The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

2 hours ago, spockrock said:

Documented quotes going completely against your made up story are irrelevant? 

That sounds about right.

It's not made up ,   It is actual  fact .     Whether  you  think so or not  matters not  .      

14 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Espn is going to put things lightly by quoting Rutherford  saying it was Mutual  .     That is what i like to call fake news !

It was not mutual  ,  and    in the end  Skinner did not go .       Total Headcase ! 

It's been shown, time and time again, that hockey is a big business. When a guy is released, or traded, the reaction is, "It's a business." When a player puts his career first, it should be recognized as a business decision. An established star, with a concussion history, doesn't want to go to the A, where a young guy might want to make a name for himself by laying a big hit on a star, and he gets labeled a head case. Teams can treat players as a commodity, but players are thought of in a negative light if they look out for themselves. Skinner is a goal scorer. He doesn't get paid the big money to play D. Just because he doesn't fit in Brindy's system, it doesn't make him a headcase, It just makes him a bad fit. Unless you personally know Skinner, it's wrong to lay a personal label on him.

• Like 6

9 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Their 

There 

They're 

Thank you Grammar  police   .  

BTW   he was 20  ,  He was 18  in 2010 , the lockout happened in the  2012-2013 season   and return to play happened  in January  6th  2013  

Skinner would of been 20  , his birthday is in may the 16th ( birth year 1992 )  ,    he would  HAVE   been 20  that   year in 2012 . 

You are correct; i yield on my statement he was 19 - he turned 20 the summer before.

I've stayed out of this so far primarily to avoid giving Ky the satisfaction of watching me jump in, 😄 but I think even he would agree that Skinner, while many things, is not a head case.

He's a former figure skater who knew how to score the puck in ways and from spots that 95% of guys who ever lace them up in this league can only dream abou. The fact that Roddy didn't like him and stuck him on the third line (read: Roddy cut his nose to spite his face) in his last year, purposely deflating the value he might otherwise have returned, is merely indicative to me of the length of the immaturity streak running down Roddy's back.

It's something he reminded us of again recently, when he took the crybaby approach in addressing what he saw as the injustices of the officiating in the playoffs. It made him feel better... but it screwed the team, and good. He might have instead placed the blame for the lack of a response to that adversity where it belongs--on the team he (supposedly) coaches--but it seems he wants to be both his players' friend and their boss. Take it from someone who's worked in management a lot longer than you, Brindy: That never works.   

• Like 2

It would have been more economical to say it like this: You suck Brindy and its all your fault.

Somehow this went from a critique of what is inside a players head(only they know) to this.

25 minutes ago, cc said:

It would have been more economical to say it like this: You suck Brindy and its all your fault.

Somehow this went from a critique of what is inside a players head(only they know) to this.

it's called Off Season, and we recycle? It just seems odd this year that it's coming up in October?

Let me see if I can steer this in another direction? Not sure if this is proper forum, but it was neither a "trade" or "free agent frenzy" although could be the latter, but I've been curious what the group thinks on the Jeremy Bracco signing? I inquired on Canes Country site about the signing and supposedly a Marlies reporter has hinted at problems??? Anyone else picking up on anything or is this another example of fan vilification?

Wanted to add that I'm assuming the committee did their research, and just hope this is not some sort of reclamation project. If so, what a way to begin a brand new affiliation with our AHL team? Not sure it would be good for our youngsters to be in a contentious atmosphere, so I'm really doubting the unspoken reports about him? It is a fact that he did take time out of last season for "personal reasons"?

Now, another poster has added these issues could relate to "gambling"?

Edited by KJUNKANE

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Let me see if I can steer this in another direction? Not sure if this is proper forum, but it was neither a "trade" or "free agent frenzy" although could be the latter, but I've been curious what the group thinks on the Jeremy Bracco signing? I inquired on Canes Country site about the signing and supposedly a Marlies reporter has hinted at problems??? Anyone else picking up on anything or is this another example of fan vilification?

Wanted to add that I'm assuming the committee did their research, and just hope this is not some sort of reclamation project. If so, what a way to begin a brand new affiliation with our AHL team? Not sure it would be good for our youngsters to be in a contentious atmosphere, so I'm really doubting the unspoken reports about him? It is a fact that he did take time out of last season for "personal reasons"?

What   has been  reported    with Helvig last year  did not  stop the canes  from still keeping him .   So who knows anymore .   Up is down   left is right  ,  Canes  seem perfectly happy  with  ignoring once again  the Goalie  problem .  

Edited by Canesfanforever

10 hours ago, cc said:

It would have been more economical to say it like this

I'm sorry you found it too long. Then again, if that's the message you took from it, your reading comprehension could be lacking.

8 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

What   has been  reported    with Helvig last year  did not  stop the canes  from still keeping him .   So who knows anymore .   Up is down   left is right  ,  Canes  seem perfectly happy  with  ignoring once again  the Goalie  problem .  

Well i mean the Canes don't have a 'franchise goaltender' for sure, but it isn't like they have two sieves out there either.  And, if the scuttlebutt can be trusted, they did make some attempts, which doesn't equate to ignoring.  I'm as ready as you are to see them land a long-term dudeman, but the offseason isn't half over.  The sky isn't falling yet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Not sure how this relates to my post, Cff? Did Helvig have issues because if so, I did not see that reference? Bracco's resulted in his having to take time off from playing and that's what I was concerned about. Did the same happen to Helvig whom I don't follow closely?

It's amazing what Skinner can still stir up around here. The only thing I'll add is that more than one coach didn't trust him on the top line. He was, and is a very unconventional player, who seemed to have trouble meshing with a lot of guys. And then there was the lack of D, especially in the D zone. Seems that what line to put him on has been an issue since he got here.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not sure how this relates to my post, Cff? Did Helvig have issues because if so, I did not see that reference? Bracco's resulted in his having to take time off from playing and that's what I was concerned about. Did the same happen to Helvig whom I don't follow closely?

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/28845972/canes-prospect-jeremy-helvig-detained-suspicion-battery-florida

22 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

I like the Bracco signing. It looks like he may have been buried in the deep Leafs forward corps. I believe he’s only 23 and has been successful in all stages of his career. Given some confidence, he may make the team and contribute. Kind of reminds me of young d-men in the Canes system. 

On 10/17/2020 at 3:00 PM, Canesfanforever said:

It was during that mini  Lockout season  when the Canes  asked Skinner if he wanted to play some games in the ahl   and then get brought back up if the NHL season were to start up .   Skinner said  no .    The Management thought it would be good for his development  , and  help him in some areas that he could of worked out   and once the NHL  Lockout  would end   he would of got brought right back up .    Sense he was on a one way contract they could   send him to the ahl   before  the leagues started to protect him  from waivers . 

Given that one hit by an AHLer during that time could end your career (and did for a guy) I didn’t think it was a bad decision to opt out.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:37 PM, Canesfanforever said:

It did not stop Fleury or  Necas  or many other players the canes  drafted ,    and got much needed  ahl  development for their NHL game .    Where did you hear  that it was over  his  fears of getting injured  and ruin his future earnings ? 

Comparing   Necas and   ,  Fluery to Skinner at   that  specific point  in their (there  , they’re  ) respective  careers is uninformed  . Neither Necas , or Fleury was   Anywhere near Skins , a 31 goal scoring  Calder winning    18 yr.  old. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

Comparing   Necas and   ,  Fluery to Skinner at   that  specific point  in their (there  , they’re  ) respective  careers is uninformed  . Neither Necas , or Fleury was   Anywhere near Skins , a 31 goal scoring  Calder winning    18 yr.  old. 

It is  hard to compare  them over skinner simply off the base of   Fleury  and Necas are more complete over all players than Skinner .     Necas   and  Fleury   both want to improve their game  to a degree that  not only helps themselves out but their team mates .    Skinner only focused on one area of the game and that is to pot goals  .    Id Rather  have a guy who can kill a penalty or  be dependable   as a team mate instead of being Selfish  like Skinner  was /  is . 

14 minutes ago, raleighcaniac said:

I don't know what all of this debate about Skinner's value has to do with the Canes anymore.  Granted, he is a sniper who can find the back of the net.  Most teams can probably afford to use up one forward spot to such a 1 dimensional player.  Put him on your 1st power play unit and try and hide him defensively.  In baseball, players who can hit but not defend can become designate hitters.  Hockey does not have a position for 1 dimensional players.

If Laine is another 1 dimensional player, then given the alternative of moving forward with him (at cost) versus moving forward the combination of a talented forward (Necas) and a defenseman who has grown into an NHL player who plays a responsible game and hits hard at controlled costs, well, that is not even a question that warrants much evaluation.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

We'll see. He might demand to call AHL games when the spirit moves him and queer the deal.

Man, you really dislike JF. I do think Kenny Albert will get consideration, though. 

Im no mathematician  so if i get this wrong  which i'm  i might ,     save your hate   cause no one needs it   cause  your  are not helping !

So  a look at capfriendly  im looking at the canes  budget   they have a total  as of now 5 million in cap 

They have  2  players that  have filed for arbitration  that are still in the air .  

Fleury and Foegele  . 

It is assumed  that both might get  2 million aav . 

so that  5 is now down to 1 million in cap .  

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Following next year   ( expansion draft included ) 

Either Skjei  , Fleury , Bean or Gardiner  might be selected .

With Bean  he would be a rfa next year  

with Skjei   has a 5 mill aav cap 

with Gardiner   has 4 mill aav cap 

Fleury will  ( Assumed )  to have a 2 mill aav cap 

Seattle  will pick one of those  guys  

Best option for Seattle  might be Bean  or it could be   Fleury  .   Gardiner and Skjei  deals are unattractive . 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HWSNBN 2 mill  aav cap comes off  

so thats 3 mill  so far  from whats left over ,  

Hamilton

Dzingle 

Martinook

Mcginn 

Mrazek 

Reimer   all come off 

19 mill in cap  space 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is where it gets tricky 

Svechnikov 

Hamilton 

( goalies ) 

Will be needed   

and  then you have re-sign    several  rfa's    and Sign several players that are unsigned  (  this is where the math gets fuzzy if it has not already  ) 

The following year  RFA's  that need contracts   are 

Necas 

Keane 

Sellgren 

Matheos 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How much cap will the canes  have in  a flat cap year   after signing  Hamilton , Svechnikov , Extending Necas the following season ?

It's  thought  on these forums that Hamilton  will command 8 million .

Svech  could  go for a bridge deal for now  and then sign  for big money later on  .

Im not sure how much that Bridge deal would be ? 

with 19 million in cap space   to spend   .   

I think that  the canes  best option going forward is to try and find a trade partner to move Nino and Gardiner   .     

Then after 3 years   walk away from Staal if he  wont  take on a cheaper  contract  ,  somewhere  in the 2 mill  aav  bracket .  for a short time . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

save your hate   cause no one needs it   cause  your  are not helping !

I'm not hating, but "your are not helping", helping what? As far as I'm concerned Cff, you better stick to your day job, because between Covid, who knows what the coming season will be like financial wise and so many other unknown twists, it seems to me that speculation on these issues is an exercise in futility. But if it is your passion, have at it.