The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

12 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

Im no mathematician  so if i get this wrong  which i'm  i might ,     save your hate   cause no one needs it   cause  your  are not helping !

So  a look at capfriendly  im looking at the canes  budget   they have a total  as of now 5 million in cap 

They have  2  players that  have filed for arbitration  that are still in the air .  

Fleury and Foegele  . 

It is assumed  that both might get  2 million aav . 

so that  5 is now down to 1 million in cap .  

Unfortunately, both Fleury and Foegele have arbitration rights.  Waddell would be fortunate to sign both of them for $4m.

And looking down the line, losing Dzingel, McGinn and Martinook (totals about $7.5m) next off-season will likely only pay

for Svechnikov's AAV extension.  I don't envision him taking a bridge deal.  If you add that up, you have no money left and

no depth amongst your forwards.  If you start lopping off under performing players on the roster it only means you can keep

Hamilton.  It doesn't solve the lack of warm bodies problem let alone the lack of quality depth players.

1 hour ago, MidnightAngel said:

Unfortunately, both Fleury and Foegele have arbitration rights.  Waddell would be fortunate to sign both of them for $4m.

And looking down the line, losing Dzingel, McGinn and Martinook (totals about $7.5m) next off-season will likely only pay

for Svechnikov's AAV extension.  I don't envision him taking a bridge deal.  If you add that up, you have no money left and

no depth amongst your forwards.  If you start lopping off under performing players on the roster it only means you can keep

Hamilton.  It doesn't solve the lack of warm bodies problem let alone the lack of quality depth players.

You don’t envision Svechnikov taking a bridge deal even though that’s been what the front office as well as the insidurz have been saying is most likely? Hmmm...

Semin’s buyout also comes off the books next year, another $2.33M. I’d imagine Niederreiter’s last year is bought out too, if he has another lackluster year, that’d be another $3.5M or so cap freed up. 

Keeping Hamilton will  force them to be very tight aganst the cap, but it’s certainly doable. It helps immensely if they drop one of Gardiner or Skjei and if they have prospects on ELCs ready to replace some underperforming forwards. Lorentz, Cotton and Drury,  if he’s signed, might be ready for bottom 6 minutes next year, and maybe you get a surprise out of Bokk/Gunler/Suzuki/Jarvis/Rees in terms of being ready sooner rather than later for top 9 minutes

Edited by spockrock

1 hour ago, MidnightAngel said:

Svech might agree on a bridge deal for time period with flat cap and then ask for a bigger deal when cap goes up

I think we’ll see a 2 year bridge for Svech. I don’t think the front office wants to pay a winger more than their franchise center.  So, Svech will bet on himself and want a bridge deal.

2 year makes the most sense for the organization.

Gardiner’s and Staal’s contracts will be done at the same time, it will be before Aho’s & Turbo’s deals are up, will save enough for us to fix our contracts before giving him big money, and we will have control of him through 31 years of age, his best years.

Edited by gocanes0506

12 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

But if it is your passion, have at it.

It's a little frenetic.  Sometimes I like the passion.  Sometimes not.  But really, can someone get cff a keyboard fix?  That space key has been out of order for over a year now.  I know, I'm the 100th person to mention this.  We need a gofundme or something.

• Like 6

Given how close  the canes are at the Cap  I would not be surprised to see the Canes  shed some other Contracts  off if  the price of trading  some other contracts  are more than they bargained for .   Namely  Trocheck  , and   Skjei if their performance dwindles .       

7 hours ago, wxray1 said:

It's a little frenetic.  Sometimes I like the passion.  Sometimes not.  But really, can someone get cff a keyboard fix?  That space key has been out of order for over a year now.  I know, I'm the 100th person to mention this.  We need a gofundme or something.

I’ll  check   And see if   Gofund  Me  will  allow this  ,  to proceed   .

• Like 4

Sign Devin Shore to a 1 year, 2 way deal.

A former Panthers 2nd round pick from 2009. He played in the KHL and Swiss league for the last 3 seasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

A former Panthers 2nd round pick from 2009. He played in the KHL and Swiss league for the last 3 seasons.

More AHL guys .    Assuming they could not bring in Puistola , Honka or Sellgren  yet since their seasons  in Europe already started ? 

3 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

More AHL guys .    Assuming they could not bring in Puistola , Honka or Sellgren  yet since their seasons  in Europe already started ? 

We can bring European folks that are on loan without a transfer fee. I doubt that anyone is brought over until camp is known. AHL probably gets pushed back as well.

28 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

We can bring European folks that are on loan without a transfer fee. I doubt that anyone is brought over until camp is known. AHL probably gets pushed back as well.

I figured as much ,   Teams  in the AHL  depend big time on ticket sells and  with how things are going I don't know if there will even be a season .   NHL marked  date is  January but for the AHL  they have not come forth yet to my knowledge of any planed date .  

29 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I figured as much ,   Teams  in the AHL  depend big time on ticket sells and  with how things are going I don't know if there will even be a season .   NHL marked  date is  January but for the AHL  they have not come forth yet to my knowledge of any planed date .  

They said December 4th but folks have speculated it will get pushed into January 

17 hours ago, spockrock said:

You don’t envision Svechnikov taking a bridge deal even though that’s been what the front office as well as the insidurz have been saying is most likely? Hmmm...

16 hours ago, Bonivan said:

Svech might agree on a bridge deal for time period with flat cap and then ask for a bigger deal when cap goes up

16 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I think we’ll see a 2 year bridge for Svech. I don’t think the front office wants to pay a winger more than their franchise center.  So, Svech will bet on himself and want a bridge deal.

2 year makes the most sense for the organization.

Gardiner’s and Staal’s contracts will be done at the same time, it will be before Aho’s & Turbo’s deals are up, will save enough for us to fix our contracts before giving him big money, and we will have control of him through 31 years of age, his best years.

All very good points.  I know that the Committee has indicated they want a 2-year deal but the only person that matters is what Svech wants.

He's driving the bus, not Waddell and not Dundon.  If he wants a 5 to 8 year deal I think he'll get it.  And really, why shouldn't he?

4 hours ago, MidnightAngel said:

All very good points.  I know that the Committee has indicated they want a 2-year deal but the only person that matters is what Svech wants.

He's driving the bus, not Waddell and not Dundon.  If he wants a 5 to 8 year deal I think he'll get it.  And really, why shouldn't he?

I think you have this completely wrong.

The front office wants to lock him him as long as they can. Svechnikov will likely not want to lock himself down to a potentially lower number over 8 yrs, thus they’ll settle on a bridge deal, a la Laine. Svechnikov will bet on himself to produce more and also be worth more on his long term deal to come after his bridge is up. 

Why lock yourself down at $7.5M x 8 now when you could do $6M or more x 2 now and be worth $9M or more x 8 later?

5 hours ago, MidnightAngel said:

Its flipped. The FO wants Svech locked up long term but I don’t think we will offer the money to entice him.  So, he is going to want a bridge deal to bet on himself. 

A three year bridge makes the most sense but the timing of the contract doesn’t. Unless we sign to a 3 year with full commitment that we extend him before his 3rd year is over. Or committed to extending Aho / Turbo before their are up.

If (and when) Svech proves himself over the two-year span, think at least $10M/year for 8 years for Svech after that. Covid will be over, the TV deal will be swinging in, and there will be a big bump in salaries on the near-term horizon. 

BTW, what would Svech get on a two year bridge? $6M? 

So I ran some numbers, and TBH, the bridge is fine. Assuming it would take $8M X 8 to lock him long term, then to get 10 years of Svech, we'd have to pay for two years of prime Svech after the 8. That deal would be with 28 yo UFA Svech and would cost a lot. Who knows where salaries are 9 years from now, but as an estimate;

Bridge:

2 x 6M = 12 M + $8 x $10M = 80M, Total: $94M

Long Deal, (leaves 2 years at end to pay in new UFA deal): Assumes it will take at least $9M/year to get him to sign for 8 years. (It would for me if I were him).

8 x 9 = $72M, 2 X 15 = 30M Total $102M.

Although the later deal costs $8M more, there are other benefits: 1. The pay in 9 years is in inflated dollars vs today. 2. Presumably we get to a better deal doing his UFA-preventing deal 2 years sooner. I guess it gives us 2 more years to see just how good Svech gets, (but we kind of already know he's going to be great).

I think Svechnikov takes no less than $6.5M on a bridge deal. The Laine deal at $6.75M x 2 is a direct comparison, with Laine having a little bit better resume of production  then Svechnikov at time of signing.

On a long term deal, I don’t see how they get him in at any number less than $8M.

45 minutes ago, spockrock said:

On a long term deal, I don’t see how they get him in at any number less than $8M.

In my example, I used $9M/year. TBH, if I'm him, I probably don't take that either. If his game gets to where it seems to be going, and salaries get back to their usual trajectory, Svech is $10M/year in a few years. 

Personally if I'm the player, I'd go for the Aho term, but if I'm the team I'd avoid that. I'd take say 5 X $7.5. $7= $37.5M, maybe $20M after taxes, live on say $2M over those 5 years and you are left with $18M even if you never play again. You could live on $720K/year (about $1.3M/year gross) for the rest of his life and never have to work again. So basically it's enough term to be well set for life even if it all comes apart. BUT then he's also a UFA heading into his prime, where he should be able to ink a long term deal for at least $80M more. 

Canes Finally signed a goalie  and it's for the Chicago Wolves .   Antoine  Bibeau   1 year 700000 AAV . 

2013 6th round  Toronto pick  

SEASON TEAM LEAGUE   GP GAA Sv%   PLAYOFFS GP GAA Sv%
2009-10 Trois-Rivières Estacades QMAAA   22 3.46 0.864 | PLAYOFFS 2 3.04 0.900
2010-11 Lewiston MAINEiacs QMJHL   3 2.10 0.914 |        
  Trois-Rivières Estacades QMAAA   29 3.27 0.895 | PLAYOFFS 5 4.74 0.837
2011-12 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL   29 4.46 0.868 |        
2012-13 Prince Edward Island Rocket QMJHL   46 2.81 0.911 | PLAYOFFS 6 3.37 0.907
2013-14 Charlottetown Islanders QMJHL   26 3.29 0.911 |        
  Val-dOr Foreurs QMJHL   22 3.03 0.900 | PLAYOFFS 24 2.80 0.913
  Val-dOr Foreurs M-Cup   4 2.76 0.932 |        
2014-15 Toronto Marlies AHL   32 2.60 0.913 | PLAYOFFS 1 3.13 0.929
2015-16 Toronto Marlies AHL   40 2.70 0.909 | PLAYOFFS 12 2.73 0.900
2016-17 Toronto Maple LeafsToronto Maple Leafs NHL   2 1.99 0.927 |        
  Toronto Marlies AHL   32 3.08 0.894 | PLAYOFFS 1 3.23 0.882
2017-18 San Jose Barracuda AHL   43 2.37 0.919 | PLAYOFFS 4 3.68 0.865
2018-19 San Jose Barracuda AHL   35 2.89 0.904 | PLAYOFFS 1 9.99 0.625
2019-20 Colorado AvalancheColorado Avalanche NHL   2 3.27 0.881 |        
  Colorado Eagles AHL   2 6.02 0.765 |      

Does anyone get the feeling that we maybe are going to try to bring up Ned since we did not pursue a starting goalie, or just stick with what we have?  Seems like we are concentrating more past week in filling the AHL roster.  I know we have to have them, but it was just not what I had expected.

Edited by Tightlinez

Like DW said, the Wolves are not the same as the Checkers. Charlotte was strictly our AHL affiliate, whereas Chicago is a little bit more akin to a team of its own. The Wolves have a pretty good history and I think their standard is slightly above the normal AHL team.

They are not going to have a lineup of all green/first year players, it was basically said to expect to see a more veteran presence in Chicago. I think that’s what we are seeing.

• Like 1

...oh, and I forgot to add that I’m all for having higher expectations on our AHL affiliate. I think it benefits our players to experiencing winning instead of dismal seasons, followed up by a good season, then another dismal season, etc.. Hopefully this is the case and Chicago proves to be at least average to good on a consistent basis to keep the players fully engaged.

Edited by Kyrule

I think a lot of the team that was  the checkers   of last year went on to sign with different teams  .    Which would explain why the Canes are making these AHL moves .    November is  the month  when Foe and Fleury  will  come back with contracts . 

20 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

This guy is mainly for the AHL, but he also has 94 NHL games, and he's a center. 

As I'd mentioned in previous posts, while our NHL lineup will be hard to crack, and our 2-4 years out prospect pool is rich, this season's AHL veteran, NHL call up pool was a bit thin at forward. Between signing Fast and Shore, there is at least a little of that kind of depth to add to Bishop. 

And yes, Fast will play with the Canes, but we will have an extra forward if everyone is healthy, so that's depth too.