The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

2 hours ago, Kyrule said:

Like DW said, the Wolves are not the same as the Checkers. Charlotte was strictly our AHL affiliate, whereas Chicago is a little bit more akin to a team of its own. The Wolves have a pretty good history and I think their standard is slightly above the normal AHL team.

They are not going to have a lineup of all green/first year players, it was basically said to expect to see a more veteran presence in Chicago. I think that’s what we are seeing.

This is the down and dirty of the situation.

Waddell said Chicago is different in that they will help foot some of the bill of AHL veterans (who I would presume is our preferred call up targets). This idea is beneficial to us in a few ways. 1. we can leave prospects in Europe longer before bringing them over and starting their ELCs (also no transfer fees!), cheaper for us with veterans, prospects in Chicago have some mentors, and we arent wasting precious development time being an extra / 8 minute TOI, 12th forward in Raleigh.  

We will see a very heavy veteran team this season because we have 7 prospects in Bean, Keane, Ned, David Cotton, Smallman and Mattheos in the AHL.  That is it. 

Prospects will begin flooding the scene this coming April / whenever the CHL and Euro leagues end with Suzuki, Rees, Bokk, Sellgren, etc coming in to join the AHL affiliate.  I think we will see a Chicago roster in 21-22 that is at least 10 prospects deep.  

15 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

we have 7 prospects in Bean, Keane, Ned, David Cotton, Smallman and Mattheos

Am I confused go? I count 6 so who's the 7th?

20 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

We can bring European folks that are on loan without a transfer fee. I doubt that anyone is brought over until camp is known. AHL probably gets pushed back as well.

Is Bettman still calling for an 82 game sched beginning Jan 1?  If so he isn’t lucid. That will in turn push back the 21/22 season. Where does this end so seasons going forward get back to the more agreeable Oct-June timeline?

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Am I confused go? I count 6 so who's the 7th?

Sorry.  I can’t count. Bokk maybe. I guess we count Lorentz as the 7th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, raleighcaniac said:

Is Bettman still calling for an 82 game sched beginning Jan 1?  If so he isn’t lucid. That will in turn push back the 21/22 season. Where does this end so seasons going forward get back to the more agreeable Oct-June timeline?

We can’t creep into the Olympics. So that will force us into a regular schedule the following season.  They plan to cram as many games as they can between January and April with playoffs is the assumed plan.  Carrying 22-23 players will be a necessity. They will be playing so often guys will need to rotate out.

Edited by gocanes0506

16 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

We can’t creep into a the Olympics. So that will force us into a regular schedule the following season.  They plan to cram as many games as they can between January and April with playoffs is the assumed plan.  Carrying 22-23 players will be a necessity. They will be playing so often guys will need to rotate out.

I've heard rumblings of considering 5 in 7.  So, think like this:  play M-T,  off W, play Th-F, off Sa, play Su. 

Insanity.

BTW, I think that's a trial balloon to see what kind of pushback will occur from the players.

Edited by wxray1

16 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

I've heard rumblings of considering 5 in 7.  So, think like this:  play M-T,  off W, play Th-F, off Sa, play Su. 

Insanity.

BTW, I think that's a trial balloon to see what kind of pushback will occur from the players.

It’ll be interesting. Players will want to play as many games as possible to earn as much pay as they can and at the same time not take years off their career.

Like I said before. It’s a pipe dean. For fans for sure and probably in general. The governor is in complete control over what if anything is allowed.

On 10/21/2020 at 7:02 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Sign Devin Shore to a 1 year, 2 way deal.

A former Panthers 2nd round pick from 2009. He played in the KHL and Swiss league for the last 3 seasons.

Minor correction here, gocanes.

It's Drew Shore, not Devin.

Devin is three years younger (drafted by Dallas in 2012) and is a UFA after not receiving a qualifying offer from the Blue Jackets.

Edited by JonKerfoot
misspelling

6 hours ago, Tightlinez said:

Does anyone get the feeling that we maybe are going to try to bring up Ned since we did not pursue a starting goalie, or just stick with what we have?  Seems like we are concentrating more past week in filling the AHL roster.  I know we have to have them, but it was just not what I had expected.

I thought Ned's last contract was for one year of a two-way deal and one year of a one-way. Lemme check....

Yup, it is. 2019-20 was a two-way deal, $70K AHL/$725K NHL with a minimum of $125K, 2020-21 is a one-way, $750K deal with $737K cap hit.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-re-sign-alex-nedeljkovic-to-two-year-deal/c-308111566

Does this mean the Hurricanes can't stash him in the AHL? I assume he'll have to clear waivers if they try.

9 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

I thought Ned's last contract was for one year of a two-way deal and one year of a one-way. Lemme check....

Yup, it is. 2019-20 was a two-way deal, $70K AHL/$725K NHL with a minimum of $125K, 2020-21 is a one-way, $750K deal with $737K cap hit.

https://www.nhl.com/hurricanes/news/canes-re-sign-alex-nedeljkovic-to-two-year-deal/c-308111566

Does this mean the Hurricanes can't stash him in the AHL? I assume he'll have to clear waivers if they try.

They can before the start   but if they wanted to send him back to the ahl after calling him up  he would have to clear waivers .  

16 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Minor correction here, gocanes.

It's Drew Short, not Devin.

Devin is three years younger (drafted by Dallas in 2012) and is a UFA after not receiving a qualifying offer from the Blue Jackets.

Dang. Drew Shore.  Yep

11 minutes ago, JonKerfoot said:

Yes he will have to clear waivers to go down much like Forsberg last season.

6 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Dang. Drew Shore.  Yep

No worries, gocanes. Player-wise, it comes out the same - Drew signing from the KHL, Devin not getting a qualifying offer as an RFA in Columbus....

Edited by JonKerfoot
misspelling

4 hours ago, raleighcaniac said:

Play back to back to backs or every other day

Since we may not start until January, we’ll probably see a 45-50 game schedule then playoffs. Granted its based on fans being allowed.

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, spockrock said:

I think you have this completely wrong.

The front office wants to lock him him as long as they can. Svechnikov will likely not want to lock himself down to a potentially lower number over 8 yrs, thus they’ll settle on a bridge deal, a la Laine. Svechnikov will bet on himself to produce more and also be worth more on his long term deal to come after his bridge is up. 

Why lock yourself down at $7.5M x 8 now when you could do $6M or more x 2 now and be worth $9M or more x 8 later?

Yes, I could have it wrong and he's fine with a 2 or 3 year bridge deal as gocanes0506 has suggested.  And, to quote rem's figures, he

may want 8 million a year.  But I would not want to see Svechnikov do a 2 year extension and have the cap start rising again in 2023-2024

and have him asking for 13 million a year.  I thought it was bad enough when a couple of Maple Leafs signed deals like that paid 10-11m.

Still, having said that, a lot of players would take the guaranteed money now.  But having Svechnikov bet on himself would be good too.

One thing though, Svech is a better all-around player than Laine and will soon surpass him as a goalscorer.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Sorry.  I can’t count. Bokk maybe. I guess we count Lorentz as the 7th.

Any thoughts on Bokk making a 13th on this team? Somehow I'm intrigued by him.

12 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Any thoughts on Bokk making a 13th on this team? Somehow I'm intrigued by him.

I think it depends on his 2+ months in the SHL. 

if he can come out and play like bokk post WJC, he has a shot to make the roster.  If its before WJC Bokk, we probably see him stay in Sweden, if preferred, or go to Chicago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Forsling is staying on a one year, two way deal for 700k  /250k.

They must think reasonably highly of the kid to pay him $250k at the AHL level. His numbers were pretty impressive, but who knows what that actually means?

10 hours ago, LakeLivin said:

They must think reasonably highly of the kid to pay him $250k at the AHL level. His numbers were pretty impressive, but who knows what that actually means?

It means they were able to get him signed for a minimum NHL salary of $700k versus his qualifying # of more than $900K. His NHL number last year was just under $900K but he only made $70K since he stayed in the minors all year. He took the deal now because he’s guaranteed at least $250K next year no matter what, 3x’s what he made last year. Canes are likely happy to have a decent 7D option under contract for league minimum. He’s also still pretty young and has a good amount of experience.

I do think we want to make sure we have adequate NHL ready call ups at forward and at D. As I've mentioned a few times our huge collection of high-upside prospects are nearly all a year or more away outside of Bean. Also, if we end up trading one or more NHL D men or Bean. And on D it's even more important since it's a harder position to be NHL ready. 

On 10/20/2020 at 6:36 PM, bluedevilcane said:

Man, you really dislike JF. I do think Kenny Albert will get consideration, though. 

I really don't. I love his game calls, I love his long-term commitment to the org. I only hate what he tried to pull and when he tried to pull it, especially when he'd witnessed firsthand, on any number of occasions (Franchise, Hanifin, Lindholm, Kaiton to name but a few) that when it comes to business decisions, TD doesn't bluff. He tells people what's expected of them and what he's willing to pay for them to achieve it--and they can take it or leave it. 

Edited by top-shelf-1
  • Like 1