The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

27 minutes ago, top-shelf-1 said:

TD doesn't bluff. He tells people what's expected of them and what he's willing to play for them to achieve it--and they can take it or leave it. 

Or take a weekend off in Montreal 😁

• Like 1

I still think the NHL is far from over in the off-season...

Boston has a LHD hole. They have 2 big pieces that may be out for a while. Are they waiting on DeBrusk deal to figure out what they can afford?

TB has to clear cap space and sign RFAs. Which one comes first?

NYIs have to clear space and sign RFAs. 

I wonder if the NHL will see movement after the arb cases are over / the arb eligible players sign first.  Or will we see the big RFAs get close to a new deal and the teams begin postering to make room for the player(s).

Welp. That is something. 

When I put down my very first post lo those many years ago, I said to myself, "Well that's one, lets go for 20,000." I did know that at that time posts paid $0.00 per post, but I thought, "hey, I'll make it on volume".  So I not only wrote a lot of posts, I wrote a lot of words.

And now, to my amazement that 20,000th post has come. And I now fully realize just how cheap I'm working. Very very cheap, is the answer. 

Strange to be posting this in the dog days of little happening in hockey and Covid still suppressing everything on here and everywhere. 

Anyhoo, Seems like 20,000 posts is enough for anyone. It's been a pleasure.

Go Canes!

• Like 5

Since Rem will get an itchy keyboard trigger, I had to capture the moment of glory forever.  Here's 20,000.  Yeah!

Got to do this two ways just so we don't lose it.  :)

nNITNFj.jpeg

20k.JPG

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, remkin said:

Welp. That is something. 

When I put down my very first post lo those many years ago, I said to myself, "Well that's one, lets go for 20,000." I did know that at that time posts paid $0.00 per post, but I thought, "hey, I'll make it on volume".  So I not only wrote a lot of posts, I wrote a lot of words.

And now, to my amazement that 20,000th post has come. And I now fully realize just how cheap I'm working. Very very cheap, is the answer. 

Strange to be posting this in the dog days of little happening in hockey and Covid still suppressing everything on here and everywhere. 

Go Canes!

And I'm only 15K shy???

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, remkin said:

Welp. That is something. 

Go Canes!

20,000 well thought out, well reasoned, informative, and yes, sometimes lengthy posts. Don’t stop now! As with age, how often you have posted is just a number.

• Like 3

More and more articles are coming out talking about the hardships that will come with starting a new season.  

Canada doesnt seem willing to budge on their stance of allowing US teams to come north to play and vice versa.  So, we may see a new league structure for next season. 

The insider proposed 4 divisions are

Canada- all 7 Canadian teams

Metro- Philly, Boston, Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Washington, NYR, NYI, NJ

Central- TB, Florida, Chicago, Detroit, CBJ, STL, Nashville, Carolina

West- Dallas, Vegas, LA, Anaheim, Arizona, SJ, Colorado, and Minnesota

I personally hope, if this proposal is close to reality, is we switch one of the Central middle of the road / lower teams with Washington.  It would made those two divisions more competitively balanced.  Canada league is so easy, followed by the west.  Toronto is the best one and they are only 3rd/4th best in their current division. I dont know how games will be handled as we should see 45-60 games.  I cant imagine playing 60 games against the same 6-7 teams being good for fans.  

Maybe we see a 50 game schedule.  Basically we schedule of 5 games (6 in Canada's sake) against each of the "division foes" with some contingency for the games in late March / April if Canada lowers their restrictions.  I.e a 2nd schedule is made for teams for the last 15 games to play against other teams in the league if Canada allows it.  If not, the divisions continue to play against each other.  We'll probably see every team become bubble location a couple of times during the season.   

Raleigh would host 3 other teams for a 5 days / week and play 3 games in a 1 v 2, 3v4 on day 1, day off, 1 v 4, 2 v 3, day off 1 v 3, 2 v 4 (the host team would have the ideal game times to allow the small percentage of fans allowed to attend.   Fly to the next bubble and start again.  3 weeks between hosting again.  14 weeks between January and 1st week of April.  3 games in 5 days = needing 12 weeks to complete 50 games. We get each team 1 week off during the season to be home.  Then we would see another week were every team would have off around mid March.  That is the deciding point for more divisional games the rest of the season or do inter-divisional games to finish out the season.  That week would also be the deciding point for bubble playoff hockey or a more traditional set up.

If we have COVID issues we can suspend games until after the regular season as we potentially have a 1-2 week buffer in April.  As long as we end by June 30th, the league is good. 

This would cut down on travel costs for organizations and hopefully get the players as much time at home as possible.  

This is all speculation and there is a ton of variables too.  Its going to be complicated and fluid.  

Edited by gocanes0506

Anyone hearing something about Dundon bailing on the team and reverting to Karmonos, as part of the original agreement?  A 3 year out?

I mean, what?

18 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Anyone hearing something about Dundon bailing on the team and reverting to Karmonos, as part of the original agreement?  A 3 year out?

I mean, what?

he had a clause that would allow him to get out of the deal after 3 years, if he wanted.  Based on his level of involvement and investment, I highly doubt he enacts the clause.  Pierre M. just trying to generate news on news-less days

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

he had a clause that would allow him to get out of the deal after 3 years, if he wanted.  Based on his level of involvement and investment, I highly doubt he enacts the clause.  Pierre M. just trying to generate news on news-less days

It is from Pierre?  Oh crap, no way am I going to click there.

Thanks.

Civian said Pierre immediately said afterwards "I also could be wrong" putting that extra spicy tabloid feel onto the statement.

Maybe I risk egg on the face on this -

To me, in all the interviews Dundon has done he comes across as invested long-term in the franchise.

To Pierre, yeah dude, it's easy to throw it out there that Dundon can walk leaving PK, Jr. holding the bill.  I'm not a journalist, but I think minimum wage can generate click bait.

Excuse me while I rush to the bank and get my season ticket money back..

Tripp Tracey  recently had a interview with Tom Dundon  and the impression Dundon   shown was he loves the team  loves the location  and loves the fans  here in raleigh  .   And he loves  the staff he  has  .    Also  when questioned about  Justin Williams  involvement with the Canes  Tom did not say what  he had in mind but what ever it was the door was open for him to be involved with the hurricanes .     That to me  shows no signs of backing off now.  lol 

On 10/28/2020 at 3:31 PM, gocanes0506 said:

Canada league is so easy, followed by the west.  Toronto is the best one and they are only 3rd/4th best in their current division. I dont know how games will be handled as we should see 45-60 games.  I cant imagine playing 60 games against the same 6-7 teams being good for fans.  

Two thoughts...I think of the intensity of the original 6 where every game had carry over hate and and discontent. Those rivalry’s were blood-in-the-eye intense. I think it would be far more exciting watching real deep rooted rivalries than the ‘filler’ games that are played now by playing teams that aren’t in the same Conference and a few thousand miles away. My other thought is Canada hasn’t lifted the Cup since ‘93. I think Cdns would hugely embrace an all Canada league where rivalry’s would become intense and meaningful over night. That would be fun to watch. More fun than watching Canes v Yotes or Leafs v Preds type of matchups.  

Welp. Gotta bust the glass of the 20,000'th post with something. Might as well be something entertaining.

Scoring your first ever goal pro hockey goal? Great! Celebrating this way? Priceless.

• Like 6

On 10/26/2020 at 5:27 PM, remkin said:

Welp. That is something. 

Go Canes!

Pleasure to have you Rem!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, remkin said:

Welp. Gotta bust the glass of the 20,000'th post with something. Might as well be something entertaining.

Scoring your first ever goal pro hockey goal? Great! Celebrating this way? Priceless.

Gotta love, thanks rem😁

• Like 1

Pronman recently ranked the best NHL players and prospects under 23. This includes this year's draft. He ranked the top 155. This is about 6 years worth of complete drafts. The names on this list are impressive, especially in the top half.

#6: Svech

#35: Martin Necas

#75: Seth Jarvis

#78: Jake Bean

#100: Ryan Suzuki

#123: Noel Gunler

#140: D Bokk

It's even better since Aho just missed by a few months.

Also, since we were talking about him, Laine was #7.