The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
LakeLivin

Offseason Talk 2020

4 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I doubt Hall gets that amount.  

Maybe not, but that's the banter? A former #1 pick and scoring pretty well last year? And his last chance at a big payday, IDK go, he's going to be looking for it. Whether he gets that amount or not is between his agent and the bartering GM.

JR is now in JR mode. Win at all costs. Trade the future. He has traded next year's first rounder too. Look, some could argue with Crosby and Malkin there it's the right move. Heck Crosby and Malkin are probably in favor. But JR trades first rounders like their raffle tickets to win a toaster oven. I look at that trade and wonder if we could have gotten that pick. #15 overall in this draft is still going to be a very good player. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, remkin said:

JR is now in JR mode. Win at all costs. Trade the future. He has traded next year's first rounder too. Look, some could argue with Crosby and Malkin there it's the right move. Heck Crosby and Malkin are probably in favor. But JR trades first rounders like their raffle tickets to win a toaster oven. I look at that trade and wonder if we could have gotten that pick. #15 overall in this draft is still going to be a very good player. 

I don’t really know Kapanen’s stats, but Toronto was way heavy $$$ in its forward group. If Crosby and Malkin are not past their best years, they are going to be soon. The soonest a #15 pick is likely to help you is 2 years if it’s a forward, and based on Fleury and Bean, 3-5 years if it’s a defenseman. And at 15, you get some Boychucks who never pan out. JR is trade happy, but in Pittsburgh’s position, I don’t see this as a bad deal. Of course, when it’s time for the rebuild, JR will be gone, and Pittsburgh is going to have a long road back. Reading some Pittsburgh blogs, I got the impression that they needed more defensive help than offensive though. Anyway, if they don’t make the playoffs and have a decent run in them next year, I see JR being shown the door. The coach goes first (done), then the GM.

52 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

I don’t really know Kapanen’s stats, but Toronto was way heavy $$$ in its forward group. If Crosby and Malkin are not past their best years, they are going to be soon. The soonest a #15 pick is likely to help you is 2 years if it’s a forward, and based on Fleury and Bean, 3-5 years if it’s a defenseman. And at 15, you get some Boychucks who never pan out. JR is trade happy, but in Pittsburgh’s position, I don’t see this as a bad deal. Of course, when it’s time for the rebuild, JR will be gone, and Pittsburgh is going to have a long road back. Reading some Pittsburgh blogs, I got the impression that they needed more defensive help than offensive though. Anyway, if they don’t make the playoffs and have a decent run in them next year, I see JR being shown the door. The coach goes first (done), then the GM.

He's been at an average year of around 18 goals, 42 points over 82 games the last two years. He was a late first rounder in 2014. At 24 he's about hitting his peak. He's a nice player. Boomer Gordon was probably a bit harsh when he said today, that JR could go over to Europe and sign a guy about as good because 18 goals and 42 points is actually not bad. That is a center mass, second line winger. Signing a guy from Europe typically gets you more like 12 goals and 30 points. 

I agree that the #15 draft pick is probably at least 2 and likely 3 years away. And it probably makes sense.  Also, while #15 in some drafts does get you a Boychuk, it can also get you a Dylan Larkin or J.T. Miller. But it's a fair point. In most drafts it's a coin flip that you get a guy as good as a 42 point 18 goal guy. I would argue that this year's draft is pretty deep though. #15 this year has a good chance of being a very good player. 

Also, the Penguins have been trading away first rounders like crazy. Since 2013, they've had 2 first rounders: last year's 21 pick and ironically Kapanen in 2014. And they've traded this one and next year's. That's 2 first rounders in 9 drafts from 2013 to 2021. Tends to leave the cupboard pretty bare. Once this Crosby/Malkin/LeTang thing starts to fade, it's going to be a Detroit-like trip back up. I guess the plan will be what it was before. Ride it down. Then hit bottom for a few years, then build back up. There will likely be no retool most likely.

Dubas has said he would be open to trading the 1st rounder they just got 15th, for a player that could help their team. I would guess a D-man. 

How do yall feel about 2 first round picks?

2 minutes ago, AmxCanes said:

Dubas has said he would be open to trading the 1st rounder they just got 15th, for a player that could help their team. I would guess a D-man. 

Unless its for Skjei or Bean, it doesnt make a ton of sense knowing that Bean is heir apparent.  

I think all the GMs are willing to move their 1st rounder for the right price.  Understand right =/= fair in some cases like 1-5OA.  

7 minutes ago, AmxCanes said:

Send them Jake Gardiner ;) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

They were talking between periods tonight that the Pens might want to deal Murray. Is he worth bringing in to be #1 goalie?

The only difference between Murray and Mrazek is the highs in his game a slightly higher.  Murray has some serious lows and is very inconsistent.  Also, his 2 cups will drive up cost, unnecessarily.  Murray and Holtby will be vastly overpaid this off-season because of their distant past, not for their records recently.  Stay away from Murray.

• Like 1

If the canes  could trade out  a goalie and bring in something   id rather it be picks  for 2022  and 2023  ,  But that is only if    we  could bring in jacob  Markstrom    cheap . if not  then roll the dice  already . 

The goalies we have are not top tier goalies, but they are not bad and are not the reason we are no longer playing. If there is a clear upgrade for a reasonable price by all means go for it but we have bigger fish to fry in order to improve the team.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Derailed75 said:

The goalies we have are not top tier goalies, but they are not bad and are not the reason we are no longer playing. If there is a clear upgrade for a reasonable price by all means go for it but we have bigger fish to fry in order to improve the team.

Namely   Nino and  Dzingle . 

2 hours ago, Canesfanforever said:

If the canes  could trade out  a goalie and bring in something   id rather it be picks  for 2022  and 2023  ,  But that is only if    we  could bring in jacob  Markstrom    cheap . if not  then roll the dice  already . 

I cant see Vancouver not resigning Markstrom, but Demko may be available if they do ?

4 minutes ago, AmxCanes said:

I cant see Vancouver not resigning Markstrom, but Demko may be available if they do ?

Even if they don’t, Buffalo,

Ottawa, and Detroit are gonna go HARD after him 

Gardiner, Dzingel and NIno for Toronto's #15 pick. Pretty sure they don't want any of that, but hey, a guy can try. 

Imagine if we got both of Toronto's picks. 

• Like 3

Here's a question. Would you do Brady Skjei for that #15 Toronto pick? As much as I'm not enamored with Gardiner, it would let us get Bean in there and maybe even keep Edmundson as an extra and room to sign Hamilton, which is, to me at the top of the list. Hamilton/Slavin/Pesce/Fleury is IMO already a very solid top 4. Put Gardiner/Bean in the bottom pair using Gardiner on  PP2, is pretty solid really and fold in Edumundson and with injuries or vs certain teams.

I know it's tough to trade a guy for a draft pick, but the #15 pick in this draft is going to be a very good forward. And if, by some chance we land Askarov, we'd get a very nice forward prospect too. That could be a heck of a draft. Yes, it will take a couple of  years, but given how young this team is? Heck as those guys came in Bean would be solid and Fleury would be peak. And it would clear a ton of future cap....and we seem to be able to find serviceable UFA D men if we needed one later.

Am I talking myself into it?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, remkin said:

Gardiner, Dzingel and NIno for Toronto's #15 pick. Pretty sure they don't want any of that, but hey, a guy can try. 

Whuuutt?  Really?  3 guys we were all excited about a year ago for a  #15 pick that has a small chance of ever making the NHL?   and than Brady Skeji too now?  So basically get rid of any new arrivals in the last season and a half? 

51 minutes ago, remkin said:

1) They just dumped salary.

2) They tried for years to unload Gardiner.

3( Nino and Dzingel are not upgrades for them.

Other than those 3 reasons, I am sure the secretarial pool is typing up the trade papers now.