The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Chicago Wolves

First, I do love the way the wolve's green eyes pop off that uniform (the one realm is wearing). 

Second, I do want to hear some of the being the scenes why's and details. Sounds like the Wolves will kick in some cash for salaries, and there was a lot made of the facilities. I do think that being right near the busiest airport around will make call ups easy. TBH, outside of cost, I could probably get to O'Hare almost as quickly as driving to Charlotte. Hmmmmm.

2 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

So this decreases the organization's entrenchment in NC.  Not good.

the fandom in Charlotte is minimal and so is the impact on the bottom line.

Interesting. Just read on Wikipedia:

The Wolves are the only AHL team with a full television package. All 76 regular-season games, plus playoffs, are broadcast on WPWR-TV (My50), and WMEU-CD (The U). 

Edited by LakeLivin

reading over Waddell's and the Chicago's team points:

1. We own the coaching staff, so all the issues with prior Chicago teams only playing veterans so they could win is moot

2. Chicago is helping foot the bill on veterans. That helps us for depth on the roster, helps them stay competitive, and helps us financially

3. Chicago wont need as much help from us as they have their own tv deal and have lower travel costs.

4. Chicago wouldnt need help from us if the AHL decided to play without fans, that is huge

Sounds like a good deal.  If it helps TD maintain a cap team in Carolina, I am good with it.  The financial impact of losing Charlotte fans is very minimal.  

49 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

Worst kept secret for how long now ? lol 

Yeah, we all knew it but until it was official, it wasn't official.  Now it's official.

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

the fandom in Charlotte is minimal and so is the impact on the bottom line.

Honestly this is what i see as well, if you're meaning 'Canes fandom'.  The Chex have fans, but i really think as many of them disliked the Canes as liked them.  There might be other areas where this severance will affect things negatively, but i don't think it'll be due to losing a bunch of 'dual' fans.

22 minutes ago, coastal_caniac said:

If I was a current Checker I'd be excited.

Im sure they are .   Now  our prospects  can finally  get some much needed ice time instead of vets  taking up all the ice time .    Winner Winner chicken dinner !

If Chicago is such a better deal, who gave up the affiliation with them? I’m slightly bummed because I went to a Calder Cup final game in Charlotte and had a blast. But realistically, I would not drive that far often to see Canes prospects play. If the Wolves games are on television, is it possible to get them down here?

13 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

If Chicago is such a better deal, who gave up the affiliation with them? I’m slightly bummed because I went to a Calder Cup final game in Charlotte and had a blast. But realistically, I would not drive that far often to see Canes prospects play. If the Wolves games are on television, is it possible to get them down here?

I believe the Blues  had them last  year   and had similar issues  like the  canes did with the checkers .  

26 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

If the Wolves games are on television, is it possible to get them down here?

I was wondering that too. One can sign up for AHL tv and get them fairly cheap but there is a cost. 

I was also wondering if Shaya moves or stays with the Checkers organization? Probably stays with the Checkers? Just curious. I did really like his updates on the Cane's prospects in his 10 Thoughts write ups.

How would you expect to get an AHL game broadcast locally in Illinois without paying?

AHL-TV is not a bad deal if you just want to pay to watch a few games, rather than committing to a package deal.

Edited by coastal_caniac

20 minutes ago, Canesfanforever said:

I believe the Blues  had them last  year   and had similar issues  like the  canes did with the checkers .  

What issues did the Canes have with Checkers? Playing experienced AHL lifers at the expense of prospects?

37 minutes ago, bluedevilcane said:

Vegas was their previous affiliate. They wanted to own their AHL partner so they bought the San Antonio franchise and moved it to Henderson, NV.

1 hour ago, LakeLivin said:

Vegas was their previous affiliate. They wanted to own their AHL partner so they bought the San Antonio franchise and moved it to Henderson, NV.

So Lake, I'm confused. Seems Cff thinks it was the Blues? I have to say that Vegas makes more sense  as I'd think they would be more haughty than most teams and whereas an AHL affiliate not lasting long in there relationships may give cause for concern, I'd not think the Blues organization would be quite so difficult to work out deals? Then Cff seems to have his fingers in several pies and is knowledgeable? 

4 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

So Lake, I'm confused. Seems Cff thinks it was the Blues? I have to say that Vegas makes more sense  as I'd think they would be more haughty than most teams and whereas an AHL affiliate not lasting long in there relationships may give cause for concern, I'd not think the Blues organization would be quite so difficult to work out deals? Then Cff seems to have his fingers in several pies and is knowledgeable? 

Blues before Vegas