The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
gocanes0506

Chicago Wolves

3 minutes ago, bluedevil58 said:

Sorry.  I.think this is  big miss for the franchise and I personally feel it is a prelude of what is to come.  NHL out of the Carolinas.

Not sure why you feel that way unless you are just predisposed to feel bad. Minor league clubs change affiliation all the time, not just in the NHL but in MLB also. Seems like a year to year basis. In fact as stated the Wolves were the Blues minor club. Then they shared one season with the Knights. The Avs minor club was San Antonio but they changed to a Colorado based team while  Vegas bought the San Antonio team and moved them. In gavt San Antonio has been the affiliated of 6 NHL clubs in the last 15 years. Changing your affiliate has little to do with moving the parent club

• Like 1

13 hours ago, realmdrakkar said:

Honestly this is what i see as well, if you're meaning 'Canes fandom'.  The Chex have fans, but i really think as many of them disliked the Canes as liked them.  There might be other areas where this severance will affect things negatively, but i don't think it'll be due to losing a bunch of 'dual' fans.

You'll make a few Canes fans in Chicago.  They'll fly down for games.  It will be cheaper than going to United Center.  I'm not joking.

It won't be a lot, but it will happen some. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Derailed75 said:

Not sure why you feel that way unless you are just predisposed to feel bad. Minor league clubs change affiliation all the time, not just in the NHL but in MLB also. Seems like a year to year basis. In fact as stated the Wolves were the Blues minor club. Then they shared one season with the Knights. The Avs minor club was San Antonio but they changed to a Colorado based team while  Vegas bought the San Antonio team and moved them. In gavt San Antonio has been the affiliated of 6 NHL clubs in the last 15 years. Changing your affiliate has little to do with moving the parent club

Yes.  And don't forget the Canes changed affiliates before.  I still think that COVID is going to cause disruption in the AHL.  At this point in time, being anchored to one of the strongest teams is a plus.

And BD58's predisposition for feeling bad is well known.  He's our much beloved, balanced voice in our head, that reminds us everything isn't always sunshine, rainbows and lollipops.  He honestly has a valid point.  A big time team would buy Charlotte outright and go to the dual ownership model that is becoming popular.

Edited by wxray1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

Sorry.  I.think this is  big miss for the franchise and I personally feel it is a prelude of what is to come.  NHL out of the Carolinas.

A lease signed for the next 9 years at PNC might have something to say about that.

11 hours ago, bluedevil58 said:

After all of the Cane's recent success, I was beginning to think we'd lost your sense of gloom forever. In these troubled times, good to know there is some consistency in this upside down world!

• Like 3

I wonder if there will be any modification to the Wolves uniforms? I'd not thinking they'd do anything major like switching to Canes red, but they do have wolf shoulder patches that might be modified. Although, I'm having a hard time seeing how you'd tastefully integrate either the hurricane crest or warning flags into the Wolves color scheme. 

14 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

I wonder if there will be any modification to the Wolves uniforms? I'd not thinking they'd do anything major like switching to Canes red, but they do have wolf shoulder patches that might be modified. Although, I'm having a hard time seeing how you'd tastefully integrate either the hurricane crest or warning flags into the Wolves color scheme. 

according to the Wolves' leadership there not be any changes to the Wolves, uniforms, colors, etc.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

wolf.jpg:coollaugh:

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

according to the Wolves' leadership there not be any changes to the Wolves, uniforms, colors, etc.

I'll be bummed out big time if the Wolves change their look over this.  They've kept the same look for over 25 years through 2 leagues and multiple parent affiliations, as well as a number of years as an independent.  I hate it enough already when they do their putrid 3rd jerseys.  The jersey i'm wearing in my pic - that's all they need.  And the white version i guess, if they have to...

10 hours ago, wxray1 said:

You'll make a few Canes fans in Chicago.  They'll fly down for games.  It will be cheaper than going to United Center.  I'm not joking.

It won't be a lot, but it will happen some. 

Confirmed!

Well, I’m excited.  The Wolves play about 5 miles away from me, I get those stations that carry their games.  Looks like I’m gonna be a wolves fan after ignoring them for years!

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, MisterDobz said:

Well, I’m excited.  The Wolves play about 5 miles away from me, I get those stations that carry their games.  Looks like I’m gonna be a wolves fan after ignoring them for years!

Expecting some first hand updates on our prospects! :woohoo:

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, spockrock said:

A lease signed for the next 9 years at PNC might have something to say about that.

TD is doing exactly what smart business owners do. Improving his investment from top to bottom to build its value, and yes, probably pressure the city for a new arena at the end of those nine years. Does he threaten to move the team if it says no? Does he play the card at all? Will he be positioned to? And what about Naomi? 

Who cares? We'll find out in a decade. Let's enjoy the ride.

Hockey out of the Carolina's?  Don't bet your fat stacks on that.

Besides the new complex where the Canes will practice, there are two more NHL-sized rinks and one collegiate rink that are going to be part of the 272,000 sq ft indoor Calvert Sports Academy project in Holly Springs.  My wife's company is building it and she will be overseeing the installation of the mechanical components that freeze the ice.  Calvert is a college prep school and will recruit athletes in hockey and figure skating, and regional tournaments on the three rinks.

The growth of hockey is doing fine here. 

Edited by coastal_caniac
  • Like 2

Might be tempted to purchase a jersey from them, but which name? Guess I need to wait and see who of our group lines up with them?

Just saw Patrick Brown and Zykov are with them? Wonder how that'll play out for our guys, although I'd guess there'd not be resentment to whomever player, but more so at the organization that "dumped" them?

Edited by KJUNKANE

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

Might be tempted to purchase a jersey from them, but which name? Guess I need to wait and see who of our group lines up with them?

Just saw Patrick Brown and Zykov are with them? Wonder how that'll play out for our guys, although I'd guess there'd not be resentment to whomever player, but more so at the organization that "dumped" them?

They're both Vegas property, aren't they?  I expect they'll move on to Henderson.

On 9/11/2020 at 7:12 AM, spockrock said:

If I am not mistaken, Dundon committed to Raleigh for 7 years as part of his purchase agreement for the Canes. The lease extension has an out after 2024 or 2025 - I think tied to improvements to PNC or building a new arena. He has assuredly improved the team on the ice. He has shown no loyalty or sentimentality to anyone or anything else. Top is always saying Dundon is just making good business decisions. If the league will allow relocation, when the time comes, I believe Dundon will make another business decision as to whether Raleigh or another venue will maximize his investment. As much as he has spent, that is his right. Worrying about what he might do doesn’t do me any good so I’ll just enjoy what we have now and let the future take care of itself.

On 9/11/2020 at 4:45 PM, MisterDobz said:

:welcome:

Living that close and ignoring them for years? Ouch :hitsforehead: .    

20 hours ago, bluedevilcane said:

If I am not mistaken, Dundon committed to Raleigh for 7 years as part of his purchase agreement for the Canes. The lease extension has an out after 2024 or 2025 - I think tied to improvements to PNC or building a new arena. He has assuredly improved the team on the ice. He has shown no loyalty or sentimentality to anyone or anything else. Top is always saying Dundon is just making good business decisions. If the league will allow relocation, when the time comes, I believe Dundon will make another business decision as to whether Raleigh or another venue will maximize his investment. As much as he has spent, that is his right. Worrying about what he might do doesn’t do me any good so I’ll just enjoy what we have now and let the future take care of itself.

Name me 1  NHL team that has won the cup in the past 50 or years that ended up relocating somewhere else ?   Short answer you can't because it has not happened in that time  frame  .   Canes fans  have nothing  to worry about .   And given how much the City Council or Raleigh  loves their  Carolina Hurricanes   people can rest assured if  there is a need for a new NHL  sized Arena    in Downtown Raleigh   it will happen .  The question is when  it will eventually happen .   Canes are the 1st Professional team in the state of NC  to win  a national  championship .   Relocation's are unheard of  for teams that win a major championship  ,  Sure there is always talk  but  that is all it is , just talk .   The Club  has a successful coach , Successful  GM    A good Team ,  and Attendance is increasing every year for the club .    Canes will Stay in Raleigh . 

Edited by Canesfanforever

So, I am new to the AHL changing affiliate thing. What happens to all the players and contracts? Do they all move? Did we trade players for players? Thanks in advance!

6 minutes ago, Caniac5 said:

So, I am new to the AHL changing affiliate thing. What happens to all the players and contracts? Do they all move? Did we trade players for players? Thanks in advance!

all players under current contract with the Hurricanes move, yes.  I say it that way in case a player is on an AHL deal only. They wouldnt move. Our only AHL players on contract are Mattheos, Bean, Cotton D and J, Keane, and Ned.  That is assuming Geekie is on the big roster.  

Edited by gocanes0506
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

all players under current contract with the Hurricanes move, yes.  I say it that way in case a player is on an AHL deal only. They wouldnt move. Our only AHL players on contract are Mattheos, Bean, Cotton D and J, Keane, and Ned.  That is assuming Geekie is on the big roster.  

They all have Two way Deals Except for Ned coming into next season .  Ned will be going into  a 1 way deal ,   He could still be   a AHL  player   but if he Gets called up  to the NHL  he would not be allowed to safely re-enter the AHL if sent back down ,  In the Case of Zykov which happened .