The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Canesfanforever

Patric Hornqvist is Really Angry with Rutherford

Recently there was a trade  that  Rutherford made  by sending  Honqvist to the florida panthers for  left defense men  Mike Matheson and   forward  Colton Sceviour 

In doing so  Rutherford did not speak with   Hornqvist if he wanted to be traded or not  .   Thus  Sending  Hornqvist in   shock   when the deal was set in play .  Patric   got the message  that  the Penguins  did not want him . 

Penguins GM Jim Rutherford on Patric Hornqvist's locker room presence: "There's no question, we will miss his leadership and we will miss him. He's one of the top character players in this league... When you miss a player like that, other players have to fill in the gap."

Quote graphic featuring Penguins GM Jim Rutherford talking about the two new players from the Florida Panthers. Copy reads: "We talked about getting younger, making some changes... We had the chance to get a good young D-man that has a high skill level and a right winger that's a good player and plays his role very well."

I heard about this. It’s pretty damn hilarious.

Apparently many of Hornqvist’s teammates were not happy about this trade. That may be the bigger issue. Sure they are professionals and will move on but upsetting the locker room is never good, and it also puts the new guys in an awkward situation.

I can only bet the reason for why they are doing this  is  one  to move away  from his NTC   that they otherwise would of had to protect   freeing up a good player the penguins would of lost to seattle  . 

Yeah, hard to see the logic otherwise. Rutherford is getting roasted for this trade, that Matheson contract is way too long, and for too much money.

Lorentz tweeted back asking if the original poster ever played hockey before.  This is a typical practice to leave your stuff outside on the driveway to dry out completely.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Lorentz tweeted back asking if the original poster ever played hockey before.  This is a typical practice to leave your stuff outside on the driveway to dry out completely.

Once again go, just faulty conclusion drawn from errant reasoning? Mine however did not relate to the photo, but how Rutherford appears to wonder into nebulous deals which we personally witnessed in this organization, leaving the cupboards barren for many years? Not sure how these deals work, and not notifying a player prior to his trade may in fact be common place, but it does seem the decent thing to do, particularly if that player has gained status with your organization? Guess maybe I'm being unrealistic?

20 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Once again go, just faulty conclusion drawn from errant reasoning? Mine however did not relate to the photo, but how Rutherford appears to wonder into nebulous deals which we personally witnessed in this organization, leaving the cupboards barren for many years? Not sure how these deals work, and not notifying a player prior to his trade may in fact be common place, but it does seem the decent thing to do, particularly if that player has gained status with your organization? Guess maybe I'm being unrealistic?

Most definitely. 

Im a firm believer every leader or big decision maker burns bridges. Things don’t work as planned, not everyone agrees with the decisions, not everyone likes a leader’s personality, etc.  in my 14 years of leadership, I’ve burned plenty of bridges unintentionally. So im sure you’re right about Rutherford burning bridges.

2 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

I guess it could be that. But doesn't that seem more likely for a beer league player than for a multimillionaire in (presumably) a very upscale neighborhood? Seems like he'd at least put his stuff out back (although I guess it could be shaded). And isn't there equipment the pros use to dry out their stuff? It's obviously not an option to dry out your equipment on your driveway up north in the winter.   

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

Hornqvist had to waive his NTC in order for the deal to go through. He said that he carefully considered it, but that it was an easy decision to waive and go to a team that wanted him vs. staying with one who didn't. Doesn't seem like he could have been blindsided. 

33 minutes ago, LakeLivin said:

He said that he carefully considered it, but that it was an easy decision to waive and go to a team that wanted him vs. staying with one who didn't.

This is why i've never really understood players not waiving NTCs.  If someone's clamoring to get you and your current people are trying to get rid of you, why would you want to stay where you are in the first place?  If he truly said this, then good on him.

He did say that, but he also said that he was completely “blindsided” when he heard about being traded.

He said he had to talk to his family first but then it was an easy decision to go to Florida because Pittsburgh clearly did not want him.

The whole thing is just amusing because someone being ****** off about being traded usually handles it differently/says the usual stuff. 

1 hour ago, realmdrakkar said:

This is why i've never really understood players not waiving NTCs.  If someone's clamoring to get you and your current people are trying to get rid of you, why would you want to stay where you are in the first place?  If he truly said this, then good on him.

Only management wanted him out, for me I'd rather be hated by management (loved by teammates, allegedly) then wind up like Eric Staal in frickin Buffalo.

1 hour ago, Kyrule said:

He did say that, but he also said that he was completely “blindsided” when he heard about being traded.

He said he had to talk to his family first but then it was an easy decision to go to Florida because Pittsburgh clearly did not want him.

The whole thing is just amusing because someone being ****** off about being traded usually handles it differently/says the usual stuff. 

Yes and No .    Patric   was  more upset  about  for  the given reason that he had  a NTC   and  usually  when a player has been given that status   it's a showing of good faith  that the  team is happy to keep them as insurance  for the player .     In  Pittsburghs  case  I seriously  doubt  they  would of wanted to trade  Hornqvist  if  Seattle  was  not threatening  to take someone  much better  from them .     In Patrics  case i doubt   he thought of it  that way at first .     I've heard players describe the feeling they get  when being traded  like  being  fired  .     I would assume if a team were to buy a player out   then that player would really  feel like they were fired .  

44 minutes ago, Kyrule said:

So what is the “no” part of what I said?

There has been lots of players upset about being traded and did not take it  professionally  .  So Hornqvist is not alone in that department    .

No, he’s not the only one but it is very rare to make it public. Most players just look to the book of cliches and say the same thing. 

“I was surprised initially”

“I enjoyed my time here.”

”I look forward to the opportunity with a new team.” 

etc.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Kyrule said:

”I look forward to the opportunity with a new team.” 

And for most players, this would translate as: "Oh my God, the Panthers?  Oh no.  There goes my Cup hopes.  But hey, at least the weather is nice during the season and you can't beat the tax situation.

So in the case of the Panthers, it usually comes out as "At least the weather is nice."

I remember in 1997 listening to the games on the radio with the associated interviews between periods, and I think it was Gary Roberts who kept repeating the mantra: "At least the weather is good."  I had to LOL because I knew underneath he wasn't very confident in the team.

Edited by wxray1