The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

Krug instead of Pietrangelo? Very stupid in my opinion. They should have found a way to keep him. They already way over paid Faulk last season. Can’t believe Rags wanted J Johnson. 

• Like 1

I don’t think many teams in our direct sphere of influence got better today.

Toronto: added a RHD but isn’t better than last year

Boston: not better, still has money to work

TB: gotten worse. Shattenkirk left, Johnson on waivers

Florida: depth adds, defense isn’t much better

Philly: no moves, lost Pitlick

Washington: added lundy. Basically a lateral move.

Pitts: goalie tandem is worse, added Kapanen. Not much improvement. 
Rangers: added Laf, depth still sucks. Have a ton of RFAs to sign with potential cap issues hurting their low depth.

Columbus: sold off a bunch of pieces for a big score that hasn’t happened.  Im skeptical Domi is the right add for Torts’ system.  To hurt their depth more, they are looking to sell Savard and one of their goalies.

while we didn’t do anything yet, I don’t think we are any worse off in comparison with those that will challenge us for playoff position.  

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

I don’t think many teams in our direct sphere of influence got better today.

Toronto: added a RHD but isn’t better than last year

Boston: not better, still has money to work

TB: gotten worse. Shattenkirk left, Johnson on waivers

Florida: depth adds, defense isn’t much better

Philly: no moves, lost Pitlick

Washington: added lundy. Basically a lateral move.

Pitts: goalie tandem is worse, added Kapanen. Not much improvement. 
Rangers: added Laf, depth still sucks. Have a ton of RFAs to sign with potential cap issues hurting their low depth.

Columbus: sold off a bunch of pieces for a big score that hasn’t happened.  Im skeptical Domi is the right add for Torts’ system.  To hurt their depth more, they are looking to sell Savard and one of their goalies.

while we didn’t do anything yet, I don’t think we are any worse off in comparison with those that will challenge us for playoff position.  

Canes were never going to do anything early.  Maybe some kind of depth signing(s).  Not much wiggle room with the status quo and eye towards Svechnikov and Hamilton signings.

There are still plenty of options available for the Canes.  I think they should still try to keep one of their own UFA d-men and get another forward. 

19 minutes ago, iceman11 said:

There are still plenty of options available for the Canes.  I think they should still try to keep one of their own UFA d-men and get another forward. 

With the cap space we have, we would only be able to sign 7D and 13th forward types

32 minutes ago, caniac6 said:

Here is a bold prediction: The folks in St. Louis are really going to love the last 3-4 years of that Krug contract.

Yeah, and nearly all of the years of the exactly mirroring contract of one Justin Faulk complete with his NTC.

My bold prediction, St Louis begins to decline. 

• Like 1

I do think that the retirement of J Williams, and the lack of NHL-ready AHL forwards creates a window for us to find a role-playing NHL forward on a reasonable deal away from the day one madness, (though it's been less mad this year). Have not really pursued that list, but I would expect something. Always interesting to look at a "reclamation" project like last year Dallas did with Perry, or Tampa sort of with Maroon. That could be a guy who can add physical too. 

By my count we have 12 NHL forwards including inking Geekie into the line up. That would be perfect if we had a Gauthier type (in terms of NHL ready more than that actual player) to at least fill in. But for all of our amazing talent pushing up from the farm, there really seems to be a gap there between the future, and the already on the team. The guys who have learned the pro game and are on the cusp of their NHL shot have mostly been traded or are with the team. We have D men there, Bean and McKeown (and possibly Sellgren or Forsling). But not really at forward. Its Clarke Bishop, who is a nice call up, but we're really pretty thin positionally for that role. 

I do expect us to try to do something for a 13th forward option.

As goalies go to other teams, I am a bit bummed, but also a bit relieved depending on the name. Mostly I'm relieved. Holtby, Lundqvist, Crawford: big huge names that are well into the back 9 if not on the 18th tee of their careers, would not have been good moves for us. Other middle of the road guys like Talbot, not upgrades. Really the only UFA goalies that would have been worth it would have been Markstrom or Lehner, and we were just not in on that action. 

So if the committee is to make some sort of upgrade splash in goal, it will clearly have to be in a trade. The most obvious one to me is Arizona. Keumper is the prize, but Raanta is a very good goalie if he can only stay healthy. The other deal mentioned is Fluery. Fleury though will be 36 years old before next season starts, and he was not great last year. That said, he was very solid the two previous years. IMO he's just not sure enough to be worth going there unless in some convoluted way we end up with more than just him. 

Anyways, maybe there's another deal out there, but I do think that the committee is standing by it's stated mission not to make changes unless they are clear upgrades, and I have to agree with that. IMO Keumper and Raanta are both clear and definite upgrades, so my hope is that we are working that.

I would be fine with Fluery if Vegas kept half the cap hit, added an asset, and we traded Mraz.  I think he would look great in our system.

To Vegas:  Mraz.

To Carolina: Fluery, 2021 2nd and 2022 3rd.

Vegas retains half cap hit.

Edited by cclifford10

3 hours ago, gocanes0506 said:

Greiss to Detroit.

If we work a trade for Fleury, Raanta, or Kuemper, its more likely that we trade Mrazek to Edmonton 

This was sort of the last domino I waiting to fall. 

Edmonton really will be under pressure to do something about their goaltending. I said awhile back that Edmonton may consider Mrazek as a plan B, and this has to look more attractive now.

Also, I really don’t know what Chicago plans on doing in goal, something tells me that a tandem of Malcolm Subban and ??? is not what Chicago is moving forward with.

As a side note, Edmonton did sign ex-Cane goalie Anton Forsberg yesterday. This Hurricanes legend will be missed.

I just looked, Edmonton re-signed Mike Smith. 

Ummm...good luck with that.

Oh, and Tyson Barrie to the Oilers.

Edited by Kyrule

Columbus reportedly wants a first round pick and probably more if it’s a decent team as the pick will be lower.

I would like to get Korpisalo but of course it has to be within the division which makes a trade less likely. Columbus would likely keep Merzlikins.

Also, with all the cap they just dumped I would think they would want roster players not assets. Who knows.

Koivu to Columbus.

Should be a good mentor/leader type.

With Williams retirement I wonder if we will look for a veteran leader type that can still play since Staal provides as much leadership as a toilet seat.

• Like 1

On 10/9/2020 at 5:03 PM, Kyrule said:

I would target a guy like Jesper Fast if we are looking to make a smaller move. He won the “player’s player” award for the Rangers.

The "type" of move I expected, but big ups to Kyrule for nailing it.

• Like 3

Well at one year I guess it makes a bit more sense. Play with Eichel, put up some big numbers, then move to a winner. 

24 minutes ago, remkin said:

Well at one year I guess it makes a bit more sense. Play with Eichel, put up some big numbers, then move to a winner. 

That or  a deadline trade for picks 

Not that I really give a rat's derriere but I still have not seen a "confirmation" on the Taylor Hall signing. Has anyone? The most I've seen is that the news was put up as a "blog". Okay, never mind, finally lurking around on NHL Trade Tracker, I found it. Remains to be seen if that helps them?

Edited by KJUNKANE