The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
OBXer

Free Agency Frenzy or Fizzle

6 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Not that I really give a rat's derriere but I still have not seen a "confirmation" on the Taylor Hall signing. Has anyone? The most I've seen is that the news was put up as a "blog". Okay, never mind, finally lurking around on NHL Trade Tracker, I found it. Remains to be seen if that helps them?

Buffalo fans think their going to be good but their frickin full of mediocrity.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, legend-1 said:
Buffalo fans think their going to be good but their frickin full of mediocrity.

As can be gleaned from looking at Toronto and the Rags over the years, it isn't about how much talent you bring in but how they work with each other.  Buffalo's putting together a lot of talent that could make a run if any chemistry comes with it.  I'm just not sure any will.

3 minutes ago, realmdrakkar said:

As can be gleaned from looking at Toronto and the Rags over the years, it isn't about how much talent you bring in but how they work with each other.  Buffalo's putting together a lot of talent that could make a run if any chemistry comes with it.  I'm just not sure any will.

You are right on point about that realm. Chemistry can turn a mediocre team to an unbeatable one, but can do the opposite to a team of premadonnas? Both the examples you give are poster boys for that.

Buffalo feels desperate to me. They have failed to draft and develop outside of a Svech-like, "granny could have picked him" Eichel pick. Now it's UFA time. I do give them and maybe Hall credit for doing a one year deal. Maybe the sting of getting taken for 8 years of $9M AAV by Skinner still lingers. Eight years. THAT was the bullet the Canes dodged for Pu. 

Anywho, the Slugs have 8 UFA's next year and will have to re-sign Dahlin. It really feels like they're going to still have to go through a full gutting and restructuring in the next 2 years, and these one-year signings of Staal and Hall, are to show the fans and Eichel that they are trying. Maybe buy them a playoff spot one time, but the East is really becoming a Beast, and even if they slip in this year, it's hard to see that continuing unless they re-sign Hall. But if I had to predict, I'd go with their recent tendency: bust out, look unstoppable and then fall like the Titanic.

They have two premier players in Eichel and soon Dahlin, and occasionally Hall, but after that they are very thin, and don't have a top goalie. 

Hall is a bit of an enigma. This is a guy with the talent to be an MVP type player, but has been inconsistent and a part of a lot of losing in his career. So has Staal (after his Cup here and for the rest of his career). And Skinner has 720 NHL games, with zero playoff games (in fact his team started making the playoffs after they dumped him). Skinner is, IMO the poster boy for the most sizzle with the least steak. He will score, but gives those goals right back and with interest, (even though +/- is a shady stat, one has to admit that a career -118 while scoring 258 goals yourself takes some doing). 

I can't help but get the feeling that Buffalo is where guys who don't really care about winning go to get a paycheck. Hall claimed it was all about winning. Going to Buffalo suggests otherwise. But at least it's just one year. It will be very interesting to see how Eichel responds if guys like Staal, Skinner and Hall don't get them to the playoffs, and then Hall/Staal are gone, leaving only Skinner and Okposo. If Eichel wants to win, I know a much nicer and warmer city he should consider...

I think back to how much I despised Buffalo fans way back when, after that ECF series. Now it's just too sad to muster much besides pity. But I can blame them for that. They took away my biggest villain who now has become decrepit and can't even fit into his villain outfit.

It's a Smart move for Buffalo   for  a few reasons .     

1.  He will  draw attention  on ice  leaving who he  has playing with him to be open for a pass  to score goals. 

2.  Jersey with Hall's   name on it will sell  .

3.  If they fail to make the playoffs  , at the trade deadline   Hall would be nice Trade Bait  for a 1st round pick . 

2 hours ago, KJUNKANE said:

You are right on point about that realm. Chemistry can turn a mediocre team to an unbeatable one, but can do the opposite to a team of premadonnas? Both the examples you give are poster boys for that.

Will the skilled players sync and amlify or fight against each other and cancel?   Time will tell.  Who does Adams have coaching that team again?  Remind me.

beats.gif

Edited by wxray1

51 minutes ago, wxray1 said:

Will the skilled players sync and amlify or fight against each other and cancel?   Time will tell.  Who does Adams have coaching that team again?  Remind me.

beats.gif

Ralph Kruger.

Respected hockey guy that coached Hall in Edmonton. Some are saying that is part of the reason Hall chose Buffalo.

• Like 1

I'm guessing that for us Fast was the move in terms of UFA. We might add an AHL type because we could probably use a bit of depth in call ups, but IMO if we make any more substantial moves it will involve a trade. 

Canes sign defenseman Joakim Ryan.

Has played some NHL games with LA. Two-way deal that likely sees him helping out the Wolves.

Along the lines of us maybe making a trade, cough, goalie, cough...was this quote of DW from Michael Smith:

"I think the trade market this year will be bigger than it’s been in the past.”

52 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Vegas almost over 7 million at this point.

Meaning? Is this $7mil above CAP, and if so, this goes to my point. How will they get below the CAP limit, particularly this year?

55 minutes ago, gocanes0506 said:

Pietrangelo 8.8 x 7 years to Vegas. 

this was our earmark for Hamilton.  Errr

Are you surprised or just shocked to actually see it happen again? Scoring defensemen just seem to get money jammed down their throats in FA. Hamilton's worth 8-9 mil, only way we get him cheaper is tugging on his heart strings that we don't treat em like crap.

1 hour ago, gocanes0506 said:

Pietrangelo 8.8 x 7 years to Vegas. 

this was our earmark for Hamilton.  Errr

Dougie’s gonna get traded before we pay him that much...

Also, memo to the other 30 teams: DON’T make any trades with Vegas!  Let them stew in their cap overage...then pilfer the cabinet when they get desperate 

15 minutes ago, AWACSooner said:

Dougie’s gonna get traded before we pay him that much...

Also, memo to the other 30 teams: DON’T make any trades with Vegas!  Let them stew in their cap overage...then pilfer the cabinet when they get desperate 

Seems like Aho could be a boundary that just might work for the Canes. Hopefully they can lock Dougie down for something similar.  

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 3

Seven years for a guy who turns 31 in January and it looks like they gave him a NMC, as well.

Vegas doesn't have a young team by any means. That Pietrangelo contract almost smells of desperation to me. 

Edited by LakeLivin
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, KJUNKANE said:

Meaning? Is this $7mil above CAP, and if so, this goes to my point. How will they get below the CAP limit, particularly this year?

Well they are 1 million over by giving Vancouver Schmidt for a 3rd

• Like 1