The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
AWACSooner

Justin Williams Appreciation thread- officially announces retirement

My wife and I met Justin Williams years back when he was recovering from a broken leg.   He was such a gentleman to my wife and chatted with us a bit about his returning  to play and other hockey stuff.   When Kopitar was at the All Star red carpet gig in 2011 I asked him if he was taking care of Williams.   He told me no that Williams was taking care of him (and laughed).  Then he said that Williams was a great teammate.    He is a class act and I hope somehow he ends up on the Hurricanes staff.   Men and players of his caliber don't come around often and that is why he may be the only Mr. Game 7 for years to come.  

• Like 1

Too many memories to mention. The only ugly thing about JW's NHL career is wearing a Caps jersey, but we can overlook that now.  He will be missed. I hope one day he can remain/become part of the organization in some manner.

1 hour ago, KJUNKANE said:

But AWACS, close only works in horse shoes?

Works ok for nukes too 

I've posted it here a bunch, but I first saw Willy play while I still lived in Philly. He scored 25 points in 63 games, solid for a rookie, but it was his work ethic that you noticed right away. He was unrelenting every shift. 19 years later, he still was.

Thanks for everything Willy, and most of all, for being a class act every step of the way.

• Like 1

My best wishes to Justin Williams. Thanks for the great memories. His status as a Hurricane great was attained in 2006 yet his greatest contribution may be what he has done the last couple of seasons as he brought back and instilled a sense of what it takes to be a winner in this young Hurricane team. Mr. game 7 you will be missed but I suspect the mark you left on this team will live on.

When the Canes take the ice this season it will be the first time that a link to the 06 Cup team won't be on the ice.

• Like 2

Thanks for being a class act and a leader Justin Williams. I’m so glad you came back and helped get us back to the playoffs. You will be missed! 

When I think back to our cup-winning team, there were so many good players, but not the least of them was Justin Williams. Sure the game 7 winning goal and his eventual reputation for being big time was awesome, but as much was watching that work ethic along the boards and all over the ice and still potting over 30 goals (two years in a row here). Even if he never returned would have been high on my All Time Favorite Canes. When we traded him after a couple of knee surgeries and Achilles, I thought his career might be winding down. Man was I wrong. 1264 NHL games, 797 points, 162 playoff games with 102 playoff points. #172 NHL points All Time. 

But yes, The Return is what cements him in the legacy of All Time Canes Greats. So many struggling franchises talk about turning their culture around. So few do it. Justin Williams brought his skill, his bona fides, his hockey reputation, and his character back here and joined Rod Brind'Amour to create that rarest accomplishment of turning an entire franchise culture around, and in short order. And that's why he just has to stay on and keep that going in our leadership team. (I haven't gotten to meet him personally, yet, but that's the other reason he needs to stick around). 

What a phenomenal career, and person. We have been and hopefully will be, supremely lucky to have him here.

• Like 2

Anyone know if J Will lives off of the Tobacco Trail? I swear I just ran past him this morning on the trail there. Had a hat on and his face down so as to avoid eye contact IMO. Same look I saw on Aaron Ward and Jussi Jokinen when I ran into them out and about. 

30 minutes ago, cane-addict-1 said:

Anyone know if J Will lives off of the Tobacco Trail? I swear I just ran past him this morning on the trail there. Had a hat on and his face down so as to avoid eye contact IMO. Same look I saw on Aaron Ward and Jussi Jokinen when I ran into them out and about. 

I don't know.  I do know that back in the day, Kevin Westgarth used to run along Spring Forest in N. Raleigh and wasn't shy about showing off his looks or who he was.  I swear he caused some accidents from the ladies gawking.