The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Traffic and Parking at RBC

The SHP neglected to close off the Edward Mill/Wade Ave exit until it was WAY too late. We saw the back up about that time, too, and was shocked at the traffic. We drove on by and exited Blue Ridge/Wade Ave and breezed right in.

I was wondering if anyone would post about that. We were pulling onto Edwards mill at 2:30 and didn't get inside the arena and sat down until AFTER Eaves tied it up. so about not quite half way through the first. And all the RPD just standing around in groups not helping direct traffic good. It only takes one police officer and squad car to block off and entrance, the other 3-5 can go help move stuff along.

What the heck happened yesterday with the traffic and parking at RBC? I was 5 minutes from the arena at 2:15 on Edwards Mill Road and didn't get into the arena until 3:20....I think this is ridiculous.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

UDC

Ditto...I re-registered my account just to post this thread today. I share season tickets with 2 other families. We've gotten all three figurines, but due to yesterday's shift of shutting down two of the 4 lanes off Edwards Mill. I failed in securing the final figurine for all three seats...for all three families involved. Fortunately season tix holders next to us had a noshow for a seat and gave me one, and I gave it to the guy that basically does all the account handling for us. BUT TRAFFIC WAS RIDICULOUS.

Why the freaking change?

Are they seriously TRYING to piss everyone off and lure people into premier parking passes?

I don't mind people changing the traffic scheme for marketing. But doing it within the middle of a season...on a weekend game...on figurine night where a lot of people were making the effort to get there.

Traffic coordinator should be fired.

Ditto...I re-registered my account just to post this thread today. I share season tickets with 2 other families. We've gotten all three figurines, but due to yesterday's shift of shutting down two of the 4 lanes off Edwards Mill. I failed in securing the final figurine for all three seats...for all three families involved. Fortunately season tix holders next to us had a noshow for a seat and gave me one,

Not to jack the thread, but the last 2 figurines give aways the volunteers would not give me the a second one for my 2 nd ticket (daughter couldn't go). I was told "only one per ticket/person". If they were doing this yesterday, it explains why they ran out early.

Not to jack the thread, but the last 2 figurines give aways the volunteers would not give me the a second one for my 2 nd ticket (daughter couldn't go). I was told "only one per ticket/person". If they were doing this yesterday, it explains why they ran out early.

Yeah...I saw a few loners with multiples in hand. I had both my kids with me...having to carry one from the way back dirt lot on my shoulders as he couldn't have walked that. Any other day we would've been in the parking lot adjacent to the premier parking on the east side. But not yesterday.

I'm still kinda pissed.

It's ridiculous...I was 5 minutes away at 2:15 and I missed the first two goals of the game (heard the horn blow for Eaves goal).

I was shocked to see traffic coming in off of Wade both east and west and then to have only two lanes open on Edwards Mill was crazy too.

I paid good money for these tickets and didn't show up "last minute," I beleive the Canes organization and the RBC center need to figure this out. I bet this wouldn't have been as messy a situation if they would still let people park in the fairgrounds. I had to pay $8 to park out in Timbuktu after waiting 40 minutes to get to the arena.

Thankfully the game was good, but I was considering getting season tickets again next year and this traffic @#$% has me rethinking that.

It's ridiculous...I was 5 minutes away at 2:15 and I missed the first two goals of the game (heard the horn blow for Eaves goal).

I was shocked to see traffic coming in off of Wade both east and west and then to have only two lanes open on Edwards Mill was crazy too.

I paid good money for these tickets and didn't show up "last minute," I beleive the Canes organization and the RBC center need to figure this out. I bet this wouldn't have been as messy a situation if they would still let people park in the fairgrounds. I had to pay $8 to park out in Timbuktu after waiting 40 minutes to get to the arena.

Thankfully the game was good, but I was considering getting season tickets again next year and this traffic @#$% has me rethinking that.

I don't know if this is an option for you but after my first few experiences with the traffic at rbc, i arrive and hour+ early (was there at 12:30 yesterday). The way i look at it if i am going to sit around i might as well be sitting around the rbc center parking lot than I-40. Game nights are marked on my calendar and i adjust my work schedule so that i can leave early on game days.

I would encourage everyone to email your ticket representative letting them know your opinion on this.

Yeah. I've been caught in the terrible traffic only once (against Buffalo last Saturday. I arrived with 5 minutes left in the 1st). It'll never happen again. I live 70 miles away and left my house at 12:00 on the dot. I arrived at about 1:15, and simply hung out at the RBC center parking lot for another 30 minutes until I went to stand in the admission line. And, as always, I stay after a game and wait for player autographs. Doing so allows me to leave without stopping once!

Yeah. I've been caught in the terrible traffic only once (against Buffalo last Saturday. I arrived with 5 minutes left in the 1st). It'll never happen again. I live 70 miles away and left my house at 12:00 on the dot. I arrived at about 1:15, and simply hung out at the RBC center parking lot for another 30 minutes until I went to stand in the admission line. And, as always, I stay after a game and wait for player autographs. Doing so allows me to leave without stopping once!

That works for some people...but with smaller children...allocating 6+ hours for a hockey game isn't plausible. I'd just like to see an explanation on why the traffic system was changed off of Edwards Mill.

Glad to see this thread, I was one of the incensed masses in that cluster... uh -- well, you know. Absolutely agree with the previous poster re the Raleigh PD's impersonation of DOT employees. Three cars and five cops standing around to block entrances when a 1:1 ratio would have sufficed and freed up others to address the problem. Wish I'd had a box of donuts in the car, I maybe could have at least coaxed them into entertaining motorists while we waited for the line THEY CREATED to move.

Worst traffic control/parking experience I've had entering any event, and that includes when I lived in Philly.

That works for some people...but with smaller children...allocating 6+ hours for a hockey game isn't plausible. I'd just like to see an explanation on why the traffic system was changed off of Edwards Mill.

Oh, I know. It's not plausible for all, but it's the best case scenario.

For those who live in Cary or drive trough Cary.

I found that the easiest way to get to RBC is not from the highway, but instead getting on Chappel Hill (54) or Chattam Road toward Raleigh, then turning left on Trinity Rd. Turn left at the intersection with Edwards Mill and your first right will be entrance to the RBC center parking lot.

It takes me only 20 minutes to get from my home in Cary to RBC. I had no problems on Sunday with traffic.

I was told that the Canes organization has no control over the parking. Tried to buy a Premier PP when I got my tickets and was told they were sold out. Don't bother buying a GA pass. The only good it does is save about 3 minutes of the time it takes the rocket scientist who takes your money to make change from a $20. No. I'm not anoyed. Not one bit. Ugh, well, just a little. Ok, it irritates the tar out of me to be shuttled around the perimeter of the complex along with the rest of the GA parkers.

It was just a terrible, terrible job by the RPD/SHP/Canes organization.

I didn't buy tickets to listen to Chuck K on the radio!

Seriously, they need to do something. During the Cup run the parking and organization was great, what the heck has happened? Seriously, get a plan in place and just use what works.

I hated being stuck in traffic and then trying to get out was a joke as well...add to that my infant son needed to be fed and it was a royal mess.

I was told that the Canes organization has no control over the parking. Tried to buy a Premier PP when I got my tickets and was told they were sold out. Don't bother buying a GA pass. The only good it does is save about 3 minutes of the time it takes the rocket scientist who takes your money to make change from a $20. No. I'm not anoyed. Not one bit. Ugh, well, just a little. Ok, it irritates the tar out of me to be shuttled around the perimeter of the complex along with the rest of the GA parkers.

And how many combinations of change are they actually going to have to give? I'd say most people give either exact money, $10 or $20. So $2 change or $12 change. You may have a rare 50 or 100 thrown in there, but seriously how hard is the math?

I just wish they would stick with something. They seem to change several times during the season, and it isn't just for Canes games that they have problems. I notice that they seem to cater to people that are in the area, that aren't going to the game, by letting that traffic through. They should send those people somewhere else or make them go to the game for poor planning.

The edwards mill road entry has been great for most of the year, minus a couple games, but the last three home games Sabres, Wild, and Senators has been terrible.

We are STH's for both basketball and Canes, and have noticed in previous years the traffic patterns shift from game to game which really screws things up. This season has been better for basketball, we park in the East CF lot and have parking passes and the patterns have been pretty consistant. As for hockey we park across the street saving $300+/season and get a bit of exercise at the same time and usually are on the road before 50% of the RBC lot empties.

As far as the figurines are concerned, it is a good thing we got all four of ours as one had a broken thumb and the Con Smythe does not stay supported and the other one did not even have a screw to attach it to the base, it's not like the screw fell off, there was never even a screw on the figurine.

Traffic was a nightmare yesterday. Usually I exit off of the beltline onto Hillsborough and then turn left onto Trinity, bypass the grass lots and enter the stadium off of Edwards Mill Rd. On most nights, this is a breeze and I never have any problems. Yesterday, I arrived at 2:15 and the RPD had already closed the entrance off of Edwards Mill Rd, and the backups were horrible... all the way back to I-440/Wade Ave and up the exit ramp!!

Luckily I was able to make it to the "outback" lot and into the arena before the game started and didn't miss anything. But it looks like a lot of people weren't that lucky.

I'm sorry... but when the actions, or lack thereof, of the RPD/traffic people is that bad causing backups 45 minutes before the game, that is unacceptable IMO!

As far as the figurines are concerned, it is a good thing we got all four of ours as one had a broken thumb and the Con Smythe does dot stay supported and the other one did not even have a screw to attach it to the base, it's not like the screw fell off, there was never even a screw on the figurine.

Ugh, tell me about it. I got one and my girlfriend got one. Hers is immaculate and snaps together like it's supposed to. I have given up on trying to get that darn Conn Smythe to stay in his hands, so it's sitting next to him. Now it looks like he's offering me something :P

I guess it would be to keep traffic off Wade Ave, but why are there 3 Frickin Lanes being fed into 2 off the Edwards Mill entrance?

I hate it when people do not come with the right change...a five dollar bill plus 3 one dollar bills equals eight dollars....or 8 one dollar bills is equal to eight dollars as well.

There should be a way that parking can be figured into the ticket price...but then you'd have someone whine about having their spouse and 16 kids in their 18 passenger van paying more than a couple without kids.

I guess the moral of our story is to plan on getting to the RBC Center atleast 1 hour early....I did and got in just fine. :P

I cannot believe that the managing partner of the facility can't do anything about the parking.

I was not in a happy mood for a hockey game when I finally got to my seats . I arrived at RBC Center at 2:00, finally parked in a dirt lot near finley at 2:45pm. Missed the figurine - and the couple next to me had three of them.

This isn't the first time this has happened to me. I attend a lot of sporting events, and the only one that is harder to get in than get out is the RBC Center. I have told my kids that if I ever decide not to renew my tix, it will be because I have finally had enough with dealing with parking.

I've tried to give myself 24 hours to cool off about this so I guess this is close enough:

Captain Mize is the Raleigh Policeman who was in charge of traffic control yesterday. I know this because I asked.

Before anyone tells me when I should arrive prior to the game let me say I come early always. Sometimes I can't be there as early as other times and this post is regarding the danger that will result from road rage, and traffic accidents along interstate 40 east as a result of pathetic management by the Raleigh police force handling such.

Regarding coming from the West (I-40):

1) The engineer that added a stop light and cut the flow down from 3 optional lanes in to 2 for another Cardinal Gibbons exit added this year were really smart. I-40 traffic coming onto Edwards MIll used to flow freely in to their own lane which continued. NOW all the I-40 traffic is forced to merge into 2 lanes of traffic already coming from I-40 west bound/duraleigh area traffic. In short, the entire interstate ramp backs up onto the interstate as all the West bound traffic MUST stop to merge into 2 lanes rather then the 3 that were designed.

2) The police officers (Raleigh) that sit on their rear ends at the new light and use the light switch stop all that traffic waiting to get off I-40 and to merge onto the new 2 lanes to let single cars exit the Cardinal Gibbons area. WOW thousands of cars come to a halt every 45 seconds to let 1 car out. Smart thinking.

3) Since the 06' Playoffs the Raleigh Police shut down the Edwards Mill 3 entrances into the RBC early forcing all traffic to go to the stop light accross from Damons. WoW lets not funnel all of those lanes to 1 at the stop light. Great idea?

4) The Raleigh PD (not the HP) sit in their cars merely watching, or chat about at the entrances while traffic continues to back up. That is crazy and at best malfesance.

I was on the off ramp from I-40 east bound to turn onto Edwards Mill yesterday at 2:10. I drove the remaining 1 mile and ran inside to barely see the puck drop at 3:05. I am sorry but if I get that close and it takes me 1 hour to make it the last 1 mile, its got nothing to do with when I left and everything to do with management.

Someone paid Captain Mize yesterday.

Someone got ripped off.

I was stuck in traffic while RPD stood a group and watched. I bet they make $25-$30 an hour to stand there chatting. I had to get out and walk from Edwards Mill rd. to be able to meet the people who had my ticket. The people I road with didn't get into the game til about 3:20

Don't get me started about the figurines. I have missed out on 2 of them. Its disgusting to see people with multiples of them. If you aren't going to give out one to everyone don't give them out!

Complaining about the organization and sending them emails with your complaints won't do any good. Its the RALEIGH PD not the Canes organization. If you wanna complain about the parking, do it to the Raleigh PD. But that won't do any good either cause they just don't care.

Complaining about the organization and sending them emails with your complaints won't do any good. Its the RALEIGH PD not the Canes organization. If you wanna complain about the parking, do it to the Raleigh PD. But that won't do any good either cause they just don't care.

Complain to everyone.