The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Traffic and Parking at RBC

Complain to everyone.

charles.meeker@ci.raleigh.nc.us

Citycouncilor@ci.raleigh.nc.us

Russell.Allen@ci.raleigh.nc.us

These are the public email addresses of the mayor, city council, and city manager.

If they recieve a sufficent volume maybe they will at least look into it.

I was wondering why so many people were filing in well after the start of the first and towards the end of the period. I told my wife "what in the world do these guys have going on in the middle of the day on a Sunday that they can't get in on time?" Guess that answers my question, waiting in traffic lol :P

Complaining about parking does nothing. I was part of one of those Hurricane STH focus groups and we spent more than an hour on parking complaints and the only thing that happened is that it is even worse (unbelievable, but true). Despite RBC saying it is nothing to do with them, and blaming the police outside the arena, 90% of the problems we see are once we turn off the surface streets and into the arena loop.

We've upgraded to premier parking and trust me, it goes no faster, just assures you that you won't park on a dirt lot. Half the time there is no one at all near us when we come because we now get to the arena so freaking early that there are HUNDREDS of open premier spots, and yet they still wave us all the way around the arena to park on the opposite side from where we came in, so we end up fighting traffic. We come in the entrance most convenient to leave from...so end up needing to sit in the car 45 min after the game to get out of the arena isn't a convenience at all. It's ridiculous. It was easier to park during the 06 finals than it is now.

As for the figurines, I have two tickets and, IMO if I'm using all of them, that means I should get two figurines (that means I'm willing willing to scan my other ticket for an empty seat to get the other one). I'm fine with only getting one if it is the policy across the board, and even ok with the ton of kids under two who don't pay to come in that get them (they're kids after all and will appreciate them if their parents don't ebay the stuff out from under them) but given that some people near us have had upwards of 8 for their two seats, it clearly is not the case for everyone. Some people are getting one for every ticket (or more) rather than every person. I also have a problem with the guy that was a couple rows behind me yesterday that had no less than 30 STH lithos rolled up on his lap. Could he own a box somewhere away from his seats? Possible, but VERY, VERY unlikely.

Finally, fan appreciation night is rapidly approaching. If certain people who sit near me get *randomly selected* yet again, I'm going to ask them to buy lottery tickets for me.

Oh, I know. It's not plausible for all, but it's the best case scenario.

The thing is, they should fix the situation instead of the fans continuing to have to adjust to compensate for their shortcomings in this area. If you try and leave 20 min before a game starts, fine, bad choice for you and you'll learn from that mistake. Barring some all lane closure due to an accident or something along those lines, I do not think it is unreasonable for people who get to the arena exit an hour plus before the game to expect they can be parked and in their seats in time for the game to start, even if they miss warmups.

L

Are all the people stating they had trouble getting into the RBC going via Edwards Mill? That may be the problem.

We've had no problem all year long parking out back by the East entrances...breezing in AND out.

We pull in almost for almost every night game around 6:30 (generally leave either Brier Creek or Harrison Ave after a bite to eat), drink a brew out in the lot, then head in with 5 minutes or so until game time. Even yesterday, we left Brier Creek around 2, got there and parked by 2:20, drank some brews, entered arena with 15 minutes left to spare as indicated up on the Jumbotron. Had another brew and checked out the auction items before puck drop.

If EVERYONE goes via Edward Mill, is it no wonder that things get messed up?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Try a different way.

Raleigh PD may be in charge of the traffic on the streets, I don't think they are in charge once you get on RBC center grounds. I had no problem getting off the street and into the RBC Center. That is when my wait began, and continued for 45 minutes. I don't think that's Raleigh PD, all i saw were parking attendants. The Hurricanes can blame it on other things, but they are the managing partners of the building, they have to take some of the blame.

Are all the people stating they had trouble getting into the RBC going via Edwards Mill? That may be the problem.

We've had no problem all year long parking out back by the East entrances...breezing in AND out.

We pull in almost for almost every night game around 6:30 (generally leave either Brier Creek or Harrison Ave after a bite to eat), drink a brew out in the lot, then head in with 5 minutes or so until game time. Even yesterday, we left Brier Creek around 2, got there and parked by 2:20, drank some brews, entered arena with 15 minutes left to spare as indicated up on the Jumbotron. Had another brew and checked out the auction items before puck drop.

If EVERYONE goes via Edward Mill, is it no wonder that things get messed up?

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Try a different way.

Thats what I was thinking, edwards mill to blue ridge going east or NC 54 from I-40W or I-440 to hillsborough, never had a problem. took I-40E one time and got in a traffic jam and never took it again.

For those who live in Cary or drive trough Cary.

I found that the easiest way to get to RBC is not from the highway, but instead getting on Chappel Hill (54) or Chattam Road toward Raleigh, then turning left on Trinity Rd. Turn left at the intersection with Edwards Mill and your first right will be entrance to the RBC center parking lot.

It takes me only 20 minutes to get from my home in Cary to RBC. I had no problems on Sunday with traffic.

Bingo. I live in Cary, and usually leave for games about an hour/hour and a half before the scheduled start time...and I use this route...it's easy and quick...hasn't failed me yet. I learned fast after a Detroit game two years ago where I chose to use the interstate...didn't get inside the RBC center until 7:30pm...ridiculous. I don't pay money to sit and listen to the game while waiting to get in...

I guess I'm just immune cause I don't seem to have these problems. On weeknights we don't get to Edwards Mill until about 6:15pm, we are parked no later than 6:30pm. Yesterday we got to Edwards Mill at 2pm and we were parked by 2:05, no lie. I don't really have problems getting out either. The longest I've sat was 15 minutes.

I don't ever take 40 cause well that's just asking for trouble. Especially with the Raleigh PD closing the Edwards Mill exit whenever they feel like it.

Despite RBC saying it is nothing to do with them, and blaming the police outside the arena, 90% of the problems we see are once we turn off the surface streets and into the arena loop.

All well in good, but not relevant to the post about yesterdays game.

Had you been part of it, you would instantly have recognized the issue was outside the Arena lot and RBC property.

All well in good, but not relevant to the post about yesterdays game.

Had you been part of it, you would instantly have recognized the issue was outside the Arena lot and RBC property.

I wasn't the only person who mentioned the problems on the RBC property. At least one poster said specifically their problem YESTERDAY was in fact in the mess they continue to have on the go-round once they turn off of the street.

The only reason I didn't have any issues yesterday was because I got to the arena almost two hours before the game, which is ridiculous, IMO as I only live 15 min away, but this is what it has come to when going to a 'Canes game.

I have complained early and often about the parking. I am amazed at how badly they screw things up some nights. Are things this bad for a football game when 55k + are in attendance? I think the thing that bothers me the most is when I am flagged past half empty parking lots with NO ONE going into, to four lots down where I have to wait 15 minutes to get into the lot. There has to be a way to fix this. I guess the city is too busy trying to figure out haw they are going to double/triple our water rates when all of the lakes are full (which could be as soon as next week).

Also, why is there no problem when attendance is 17,500, but when there is a sell-out (18660) it seems that everything just falls apart? Can less that 8% more card overload the system so much? Things would be much worse in the playoffs if so many did not arrive early.

guess what made me the most mad was I've been waiting in line down the off ramp at edwards mill, the whole length of edwards mill, and then ALL of trinity road. Once I get to where I'm about to be let into the parking lots, people are coming up on my right side with their left turn signal, wanting to cut in front of me, and getting mad because I won't let them in.

It was one of those: "Hey look, I just waited 35 minutes in standstill traffic to get in, and you are going to cheat and weave in and out of people and go around people, not wait, and expect me to let you in?"

I got to the RBC at 1:30 with no problems! There were a few tailgaters, and there was already a line forming for the Cam Ward figurine at all the enterences. (no big deal, was only a few hundred people)

My advice to the complainers about parking and missing some or most of the 1st period...leave your home earlier for the arena. Yea, it sucks having to wait around longer (more down time) to be able to get in the arena, but what sucks more...Waiting to get in (arena, and game time) longer than usual? or Missing most of the 1st period?

I know some might of had prior commitments prior to coming to the game and couldn't leave early even if they wanted to...but that's life and you are at the mercy of the traffic (congestion, accidents) and RBC Parking not running as smoothly. (there is nothing you can do about it...sorry folks, I really feel for you)

Bottom line...if you know parking is not organized after 2:00...leave earlier (if possible) take matters into your own hands, instead of being at the mercy of others! The old saying...."Change what you have control of, don't worry about what you can't change, or have no control of" (paraphrase)

What the heck happened yesterday with the traffic and parking at RBC? I was 5 minutes from the arena at 2:15 on Edwards Mill Road and didn't get into the arena until 3:20....I think this is ridiculous.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,

UDC

I can't believe nobody has mentioned the lot at the corner of Trinity and Blue Ridge. It's free, it's easy to get into and out of, you get a little bit of exercise walking to your car, AND you do not have to deal with the parking crew at the RBC. We got in that lot yesterday 45 minutes before the game and 15 minutes later we were in the building with figurines in hand. I realize that this is probably not an option for people with small children, but I would highly recommend it to everyone else.

Ugh, tell me about it. I got one and my girlfriend got one. Hers is immaculate and snaps together like it's supposed to. I have given up on trying to get that darn Conn Smythe to stay in his hands, so it's sitting next to him. Now it looks like he's offering me something :P

Use a little bit of crazy glue, we used it for Rod and the cup as one cup fell and chipped, we rotated it a with a bit of crazy glue, voila! Good as ever. Last night glued Cam's Conn Smythe to keep it from falling off.

I think my Conn Smythe is a little deformed but not too bad.

Im not going to care though because two of my friends didn't get one because of the traffic. My dad has started going up past the Edwards Mill off ramp and it has worked well. It was a quick exit too. My dad had to get to the airport right after the game and we were there extremely fast.

I usually leave my home near Capital Blvd about an hour before game time and I am at the RBC Center in about 20-25 minutes. Yesterday I worked out at Gold's Gym in North Hills and left at my customary hour buffer.

Things didn't get bad until I got unto Westchase and near the NCSU practice fields. No one had any idea of where to send people to park. To add to the problem, the good weather made for good tailgating and a number of people took up three or four parking spaces for their picnic. A good portion of the media/handicapped parking lot was ropped off.

Need to have better ways of sending people with parking passes and handicapped cards directly into parking spaces. Maybe have express lanes for those who have exact cash.

I got to the RBC at 1:30 with no problems! There were a few tailgaters, and there was already a line forming for the Cam Ward figurine at all the enterences. (no big deal, was only a few hundred people)

My advice to the complainers about parking and missing some or most of the 1st period...leave your home earlier for the arena. Yea, it sucks having to wait around longer (more down time) to be able to get in the arena, but what sucks more...Waiting to get in (arena, and game time) longer than usual? or Missing most of the 1st period?

I know some might of had prior commitments prior to coming to the game and couldn't leave early even if they wanted to...but that's life and you are at the mercy of the traffic (congestion, accidents) and RBC Parking not running as smoothly. (there is nothing you can do about it...sorry folks, I really feel for you)

Bottom line...if you know parking is not organized after 2:00...leave earlier (if possible) take matters into your own hands, instead of being at the mercy of others! The old saying...."Change what you have control of, don't worry about what you can't change, or have no control of" (paraphrase)

UMMM HELLO?!??! HAVE YOU EVEN READ THIS THREAD?!?!? Have we EVER had a thread that trashed the parking this bad? no! it was an outrage.

Alot of us are STH or just go to ALOT of games. What happened yesterday is out of the ordinary!!!! not only did I leave for the game at the normal time I usually do, but I left an extra 30 minutes earlier. I usually leave an hour and 15 minutes early for games and I get there and have at least 30-40 minutes before the puck drops. this time I left 1 hour and 45 minutes before the game, and still made it in there with 10 minutes left in the first.

No offense anyone........I travel from Greensboro, have been for years. I have Premier Parking and it really is a function of two aspects. First, I stopped using Edwards Mill off of Wade...there are many alternative routes that work. Second, you have to leave earlier. Even on work days I can leave Greensboro by 5 and still get inside the arena well before the start of the game. It is a big investment, and I know everyone cannot devote the time, but the fact is you just have to get there early.

Good luck everyone!

No offense anyone........I travel from Greensboro, have been for years. I have Premier Parking and it really is a function of two aspects. First, I stopped using Edwards Mill off of Wade...there are many alternative routes that work. Second, you have to leave earlier. Even on work days I can leave Greensboro by 5 and still get inside the arena well before the start of the game. It is a big investment, and I know everyone cannot devote the time, but the fact is you just have to get there early.

Good luck everyone!

Happy Birthday :)

Good luck everyone!

Happy Birthday :)