The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesInSeven

Traffic and Parking at RBC

UMMM HELLO?!??! HAVE YOU EVEN READ THIS THREAD?!?!? Have we EVER had a thread that trashed the parking this bad? no! it was an outrage.

Alot of us are STH or just go to ALOT of games. What happened yesterday is out of the ordinary!!!! not only did I leave for the game at the normal time I usually do, but I left an extra 30 minutes earlier. I usually leave an hour and 15 minutes early for games and I get there and have at least 30-40 minutes before the puck drops. this time I left 1 hour and 45 minutes before the game, and still made it in there with 10 minutes left in the first.

While true.. i only live like 3 miles tops away from the arena but given that the game was a figurine give away.. it was also against ottawa and old teammates of ours... I guessed this game was gonna have a really big turn out so i left 15 minutes before 1 to head up there and was in and parked just hanging out for a while to make sure i wouldnt have to deal with the extra traffic normally i dont leave this early but because of the circumstances surrounding this game. I made sure to leave really really early!

Same thing happened at the slugs game. This is the worst I've ever seen it, including the cup run in 06. 45 minutes from Wade avenue to park. Watched a bunch of Raleigh's finest sitting around doing nothing at the closed gate while traffic was backed up getting off Wade Ave with not a cop to be seen. Ridicilous if you ask me, which I guess you didn't. :rolleyes:

Same thing happened at the slugs game. This is the worst I've ever seen it, including the cup run in 06. 45 minutes from Wade avenue to park. Watched a bunch of Raleigh's finest sitting around doing nothing at the closed gate while traffic was backed up getting off Wade Ave with not a cop to be seen. Ridicilous if you ask me, which I guess you didn't. :rolleyes:

Exactly what I noticed too OldSchool.

I will await the "you should have left on Thursday for the Sunday game" replies. :lol:

IMO, the basic parking trouble begins with getting the cars into the actual lots once on the RBC property. I understand that their 'plan' tries to keep cars moving - but too often their plan goes against common sense. They want to keep traffic moving around the circle until it backs up to a lot entrance - this, unfortunately, means routing many cars past 1, 2 & often 3 half empty lots just to jam them up at the end then waiting for just 1 money-taker per line. When traffic isn't backed up to a lot entrance - let the cars in! Get them off the road as soon as possible! And reassign some of the jokers that keep waving you past available lots to be additional money takers! Once the traffic jams up inside, the real police are limited in what they can do. .... I come to the RBC from Cary on Trinity Rd, then left on Edwards Mill - even on sold-out days, I've rarely had any significant delays until getting into the keep-you-from-parking attendants' take over.

IMO, the basic parking trouble begins with getting the cars into the actual lots once on the RBC property. I understand that their 'plan' tries to keep cars moving - but too often their plan goes against common sense. They want to keep traffic moving around the circle until it backs up to a lot entrance - this, unfortunately, means routing many cars past 1, 2 & often 3 half empty lots just to jam them up at the end then waiting for just 1 money-taker per line. When traffic isn't backed up to a lot entrance - let the cars in! Get them off the road as soon as possible! And reassign some of the jokers that keep waving you past available lots to be additional money takers! Once the traffic jams up inside, the real police are limited in what they can do. .... I come to the RBC from Cary on Trinity Rd, then left on Edwards Mill - even on sold-out days, I've rarely had any significant delays until getting into the keep-you-from-parking attendants' take over.

I agree w/you 027.

We took the Edwards Mill exit and got to the RBC center lot easily, but once we were close (200 ft) to the guy that takes money, I bet we sat there inching forward for 20+ minutes. Meanwhile the traffic keeps backing up. If they had 2 or 3 people that take money at each entrance, IMO it would help tons!

My concern with parking on Sunday wasn't in the fact that I couldn't get in quickly (got there just before 2pm) but the fact that I had a handicapped pass and I had to park in the back of the lot far away from the building because of the Motorcross demonstration. The to top it off, I get an attitude from the old guy taking my money.

I always go in at the Blue Ridge entrance and park in handicapped on the East side. That day, I arrived just before 2pm and came in my regular entrance. I had no problems getting into the lot. When I pulled up to give the man my money, he told me I had to turn left in the last 2 rows because handicapped is full. This, he said, was the closet we would get to the building. I started to pull forward, and he started screaming at me saying I needed to pull into the last row. I politely told he said the last 2 rows. He didn't actually mean that. So I was forced to pull in the last row. They actually had cones set up against the row of cars so we couldn't pull into the EMPTY lot that lay in front of us. So my friend moved the cone and I pulled closer. It was then I realized that the handicapped lot was being used. I was furious. How can they legally expect to get away with having handicapped people park far away from the building? I was so mad. I have a bum knee and it acts up so I park close to cut down on the walking.

I am glad some of you can arrive to games 2+ hours early. I suppose my wife and I could, but that makes it tough on the little one (6 month old).

I still think they should come up with a better plan for the traffic flow in and around the RBC center.

As for Edwards Mill Road...usually at least the eastbound exit is blocked off and diverted to Blue Ridge, but not on Sunday and this caused a HUGE backup where people weren't obeying traffic lights and basically being rude to one another. I stopped when the light I was at was red and you know what the people did coming westbound from Wade? They blocked the intersection and kept me from going for two cycles. It really makes you not want to do the right thing.....this world is really becoming pretty sad.

~UDC

1) leave early. I left Greensboro @ 12:45, for a 3pm game. I can leave 2 1/4 hours before a carolina panthers game (72,000) park and get to the stadium with no problem. I can leave 2 1/4 hours to Lowes Motor Speedway (100,000 +) and not have a problem. But, 18,000 at RBC and it is a major hassle.

2) I can't belive the RBC Center tells people they have nothing to do with the traffic/parking. In most cities, traffic is taken care of by off duty police, and are paid by the arena. I'm guessing the same is done in Raleigh. So the Police and Parking attendants are getting paid by RBC/Hurricanes, yet they aren't responsible?

I hate to hear that some people problems. I had no problem getting in. As usual, we got there about 1 1/2 hours before game time, drank a few beverages, went in about 45 min before game time (got figurines), and wandered around talking to folks and people watching. The tailgating time is part of the total game experience. Once in a while on a week night game, we may get pushed for time, but that lets the after work crowd get through.

Get there early, drive right in. Drink beer. Go inside. Enjoy the crowd. See the game. Go back outside and drink beer. Talk to people. Wait around for autographs, drive right out (with designated driver). It's the total experience.

What I don't understand is how people in this topic can be arriving at the same time and have two different experiences. If the problem was traffic, shouldn't it be a problem for everyone who arrives at that time? How can two people arrive at 2, and one get inside with no problem and the other miss the entire 1st period?

What I don't understand is how people in this topic can be arriving at the same time and have two different experiences. If the problem was traffic, shouldn't it be a problem for everyone who arrives at that time? How can two people arrive at 2, and one get inside with no problem and the other miss the entire 1st period?

I suppose we came two different ways. It seems the Blue Ridge/Trinity Rd. way was best on Sunday.

Also, I didn't miss the entire first period....I missed the first 8 minutes or so. We were standing in line trying to get in when the horn blew for Eaves goal.

Many, many people arrived late due to traffic issues. As I said, I was thinking about picking up some season tickets next year, but if traffic and parking are going to be like this then I will probably just get Center Ice and chill at home. Freaking ridiculous!

Also, I know the figurines have been mentioned in this post as well. I think the reason a lot of people got multiples was either they had multiple tickets with them or the staff that was handing them out wanted to get them all out and go to their assigned duties where they can usually watch the game. This leads to the figurines not being distributed fairly, but hey what are you going to do?? I guess just as traffic/parking issues are concerned, RBC and the Canes don't really care about being fair to the fans. Why not make 18K+ figurines so everyone can have one??

:rolleyes:

2) I can't belive the RBC Center tells people they have nothing to do with the traffic/parking. In most cities, traffic is taken care of by off duty police, and are paid by the arena. I'm guessing the same is done in Raleigh. So the Police and Parking attendants are getting paid by RBC/Hurricanes, yet they aren't responsible?

That is incorrect. My brother-in-law is a Raleigh PD and they are assigned to do the traffic at the RBC, they are not off duty police officers.

Now the ones hanging inside the arena during the games, they are off duty.

We got there about 1:45. Came in on Edwards Mill. No problem. The fans were lining up faster than normal to go in with the figurines.

I've been to about 1/3 of the arenas in the league, not counting the 20+ I've been to for other professional sports and our situation is the worst I've encountered hands down. Weekends I can't even come up with excuses for them, weeknights they could eliminate a good part of their problem by pushing our start time to 7:30, which is a more standard start time, to eliminate the bulk of rush hour traffic. Maybe a few of the people going to games don't work or have super flexible work schedules, but most of us are confined to set hours that make the *two plus hour* window we seem to need to go 15 min to the arena if we want to see the puck drop unrealistic. Even if we could all accomodate the horrid parking debacles, why is that preferable to them just making needed improvements that would help make fans happier?

On another note:

Because typically the giveaways are sponsored by one of the Canes sponsors, and they're giving them away for free. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

:lol: Oh please don't make someone start a new topic about how pathetic the quality and quantity of promos are for our team in relation to other teams in the league. This is another sore spot with the club with a lot of its fans. Yes, it's not a required thing and people don't specifically buy tickets for this (at least not the STH, but they *do* get some individual sales because a promo is going on), but in professional sports the giveaway of fun/cool/useless tchotchke's is a time-honoroed tradition.

A couple of examples of how other teams treat their fans in this department:

http://penguins.nhl.com/team/app/?service=...bcid=tic_promos[/post] (I *so* want one of those Mr. Potato Heads and the bobbleheads are way better looking than our figurines! Cool hats and bags, stuff just for the kids, etc.)

http://coyotes.nhl.com/fanzone/giveaways.htm (Lots of nice/cool things again, hats, bags, shirts, some for everyone, some just for the kids)

We're barely above Columbus on this front. I was surprised to see how many teams offer an *all you can eat section* promotion. That's a little scary.

Please keep this on topic to parking and traffic. Although Im not sure much else can be said about it.

Truthfully, outside of venting, there's not much that can be done about it here on this board. Here is the email of the person who is in charge of the parking at the RBC center, maybe send him an email with your concerns and suggestions?

mikeal@carolinahurricanes.com

Please keep this on topic to parking and traffic. Although Im not sure much else can be said about it.

Truthfully, outside of venting, there's not much that can be done about it here on this board. Here is the email of the person who is in charge of the parking at the RBC center, maybe send him an email with your concerns and suggestions?

That is incorrect. My brother-in-law is a Raleigh PD and they are assigned to do the traffic at the RBC, they are not off duty police officers.

Correct, hence my mention earlier that the person in-charge of the debacle last Sunday was Captain Mize.

I have had a lot of friends from other hockey cities join me as my guest to Hurricane games in the past and the last 2 years particularly I've been quite embarrassed for our city that we seem so inept at handling the traffic. The majority of my problems since the playoffs have been getting into the arena area, I have reserved parking so I can't really comment on once you arrive to the parking lot.

I have been to many professional events in different cities, and can't understand for the life of me how an offsite venue like this one (built in a local rural area with new infrastructure) can be so hard to administer a traffic pattern to. I even told my wife last year at a Devils game in the Swamp, how amazed I was that they could make our traffic handlers look so completely inept.

58,000 people at the NC State football game, traffic not too bad at all. Administered by the SHP

18,000 people at the adjacent Hurricanes hockey game and who knows what will happen... Administered by the RPD.

Go figure.

Yes we can. Again, here is the guy who handles ALL THE PARKING at the RBC Center's email to voice all your displeasure to:

Yes we can. Again, here is the guy who handles ALL THE PARKING at the RBC Center's email to voice all your displeasure to:

From Mr. Alexander....in other words nothing is going to change.

"Due to early arrivals Sunday, the arena lots reached capacity much sooner than normal. When the paved lots fill, Edward's Mill Road traffic is directed onto Trinity Road and into the only available parking in the Carter-Finley lots. If traffic is allowed onto the arena road, it takes even longer to direct around to the available parking spaces. Entrances at Gate A and B on Trinity Road and Gate F on Westchase were open and continued taking incoming game traffic. This is the same traffic pattern used every game for the past three seasons. We just had to implement it much earlier than usual this past Sunday with an 18,000+ sold-out game and fans coming early for the figurine giveaway.

I am always aware of the traffic backups because I direct the traffic attendants from the roof of the arena every game, and stay in constant radio communication with the police department.

Thanks for the link, but I read it following every game.

I do hope this inconvenience does not affect your future visits to the RBC Center,

Mike Alexander

Parking Manager

RBC Center / CAROLINA HURRICANES"