The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
wesley-number-1-fan

Official College Basketball Thread

Go Heels! Craig Adams is a Carolina fan. The other players don't say much about who the pull for. Probably a smart thing to do. LOL

Brindy has turned into a pretty unabashed Wolfpack fan, as noted in the OP.

As for State last night, I'm trying to put it out of my mind.

First off... how the heck did Texas get in that post? "One of these things is not like the other..."

Also, it's South Carolina State. Big difference... South Carolina won back-to-back NIT titles in 2005 and 2006. South Carolina State, however, is a team that we just beat 110-64.

Meanwhile... Duke and Illinois are about to tip off. Two teams I hate, but there won't be a problem determining who I want to lose this game more. ;)

That NCSU loss was flat out horrible. I think they have the most talent in the ACC this year and some of these guys need to put egos aside and play some ball. I don't think Sidney Lowe is gonna have much trouble from now on though, I mean he learned from the master. I think Lowe needs to start Degand, Fells, Costner, McCauley and Hickson. McCauley needs to be in because of how well he played last year, I can see why he may be upset, but Hickson is a beast. Also guys like Fells and Costner aren't scoring because they just aren't getting the ball, adding McCauley, who is an outstanding passer, should help that. I'd sit Grant because he can be really stupid on the court sometimes and also Sid Lowe needs to stop playing scrubs like Ferguson and Horner in important situations in games. There, now I'm done venting. ;)

Good win for Duke over Marquette...we showed we can hang with some of the more athletic, upper-crust teams. Obviously, Duke once again has a team based around basketball skill and not around athleticism...hopefully that'll work out a little better for us this year.

Next game is against Eastern Kentucky, then Wisconsin in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

BTW - what's up with State losing to New Orleans?

What is up with Duke getting these crazy good young guards? First it was Scheyer now its Singler? Either way, Carolina is the team to beat in the ACC this year, and Duke is not as far behind as people think.

GO HEELS!!

Next game is against Eastern Kentucky

Be careful not to overlook them... they gave us a hard time in the first round of the Dance last March. Granted, we pulled away in the second half and made it a blowout, but in the first half, it was really scary.

Big win for State over 'Nova. Officiating was crap all night. Got a bit of a gift at the end but we probably earned with how many bad calls went against us all night, the "travelling" on Grant being the worst. Feels darn good to win a legit tournament instead of one against a bunch of crap teams held on our own floor like during the Herb years.

Gotta fix our rebounding woes. No way a team with our size should get abused on the glass the way we are.

ACC/Big Televen Challenge this week

Seems like the officiating for College Basketball has declined a little this year. Almost every game I've seen the officiating is so inconsistent. After watching the State game and the UNC game this weekend, I'm very disappointed. They would let all kinds of fouls and hacks go on in the paint, and on the perimeter they would call touch fouls left and right. I've also noticed a lot more blocking fouls instead of charges being called.

Listened to the second half on the way home from the game. Sounds like we started off sloppy, but once again, we closed when we needed to. We're getting the job done, my friends.

...just makes me love the heels that much more :)

Thanks! That is great ;)

Sounds like we started off sloppy, but once again, we closed when we needed to. We're getting the job done, my friends.

Not sure why we keep doing this. Went to a closed practice and watched... and they do great when playing each other. But yet, we start games sloppy but come back winning. You are right though... at least we're winning.

Monday update:

Carolina takes over #1 in both polls following their win over Kentucky and UCLA's loss to Texas

Duke is up to #6 in the AP Poll after a rout of Wisconsin and a win over Davidson...the Blue Devils stay #7 in the coaches' poll.

NC State is no longer ranked in either poll.

Also of interest:

UCLA falls to #7 AP and #8 coaches', while Texas rises to #4 AP and #5 coaches'.

Watch out for St. Mary's College of California (the Gaels)...they finished just out of the top 25 in both polls. Although they're in the mid-major WCC, they've been destroying opponents and put a real hurtin' on Oregon.

Stupid coaches' poll... I bet they're regretting moving UCLA over us now. That's why AP is the best poll there is.

I'm completely sick of wasting my time to watch NC State play like ****. I'm sorry but I'm venting right now. This team is more talented than the one from last year, but is completely unfocused, and doesn't have near the desire to win or the heart. They can't dribble the ball, pass it or rebound at all. It is embarrassing, just flat out embarrassing. I say Sidney needs to go back to an Iron 5 again to reward the guys who played so well together last year. I don't care how good Hickson is, he came into this season starting when he should've been the 6th man because playing him so much has completely screwed up the chemistry. It is hard enough to introduce a new PG, but to introduce an entire new starting line up has made this offense completely sloppy and stagnant and that has affected their defensive game as well. This team has the talent to challenge UNC and Duke for tops in the ACC and I thought they had the coaching to make the best lineups, but I may be wrong. Sidney just isn't making the adjustments that improve the team between games and during games which he did so well at last year.

Yeah... I should have known the preseason hype was too good to be true. State's going to be pathetic yet again. Meanwhile, the Carolina-Duke rivalry will be back to its normal self this season for sure. What a matchup that's going to be.