The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
wesley-number-1-fan

Official College Basketball Thread

What happened to his will in that Georgetown game last year?

It got trumped by the referees putting their whistles in their pockets after Hibbert picked up his fourth foul. He got away with assault and battery for the last 12 minutes or so of that game. That's a fact. And while that may sound like whining, it's not. Carolina still would've won the game had they 1) been able to hit an ouside shot - ANY SHOT - down the stretch or 2) stop throwing up @#$% with 25 seconds on the shot clock.

That game, however, set the tone for this year's team, so there was a silver lining, faint as it may be.

Since I did not specify men or women college b-ball...

The UNC women lost to LSU Lady Tigers yesterday, 50-56. It was truly a sad game, I thought they'd go farther.

Loved this article from N&O:

This Final Four is full of firsts. For the first time, all four No. 1 seeds -- North Carolina, Kansas, Memphis and UCLA -- advanced to the NCAA Tournament semifinals. For the first time, Tar Heels coach Roy Williams will face his former team, Kansas.And Kansas is back in the Final Four for the first time under Williams' successor, Bill Self.

Wow... that's got to be tough. Especially considering that they apparently despise us because they hate Roy.

(This is highly edited.)

I just stepped out of a time machine. Where have I been? 1998.

Switch "Kansas" with "Utah" and you get pretty much the same thing. I'm SO GLAD that my Tar Heels showed up to play the first 15 minutes of the game. Then, JUST like '98, Carolina chops into the insurmountable lead and cuts it all the way to four. And then, JUST like '98, the shots stop falling. Kansas came to play for 40 minutes and deserves to win the game - they were the better team tonight. That's the thing about the NCAA Tournament, it's one and done. UNC is better than they were tonight and everyone knows it. That's the disappointing thing about it all.

I know it's not cool to criticize "student-athletes," but Ty Lawson.... way to show up tonight. Your NBA stock just plummeted about seven rounds - yes, I know, the draft is only two rounds - cause there ain't one pro team that wants to play your butt if you play like you did tonight. (Except maybe the Knicks.) You did nothing. I expect you to take this abysmal performance (that's an understatement,) watch it every day for the next 6 months, and use it for inspiration to improve your game in the offseason.

Wayne and Danny, way to put the team on your backs and slice into the 28 point lead. The shots just stopped falling, whether it was fatigue or just bad luck or whatever. I still think that if Green's three that rolls around the rim twice falls in rather than out, the game's totally different. Hansbrough is amazing, but Kansas just sent too many bodies at him. Clemson had the same big man depth and gave him fits earlier this year too. This one won't set well with him, and I expect him back next season, too.

Q, thanks for the memories. I'll always remember the runner vs. Clemson. Was pretty cool to see you develop from a walking turnover to a solid contributor - and team-saver while Lawson was out.

Rock, Chalk, Jayhawk on Monday. Finish it off, Kansas. As for Carolina, we'll see ya next season. Go Tar Heels.

P.S. This is easily the worst weekend ever.

The worst weekend EVER. The Canes lost, the Tarheels lost and all on my birthday, too.

And to make it worse, I have to go to church tomorrow and endure the never ending taunts from all my State and Duke friends... fun fun. <_<

What a night. The Caps seal off the 'Canes fate and the Heels come out and decide not to play for half the game. I'm not sure what they were doing for most of the game, but it sure wasn't playing basketball.

I echo the thoughts about the worst weekend ever. Talk about everything bad happening at once.

Well, everyone's team has lost. Here's to a long, boring summer, sports-wise at least.

I envy those of you who are able to get into baseball, since I can't. NFL season doesn't start until September. Oh well...go Duke lacrosse!

Finally, UNC loses.

Hopefully that'll force the UNC fans in my bio class to be introduced to someone they've never met before: humility.

That much college homerism just in HS huh? I didn't have that in my HS...sure yea we liked certain schools...had different family backgrounds and stuff who went to one of the big three...but nobody rubbed it in each other's faces lol...I mean none of us were in college yet...times must've changed. I feel bad if you gotta put up with that *edit* already...HS certainly has enough of it.

Well, everyone's team has lost. Here's to a long, boring summer, sports-wise at least.

I envy those of you who are able to get into baseball, since I can't. NFL season doesn't start until September. Oh well...go Duke lacrosse!

It's not totally boring... I still get to watch Maria dominate the tennis world. :lol:

But yeah... we've got to wait until the end of summer for our major teams to get back in action. Long wait. :(

I still feel like complete garbage. I don't know if losing by 50 would've been "better," but I don't think I'd feel as bad now had they rolled over rather than fought all the way back to 4 with plenty of time left. Kinda like it wouldn't have hurt had the Canes just rolled over after Brind'Amour went down. I sometimes wonder why we invest so much emotionally into sports, and whether the incredible highs are worth the weekends like this past one.

As for me, I'll keep up with the Braves a good bit, and it's definitely Tiger Watch for me thru the PGA Championship... then it's time for football.

That much college homerism just in HS huh? I didn't have that in my HS...sure yea we liked certain schools...had different family backgrounds and stuff who went to one of the big three...but nobody rubbed it in each other's faces lol...I mean none of us were in college yet...times must've changed. I feel bad if you gotta put up with that *edit* already...HS certainly has enough of it.

Did you go to HS in NC? I ask because I am 42 years old and when I was in Junior High and High School here in Raleigh back in the day there was plenty of smack talking regarding college athletics...especially basketball. You were either a State, UNC or (to a lesser extent) Duke fan and everybody knew it...and took advantage of it if your team lost. Sound to me like times haven't changed a bit. :)

Dear Hazard,

Free throw shooting doesn't matter. I said so.

Sincerely,

John Calipari

In all seriousness, that was a heck of a title game. I'm glad Kansas won, because I'm fairly sure Memphis is a dirty program.

Crazy game last night. Calipari does not want to admit it but free throw shooting is definitely what did Memphis in at the end, and the shot by Chalmers, just...wow.

Memphis didn't have much in the tank for overtime, and Dorsey fouling out hurt them even more.