The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
wesley-number-1-fan

Official College Basketball Thread

What the hell was the Clemson defender thinking going for the steal on that last play? Yeah, just gamble leaving Ellington with an open look, that's a good idea. Idiot.

Clemson looks like they're for real though. As for State, we could barely beat 1-18 Presbyterian and have 1 more tune-up against NC Central before the bullets start flying for real. Since our first 2 ACC games are @ UNC and @ Clemson, it's safe to say we'll be starting 0-2.

Wow, what a game! I've been saying this since the beginning of the season when UNC's schedule came out, but truly, up until tonight they had played absolutely nobody who is a worthy opponent for the nationally ranked #1 team, which in turn leaves them very prone to the power that is the ACC this year, and every year. They've played the champions of smaller conferences to boost their strength of schedule, but it's all an optical illusion. This is almost like App State playing Michigan for each game, but with a different outcome :lol: . No small team beat UNC this year because they're just too dominant. Now that UNC has gotten to ACC play (the toughest in the nation for many decades now), they are completely unprepared as shown tonight. Clemson played a very good game, but UNC got plain lucky that they won this game because of Wayne "The Rain" Ellington, and boy did he ever rain in those threes tonight. Maybe tonight's exceptionally close game will allow UNC to grasp the fact that they need to buckle down. No team can afford 20+ turnovers in one game and expect to win in the ACC. Ultimately, props to the Heels for pulling this one out, I'm very glad they did, but next year, PLEASE schedule some powerhouses before you get to January for ACC play. On a positive note, at least UNC gets a breather next game vs. UNC-Asheville. Big deal, they're twice the size of my high school.

GOD BLESS WAYNE ELLINGTON.

DITTO.

Where was Roy's brain last night? He was yelling, but apparently he wasn't doing SOMETHING right, because that game was too close. Even if Clemson was a good team, we should've beaten them easily.

15-0... #1 still...

No... that game went exactly how it should have gone. Clemson is for real, and I think it's safe to say that they're the third-best team in the ACC right behind us and Duke.

No... that game went exactly how it should have gone. Clemson is for real, and I think it's safe to say that they're the third-best team in the ACC right behind us and Duke.

Ya know, I wouldn't be surprised if 2 and 3 weren't the other way around. Because unless Duke shoots the lights out, I don't see anyone on their front line that can deal with those guys down low.

Have I mentioned that Wayne Ellington is a stone cold killer?

If we knew being in the ACC for basketball could be this much fun, we'd have asked to join in a long time ago

:lol: we just downed UVa at the buzzer in their brand new arena for their first ever ACC loss in the JPJ Arena...

Ahhhhhh nice

I'm just glad that Carolina got out of that house of horrors with a win. There are two buildings in the conference that scare the crap out of me when I see them on the Heels' schedule: Littlejohn and the Thrillerdome. We escaped both of them with wins, so I'm happy.

I wish the voters would put Memphis ahead of UNC... seems to me that Carolina never plays well as the #1 team in the land anyway. not like the top slot in the AP or Coaches' poll means anything in the second or third week of January anyway. But if the team with "North Carolina" on the front of their unis is 18-0, they're gonna be the top ranked team in the land. Just the way it is.

I know I haven't watched too much UNC this year but that wasn't the number 1 team in the country. They were lucky to walk away with a win.

Nice, classy way of accepting a loss. You can take that route, but as for me, I'll congratulate your team on a heck of an effort. It always seems to be tough when we head down to Atlanta.

I know I haven't watched too much UNC this year but that wasn't the number 1 team in the country. They were lucky to walk away with a win.

Have you watched much ACC basketball lately? ACC games are going to be competitive no matter what the teams are ranked, except in the case of NCSU, but we all know they are bad. Any time UNC or Duke goes on the road they always get a tough fight because teams want a piece, but the team I saw showed heart and grit to pull out a win on the road in the ACC. UNC is the number one team in the country, still, with the number one player in the country.

Nice, classy way of accepting a loss. You can take that route, but as for me, I'll congratulate your team on a heck of an effort. It always seems to be tough when we head down to Atlanta.

No if I was being "classy" I would have complained only about the officiating in the last minute (by the way it was consistent throughout the game) and the fact that the officials let Hansbrough stay in the game despite the fact he was bleeding. Tech played their best game so far this year, which isn't saying much, mismanaged their timeouts and put themselves in a position to blow the last possession, which they then did.

Have you watched much ACC basketball lately? ACC games are going to be competitive no matter what the teams are ranked, except in the case of NCSU, but we all know they are bad. Any time UNC or Duke goes on the road they always get a tough fight because teams want a piece, but the team I saw showed heart and grit to pull out a win on the road in the ACC. UNC is the number one team in the country, still, with the number one player in the country.

I have watched much ACC basketball and I understand that winning on the road isn't easy, but that doesn't change that UNC doesn't have that obvious superiority and swagger yet. Not once during that game were they able to dominate what could be the worst ACC school this year. You saw a team show grit and heart, I saw a team that didn't play enough defense and couldn't put someone away who has lost to UNC-G by 9 in that building.

I am admittedly biased here but Duke impressed me a lot more than UNC last night because they put FSU away in the final minutes and UNC let Tech hang around for a chance to win in the last 10 seconds. UNC might become the number one team by the end of the year but at this point UCLA and Kansas look better, that is ultimately what I meant by my comment that UNC doesn't look like #1.

A win is a win....Carolina is 18 & 0....Georgia Tech is 7 & 9.

Every elite team has bad games. If you can still pull off a win on your bad game days, there is nothing else to say!

Still the number one team in the good ole US of A!

The Heels played like total crap for the better part of 30 minutes. It is SO annoying to watch them mail it in on the defensive side of the ball like that. Maybe they wrote off this one as an easy win the way I did, particularly with the upcoming schedule of @Miami, BC, @FSU, and Duke.

That all being said, they still should've won the game but played undisciplined down the stretch. Maryland deserved to win, they played a better game and made the plays they needed to make. Vasquez is still the arrogant jerk he was last year... glad to see he hasn't matured at all. And Osby has jumped to the top of the All-Ugly team nominees this year. Nice fold job by Green defensively on the game winning bucket, even if he was outsized.

Now that Carolina isn't invincible, maybe now they get their heads out of their butts and COME TO WORK. Hopefully this will be a constructive loss for them.

...And Osby has jumped to the top of the All-Ugly team nominees this year...

Oh come on its all about the 'fro. I absolutely encourage collegiate athletes to have creative/interesting/distinct hair. Now only if someone clean cut like Hansbrough or Paulus would have the courage for a mohawk.

Oh come on its all about the 'fro. I absolutely encourage collegiate athletes to have creative/interesting/distinct hair. Now only if someone clean cut like Hansbrough or Paulus would have the courage for a mohawk.

The fro is nice... it's the rest of his face that's the problem.

Man what a day yesterday. State wins in dramatic fashion and Carolina loses in dramatic fashion. Whatever poison was in the water and the RBC appears to have been cleaned out.

Soooooo woopdeedoo... Carolina Lost. Anyone care? Only game I really care for coming up in the next month is UNC/ Duke!!! Whooo to going to the game and missing half of school the next day!!!

So what?! Duke is rated 3 and UNC is 4. I don't care. Dookies know it won't last, so why even caring that they are higher?!

GO HEELS!!!

Whatever poison was in the water and the RBC appears to have been cleaned out.

After the events of these last 2 nights, I hereby retract this statement. Losing is the order of the day at the RBC once again.