The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
asucraig3

Simon/Hollweg incident

If Bertuzzi didn't get a lifetime ban, then Simon won't, either.

However, if you look up "blatant" in the dictionary, you'll find a picture of this hit. Anything less than a season ban would surprise me.

lifetime ban or forced retirement for a career of cheap shots.

remember when he knocked Sami Kapannen's teeth out in a preseason game?? Both players were on the bench at the time - no penalty or suspension because the refs didn't see it, and there was no video

The guy has a history of suspensions. They need to sit him for the remainder of this season and 3-4 weeks of the next. Might not be a bad idea to send him to some anger management classes. Seems he has some self-control issues.

The remainder of the season at a minimum, including the playoffs.

Stuff like this is what gives hockey such a black eye. You never saw incidents like this before. Now they've almost become commonplace.

I would not be surprised if assault charges were levelled against Simon.

I say he'll get between 10-15 games. I believe Bertuzzi got around 20. This time he skated off the ice without help.

Honestly I believe this attack to have been much more serious than even what Bertuzzi did. Perhaps Hollweg wasn't injured like Moore was, but he could have definitely been injured just as bad if not worse.

Well, as I type this I think of the sticks that these guys use now. They are extremely light and you'd have to swing the hell out of them to really hurt someone TOO bad. I think that's why it looks so shocking to watch the replay, because you'd think there's a lot more weight in swinging a stick. Imagine what would have happened years ago if someone had done that with a nice heavy wooden stick. He'd have a broken jaw for sure.

Either way, I'm fairly certain his season is done at least.

all i can say is.... HOLY COW!!! he baseball bat him!! i like Simon b/c he's a good player but he certainly does have an anger problem. when he played for the Flames, he was always hitting hard; too hard sometimes... most of the time... he deserves a season suspension... for sure! this coming from a person who likes him as a player... gah! Stupid Simon... he should get manditory anger management...

Saw on nhl.com that the league handed down an indefinite suspension, but I didn't read the whole thing, sorry.

After watching that hit, my blood ran cold. He coulda killed the poor guy, cracking his larynx and collapsing his pharynx/trachea. Kinda hard to live when you can't breathe. Just an astonishing hit. For WHAT?

yeah that was completely uncalled for!

i think he should be suspended the rest of this season, including the playoffs for sure

he got mad that he was checked into the boards, did he have to smack him in the face w// the stick?? check him back, cmon!

that was really low on his part

If memory serves me well, this is just another cheap shot from him in a long line of cheap shots. I would like him gone from hockey AND charged with assault. This is what has given our sport a bad rep. The league has got to come down hard to rid itself of this, but I doubt they have the stones to meet out more than a season ending suspension.

As I see it, ANY senseless action by ANY player needs to be dealt with hard......send a message and the crap will stop and we can get back to skilled hockey play.

I think that he should get a lifetime ban, but wouldn't be surprised if he got the same punishment as Bertuzzi, which was a ban, but with the option to be reinstated.

Just because Hollweg wasn't injured badly, doesn't mean that the hit wasn't vicious and uncalled for.

During our game in NY, the talking heads were quite worked up over the Simon/Hollweg hit. Each wanted a more stringent penalty than the next. One guy proposed that the NHL start the year with hits like that getting one level of reprisal. And for each succeeding similar infraction, the penalty worsens. But the bottom line, they agreed that the league needs to take tougher measures. One of the guys insisted that these hits will never stop because guys have a brain disconnect out there and just react. One mentioned that the NHLPA needs to step up its involvement and protect its own members.

Interesting but brief conversation between them. Heated, in its own way. It was obvious that each of the three sanctioned this sort of action, hate it, and wish it could be stopped, and the one guy insisted that no one will ever be able to stop this, which is probably true. It is also true that the Players Association needs to be more politic about protecting its own.

I wish that their bottom line, no negotiation starting point is that the NHL IS the players and that there is no hockey without them - otherwise the game goes to a video game. The players are the League's #1 asset and should be treated as such - but not just by the League, by their own damned selves! Instead of hunting each other down like this is some ice rink special forces guerilla warfare, it would be nice if they'd respect the fact that the game and their livelihood depends on each and every one of them contributing 100% - and not armed with spears, daggers, axes, and plastic-encased craniums. It can still be a gloriously physical and monstrously powerful game without the goombah effect.