The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
CanesGrrrl

What are YOU reading?

I love reading great books. I'm working through E.M. Forster's novels at this time. I finished A Room With a View and Howard's End. I'm reading The Longest Journey now and Where Angels Fear to Tread is waiting for me.

I have a BA in English and because I'm a SAHM, I'm not really using it for anything other than reading and a little writing. I would love to hear some good suggestions.

Welcome to the boards.

There really is nothing like a good book...except of course a good Canes game. ;-)

I love reading great books. I'm working through E.M. Forster's novels at this time. I finished A Room With a View and Howard's End. I'm reading The Longest Journey now and Where Angels Fear to Tread is waiting for me.

I have a BA in English and because I'm a SAHM, I'm not really using it for anything other than reading and a little writing. I would love to hear some good suggestions.

Yay for BAs in English! I have a huge stack of books ready for my summer reading. A few of them include Wuthering Heights, In Cold Blood, Rebecca, and The Fountainhead. Having a BA in English, I'm sure you've read most of them. If you haven't read The Handmaid's Tale, I'd really suggest it. It's all about a dystopian society much like that of Brave New World or 1984. I love it so far!

And yes, I'd love suggestions, too!

I'm currently reading "Between The Lines". Its a great book about life in the NHL from an officials perspective from one of my favorite officials.

I just finished The Fountainhead for about the 4th time.......when the struggle for sanity or reason starts to be meaningless, I always pick up this book. Clarity once again. And I just love the line:

Toohey: So Roark, what do you think of me?

Roark: But I don't think of you.

Just started Three Cups of Tea by Mortenson, an American climber. Failed in his attempt to climb K2, but has succeeded in much more. He has built a dozen or so girl schools in Pakistan. So far, it's a wonderful book. He's done more to win hearts and minds than any propaganda machine the US could have ever devised. I'm getting the feeling that one person can make a difference.

The Harry Potter series. Thought it would be a good idea to see what my kids have are getting into.

The Harry Potter series. Thought it would be a good idea to see what my kids have are getting into.

Not sure that "have are getting into" makes since but not a bad choice. What book are you on right now?

I'm reading A Northern Light, by, I may stand corrected, Jennifer Donnelly. Kinda old time for my taste, though; it's a school book.

Another English major here. I just finished a grueling semester so I don't even want to look at a book for a while. But I've got a week off before the first summer session starts so I might read "The Scar" by China Mieville again. I loved "Perdido Street Station" and "Iron Council," but I wasn't feeling "The Scar" all that much, so I'll give it another chance. I think I'll be doing more writing than reading with my time off, though.

Not sure that "have are getting into" makes since but not a bad choice. What book are you on right now?

Well clearly Im not an English major, lol. I meant to say have been reading, are reading and are about to start reading, depending on which kid we're talking about. ;)

Im on book #1, pretty good and very quick read so far.

Well clearly Im not an English major, lol. I meant to say have been reading, are reading and are about to start reading, depending on which kid we're talking about. ;)

Im on book #1, pretty good and very quick read so far.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Strange, strange book. It's about Satan coming to Moscow during the Soviet era, where everyone was an atheist. Naturally, he wreaks havoc there. It's a good read thus far, although I'm sure I'll have to read it again so I can understand it better.

The Master and Margarita by Mikhail Bulgakov.

Strange, strange book. It's about Satan coming to Moscow during the Soviet era, where everyone was an atheist. Naturally, he wreaks havoc there. It's a good read thus far, although I'm sure I'll have to read it again so I can understand it better.

That's interesting, because when I was a Teaching Assistant during my Grad studies, I had a student who grew up in Russia during the Soviet Union. She said people didn't necessarily become atheistic, religion and church just became much more private and non-social. Like you'd go to church every Sunday, but never talk about going to church.

I'm not reading anything atm, I don't have the attention for it currently. though I did read Michael criton's Next (sp? Jurassic park author...). It was a quick read, finished it in a few hours.

My wife is more consistent with the reading then me, shes on the wheel of time series, forget what book she is on, like nine or ten I think. Great series if you are into fantasy lord of the rings type novels.

How appropriate, Eric Lindros' biography is being distributed to girlscouts. =D

But seriously, I'm doing my usual summer sweep and reading the Illiad and the Odyssey.

That's interesting, because when I was a Teaching Assistant during my Grad studies, I had a student who grew up in Russia during the Soviet Union. She said people didn't necessarily become atheistic, religion and church just became much more private and non-social. Like you'd go to church every Sunday, but never talk about going to church.

Judging by your age, I'm assuming that the student you're referring to is from post-Stalin Russia? I'm no expert on the USSR, but weren't Kruschev and Gorbachev much more lenient about such things than Stalin was?

Anyways, the book takes place in the 20's or so, and it doesn't actually reference anything about Stalin or the government directly, so I don't know what all is exaggeration and what isn't. Most of the characters in the book thus far have been people involved in a high society literature circle, and many have written anti-religous poems. That said, it's a fascinating read, if not kinda trippy. :P

I recommend it to you, my good sir.