The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
caniac23

Help Planning Vacation

Holiday Inn Midtown has always been a good stay for me....convenient to the theatre district, times square etc...a few good local places to eat within a few blocks...and cetral park about a block or so away.

As far as New York, Milford Plaza in Manhattan is great for the price and in a safe area! It's one street over from Times Sqare and in walking distance of Times Square and the theater district. It's an older hotel that has been refurbished, the rooms are small but clean, great service and a beautiful lobby. This use to be the hotel that stars and contestants from TV shows would stay back in the 80's, but now they stay in pricier hotels, which leaves the Milford nicely priced. It's one block down and on the same street as the fireman statue memorial. Some great inexpensive food at no name resturaunts on the same street (I have a friend from Manahattan that says the food is better at the not so famous resturants). I will always stay here when I go back to NY.

I have several friends from DC and they always say to stay in the small suberbs that have the Metro going into the city. Several hotels have free shuttels to the Metro and are reasonably priced. They say to never stay in the city, very pricey and sometimes dangerous areas.

ahh DC is underrated if you ask me. It's a beautiful city, especially at this time of the year. My family goes up there every Thanksgiving and every summer usually, and there are a lot of fun things to do. Since the tourist attractions are pretty obvious, try checking out some of the great restaurants. There are tons of great breweries (if you're into that kind of thing) and other eateries that are worth going to. If you like baseball, you might try to catch a Nationals game since they just put in the new stadium, which is supposed to be great. Hope you have a good time there! :]

Thanks. I thought about going to a Nationals game, but they won't be there when we go. We were planning the week before, which they're there all week, but hey... air line tickets were cheaper on the week we were going. We'll goto the usual tourist attractions, and maybe Willimsburg, Virginia and Busch Gardens. We would drive up there, but with prices as they are, it was much cheaper for us to fly up there from Florida. I've driven past/through the DC area (driving there is intense. I haven't experienced anything like where else where yet... and I've driven all over Florida, all across the east side of the US and in Puerto Rico) so I know my way around that much... should be fun.

It would be even better if the Canes were playing the Caps. Then we could swing by and watch a game... but our timing is a bit off. :)

When I have had to go to DC, I've stayed in Crystal City (Arlington, near the Reagan Airport). The Best Western has decent rates - weekends are always much cheaper, though, than weekday. And parking in their lot is free!

I only drive to the hotel, though - I leave the car there and take the Metro into the city. Much easier and cheaper than trying to drive. And if you don't want to walk to the Metro station, they have a shuttle that will drop you off there.

http://book.bestwestern.com/bestwestern/pr...pertyCode=09101

Good find, but we planned on going mid July for a week, but the cost was higher than I wanted. Good find though for a 1 nighter or so. Thanks! :)

hope you have a good trip but maybe next time you can go to buffalo--it really is a nice city if you can find anything to do. the falls get boring after a while, but it is a lot of fun walking around in hurricanes stuff and seeing the response you get out of those people! :lol:

hope you have a good trip but maybe next time you can go to buffalo--it really is a nice city if you can find anything to do. the falls get boring after a while, but it is a lot of fun walking around in hurricanes stuff and seeing the response you get out of those people! :lol:

You could always go to a Sabres game B)

Whenever I've gone to D.C. or NYC I've always bid on priceline.com for hotels. You can pick and choose pretty much exactly what area you want to stay in and how classy of a place you want too... So far I've been extremely happy with what I've gotten at a very reasonable price. Whatever you do have a great time and have fun!

You could always go to a Sabres game B)

:lol: ... oh... you we're being serious? :blink: j/k I'd gladly go see ANY hockey game ANYWHERE for the right price. Now, would I bring my wife too all decked out in Canes gear with me? I dunno about that. :)

i only go during the summer, so haven't been to a sabre game yet. i've driven by the hsbc and it isn't pretty... no place to tailgate! but the :unsure::blink::unsure::blink: :angry: faces you get from the buffalonians are funny.

Grr.... we booked our hotel already, because we thought with all the choices of hotels/motels around the vicinity, we better pick and choose quick. We found our plane tickets though hotwire. Tried to order them, and they're no longer available. So I tried again, and again, not available. I call hotwire, same situation. I try expedia, and supposedly the company I was going to go through, AirTran, is doing inventory and doesn't know what the prices will be like after inventory and doesn't know when it will end. So I call AirTran direct.

I went to their website, found an online special. 89 bucks, probably the crappiest seat but for 2 hours, it's worth it. Call, and the lady's telling me it's 209 per ticket. I explained online, it was 89. "Sir, thats the same rate. The seat itself is 89, and after taxes, it's 209" I had to know what taxes were being charged. Fuel taxes, 9/11 taxes, security taxes, this and this and this... Taxes MORE than the ticket itself?!? Faghettabowdit. We're driving up now, forget the gas prices. I hate the bait and switch stuff. It's a good thing what I muttered couldn't be heard by anyone but my wife.

Grr.... we booked our hotel already, because we thought with all the choices of hotels/motels around the vicinity, we better pick and choose quick. We found our plane tickets though hotwire. Tried to order them, and they're no longer available. So I tried again, and again, not available. I call hotwire, same situation. I try expedia, and supposedly the company I was going to go through, AirTran, is doing inventory and doesn't know what the prices will be like after inventory and doesn't know when it will end. So I call AirTran direct.

I went to their website, found an online special. 89 bucks, probably the crappiest seat but for 2 hours, it's worth it. Call, and the lady's telling me it's 209 per ticket. I explained online, it was 89. "Sir, thats the same rate. The seat itself is 89, and after taxes, it's 209" I had to know what taxes were being charged. Fuel taxes, 9/11 taxes, security taxes, this and this and this... Taxes MORE than the ticket itself?!? Faghettabowdit. We're driving up now, forget the gas prices. I hate the bait and switch stuff. It's a good thing what I muttered couldn't be heard by anyone but my wife.

At least you'll get a chance to drive through the fine state of North Carolina, about 45 minutes East of us here in Raleigh on I-95. :)

At least you'll get a chance to drive through the fine state of North Carolina, about 45 minutes East of us here in Raleigh on I-95. :)

Yes, the glimmering roads as I recall. I never could find out why the roads in the Triangle glimmered like glitter. Who knew DC was a hot topic? :lol:

Yes, the glimmering roads as I recall. I never could find out why the roads in the Triangle glimmered like glitter. Who knew DC was a hot topic? :lol:
Could always come up to Albany and pay me a visit :lol:

Going to DC huh,,,,um,,, my suggestion would be to make sure you have a bullit proof vest and a lie detector for all the political bullcrap that is flying around!

I stayed at the Radisson in Arlington. Crystal City metro is a hop, skip and a jump from the hotel and it is fairly inexpensive.

Bringing back an old topic, we're getting closer to going, but we don't have any tickets yet. I called my congressman, and spoke with whoever is in charge of tickets and whatnot, at beginning of June. I have a tour to the Pentagon set up, but nothing yet for Capitol building, White House, yada yada yada... can't do the F.B.I. building, it's not taking any tours right now or is full.

So, to any of you who have gone to D.C. and toured the White House, or where ever, when did you get tickets for these places? I believe I can always go up there and set up a tour/get tickets early in the morning, correct? Hate to drive all the way up there not tour some of those places.

I would recommend going to the Holocaust museum while you are there, but get your tickets in advance otherwise you will be standing around for a long time. Really awesome museum and it was very moving.

I would recommend going to the Holocaust museum while you are there, but get your tickets in advance otherwise you will be standing around for a long time. Really awesome museum and it was very moving.

Did that this morning. For 3.50, we had to.

Also changed out hotel from Capitol Hill Suites to Hotel Harrington. I read A LOT of bad reviews about the Capitol Hill Suites, and then I found this hotel for around the same price, half the price for parking, wireless internet.. Right near the F.B.I. Building, Smithsonian of Natural History.

Things to do are Pentagon, Arlington Cemetary, Smithsonians, Holocasut Museum, Monuments.. still waiting on tours for places like Capitol, I doubt I'll get the White House since it was a spur of the moment trip..