The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Top 25 things disappearing in the US

Wow...call me old school, but I still use or own 12 of these... :blink:

The landscape of America is constantly changing. As culture shifts and new technologies and products are introduced, this is to be expected. But some things are impacted more than others and the once-ubiquitous can even become extinct.

http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-25....5531x1200290687''>http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-25....5531x1200290687' target="_blank">http://www.walletpop.com/specials/top-25....5531x1200290687[/post]

25. Pit Toilets - the number of Americans who lacked indoor plumbing was down to 0.6% or 670,000 households (1.3 million people)

24. Yellow Pages

23. Classified Ads

22. Movie Rental Stores

21. Dial-up Internet Access - 10% still use it

20. Phone Landlines - 1 in 6 homes are cell only

19. Chesapeake Bay Blue Crabs - Ugh I LOVE these! There are only about 120 million crabs in the bay, down 70% since 1990.

18. VCRs

17. Ash Trees - 7.5 billion ash trees are in danger of being killed by some stupid beetle from Asia.

16. Ham Radio

15. The Swimming Hole

14. Answering Machines - In NY since 2000 landlind use has dropped 55%.

13. Cameras That Use Film - Only 3% in sales.

12. Incandescent Bulbs - a new energy bill plans to phase out incandescent bulbs in the next 4 to 12 years.

11. Stand-Alone Bowling Alleys

10. The Milkman - only 0.4% percent nowadays

9. Hand-Written Letters - in 2004 half a trillion text messages sent.

8. Wild Horses - 32,000 free roaming horses in ten Western states, with half of them residing in Nevada.

7. Personal Checks

6. Drive-in Theaters - Only 405 left.

5. Mumps & Measles

4. Honey Bees - 'Colony Collapse Disorder,' or CCD, has spread throughout the U.S. and Europe over the past few years, wiping out 50% to 90% of the colonies.

3. News Magazines and TV News

2. Analog TV

1. The Family Farm - Less than 2.1 million farms left

Can you add any others?

The shame about Ham Radio is most people of my generation have never heard of it. If I hadnt been introduced to it in College I would be one of those who had never heard of it... but even the people who do use it are frustrated by silly Family Radio Service walkie talkies which have a range of like 10 feet but encroach on the ham bands and use our frequencies... Nextel PTT and other type services are all the rage now... heck.. people dont even bother using CB's anymore. The cops quit using Channel 9 and switched to 440 mHz secure systems and most truckers even are using Nextel and other services like that.... One funny thing i did see at a truck stop recently though was a bluetooth CB mike... all they had was a price tag, i didnt see a picture of it or a box.. but I wonder if its a wireless earpiece? LOL...

I have to plead guilty to using my check card and paying everything online.. I write one check a month... for rent.

Other things disappearing in the US... anything MADE in the US.....

Other things disappearing in the US... anything MADE in the US.....

Good one, lol.

Phone booths - completely obsolete.

My fiancee and I saw a pay phone at one of the museums in Colonial Williamsburg and we took a picture of it since we hadnt seen one in years! LOL.. she captioned the photo "They do still exist!"