The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

NC's Jesse Helms dead at age of 86

I can't say that I agreed with him on much of anything but the one time I met him (many years ago), he was so nice and respectful. He didn't care that I was just some 17 yr. old kid; he talked to me and took the time to answer questions. Outside of the political arena, he was a gentleman. My sympathies go out to his family.

I can't say that I agreed with him on much of anything but the one time I met him (many years ago), he was so nice and respectful. He didn't care that I was just some 17 yr. old kid; he talked to me and took the time to answer questions. Outside of the political arena, he was a gentleman. My sympathies go out to his family.

In the political arena, even those across the aisle had a lot of respect for him. Agree or disagree on policies aside, he was a man who truly cared about others and always did whatever he could to help those in need. He was well known as the best example of how a political figure should interact with their constituents. Everyone always knew where he stood, too.

He was a political icon that showed you could respect a person whether you agreed with them or not. It's unfortunate that there isn't much of that attitude in politics these days.

In the political arena, even those across the aisle had a lot of respect for him. Agree or disagree on policies aside, he was a man who truly cared about others and always did whatever he could to help those in need. He was well known as the best example of how a political figure should interact with their constituents. Everyone always knew where he stood, too.

He was a political icon that showed you could respect a person whether you agreed with them or not. It's unfortunate that there isn't much of that attitude in politics these days.

Sure ??? Talk about showing respect. Ask Carol Moseley Braun, the first African-American woman elected to the senate about how he showed respect. All this stuff about being a gentlemen is rewriting history. And I totally disagree on helping those in need. His office was good at helping people get visas and passports but helping those people in need? Ask all the people who had family members who died of aids since he held up any help toward research. I am no liberal but he was nothing but a stubborn roadblock NC was looked at as back$$wards for so many years since he was the senior senator that we would be far ahead of the curve than we are now if he were not in office. Knowing where he stood means nothing.

He was good at whistling dixie, I guess

Sure ??? Talk about showing respect. Ask Carol Moseley Braun, the first African-American woman elected to the senate about how he showed respect. All this stuff about being a gentlemen is rewriting history. And I totally disagree on helping those in need. His office was good at helping people get visas and passports but helping those people in need? Ask all the people who had family members who died of aids since he held up any help toward research. I am no liberal but he was nothing but a stubborn roadblock NC was looked at as back$$wards for so many years since he was the senior senator that we would be far ahead of the curve than we are now if he were not in office. Knowing where he stood means nothing.

He was good at whistling dixie, I guess

Actually, yes I am 100% totally sure. I'm a student of politics, and have studied in grad school and worked in Washington, DC. I can tell you that even the most liberal people in DC respected Helms. Not his policies, but as a fellow politician. And believe me, I was surrounded by liberals every single day up there. Whenever any talk of how a politician should interact with their constituents was mentioned, Jesse Helms name was always mentioned first.

Much of the partisan BS you see is just for show. It's something I came away with very sad about. DC is full of more actors than Hollywood. We see the soundbites and mud slung around on camera, and then afterwards the politicians are all buddies.

People outside of DC politics would agree with what you said. But those who were up there in the political arena when he was in office would tell you exactly what I said.

Actually, yes I am 100% totally sure. I'm a student of politics, and have studied in grad school and worked in Washington, DC. I can tell you that even the most liberal people in DC respected Helms. Not his policies, but as a fellow politician. And believe me, I was surrounded by liberals every single day up there. Whenever any talk of how a politician should interact with their constituents was mentioned, Jesse Helms name was always mentioned first.

Much of the partisan BS you see is just for show. It's something I came away with very sad about. DC is full of more actors than Hollywood. We see the soundbites and mud slung around on camera, and then afterwards the politicians are all buddies.

People outside of DC politics would agree with what you said. But those who were up there in the political arena when he was in office would tell you exactly what I said.

I respect that Pirate but when were you up there? Late 90's ? Go back to the early to mid 80s when Helms ruled the committees along with when the 2 sides of congress and the executive branch was ruled by the same party (not good no matter what side you support). If it was in the late 90s and early century, I can see why you say that. I am little older than you and even remember his WRAL commentaries. No telling how many companies and people and jobs would not move here because he was the face of NC on TV. Have to look at the full history and not just the last feeble years.

The Dixiecrats of 1948 and through 1970s put the south back years. He fell much into that category trying to push old southern ways.

that said, he could get things done within his office for requests (passports, visas, etc) and that is good but the rest, I just don't buy it.. Again, I am no liberal and went to one of the most conservative MBA schools in the country and I consider myself a classically trained conservative and was alive and aware during much of his rein.

I'm a reluctant liberal, guess I'd be better classified as a liberatarian. Anyway, it was Jesse Helms who pushed to get cleanup funds for Umstead State Park following Hurricane Fran in 1996.