The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
TSA

Worst pet peeve?

Hmmm. I was thinking about this thread when I was driving today.

When someone cuts off a student driver when they were only 50 feet from the turn and cause the student to slam on the brakes.

I was also driving on Edwards Mill towards the RBC and I was going 50 mph in a 45 mph zone. I was tempted to turn into the parking lot, but I knew I would get in a lot of trouble.

1. bad grammar

2. slamming doors or letting them slam

3. the entire city of anaheim and every sports organization therein (the mighty ducks of anaheim, the los angeles angels of anaheim...)

People that congregate at the top of an escalator. <_<

"Man, there's not a year goes by, not one year, that I don't here about some escalator accident involving some b****** kid that could have easily been avoided if some parent, I don't care which one, but some parent conditioned him to fear and respect that escalator!"~Brodie

3. the entire city of anaheim and every sports organization therein (the mighty ducks of anaheim, the los angeles angels of anaheim...)

Went to the Duck Pond a lot in the '90's -- we called it the Library -- because it was soo quite...

People who have so many relatively minor things (in the bigger picture) that Peeve them. There are too many really big, life changing items that are more valid.

For example:

People who are intolerant of others differences.

People who stress about the little things and because of this ruin others "happy mood"

Myself for exhibiting the same behaviours that Peeve me in others.(Including the 2 above)

CC

People who wear sunglasses indoors.

-------------- drive up on my bumper like im in their way. ( i slow down to really make em mad)

-------------- cut in front of me while driving...just to slow down and turn.

People who walk out of the movie theater only to stop in front of the door and prevent anyone else from getting out of the theater and into the lobby.

People who pass me illegally because they are in such a hurry. Although, I have to admit that when I get up to the next stoplight, it is funny to see them sitting there. So glad you got to the light so quickly!

Agreed with some of you earlier about people's driving tactics. Honestly, putting your turn signal on takes a flick of the wrist. If you aren't too lazy to flick your other wrist for windshield wipers, then why be too lazy to use your turn signal?

Oh, and spelling errors bug the heck out of me.

Ichigo:

add to that "to and too" and "their and there and they're"

Also people who don't know what a paragraph or a period is. Expect me to read a wall of text with no periods and paragraphs? I think not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Indeed, Ichi. My high school teachers and my profs from CSU Fullerton -- not an Ivy League school, but a pretty decent one nonetheless -- emphasized the value of accurate, precise writing that's technically and grammatically sound.

Here are two peeves of mine that've proven to be lethal many times over: drivers who 1) run red lights and 2) get into road races with their friends on side streets. It's hard for me to recall how many drivers in southern California -- many of them young, sadly :( -- who died instantly the second they made a wrong move during their 100-mph road "races," and impossible to know how many family members and friends are still mourning losing loved ones to a crash.

Jan/GSBG

People that talk trash on Xbox Live or computer but would never say it to your face.

Let's extend that, JWillie, to people talking trash online in general who'd never dream of saying the same to others in offline ("real") life. That's something I've never done in my eight years online, and will never do the rest of my life.

Jan/GSBG

icon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gificon8.gif

My worst:

People that talk on cell phones or use blue tooth in public places.

1) BLUETOOTH

that bugs me. they have it clipped over their ear and so you're in the elevator and they walk in and start talking... so you think they're talking to you and you talk back...

People who chew gum with their oths open.. You're not cattle, folks!

2) Smack, smack smack. Just like cows chewing cud, ain't it Dog?

Biggest pet peeves:

4. Election years. Blah, blah, blah, same old *edit*.

3) Yes, having to listen to my parents and their friend. "I'm voting for ________. I hate _______. ______ will be president, ruin our country Blah Blah BLAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

4) The old people that can't see over the steering wheel so they go 2 miles per hour and over the line and off the road... ridiculous!!!!!

5) Men that think we're back in the 1700s and 1800s so they are the dominant gender. Trust me, playing sports and beating them and teaching them who really can do anything they can do better. :P:P Too bad it's just the way the world is. :rolleyes:

6) People that do things even when you tell them to stop. Man it irks my nerves something bad.

7) Duke, NY Yankees, Patriots, FL Panthers, Sabres, Red Wings, TB Rays

8) Most importantly, people that bash my favorite teams STRAIGHT UP TO MY FACE. Like I have a friend that is a big Sabre fan... trash talks the Hurricanes until her voice is G-O-N-E.

I know some people are really gonna hate me for some of those, especially number 7. :P

But hey, blame TSA because I didn't start the thread. :P:P:lol::lol:

As a convenience store employee, I can't stand it when people come to the counter talking on their cell phones. I'm showing you respect by giving you my undivided attention. Can't you do the same for me for the 60 seconds it takes me to ring you up?

Yes! One of the many joys of working in retail. some of my least favorite things about working at Michaels:

-People who come in and complain that we don't take multiple coupons, and say no one ever told them this. Once I point out to them that it blatantly says "one per customer per day" they start going on about how Joann Fabrics allows them to do this, and threaten that they will only go there from now on, to which I want to reply "So go, I don't care, it's right down the street, do you really think this has any bearing on my life? I'm stocking shelves!" These are also the people who complain that we don't take expired ones - well why do you think they put those dates there? For decoration?

-The people that come in with their children and don't watch or know how to control them

-The people who wait until the get to the register to decide what they want, and go through everything as they place it on the counter

1. stupid people

2. people who pull out in front of me and then don't go the same speed. GRRR!, people who drive side by side and won't let anyone pass them. I

could go on and on about this subject.

3. People who think they know everything when in fact they don't know a darn thing. (especially people who try to tell you how to raise your

children and don't even have them.)

4. TROLLS

5. Not having hockey all year long. I know our boy's need a break, but does it have to be sooo loooooong?

6. trying to remember all my pet peeves to put them on my list. haha

I totally said that in spite of you Nick, but it's true.

But hey, at least you can agree with SOME of that.

Yes.. Especially the Sabres, FL Panthers, and Patriots.. <-- (Sorry TSA, you guys beat my chargers..)

Come to think of it, I'll add these two, especially because they're near the top of my pet-peeve list:

1) Individuals who think they're invincible and will live forever. (I never once felt that way, not even in elementary school, junior high, or high school.)

2) Long-time girlfriends who pretty much forget about you -- that means losing all touch with you -- the moment they begin to date guys they like. This has happened for decades, I know, but it still feels rotten when get dumped by the friends you've helped and consoled through their own personal crises. Just sayin'. <_<

4) The old people that can't see over the steering wheel so they go 2 miles per hour and over the line and off the road... ridiculous!!!!!

Funny you should say that, Wesley: Later this afternoon, I'll need to take my own parents, now 84, to the supermarket. (Dad lost his license six years ago, when he was found at fault in a moderate traffic accident.) As a result, I now drive 12 miles from Placentia to La Habra, my folks' home town, to take them grocery shopping twice a week. My only sibling, a younger brother, moved from southern California to Denver -- a job transfer -- so he's no longer able to help them out on errands. What keeps me from getting upset about old drivers is that in less than two decades, I'll be considered old myself.

Sorry to ramble, folks, but that's why I haven't been around on the boards in a long while: I'm now my parents' official caregiver. It's a large job, one that usually goes to people in 60s or so -- but if I can't help them, who will?

Jan/GSBG

Come to think of it, I'll add these two, especially because they're near the top of my pet-peeve list:

1) Individuals who think they're invincible and will live forever. (I never once felt that way, not even in elementary school, junior high, or high school.)

2) Long-time girlfriends who pretty much forget about you -- that means losing all touch with you -- the moment they begin to date guys they like. This has happened for decades, I know, but it still feels rotten when get dumped by the friends you've helped and consoled through their own personal crises. Just sayin'. <_<

Funny you should say that, Wesley: Later this afternoon, I'll need to take my own parents, now 84, to the supermarket. (Dad lost his license six years ago, when he was found at fault in a moderate traffic accident.) As a result, I now drive 12 miles from Placentia to La Habra, my folks' home town, to take them grocery shopping twice a week. My only sibling, a younger brother, moved from southern California to Denver -- a job transfer -- so he's no longer able to help them out on errands. What keeps me from getting upset about old drivers is that in less than two decades, I'll be considered old myself.

Sorry to ramble, folks, but that's why I haven't been around on the boards in a long while: I'm now my parents' official caregiver. It's a large job, one that usually goes to people in 60s or so -- but if I can't help them, who will?

Jan/GSBG

I totally agree with #2 and it seems to go on and on from generation to generation. I'm so glad that my daughter values her girlfriends and has always put them first. maybe that's why she's had the same friends since she was in kindergarten.

Don't agree with the elder drivers because I've been put in a position several times where I've had to slam on brakes or swerve because some old person is driving this huge vehicle and they're all over the road. I know they feel like they're just giving up when they turn in their license but when it comes to safety I hope we're all willing to make that decision when the time comes. I understand your position since I'm an only child other than half-siblings from my father's side.

Yes! One of the many joys of working in retail. some of my least favorite things about working at Michaels:

-People who come in and complain that we don't take multiple coupons, and say no one ever told them this. Once I point out to them that it blatantly says "one per customer per day" they start going on about how Joann Fabrics allows them to do this, and threaten that they will only go there from now on, to which I want to reply "So go, I don't care, it's right down the street, do you really think this has any bearing on my life? I'm stocking shelves!" These are also the people who complain that we don't take expired ones - well why do you think they put those dates there? For decoration?

reminds me, I was in k-mart a few months ago and saw someone arguing with a cashier about a coupon for 10 cents of a pack off toilet paper, apparently she had like three of the coupons and assumed that there were good per package... I think the cashier gave up, and decided it wasn't worth agruing over 10 cents worth of toilet paper.

Id like to add a new section containing dining in public and treating your servers and waitresses as I had spent the better part of five years of my youth in that industry:

1) If you get your food on time, and receive a considerate amount of attention, tip your server, and not a crummy 10% its insulting to the efforts it takes to put up with you.

More of advice then peeves but good to know info if you don't already:

2) Pay attention to the details, if you ask them about a dish or a sauce or wine and they can answer it, that means they care and are knowledgeable. if you ask your dentist what he is doing, and he says, ahh let me go check, he doesn't know what he is doing, more or less the same thing, just with food. That's worth going from a 15% tip to a 18-20% tip.

3) complaining - generally speaking, people who complain, will always complain, and servers figure out these types early on and are generally not worth the effort and stress. So if you find yourself not getting good service all the time, its you not them.

4) If you complain about the way your food is cooked, don't ever, ever, EVER take more then one or two bites, you don't want to know what they did to it.

I totally agree with #2 and it seems to go on and on from generation to generation. I'm so glad that my daughter values her girlfriends and has always put them first.

Well, cole, I too value my friends a great deal, like your daughter. My wish is that they reciprocated that loyalty.

Don't agree with the elder drivers because I've been put in a position several times where I've had to slam on brakes or swerve because some old person is driving this huge vehicle and they're all over the road. I know they feel like they're just giving up when they turn in their license but when it comes to safety I hope we're all willing to make that decision when the time comes. I understand your position since I'm an only child other than half-siblings from my father's side.

Thirty years ago, when Dad was in his fifties, he had nothing good to say about seniors behind the wheel, most especially those who couldn't budge their speedometers past 35 mph. Now that he's been denied his license, he misses that freedom. It's one thing, quite apparently, to feel anger toward older drivers when you're younger and able bodied, and something radically different to age and, consequently, become the very individual you once viewed with such vitriol.

Contending with this issue is extremely humbling -- I'm almost 47 and will reach traditional retirement age less than 20 years from now. For the next two to three decades, however, I'll continue to drive as wisely and intelligently as possible ... until I turn in my license, once and for all.

Peeve #4: Finding a large splash of dried coffee on the exterior of your car -- some jerk apparently didn't bother to his/her drink in the trash. :angry:

Jan/GSBG