The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
Ref107

Weird Comments/Actions by coaches

Not in hockey cause I don't go to hockey games, but I hear about Coaches getting in scuffles with opposing team's parents in the GTA area, or have read about it in newspapers in the past. As we both now, its a crazy city when it comes to hockey, even in house league there are complaints to refs.

I was a bit shocked when I went to watch the kid I'm mentoring play soccer (grade fives), the coach was so intent on his team following a strategy during the game, which i found ridiculous cause its a houseleague game for 11 year olds. the parents some aren't much better, shouting at their kids to get their heads in the game, honestly you'd think the parents are reacting to a pro game they paid tickets for. It irks me a psychology major that coaches and parents are more competitive than the kids, house league is for fun. If the kid or coach wants to be more competitive get involved with rep team or something.

i also remember as a kid, a 15 year old was reffing our game, and the coach of the opposing team was on his butt the whole game about blown calls (not blown calls that were dnagerous, maybe a missed handball or offside, etc). The kid got so frustrated at the coach and in the first and only time I've ever seen this in a sports league, the ref disqualified the other team in the 2nd half with the game tied due to verbal abuse by the coach. 11 years later this game is still etched in my memory and kept me from reffing any sport, coache sin kids leagues are crazy at times, you'd think their job was on the line or something.

Not in hockey cause I don't go to hockey games, but I hear about Coaches getting in scuffles with opposing team's parents in the GTA area, or have read about it in newspapers in the past. As we both now, its a crazy city when it comes to hockey, even in house league there are complaints to refs.

I was a bit shocked when I went to watch the kid I'm mentoring play soccer (grade fives), the coach was so intent on his team following a strategy during the game, which i found ridiculous cause its a houseleague game for 11 year olds. the parents some aren't much better, shouting at their kids to get their heads in the game, honestly you'd think the parents are reacting to a pro game they paid tickets for. It irks me a psychology major that coaches and parents are more competitive than the kids, house league is for fun. If the kid or coach wants to be more competitive get involved with rep team or something.

i also remember as a kid, a 15 year old was reffing our game, and the coach of the opposing team was on his butt the whole game about blown calls (not blown calls that were dnagerous, maybe a missed handball or offside, etc). The kid got so frustrated at the coach and in the first and only time I've ever seen this in a sports league, the ref disqualified the other team in the 2nd half with the game tied due to verbal abuse by the coach. 11 years later this game is still etched in my memory and kept me from reffing any sport, coache sin kids leagues are crazy at times, you'd think their job was on the line or something.

The house leauges are crazy at times. I nearly suspended a house league game after tossing 2 of the 3 coaches in a span of 1 minute and then nearly the convenor. You story reminded me of another comment from just 3 weeks ago.

Lining a game that had just finished the losing teams coach calls me over and tells me he wants me to pass along a message to the referee. I asked what that message was and he said that the referee has to get behind the net on close plays at the net. I informed him that Hockey Canada never ever allows us to be behind the net in any case or senario to which he told me "they do it in the NHL". That's wonderful, we are the GTHL not the NHL. I realize that two of the four letters are the same and we have almost identical logs but we still aren't the nhl. :P

During State Wars up in Chicago, IL Last year when i was playing for the NC 92's Team there was this incident..

1. My team Dumps the Puck inside Wisconsin's End, I skate down and i see these 2 WI Players getting ready to either hit me or get the puck and skate away..

2. I let them get the puck first and then the Puck carrier got in my way and I hit him Shoulder to Shoulder, I grab the puck and pass it back to the point..

3. All of the sudden i hear the Whistle been blown, so I turned around and i see the WI player on the Ice with his hand on his stomach..

4. I asked my teammates what happened they say they didn't know.. One of the WI players comes up to me to try to scrap but then when that starts everybody gets in, but the Refs intervened and separated everybody, then the WI Coach Started Screaming: What the (bad word) Is your problem!, I didn't respond.. both of the WI coaches started going at it, Ref's warned them etc.. etc.. I guess to make them shut up they issued me a 4 minute Penalty..

5. Thing is.. when i hit him his stick got in the way against his Lower body and I guess hurt him really bad.. <_< ??

Thats what I'm guessing..

But it was pretty hectic after that.. everytime i was on the ice they tried to hit me whenever they had the chance..

I didn't mean to do it, Refs told me it was a Clean hit, but bad misfortune for him..

:ph34r:

I once heard that Jim Valvano said to a ref "Can you give me a technical for what I'm thinking?" The ref said "No" to which Valvano replied "I think you suck."

I don't know if the story is true but it sure fit his personality.