The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Like Roger Clemens or Julio Franco, MLB threads will just keep going and going.

Wonder if Marcus would have been as quick to shut us down if the Blue Jays were in 1st place <_<

Ok, since that's a highly unlikely scenario...here's the first discussion question for our new and (un)improved MLB thread:

Which contending teams will make moves by the deadline?

The only move I see Theo making is picking up a utility type player for Willie Blow..um.. I mean Mo. Will he consider moving someone out of our bullpen?

The Yanks need more pitching and possibly could be in the running for Texeira (sp) but mostly I've heard the Braves are 1st in line for him.

Wonder if Marcus would have been as quick to shut us down if the Blue Jays were in 1st place <_<

Ok, since that's a highly unlikely scenario...here's the first discussion question for our new and (un)improved MLB thread:

The only move I see Theo making is picking up a utility type player for Willie Blow..um.. I mean Mo. Will he consider moving someone out of our bullpen?

The Yanks need more pitching and possibly could be in the running for Texeira (sp) but mostly I've heard the Braves are 1st in line for him.

If the Blue Jays were in first place, I doubt I'd even know about it. Only time I've ever watched a full base ball game was when I had tickets to go to the game, and it simply doesn't compare to hockey.

If the Blue Jays were in first place, I doubt I'd even know about it. Only time I've ever watched a full base ball game was when I had tickets to go to the game, and it simply doesn't compare to hockey.

Especially not in Toronto ;) .

Especially not in Toronto ;) .

I don't see the Yanks getting Teixeira. Rangers are asking for too much. Phil Hughes or Joba Chamberlain, both of which being praised as the Yankees "future" starting lineup. I've heard of possibly getting Jeff Conine, Octavio Dotel (which we already had him once, why go after him again? Do they think he'll find his groove again in NY??, No way) and Al Reyes, Tampas "closer" .

Sox... need a utility man? Like Mark DeRosa or so huh? Internet connection is acting funny, so I don't know for sure how long I can check on these things.

Well, I feel like contributing to this topic, but I know nothing of MLB. I know of the Mudcats, which are a minor league affliate for the Marlins.

So....I guess I'll ask how the Marlins are doing.

Well, I feel like contributing to this topic, but I know nothing of MLB. I know of the Mudcats, which are a minor league affliate for the Marlins.

Marlins are 11.5 games back in the NL East. Not looking so good. Then again, thats whats said about the Yankees alot as well. lol ;)

I guess my own question is who will replace Mariano Rivera? He's losing his touch. If he stays with the Yankees after this season, I think he could split time as setup man and closer, until someone can officially take over the closer spot. Interesting to see, regardless if the Yanks make the season, win the whole thing, or don't even go, of who's staying and going.

I guess my own question is who will replace Mariano Rivera? He's losing his touch. If he stays with the Yankees after this season, I think he could split time as setup man and closer, until someone can officially take over the closer spot. Interesting to see, regardless if the Yanks make the season, win the whole thing, or don't even go, of who's staying and going.

Could one of their starter prospects move to closer, a la Papelbon?

This is one thing I and probably a lot of fans around the league have been thinking about for years: the Yankees will be so screwed whenever Rivera calls it quits and they're left with an ordinary closer. They'll probably find someone else who's good, but they'll never another who's just nails like he is.

anybody see the royals game today? 10-0 KC i am impressed even though they werent playing a great team (rangers i think) and they arent great themselves

also kinda off topic but wow that old thread was old! it started on Dec 6 2006 which was before i was even a member! also kind of surprising considering it wasnt even baseball season yet then

You only have to fear Kazmir and Shields in our line up for pitching. The other 3 are typical devil rays pitchers. Hope the new guy Price holds up to being as good as the scouts said he was!

Glad to have you join us. I love taking the family to the Mudcats games. Reasonable price for a family outing.

Glad to have you join us. I love taking the family to the Mudcats games. Reasonable price for a family outing.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the deal is finally done, pending a review of medical records. The Braves will receive Mark Teixeira and lefty reliever Ron Mahay, while the Rangers will get Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, and two pitching prospects.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846

Can't believe they gave up Salty.

According to Ken Rosenthal, the deal is finally done, pending a review of medical records. The Braves will receive Mark Teixeira and lefty reliever Ron Mahay, while the Rangers will get Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Elvis Andrus, and two pitching prospects.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846''>http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846' target="_blank">http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846[/post]

Boy am I glad your Yankees didnt get him...whew!

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846''>http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846' target="_blank">http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846[/post]

Could one of their starter prospects move to closer, a la Papelbon?

This is one thing I and probably a lot of fans around the league have been thinking about for years: the Yankees will be so screwed whenever Rivera calls it quits and they're left with an ordinary closer. They'll probably find someone else who's good, but they'll never another who's just nails like he is.

They did. He was Mariano Rivera ;) . But oneo f their "star" starters Joba Chamberlain is doing relief work now, and will probably be called up before August 31st. Given the right training with Mo, he could possibly be our next closer. He's young, so he'd probably work his way up (relief, setup, closer). But if Mo leaves before hand, there are some options to get a good closer, but no one like Mo. That cutter always had people looking like fools.

And, I wish the Mets had traded Kazzy to the Yanks. Yanks didn't wanna give up somebody, can't remember who, but they ended up trading him anyway later on. Fools.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7074846

Or your Sox :D . You know how it is. We want somebody, you want him just to make sure we don't get him. You want somebody, we want him just to make sure you don't get him. I just hope the Sox don't get Dye. Thats a big bat.

Or your Sox :D . You know how it is. We want somebody, you want him just to make sure we don't get him. You want somebody, we want him just to make sure you don't get him. I just hope the Sox don't get Dye. Thats a big bat.

That was almost the way the whole Dice-K thing went, right? Oh man I would love to get Dye!!!! The only real issue the Sox have IMO (but its a big one) is that a good pitcher can really shut the offense down (See Kazmir). That needs to be fixed and Dye would certainly help that out.

That was almost the way the whole Dice-K thing went, right? Oh man I would love to get Dye!!!! The only real issue the Sox have IMO (but its a big one) is that a good pitcher can really shut the offense down (See Kazmir). That needs to be fixed and Dye would certainly help that out.

ChiSox were supposedly/probably asking for Ellsbury and the other prospect I can't think of. I wouldn't mind getting Dye for Abreu. Ozzie loves Bobby (both Venezuelan), and Dye makes 6.75 million, compared to Abreu's 15.5 million this season. Despite being half way through the year, that will still be a big chunk of change we'll save.