The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Yay Devil rays! Yay Baltimore; 3 runs in the 10th so that means the Rays didn't hurt the BoSox :)

Fortunately for us Sox fans, Rivera came up empty again and gets the loss. Who would have thought the O's would win both the Sox and the Yank's series?

Will Papi ever get his mojo back *sigh*?

Still 5 games up....and hanging on.

Yay Devil rays! Yay Baltimore; 3 runs in the 10th so that means the Rays didn't hurt the BoSox :)

Fortunately for us Sox fans, Rivera came up empty again and gets the loss. Who would have thought the O's would win both the Sox and the Yank's series?

I hope Papi wakes up, but I think he is hurt

where is Gip? when the Yanks lose he is nowhere to be found

at least we all show up when our team loses and not hide and only come out in wins :rolleyes:

my Dodgers are putrid, am I hiding,,,,,,no

... my Dodgers are putrid, am I hiding,,,,,,no

Look on the bright side, medford: At least the Blue can't touch this for sheer awfulness!

TampaBay_DevilRays.png

:P

Jan/GSBG

HEY! That was a low blow! You know the Rays just have been unlucky! :lol::P

Still counting on the Wild Card for my team. I was surprised we made it to 4 games back at one point. I'll be surprised if we take the division. Shelley Duncan though, whew.. that kid has been impressing. If we don't get to the series, we need to make sure we have our youth playing next season. Hughes, Joba, Shelley, Wang, Cano, Cabrera... their the new 96 Yankees of Jeter, Posada, Bernie, Mo...

It's weird. We're in the midst of trying to gain ground into the series, and I'm excited/curious about Joba being our new closer, where to fit Shelley, etc.. for next season. LOL

Still counting on the Wild Card for my team. I was surprised we made it to 4 games back at one point. I'll be surprised if we take the division. Shelley Duncan though, whew.. that kid has been impressing. If we don't get to the series, we need to make sure we have our youth playing next season. Hughes, Joba, Shelley, Wang, Cano, Cabrera... their the new 96 Yankees of Jeter, Posada, Bernie, Mo...

It's weird. We're in the midst of trying to gain ground into the series, and I'm excited/curious about Joba being our new closer, where to fit Shelley, etc.. for next season. LOL

I agree with you, the youth on the Yanks look pretty good. I have a feeling that if the Yanks end up missing or get knocked out of the playoffs early, this will be the only year. Cashman will make sure to adress all the pitching issues in the off season and all the young players will become the new Yankees.

The Red Sox will looking for some fresh bats next season. Papi has definately lost a step and JDDrew and Lugo haven't exactly put up numbers that were expected. I cant even imagine where we'd be if Manny, Papi, Lugo and Drew were hitting up to potential. Theo seems to do a good job replenishing every year its just too bad they don't always perform as planned.

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!

I agree with you, the youth on the Yanks look pretty good. I have a feeling that if the Yanks end up missing or get knocked out of the playoffs early, this will be the only year. Cashman will make sure to adress all the pitching issues in the off season and all the young players will become the new Yankees.

The Red Sox will looking for some fresh bats next season. Papi has definately lost a step and JDDrew and Lugo haven't exactly put up numbers that were expected. I cant even imagine where we'd be if Manny, Papi, Lugo and Drew were hitting up to potential. Theo seems to do a good job replenishing every year its just too bad they don't always perform as planned.

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!

Oh yeah, Happy Birthday!

I think Papi is hurt IMHO

JD Drew just plain sucks. The could have kept Nixon for a lot less over that stiff

the numbers are kinda similar and the cash is not.

Lugo cant play under pressure. In LA last year he was a bum as well.

Manny does not want to be here IMHO

sorry for the vent but this is how i feel

I really think the Yanks are going to make some noise and make the playoffs for you Caniac

at least you dont hide when your team loses like some other fan I know :rolleyes:

JD Drew just plain sucks. The could have kept Nixon for a lot less over that stiff

Aww, medford, you're shocking me. I thought that Red Sox Nation would just adore J.D.'s big heart and all-out effort! :lol::P

Jan/GSBG

Aww, medford, you're shocking me. I thought that Red Sox Nation would just adore J.D.'s big heart and all-out effort! :lol::P

Jan/GSBG

The sarcasm is overflowing :rolleyes:, LOL . In JD's defense, his son has been in the hospital for surgery. But man, we relly need his bat right now!!!!

Jan/GSBG

The sarcasm is overflowing :rolleyes:, LOL . In JD's defense, his son has been in the hospital for surgery. But man, we relly need his bat right now!!!!

You know, Steve Phillips from ESPN said 3 nights ago that the Yankees bats are going to cool off sooner or later, and it will be up to the pitching to carry the Yankees. He then proceeded to say the Yanks pitching wont pick up where the bats left off, and that we'll still be behind games regardless, and lucky if we make the wild card. Ever since then, our pitchings stunk. Thanks Phillips.

Thank You on the B-day btw TSA. ;)

You know, Steve Phillips from ESPN said 3 nights ago that the Yankees bats are going to cool off sooner or later, and it will be up to the pitching to carry the Yankees. He then proceeded to say the Yanks pitching wont pick up where the bats left off, and that we'll still be behind games regardless, and lucky if we make the wild card. Ever since then, our pitchings stunk. Thanks Phillips.

Yankees also have a pretty tough schedule finishing up the month with the Red Sox. That's what I'm hangng onto anyway :huh: , LOL.

Johnny Damon has really fallen out of favor with Torre, first he gets replaced by Cabrerra in center and now, Shelley Duncan replaces him for DH?

Yankees also have a pretty tough schedule finishing up the month with the Red Sox. That's what I'm hangng onto anyway :huh: , LOL.

Johnny Damon has really fallen out of favor with Torre, first he gets replaced by Cabrerra in center and now, Shelley Duncan replaces him for DH?

I really do think Papi is hurt and honestly think that it would benefit the Red Sox if he went on the DL. If Papi goes on the DL then we get him healthy mid way through September, Ellsbury can come up and play left, Manny can DH.

I keep expecting JD Drew to step it up though. He was so good in the first month of the season and all through ST, then he's just bombed since. He's hit close to .400 in the last 10 games, but most of those are still singles. If he can just start finding that wall in LF, then eventually he's gonna start smacking some 2Bs and HRs, but I'm just not feeling it right now. He is getting better though, at least he's getting some form of hits...even if it is only singles. He's shown some heart and excitement this year, but I really do think that his son being sick and his struggles at the plate have really put him down a bit. I would feel better if we find out he's donating some of those 14 million dollars to charity, but whatever.

Lugo has actually been really really good lately. Since the AS Break he's been killing the ball, but because of struggles from Manny and Papi he hasn't been coming on home too much. I would still rather have Orlando Cabrera or Alex Gonzalez, but he has been much better lately.

I think that Manny is having such a subpar season because Ortiz and Drew haven't produced as much as they thought they would. With Ortiz hurting and Drew not playing very well Manny has been forced to swing at a lot of bad pitches to try and make something happen and it hasn't helped him much.

Anyway with Bucholtz pitching tomorrow then we should get a jolt of excitement and he's supposed to be top notch also. Then Ellsbury comes up for at least 2 games and then again for all of Sept.

Glad to see you join us in here. Very good assessment and I think you and Medford are probably right about Papi. The DL would be a good option cause keeping him in the lineup is really holding back the middle of the order. I completely agree that Manny has hit a pretty good stride but without the one/two punch of him and Papi, he's so much less effective. Papi looks like he's battling mental demons as well as physical ones so the only way to stop them is to rest him and give him a chance to heal.

Lugo has finally graduated from being the whipping boy for Red Sox Nation but Im afraid JDDrew is gonna have to get a few clutch hits before he gets to come out of the dog house.

Can't wait to see Bucholtz in action. Hopefully he re-ignites some mojo for the stretch run.

Side note: AGon's child has been been very ill also and he's missed chunks of the season. They were talking about putting him on bereavment leave, whatever that is. So I guess he wouldn't have been much better for us. I hope his child gets better soon.

Glad to see you join us in here. Very good assessment and I think you and Medford are probably right about Papi. The DL would be a good option cause keeping him in the lineup is really holding back the middle of the order. I completely agree that Manny has hit a pretty good stride but without the one/two punch of him and Papi, he's so much less effective. Papi looks like he's battling mental demons as well as physical ones so the only way to stop them is to rest him and give him a chance to heal.

Lugo has finally graduated from being the whipping boy for Red Sox Nation but Im afraid JDDrew is gonna have to get a few clutch hits before he gets to come out of the dog house.

Can't wait to see Bucholtz in action. Hopefully he re-ignites some mojo for the stretch run.

Side note: AGon's child has been been very ill also and he's missed chunks of the season. They were talking about putting him on bereavment leave, whatever that is. So I guess he wouldn't have been much better for us. I hope his child gets better soon.

Bye-Bye Willie Mo:

At 1:19, the team made an announcement, a trade presumably consummated before the game's first pitch. Wily Mo Pena, who cleared waivers, had been traded to the Washington Nationals with cash considerations for a player to be named later, thus ending the 25-year-old outfielder's short-lived career in Boston.

Clay Bucholtz did not disappoint and got his first major league win. Papi gets an HR, Manny gets bean-balled twice and the Sox are up six on the Yanks again. The bad news is Mirabelli is out indefinately with a calf injury....who the heck is gonna catch for Wakefield? :o

Because of the injury, the Sox call up Kevin Cash to back up Tek and can't bring up Ellsbury as planned this weekend. Drew, Crisp and Manny better stay healthy.

I'm off the the second game now, wonder who Beckett chooses for his victim in response to Lackey's bean ball.

Bye-Bye Willie Mo:

At 1:19, the team made an announcement, a trade presumably consummated before the game's first pitch. Wily Mo Pena, who cleared waivers, had been traded to the Washington Nationals with cash considerations for a player to be named later, thus ending the 25-year-old outfielder's short-lived career in Boston.

Clay Bucholtz did not disappoint and got his first major league win. Papi gets an HR, Manny gets bean-balled twice and the Sox are up six on the Yanks again. The bad news is Mirabelli is out indefinately with a calf injury....who the heck is gonna catch for Wakefield? :o

Because of the injury, the Sox call up Kevin Cash to back up Tek and can't bring up Ellsbury as planned this weekend. Drew, Crisp and Manny better stay healthy.

I'm off the the second game now, wonder who Beckett chooses for his victim in response to Lackey's bean ball.

Francona ejected with 1 out to go, and Gagne with the loss again for the Sox. I know his record says 3-1 but he's still essentially responsible for some loss. I imagine it wont take long for Gagne to find his groove. Regardless of how good you are, it still takes some time to adjust to a new club. Maybe some other issues are going on. Despite whatever problems he might have, Gagne does have good stuff. Even if it's notched down a bit, it's still there waiting to be unleashed. Kind of like the Yankees. ;) The monster Godzilla is in the mountain, sleeping but waiting to come out and destroy!! :) :) :D lol

Bucholtz's stuff is just straight filthy, JD Drew hit well too. Mirabelli is going on the DL, the Sox called up KEVIN CASH to catch Wakefield because he has experience catching a knuckle ball.

The second game: Beckett was great again, but again he got no run support. The Sox came back with a rally, but Gag-me gave it up again. They need to dump him on waivers or something. He's horrendous, we gave up Gabbard for him and he's blown 3 games for us so far. Okajima had been used for 2+ innings in a game before, so why not put Oki in for a second inning to close out the first game. Also why not put in Timlin (who's been great since the break) when Gagne had runners at the corners? Also Youkilis's 'strikeout' was ridiculous. That was absolute bull.

Oh well.....at least Gagne won't get in in a close game anytime soon.

Well, the longball is looking good for the Yankees the last two days. Giambi with a pair yesterday, Posada and Abreu have each hit one today, score is 3-2 NYY right now in the bottom of the 6th.

EDIT: 5-2 now. Clemens recorded his 1,000th Yankees K, and turned a 1-2-1 double play.