The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

That was great TSA. good for Hamilton :D I am so happy for him.

Now on our front. A nice article in the Boston Herald on Jonathan Papelbon

on saying Rivera should close the game in Yankee staduim for the AL.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...&position=0

NEW YORK - The question kept getting thrown the way of Jonathan Papelbon [stats]: Who was going to close out a potential American League win in tonight

That was really great to read and well said by Pap. Nice to see respect for the game comes first, the future is bright for MLB.

Edit: And this was the cover of the NYDaily News:

dailynews_0715.jpg

Despite Jonathan Papelbon's strong assertion that Mariano Rivera should be the American League's closer in the All-Star Game -- Pap told the Boston Globe that "Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it." -- the Daily News chose instead to focus on some comments the Red Sox closer made in his press conference earlier, like this one: "If I was managing the team, I would close. I'm not managing the team, so it don't matter."

I guess the NYDaily News doesnt like that the Sox and Rays seem to have a better and fresher rivalry than the Yankees/Sox this year.

That was really great to read and well said by Pap. Nice to see respect for the game comes first, the future is bright for MLB.

Edit: And this was the cover of the NYDaily News:

dailynews_0715.jpg

Despite Jonathan Papelbon's strong assertion that Mariano Rivera should be the American League's closer in the All-Star Game -- Pap told the Boston Globe that "Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it." -- the Daily News chose instead to focus on some comments the Red Sox closer made in his press conference earlier, like this one: "If I was managing the team, I would close. I'm not managing the team, so it don't matter."

I guess the NYDaily News doesnt like that the Sox and Rays seem to have a better and fresher rivalry than the Yankees/Sox this year.

lol anything to sell newspapers :lol:

the herald hits all the good points. the NY Daily news picks out one

quote to build it around

And from the more reputable New York Post:

The New York Post reports that "the Yankees and Mets are among at least nine teams monitoring the progress of Freddy Garcia as he intensifies his workouts to come back from shoulder surgery."

Garcia is a free agent, and along with both New York teams the newspaper also lists his suitors as the Astros, Rangers, Royals, Red Sox, Phillies, Tigers and White Sox. According to his agent, Garcia is throwing 84-87 mph and has avoided setbacks, but is only interested in signing a contract for this season rather than also giving teams an option for 2009.

1) MLB all-star game is the real deal...players enjoy it, fans love it, and it all makes sense. I don't get that from the NHL, or any other pro league.

Go Baseball.

2) Great inning by Nathan. Good double by Morneau. Awesome homer from Drew. TIE GAME!

Come on AL!!!

Still not quite sure how Cook got out of that jam, but hey, it's more baseball.

Though as much as I'm rooting for the NL, I really wanted to see Longoria win it... just as he had tied it.

Fabulous game! One advantage to being out in the Central Time Zone is the game ending at 12:36 instead of 1:36 am.

Wow - what a great game, truly ALL STAR, although the NL could have dumped those 4 errors. I could not believe that so many of the New Yorkers bailed on the game before it was over -wussies!

Cool that Drew won MVP. Really great game... great evening of entertainment and stellar athletics. These guys all showed why they were there in the first place. I could watch one of these every week. sigh.

How many weeks until the play offs start ?????

So long, Yankee stadium... at least, no more All Star games at this particular site.

Go, American League!

What a game!! That was easily the best AS Week in a long time. Great to see JD get the MVP to close out Yankee Stadium's AS Games with a Sox player, but I'm really disappointed in the NY fans. The booing and taunting of Paps was classless in my book. Sure, Yanks players would be booed at Fenway too, but the Sox fans wouldn't be rooting against Rivera if he was in a crucial inning with home field advantage at stake. Paps comments were completely taken out of context, it is awful it rose to the level that it did.

What a game!! That was easily the best AS Week in a long time. Great to see JD get the MVP to close out Yankee Stadium's AS Games with a Sox player, but I'm really disappointed in the NY fans. The booing and taunting of Paps was classless in my book. Sure, Yanks players would be booed at Fenway too, but the Sox fans wouldn't be rooting against Rivera if he was in a crucial inning with home field advantage at stake. Paps comments were completely taken out of context, it is awful it rose to the level that it did.

Man, Im tired. What a night for baseball and well worth staying up for (though I did fall asleep for a couple of innings lol). I dont think think the weekend could been have scripted any better and MLB is as strong as ever. The Yankees and MLB did a great job putting on the whole weekend's events and what a great way to say goodbye to Yankee Stadium.

Onto the fan there..... <_< . I'll keep my specific comments to myself but the fans there really showed their true character by leaving after Mariano came out of the game. I know people have to work and its a long train ride home but its the Allstar game, they paid $100's of dollars for tickets and the game was one of the best in Allstar history. Not to mention, the AL had been on the cusp of winning the thing multiple times, only to send it to another inning. Just some great baseball showcasing the present and the future of the league. Whatever....

I cant just not say anything about the treatment of Papelbon. Apparently, the NY Daily News has a lot of readers in NY :rolleyes: . I get the razzing and even some of the booing out of being long time rivals but when I read that Pap and his wife were verbally attacked in the parade, that's taking it too far. The fans were so preoccupied with their taunting during the game that they neglected to notice that ARod was taken out of the game from the field just so they could give him his ovation of appreciation...they missed it. They slammed Papelbon for giving up a run when it was unearned an neglected to acknowledge the bad throw by the catcher to throw out the runner that was allowed to advance. How bout Francona waiting for the perfect time to put Rivera in just so he could be the hero for all the fans and for history(who knew the game would go on forever). And JD Drew... the guy did everything to help secure the win and was a great choice for MVP. He still got booed and taunted by the remaining few fans left altough he did get some cheering when he hit the homerun to tie up the game.

All this said, I know the Yankees players would get plenty of booing in Fenway if the tables were turned but Id like to think that winning the game would end up a little more important in the end. Who knows...Im done know.

Its a good thing these guys still have a couple of days to rest because they have to be completely worn out from the whole thing. Im wondering if Kazmir will make his next start :huh: .

I found the email of the guy who wrote that article about Paps and sent him an email saying he should be embarrassed and that he really helped to ruin part of the AS Game. He wrote back this morning by saying that he was completely just in what he wrote and that Papelbon should be embarrassed for what he said. He did say some of the fans went overboard during the parade, but nothing about how classless some of them acted during the 8th. I really hope that this heightens the rivalry a little because we haven't seen too many sparks between these two in a while. I throughly expect Sox fans to really get on the Yanks now BIG TIME at Fenway.

If Papelbon wasn't such a drama queen, he wouldn't draw that kind of ire. Not saying it's right, I'm just sayin...

And of course the crowd left.... you think the "real fans" could afford THOSE seats last night? NYC is the mecca of the business world, and there was much schmoozing going at the ASG. The Yankees are the cool thing in New York, and the alleged fans that were there were awed by the pinstripes. No Yankees left in the game, of course they were gonna leave.

And my boy Longoria comes thru big in his first of what will be MANY, MANY All-Star Game appearances.

If Papelbon wasn't such a drama queen, he wouldn't draw that kind of ire. Not saying it's right, I'm just sayin...

And my boy Longoria comes thru big in his first of what will be MANY, MANY All-Star Game appearances.

Papelbon has a larger than life personality for sure but drama queen? There's a big difference between them. Manny is a drama queen, Papelbon may be cocky but he owns all his performances, good and bad.

I was rooting for Longoria myself. He seemed nervous in the HR derby and a bit in awe of the whole thing. I was really hoping he'd do something good in the game to leave on a good note. He is one of the true allstars we'll be seeing for years to come.

From the Globe:

NEW YORK - Jonathan Papelbon paid a steep price for daring to suggest he was a worthy choice to close last night's All-Star Game, even though he made it clear in a mass interview session Monday that he was prepared to defer to Mariano Rivera, then told the Globe, "Mariano Rivera will be closing the 2008 All-Star Game in Yankee Stadium. I'm making a statement right now, saying I don't want it, I want him to have it. I said all that earlier, but that's the way I feel about it."

The back page of yesterday's New York Daily News ran a full-page photo of Papelbon, accompanied by the headline "Papelbum." Then, during yesterday afternoon's red-carpet ride down the Avenue of the Americas, Papelbon was on the receiving end of some rough treatment from the crowd lining the boulevard. "Brutal," he said of the coverage. "They missed the point I was trying to make. What kind of closer would I be if I didn't want to close? But I said I was willing to step aside.

"The whole shebang was messed up. My wife was really upset. We got threats, everything. I wish I hadn't taken her."

All of the Sox were booed. "I learned two things," manager Terry Francona said of the parade. "They want Rivera to pitch, and I [stink]."

And here's a picture you wont see everyday:

539w.jpg

Also from the Globe:

NEW YORK - Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia offered a half-smile when someone asked him about the difference between the right side of the American League All-Star infield - Sox teammates Pedroia and Kevin Youkilis - and the left side - Yankees teammates Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez, the latter engulfed in a media crush at a hotel interview session yesterday afternoon.

"Um, pretty different, huh?" Pedroia said. "Me and Youk, we're just guys who want to win. They want to win, but they're superstars. Me and Youks, we're guys who grind it out. We're trying to do everything we can and give everything we can. We're talented, but we're definitely not as talented as the other two guys in the infield. So we have to do other things to make up for that."

Pedroia and Youkilis each are making their first All-Star appearance. A-Rod is a 12-time All-Star and drew more than 3.9 million votes to lead all players. Jeter is a nine-time All-Star and finished second in the voting among AL stars. Sox manager Terry Francona referenced the difference when noting that Jeter would be hitting second tonight, while Pedroia, who normally hits second for the Sox, will bat ninth. A-Rod will be batting cleanup, Youkilis seventh.

"For me, a Derek Jeter deserves to hit at the top of the order - in a place like this especially," Francona said. "This is Dustin's - in my opinion -not his last All-Star Game . . . same thing with Youks. So hitting a little bit lower, that's not so bad."

Sox closer Jonathan Papelbon said Pedroia will not be his swaggering self in the company of All-Stars.

"No chance he will be," Papelbon said. "He'll be a little church mice.

Well, all the Canadians partaking played a pretty big role in the HR Derby and the AS game, so I'm happy. :) Gotta feel for Uggla, 3 errors... sheesh. <_<

Yeah Uggla has his dad there too...they told a whole story about him growing up there or something. Gotta be tough for him.

Still though a great game. Baseball does it right.

I thought it was his grandfather? And he said he is from Schenectady which is up here right next to Albany.

I thought it was his grandfather? And he said he is from Schenectady which is up here right next to Albany.

Yeah you could be right, Max. I just knew their was a story to go along with him.