The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

For TSA and other Sox fans here. Sox look very strong down on the farm

IMHO why dont the Sox give one of these kids from Portland a chance to help the

bullpen. they certainly have the talent it seems. Maybe in September. I would say for sure

next season that Bard and Bowden will be up here unless they get hurt

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...sox#articleFull

The Red Sox [team stats] utilized the Major League, Triple-A and Double-A All-Star breaks to shuffle minor league personnel, promoting several top prospects following strong first halves to their seasons. Scouts say the organization is more stocked with talent than ever before, and it is not difficult to see why. Every level finds prospects who should be contributing at Fenway Park [map] in the near future.

Here is a look at each level

Wow, thanks for posting Med. I knew the farm was stocked but had no idea how much. The signed their draft pick Chris Kelly yesterday too. From everything Ive read, he could be fast tracked if they dont see him pitching. If so, they'll keep him down for a few years to teach him but apparently the kid can play multi positions which is what Theo loves.

Maybe Manny better be a little more humble when his numbers arent so high, there are plenty of kids chomping at the bit to get into this line up.

Wow, thanks for posting Med. I knew the farm was stocked but had no idea how much. The signed their draft pick Chris Kelly yesterday too. From everything Ive read, he could be fast tracked if they dont see him pitching. If so, they'll keep him down for a few years to teach him but apparently the kid can play multi positions which is what Theo loves.

Maybe Manny better be a little more humble when his numbers arent so high, there are plenty of kids chomping at the bit to get into this line up.

Just from a personal standpoint, I think Manny is gone after this year.

Him and John W. Henry are at a war of words.

That is fine with me. I would love for him to leave and then the Sox sign Matt Holiday. (specuation purely)

Just from a personal standpoint, I think Manny is gone after this year.

Him and John W. Henry are at a war of words.

That is fine with me. I would love for him to leave and then the Sox sign Matt Holiday. (specuation purely)

The way I see it, if Manny's $ is off the books, that would open up a ot of options and take away all the drama. I trust Theo, he knows when its time walk away from superstars at just the right time and I think Manny's time is coming. Boston has no shortage of $ and has no problem attracting top free agents.

I really do think that Manny wants to retire a Red Sox player but I think the circus that surrounds him has worn its welcome out, especially now that his numbers arent there consistently. Being his contract year, I think he's real frustrated that he's getting out hit by guys like Pedroia, Youk and Lowell.

That'd be pretty interesting (for lack of a better word) if we brought in a Wake-successor in a new knuckleballer.

I had always assumed Manny would be back, but he may have ticked off the wrong guy this time.

I've always liked Manny in the past, even with all his antics. This year though, he's just really gotten on my nerves. I don't know what it is, it's really just a combination of all his mess this year. The antics, giving away at bats, mouthing off to everyone, etc.

I've always liked Manny in the past, even with all his antics. This year though, he's just really gotten on my nerves. I don't know what it is, it's really just a combination of all his mess this year. The antics, giving away at bats, mouthing off to everyone, etc.

Bob Lobel of WEEI did some research and traced all of Manny's latest antics back to when he got in trouble for pushing the travel secretary. The Sox never released the info but he was actually fined six figures for it and was really put off by it. It was after the fine that Manny started being Manny again, in a not so good way. What a baby :rolleyes: .

Theo and Tito didnt look very amused with Manny last night.

What LA series............ <_<

The Dodgers over the D Backs :P JK

TSA, for me Nomar looks like the old hitter of past. I am happy with that.

The Sox need some middle relief in the worst way. I would bring up Bowden from AA. (there is a reference in the Herald today

that he could come up later on.)

Also I hope Masterson is effective and I think he will be. He is a Derek Lowe type pitcher. Good for him.

and the Sox will be fine. They most likely will beat the Mariners tonight for sure. Lester is on fire and I feel very confident of this game

Bob Lobel of WEEI did some research and traced all of Manny's latest antics back to when he got in trouble for pushing the travel secretary. The Sox never released the info but he was actually fined six figures for it and was really put off by it. It was after the fine that Manny started being Manny again, in a not so good way. What a baby :rolleyes: .

Theo and Tito didnt look very amused with Manny last night.

I want him gone and bring in Matt Holiday. I think it is a match made in heaven. IMO

I want him gone and bring in Matt Holiday. I think it is a match made in heaven. IMO

Im getting to that point myself.

Dirtdogs.com summed up the weekend in LA perfectly:

"Anaheimlich Maneuver"

and the Sox will be fine. They most likely will beat the Mariners tonight for sure. Lester is on fire and I feel very confident of this game

Not bad yes :P JK

and Varitek hit a dinger :) you KNOW the Sox win when that happens

Just glad for a win and to top it off

my Dodgers scored 18 runs. B) imagine if guys like Ortiz, Pedrioa, Manny or Lowell

played full time at Coors, they definatley would have some inflated stats that is for sure.

God bless the home pitchers for the Rockies, I pity them.

So Medford, do we get the sweep? We need it.

Form the Denver Post:

According to the Denver Post, the Rockies' asking price for Brian Fuentes has scared teams away.

The newspaper reports that the Rockies asked for Clay Buchholz from the Red Sox, Ian Kennedy from the Yankees, Jon Niese from the Mets and "Wade Hendrickson" from the Rays, although we'll assume that the latter is a misprint meant to be either Wade Davis or Jeremy Hellickson. While those four (or five) pitchers differ quite a bit in value, they're each a plenty steep price for two months of a reliever.

I bet the Yanks and the Sox drive up the bidding war and price each other out so neither will get him, lol.

I dont think the Red Sox need to do too much, they just need Oki to be the Oki of last year, Papi to come back strong, Bucholtz to get over his 1st inning melt downs and Manny to stop being Manny (sort of).

So Medford, do we get the sweep? We need it.

Form the Denver Post:

According to the Denver Post, the Rockies' asking price for Brian Fuentes has scared teams away.

The newspaper reports that the Rockies asked for Clay Buchholz from the Red Sox, Ian Kennedy from the Yankees, Jon Niese from the Mets and "Wade Hendrickson" from the Rays, although we'll assume that the latter is a misprint meant to be either Wade Davis or Jeremy Hellickson. While those four (or five) pitchers differ quite a bit in value, they're each a plenty steep price for two months of a reliever.

I bet the Yanks and the Sox drive up the bidding war and price each other out so neither will get him, lol.

I dont think the Red Sox need to do too much, they just need Oki to be the Oki of last year, Papi to come back strong, Bucholtz to get over his 1st inning melt downs and Manny to stop being Manny (sort of).

Agreed TSA.

also FYI for you, max, warbird and canesandbosox by Tony Maz a great writer for the Herald

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view.bg?&articleid=1108593&format=&page=1&listingType=sox#articleFull' target="_blank">http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...sox#articleFull[/post]

Jed Lowrie makes fans ask,

I love Tony Mazzorotti. He's a frequent guest of Charlie Steiner on XM175 MLB.

I hope Lowrie makes the best of it so we dont see Lugo again. Also, Masterson looks great as a set up guy.

There is hope...

Julio Lugo still plays in Boston :P

Hmmm....nope, but he still lives there. :D

You know, heading down the stretch he'd make a great pinch runner and hitter if needed.

Good win by the pen tonight. Got a little hairy for Hansen but he pulled it off. They really needed this sweep to keep pace with the Rays and of course, look who finally wants to join the race. As most of us have said, you can never count out the Yanks.

Masterson could finally be the missing link in the pen.

Yeah Masterson looked awsome out of the Pen tonight. If he continues to look like that out of the pen I say keep him there.

Good to see MannyD have a good showing. Feels good to get some wins up there in Seattle. I know they suck this year, but it always seems like bad *edit* happens to us when we go there.

The return of Big Papi.....finally!

BDD_mb-gotham-papi_7.25.08.jpg

Ortiz will bring punch to the party

Gordon Edes: Boston Globe

The most telling aspect of David Ortiz's absence from the Red Sox lineup is that by any meaningful measure, the team's offense did not lose any of its potency.

To a man, of course, the Sox are thrilled at the timing of the return of Ortiz, coming back after nearly two months away just in time to face the New York Yankees at a time of year that might not be quite "do or die," as Jonathan Papelbon called it, but nonetheless presages another stretch drive certain to involve both teams.

But the Sox, who actually picked up a game on Tampa Bay while Ortiz was recovering from a partially torn tendon sheath in his left wrist - they trailed by a game May 31 and now are in a virtual tie in the American League East, .001 behind - could not have done a better job of masking his missing bat.

Consider the numbers, before and after Ortiz's injury:

Batting average: .280 before; .279 after.

Runs per game: 5 before; a hair over 5 after.

Home runs per game: 1.05 before; 1.15 after.

On-base percentage: .353 before; .360 after.

Slugging percentage: .441 before; .450 after.

And the number that matters the most: The Sox were 34-24 with Ortiz, 26-19 without Big Papi.

"David coming back is great, and I hope Manny [Ram