The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

This will be an ultra competitive series this weekend, glad they have it on sportsnet....sad part is, TB will probably lose their series against KC, making the yanks and BoSox series even more interesting.

White Sox vs. Tigers is an important one too as detroit is grasping to get back in the race.

Interesting game. <_<

Quite the pitching match up, Joba won that duel but what's his problem with Youk? For a guy who's known for his exceptional ball control, how is it that he comes a hair short of hitting Youk in the head not once, not twice but now three times with a 95mph pitch?

I wont make a comment about the umping behind the plate but when Mike Lowell loses it and gets thrown out of the game......nuff said.

Smart idea to put Joba in the rotation for the Yanks, he looked good. Was that his longest outing so far?

In other news: Manny's MRI came out clear. :rolleyes:

Interesting game. <_<

Quite the pitching match up, Joba won that duel but what's his problem with Youk? For a guy who's known for his exceptional ball control, how is it that he comes a hair short of hitting Youk in the head not once, not twice but now three times with a 95mph pitch?

I wont make a comment about the umping behind the plate but when Mike Lowell loses it and gets thrown out of the game......nuff said.

Smart idea to put Joba in the rotation for the Yanks, he looked good. Was that his longest outing so far?

In other news: Manny's MRI came out clear. :rolleyes:

TSA IMHO Manny is gone from the Sox. I would drive him out myself with this *edit*.

Sign Matt Holiday or at least another slugger who wont be as eccentric as

Baby Manny.

On to better things. The Sox are usually good against LH pitching at Fenway.

I feel that the going to have a good game today and hopefully win vs the Yanks.

we shall see.

Now my Dodgers won one game in a row :P Nomar is still doing good

I love Nomar and am one of the few around here who dont bash him.

come on Gox Sox/Dodgers/Cubs :)

I really if I had my way would love to see the Cubs win it all on their 100 Anniverary

of their last championship.

If interested in my exchange with my class act uncle, who is a Cubs fan.

feel free to click on this link

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17402''>http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17402' target="_blank">http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17402[/post]

my name is Medford Bronco there ;)

I like your optimism Med but today, Steve Buckley sums up everything I think perfectly:

Latest episode means it

I say the Sox get their act together today TSA.

Last night is history. Sox will do their best today guaranteed.

I feel pretty confident like I did last week when Lester beat the Ms.

I say the Sox get their act together today TSA.

Last night is history. Sox will do their best today guaranteed.

I feel pretty confident like I did last week when Lester beat the Ms.

Lets hope you're right. :)

In Manny drama news:

"We have run into bumps in the road ever since I've been here. The result, two of the times, has been a World Series ring, so as a team, sometimes you fight through things. Sometimes you work through things. It's not always perfect, but how you get to the end is what counts, and that's what we're trying to do." -- 7.26.08, Terry Francona on Manny drama

This is going to look very bad for the Sox if they back down and Manny gets away with this garbage.

The big question.... what will Red Sox Nation do with this today at the game? Will he get booed or will all be forgiven if he hits a homerun?

I guess I wont quit my day job to pick games :(

Tomorrows game is huge. I just hope Lester can keep his

hot streak going. btw Hansen is an awful pitcher. His mechanics

are so putrid it is not even funny, He belongs in Pawtucket.

Hot damn what a way to come back from a vacation. Yanks beat Sox 1-0 and 10-3. Good times my friends, good times. I hope tomorrow can lead to another win for the Yanks.

The Ump Cousins or whoever SUCKED. Bad calls, imo, for both teams. Strike zone was small, then big, then small again...

Damaso Marte and X. Nady for Jose Tabata and other other prospects?? I dunno... Tabata was suppose to be out future prospect fielder. Supposedly to build the franchise around, yada yada yada... I think the Bucs got a great fielder, but lets see how it all unwinds.

Hot damn what a way to come back from a vacation. Yanks beat Sox 1-0 and 10-3. Good times my friends, good times. I hope tomorrow can lead to another win for the Yanks.

The Ump Cousins or whoever SUCKED. Bad calls, imo, for both teams. Strike zone was small, then big, then small again...

Damaso Marte and X. Nady for Jose Tabata and other other prospects?? I dunno... Tabata was suppose to be out future prospect fielder. Supposedly to build the franchise around, yada yada yada... I think the Bucs got a great fielder, but lets see how it all unwinds.

Well done by your boys C23. If you thought Cousins was bad, you should have seen Foster last night :rolleyes: .

I heard. Man.... oh yeah, good deal on Sexson for only 300k or so. Mariners pay for most of his salary. And I'm glad we have Molina. I was very excited to get a Molina brother. Things are actually looking promising. Here's hoping for the best.

So how badly do the Sox wnat to get rid of Manny, does no one care to pick up his expensive contract?

I remember a couple of years back there were rumors around trade deadline, but the guy definitely knows how to hit the ball, you think someone would take him, the numbers don't lie.

The Yanks deserved today's game no doubt, but holy *edit*, these last two umpires have been AWFUL. That aside though, I want Manny gone ASAP. I've loved him for his whole career in Boston, he had been one of my all-time favorite players, but this year he's really pissing me off. I've never disliked a player this much in my life. Can you ever imagine Lowell, Ortiz, Pedroia or even Drew taking a game off because they were tired against the Yanks during the pennant race?

Beckett is pitching lights out right now, but we just cannot get him any runs right now. Lester/Dice K are absolutely killing the opposition, Buchholz has been a HUGE disappointment and Wake has been about as solid as you can find lately. I'm hoping Colon can come back and take Clay's spot because it is clear he has ZERO confidence right now. The BP will be in much better shape when they realize how freaking awful Hansen is and they get someone in there who can throw some strikes.

The lineup is what worries me. Can Ortiz get back to his form? Will Drew continue to produce like he was? Will Ellsbury actually start to get on base? Will Coco/Lugo/Tek start to hit? And the big one, will Manny be traded, or will he have another miraculous change of heart, start to play, and get some base knocks?

....ugh....either Lester gets a win or maybe hockey season can't come any sooner.

So how badly do the Sox wnat to get rid of Manny, does no one care to pick up his expensive contract?

I remember a couple of years back there were rumors around trade deadline, but the guy definitely knows how to hit the ball, you think someone would take him, the numbers don't lie.

I think he's untradable. He has a no-trade and all rites of refusal. The only other teams out there that can afford to pick him up as a rental are the Yankees and maybe the Dodgers because he'd be coming with his $20 million a year option for the next two years.

He'll finish out the season in Boston IMO, but after that, there's a good chance we'll see him in either pinstripes or Dodger blue.

Yeah, this season I think Manny is going to stay with the Sox. In the past I think you can make a good argument that his decisions of when to have a mysterious injury have hurt the Sox, but I don't think I can remember this many times a season when Manny being in the lineup has actually been detrimental to the team. There has been a lot of games this season where he looks like he's just been mailing it in and not caring. I think you can tell when this season he hasn't requested a trade and a lot of Sox fans actually want him gone. He's said he's wanted out before and most of Red Sox Nation has cried for him to stay.

I would love to see Manny gone in the offseason, and someone like Holliday signed to bat in the middle of the lineup with Ortiz/Drew/Lowell. I wouldn't mind seeing Lugo dumped as well, but Theo would have to be an absolute genius to find a taker for him.

I think he's untradable. He has a no-trade and all rites of refusal. The only other teams out there that can afford to pick him up as a rental are the Yankees and maybe the Dodgers because he'd be coming with his $20 million a year option for the next two years.

He'll finish out the season in Boston IMO, but after that, there's a good chance we'll see him in either pinstripes or Dodger blue.

Wow go from one team I love to another and make me throw up in my mouth

in the process :unsure: lol

I want Matt Holiday for the Sox or Dodgers. Manny can go play for the Mariners

with no pressure so he can fake his injures with no one watching. What a loser

he is. I have put up with his garbage for so long. Boy am i sick of it. He is the antiteam player

When showing my kids on how to play the game, I certainly dont point to that clown.

I would say look at Dustin Pedrioa or Mike Lowell, the epitome of a team

hard nosed good ball player. Not that sad sack whom God happened to

give hitting ability to. Go to the NL for the Phillies or Mets. I would love

to see him act up there. The Philly fans would tear him apart..

***vent over*** Sox will do better tomorrow.

and yes C23 your team is playing awesome, congrats.

Medford, my son's idol is Pedroia and on the baseball field will try and imitate the way he plays and especially how he swings his bat. Like the Fox broadcasters said today, he may be 5'9' but he plays like he's 6'10'. My son can see that Pedroia plays with so much heart and always at 100%. Manny may be talented but even an 8 yr old can see through his antics.

Theo finally talks:

GM Theo Epstein told FOX broadcaster Tim McCarver before Saturday's game that the Red Sox will make an effort to deal Manny Ramirez if he waives his no-trade clause.

Does Manny really want out of Boston, where he's on a very good team with fans that adore him and management that has been willing to go out of its way to accomodate him? Or is he just being a drama queen? The Red Sox are leaving it to him to make the next move. If Manny truly wants a trade, then the Red Sox could try to get something done and maybe pick up Adam Dunn as a replacement. The Mets are the one team that would make real sense as a destination. Even if the Angels wanted him, the Red Sox probably wouldn't want to send him to a team they could well end up facing in October. Jul. 2

I guess we'll finally see what Manny really wants when a legitimate trade is staring him in the face. Theo doesnt usually blow smoke so Manny will have to make a decision whether or not he wants to be in Boston.

Medford, my son's idol is Pedroia and on the baseball field will try and imitate the way he plays and especially how he swings his bat. Like the Fox broadcasters said today, he may be 5'9' but he plays like he's 6'10'. My son can see that Pedroia plays with so much heart and always at 100%. Manny may be talented but even an 8 yr old can see through his antics.

Theo finally talks:

GM Theo Epstein told FOX broadcaster Tim McCarver before Saturday's game that the Red Sox will make an effort to deal Manny Ramirez if he waives his no-trade clause.

Does Manny really want out of Boston, where he's on a very good team with fans that adore him and management that has been willing to go out of its way to accomodate him? Or is he just being a drama queen? The Red Sox are leaving it to him to make the next move. If Manny truly wants a trade, then the Red Sox could try to get something done and maybe pick up Adam Dunn as a replacement. The Mets are the one team that would make real sense as a destination. Even if the Angels wanted him, the Red Sox probably wouldn't want to send him to a team they could well end up facing in October. Jul. 2

I guess we'll finally see what Manny really wants when a legitimate trade is staring him in the face. Theo doesnt usually blow smoke so Manny will have to make a decision whether or not he wants to be in Boston.

I would drive him to Logan. I live about 10 Minutes away. Please let it happen for the real fans

who are sick of this *edit*. Manny has outlived his time here. I would take Adam Dunn for the short term

just to cleanse the cancer that Manny is.

Nomar hit another dinger tonight and has done a very good job since the break

and a minor trade for Casey Blake to help the Dodgers anemic offense. I just

hope they slide into the playoffs. You never know right

didnt St Lous win only 83 games in 2006 and win it all? Not that I expect

anything out of this up and down team but would love to be suprised

and please Cubs stop sliding on me. I want them to compete for a WS

for the great fanbase they have.

Because my Padres are so egregious this year -- yep, they've got the worst record in the majors so far :( -- I just haven't had the heart to post much on this thread lately.

Maybe Jerry Coleman, the Pads' play-by-play guy on the radio since 1972, could start a grass-roots movement to un-retire Dave Winfield, Mike Ivie, and Nate Colbert, the club's top power guys of the '70s. Who knows? ^_^

Jan/GSBG

Because my Padres are so egregious this year -- yep, they've got the worst record in the majors so far :( -- I just haven't had the heart to post much on this thread lately.

Maybe Jerry Coleman, the Pads' play-by-play guy on the radio since 1972, could start a grass-roots movement to un-retire Dave Winfield, Mike Ivie, and Nate Colbert, the club's top power guys of the '70s. Who knows? ^_^

Jan/GSBG

You can trade Jake Peavy to the Dodgers or Sox if you like ;)

or that Gonzalez kid, boy is he good, heck i would even take Brian Giles for the

anemic Dodger offense.

btw it is great to see you Jan as well :)

TSA IMHO Manny is gone from the Sox. I would drive him out myself with this *edit*.

Sign Matt Holiday or at least another slugger who wont be as eccentric as

Baby Manny.

On to better things. The Sox are usually good against LH pitching at Fenway.

I feel that the going to have a good game today and hopefully win vs the Yanks.

we shall see.

Now my Dodgers won one game in a row :P Nomar is still doing good

I love Nomar and am one of the few around here who dont bash him.

come on Gox Sox/Dodgers/Cubs :)

I really if I had my way would love to see the Cubs win it all on their 100 Anniverary

of their last championship.

If interested in my exchange with my class act uncle, who is a Cubs fan.

feel free to click on this link

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17402''>http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17402' target="_blank">http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17402[/post]

my name is Medford Bronco there ;)

I love Manny Ramirez! He's in a slump and being a baby, true, but on his game, he's quite a slugger. May and June were pretty good months... maybe he'll be back for August and September.

But NO Matt Holliday. I HATE Matt Holliday. I've went to a Sox game last year against the Rockies and he was a total snob. People wanted an autograph or a highfive, but no. He would give them to Rockies fans, but no Sox fans. A kid was with his friend (one was a Sox fan, one a Rockies). The kid asked for an autograph, Holliday looked at his Sox jersey and signed the kid's friend's Rockies baseball instead!!! If he treats Sox fans that way OFF the team, why would we want him ON the team.

I've always been a Nomar fan. Yes, Garciaparra is doing good, and though Andruw Jones can't hit worth a flip, he's like the Jacoby Ellsbury of the Dodgers (the both are great fielders).

Don't count on a Cubs win though. But hey, expect anything from underdogs. ;)

I will have to shower for a week after doing this, but I'm actually rooting for the Yanks to finish the sweep tonight. If the Rays can dispatch the Royals in KC this afternoon, that would put BOTH of them three games back. Considering the payroll of those three clubs, I would have to say that IF Tampa can hold on and win the division, it's the biggest upset in sports since USA 4 - USSR 3. Bigger than Giants/Pats, bigger than Boise State, bigger than App State, bigger than Buster Douglas.

This thread title is misleading, by the way. Red Sox does NOT = MLB. No matter what some of the loony Bahston people may think.

I've loved having manny, but I agree that now is probably the time to trade him.

My idea, trade him to Colorado along with necessary prospects for Holiday and Tulowitski. We get a replacement for Ramirez and a SS. I know the budgets wouldn't work, but that would be a pretty sweet deal.

Let's hope that Lester can have another great outing tonight and we can avoid the sweep.

Latest on the Manny saga:

Manny Ramirez reportedly told ESPNDeportes.com that he's open to a trade if the Red Sox wish to move him.

He didn't make it sound as though he's requesting one. "I don't want to be a problem and a distraction to the Red Sox in such a critical moment of the season," he said. "I want to help the team, even if that means I have to go." Ramirez also indicated that he didn't have any specific teams to which the Red Sox couldn't trade him. "I don't have any preferences: I could choose a team that offers me the best conditions or one in the chase for the postseason. I don't care where I play, I can even play in Iraq if need be. My job is to play baseball," he said.

Still havent heard anything about him waiving his no trade......

This thread title is misleading, by the way. Red Sox does NOT = MLB. No matter what some of the loony Bahston people may think.

Hate to say this but aren't the Red Sox in MLB. I'm not sure about this, I'm new to the game so I'm not quite sure. :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::P:P

And since the Sox ARE in MLB, that means we Sox fans can talk about them in the MLB thread, unless you want us to make an official "Just Red Sox" thread. :huh: