The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

I saw on Newscenter 5 TSA that he said he would waive it. So I would drive him to Logan if he needs a ride

for his plane ride to Iraq :rolleyes: (if you dont understand this sarcasm, read TSAs quote on the selfish baby Manny

LOL, now we'll see what teams are willing to trade for him.

New update. Manny backpeddling a bit:

Manny Ramirez spoke with reporters on Sunday and confirmed that he is open to a trade.

"What I said was if the Red Sox they think they could find a trade that's going to make the team better and both sides are going to be happy, I'm going to agree," he said. "But if they cannot find a trade... It's something simple. It's no big deal. At the end of the season, all they've got to do is call my agent and say, 'Hey, we're not going to pick Manny's option for '09, he's going to become a free agent. And that's it. I go my way, and you guys go your way, something simple." Ramirez sounded like he didn't think he'd be back in 2009 regardless. "I don't want to talk to them about contracts right now. So what? I know they got me, but enough is enough. I'm tired of them, they're tired of me. After 2008, just send me a letter or whatever. You don't even got to call my agent or whatever. 'Hey, thank you for everything. You're going to become a free agent. We're not going to pick up your option in '09.'"

Hate to say this but aren't the Red Sox in MLB. I'm not sure about this, I'm new to the game so I'm not quite sure. :rolleyes::rolleyes::lol::lol::P:P

And since the Sox ARE in MLB, that means we Sox fans can talk about them in the MLB thread, unless you want us to make an official "Just Red Sox" thread. :huh:

We can talk about the Dodgers who got their 2nd straight shutout of the woeful Nationals. :P

and my Uncle has made me a Cubs fan. He is the nicest man in the world and deserves a Championship.

you gotta get there right. The Brew Crew look good right now so its going to be tough.

Latest on the Manny saga:

Manny Ramirez reportedly told ESPNDeportes.com that he's open to a trade if the Red Sox wish to move him.

He didn't make it sound as though he's requesting one. "I don't want to be a problem and a distraction to the Red Sox in such a critical moment of the season," he said. "I want to help the team, even if that means I have to go." Ramirez also indicated that he didn't have any specific teams to which the Red Sox couldn't trade him. "I don't have any preferences: I could choose a team that offers me the best conditions or one in the chase for the postseason. I don't care where I play, I can even play in Iraq if need be. My job is to play baseball," he said.

Still havent heard anything about him waiving his no trade......

I saw on Newscenter 5 TSA that he said he would waive it. So I would drive him to Logan if he needs a ride

for his plane ride to Iraq :rolleyes: (if you dont understand this sarcasm, read TSAs quote on the selfish baby Manny

Latest on the Manny saga:

Manny Ramirez reportedly told ESPNDeportes.com that he's open to a trade if the Red Sox wish to move him.

He didn't make it sound as though he's requesting one. "I don't want to be a problem and a distraction to the Red Sox in such a critical moment of the season," he said. "I want to help the team, even if that means I have to go." Ramirez also indicated that he didn't have any specific teams to which the Red Sox couldn't trade him. "I don't have any preferences: I could choose a team that offers me the best conditions or one in the chase for the postseason. I don't care where I play, I can even play in Iraq if need be. My job is to play baseball," he said.

Still havent heard anything about him waiving his no trade......

Manny is a selfish self centered cry baby and is gone from Boston after this year.

I will have to shower for a week after doing this, but I'm actually rooting for the Yanks to finish the sweep tonight. If the Rays can dispatch the Royals in KC this afternoon, that would put BOTH of them three games back. Considering the payroll of those three clubs, I would have to say that IF Tampa can hold on and win the division, it's the biggest upset in sports since USA 4 - USSR 3. Bigger than Giants/Pats, bigger than Boise State, bigger than App State, bigger than Buster Douglas.

This thread title is misleading, by the way. Red Sox does NOT = MLB. No matter what some of the loony Bahston people may think.

I think he means that the Red Sox are not MLB. There are more teams in the MLB, but he's saying there are so many Sox fans here, and all everyone talks about is Sox blah blah...

I was hoping for a sweep... but when I heard Sidney Ponson was pitching, I kissed that idea goodbye BEFORE the rain delay. Geez.... I have no idea why we picked this guy up. Never been a fan of his. St. louis was luck for him, thats all....

Lastly, Tulo is NOT going to the Sox. I'm really hoping the Yanks wisen up, and move Jeter to 1st, and trade for Tulo. I would trade Kennedy for Tulo. Perhaps even Hughes. I know Hughes is looked down apart right now, but Tulo hasn't done that well this year, so i think it's feasable. This off season, Giambi is gone, Sexon is only here for the remainder I believe... let Jeter train/learn 1st during the offseason, and trade for Tulo. Send a couple of prospects to Colorado. They could use some pitching, and would be in need of another SS.

A guy could dream maybe, no? :)

I think he means that the Red Sox are not MLB. There are more teams in the MLB, but he's saying there are so many Sox fans here, and all everyone talks about is Sox blah blah...

I was hoping for a sweep... but when I heard Sidney Ponson was pitching, I kissed that idea goodbye BEFORE the rain delay. Geez.... I have no idea why we picked this guy up. Never been a fan of his. St. louis was luck for him, thats all....

Lastly, Tulo is NOT going to the Sox. I'm really hoping the Yanks wisen up, and move Jeter to 1st, and trade for Tulo. I would trade Kennedy for Tulo. Perhaps even Hughes. I know Hughes is looked down apart right now, but Tulo hasn't done that well this year, so i think it's feasable. This off season, Giambi is gone, Sexon is only here for the remainder I believe... let Jeter train/learn 1st during the offseason, and trade for Tulo. Send a couple of prospects to Colorado. They could use some pitching, and would be in need of another SS.

A guy could dream maybe, no? :)

I think you picked up Ponson due to the injury factor. If Wang and Hughes were healthy you would never

see that bum.

How about Tulo to the team wearing Dodger Blue ;) aint gonna happen either my friend C23

Thank goodness the offense finally woke the hell up. I felt good with Lester on the mound, but we really needed these guys to wake up. I mean when Ellsbury/Pedroia can get on base this offense can rake with the best of them. Good to see Papi back in the swing of things as well.

I love it when Manny is swinging the bat well, but he needs to just stop opening his mouth. He sounds like an idiot. If he would just shut up and stop talking to the media then I don't think I'd have a huge problem with him back next year, but if he keeps on opening his mouth every single time someone throws a microphone in front of him then he can just go ahead and pack his bags.

If Manny isn't traded (which I don't think he will be) then I want to see Coco/Hansen packaged somewhere. I know Coco has helped the team this year, but I think this team has enough OFs to get the job done. I'd really like to see Okajima start getting in the 8th again, he was pitching pretty well his last few times out.

No offense, but I think Ponson helped you guys out big time tonight. That, and sometimes, the defense looked weak at times... Arod not diving for some ground balls, Jeter kinda just jogging over... stuff like that irritates me the most. Either go over there full throttle, or don't even bother.

And Manny's staying... great hitter, defensivley isn't great, attitude problem, too much contract. He knows how to play the Green Monster well, but what about in Yankee stadium, LA, or other possible places he "might" have gone.

No offense, but I think Ponson helped you guys out big time tonight. That, and sometimes, the defense looked weak at times... Arod not diving for some ground balls, Jeter kinda just jogging over... stuff like that irritates me the most. Either go over there full throttle, or don't even bother.

And Manny's staying... great hitter, defensively isn't great, attitude problem, too much contract. He knows how to play the Green Monster well, but what about in Yankee stadium, LA, or other possible places he "might" have gone.

No offense taken but what about Lester? He had one shaky inning he gave up 2 runs in which could have been a lot worse. Yanks were getting guys on but Lester was keeping them down all game. After that shaky inning, he came back and retired the next 9 batters, not sure how Ponson had anything to do with that. In fact, the ESPN guys were gushing in their man-love over what Ponson has done this year with his 8-1(now 8-2) record and the minimum 8-runs he usually gets in support by the offense. Guess his not getting the 8 runs last night was the only reason he took the loss.

What a pleasure to is to see how Lester has developed over the last few years, cancer aside. I really had my doubts last season about him ever being that top pitcher he was projected to be but its easy to see him becoming that now. Im hoping that Bucholtz is headed down that same path and will start to make some strides forward with his development. We've all seen what he's capable of with his talent, he just needs consistency to be able to get it to the next level like Lester.

Sorry to talk Red Sox here in the MLB thread :rolleyes: . BTW, nobody is stopping anyone else from discussing other teams here.

No offense taken but what about Lester? He had one shaky inning he gave up 2 runs in which could have been a lot worse. Yanks were getting guys on but Lester was keeping them down all game. After that shaky inning, he came back and retired the next 9 batters, not sure how Ponson had anything to do with that. In fact, the ESPN guys were gushing in their man-love over what Ponson has done this year with his 8-1(now 8-2) record and the minimum 8-runs he usually gets in support by the offense. Guess his not getting the 8 runs last night was the only reason he took the loss.

What a pleasure to is to see how Lester has developed over the last few years, cancer aside. I really had my doubts last season about him ever being that top pitcher he was projected to be but its east to see him becoming that now. Im hoping that Bucholtz is headed down that same path and will start to make some strides forward with his development. We've all seen what he's capable of with his talent, he just needs consistency to be able to get it to the next level like Lester.

Sorry to talk Red Sox here in the MLB thread :rolleyes: . BTW, nobody is stopping anyone else from discussing oher teams here.

No offense on the Lester part. Kid did a phenomenal job last night. IMO, I think Ponson isn't that good. Even Aaron Small had a 10-0 record a couple of years ago. Everybody is going to have a good year sooner or later, it's whether to can continue to have good years is the thing. And for me, Ponson hasn't been that good. I just knew the sweep was a joke after I found out he was pitching last night.

And yeah, bases loaded, 0 outs, and Arod line drives to Lowell, Nady... pops out to Crisp, which I was surpirsed Damon didn't try running, and I forget who grounds it to Lester for a pretty good jumping catch. That ticked me off. Bases loaded and you guys could only WALK in a run?!?! I'll be so flippin happy once we shed some payroll this year. And I hope we don't trade for Washburn. We don't need him right now. I think he'd be better than Ponson, but why take on more salary by giving away prospects (unless we swapped big salary for big salary, which I don't see Seattle doing.)

Well if it makes you feel any better, I dont have a good feeling about the next few days because while the Red Sox will be battling the #1 Anaheim Angels, the Yanks and the Rays will be battling to bottom of the divison O's and Jays.

It's those kinds of series that actually worry me. You think you'll get an easy win and BAM! Swept by the O's and Jays (sorry JayCane)

Medford, looks like your Dodgers are in the running for Manny:

Manny Ramirez - BOS

According to the Providence Journal, the Red Sox have talked to the Diamondbacks, Mets, Phillies and Dodgers about Manny Ramirez.

Boston would obviously prefer to deal Ramirez out of the AL. The newspaper notes that Ramirez has assured the Red Sox that he'd waive his no-trade clause if his new team promised to decline his option for 2009, making him eligible for free agency after the season.

You can trade Jake Peavy to the Dodgers or Sox if you like ;)

or that Gonzalez kid, boy is he good, heck i would even take Brian Giles for the

anemic Dodger offense.

btw it is great to see you Jan as well :)

Great to see you, too, medford. Thanks for the shout-out. ;)

According to numerous, seemingly 24/7 accounts by the navel-gazing talk-show hosts on "Double X"/1090 AM (http://www.mighty1090.com/pages/main''>http://www.mighty1090.com/pages/main' target="_blank">http://www.mighty1090.com/pages/main[/post]), neither Padre CEO Sandy Alderson nor GM Kevin Towers have any plans whatsoever to cough up Peavy or Adrian Gonzalez. Those two, as well as starter Chris Young, are on their "untouchable" list. B-Giles isn't in that category, but close: The organization is likely to hold out for a terrific package before shipping off this long-time Padre veteran who's one of the better defensive right fielders in the game -- and, without a doubt, about the only one in the game today who knows how to play Petco Park's bizarrely configured right field without flinching.

However, if either the Dodgers or the Sox could use a Gonzalez, it'd be younger Edgar of whom they'd probably get a glimpse ... at best. (FYI: Adrian's older, considerably smaller brother is a decent enough hitter -- a classic slappy with almost no power -- and a serviceable second baseman.) Given that the Pads have an intense distaste about making deals with division rivals, and that Pedroia seems to be a fixture at second for Boston, I truly doubt that E-Gon would be headed to either of your teams.

Jan/GSBG

Great to see you, too, medford. Thanks for the shout-out. ;)

According to numerous, seemingly 24/7 accounts by the navel-gazing talk-show hosts on "Double X"/1090 AM (http://www.mighty1090.com/pages/main''>http://www.mighty1090.com/pages/main' target="_blank">http://www.mighty1090.com/pages/main[/post]), neither Padre CEO Sandy Alderson nor GM Kevin Towers have any plans whatsoever to cough up Peavy or Adrian Gonzalez. Those two, as well as starter Chris Young, are on their "untouchable" list. B-Giles isn't in that category, but close: The organization is likely to hold out for a terrific package before shipping off this long-time Padre veteran who's one of the better defensive right fielders in the game -- and, without a doubt, about the only one in the game today who knows how to play Petco Park's bizarrely configured right field without flinching.

However, if either the Dodgers or the Sox could use a Gonzalez, it'd be younger Edgar of whom they'd probably get a glimpse ... at best. (FYI: Adrian's older, considerably smaller brother is a decent enough hitter -- a classic slappy with almost no power -- and a serviceable second baseman.) Given that the Pads have an intense distaste about making deals with division rivals, and that Pedroia seems to be a fixture at second for Boston, I truly doubt that E-Gon would be headed to either of your teams.

Jan/GSBG

Welcome back Jan! And there will be NO discussions allowed about replacing Pedroia!

I wouldnt want to have to hand out any warnings here :P

In Manny news:

Phillies GM Pat Gillick says that his team is not interested in acquiring Manny Ramirez.

"At this point, there’s no interest on our part," Gillick told the paper. "We have no place to play the guy." Both the Phillies and the Mets have now publicly denied interest in Ramirez, and the Dodgers and Diamondbacks remain as rumored suitors.

In other news:

FOXSports.com's Ken Rosenthal believes that the Braves will ramp up efforts to trade Mark Teixeira after losing their series against the Phillies this weekend.

Rosenthal doesn't cite one of his "sources," so this seems to be a bit of speculation on his part. He suggests the Red Sox, Angels, Diamondbacks, Rays, Dodgers and Yankees as potential destinations, although he admits none are a perfect fit. ESPN's Keith Law said there are four suitors, based on talks over the last 48 hours.

Of course, medford, the Sox would never dream of dealing Pedroia. That's why I implied that the chances of E-Gon's going to Boston were as good as Halley's Comet making a surprise appearance tonight.

As for Manny: Please keep him far, far away from SoCal. He's an uglier toxic accident than Chernobyl. <_<

Jan/GSBG

I guess I'll just focus on video editing, computers, and video games for the time being since the Yanks have decided to take a break for a while... <_<

I guess I'll just focus on video editing, computers, and video games for the time being since the Yanks have decided to take a break for a while... <_<

Dont go far since no team in our division seems to want to run away with anything. ;)

How are the Yankees Losing to the Orioles? 2 days ago they looked like they were unstoppable. Posada will be missed for the rest of the season.

Offensively, we haven't been here. We got lucky against Boston that one night, but other than that, there hasn't been any real pop...

The roation and bullpen have been our biggest assests, and right now... it's starting to dwindle... In a sense, I hope that Teixeira is traded to NYY for some prospects... he's one kid/player I wouldn't mind trading SOME future for. We have Sexson, Giambi, and Duncan. I've also suggested converting Jeter into a 1st baseman. He's got pretty good agility, so it would be like Nomar, only better defensivley I hope. And trade away some good talent for Tulo from the Rockies. Tulo idolized Jeter growing up, even wears the same number because that was his idol.

I think he would want to play here if given the opportunity. Whether Colorado wants to give him up is another thing.

Ok, maybe someone can settle a dispute/bet

The grass designs, for the Sox, Yanks, any natural grass at that... I say they're made with mowing tactics. Mowing this way bends the grass a certain way and when viewed at from further away, you see the design. Is this true and if so, where's some cold hard facts?

American flag mowed into centerfield grass at Fenway Park

In a tribute to America, David Mellor, the head groundskeeper at Boston's Fenway Park, mowed an American flag (measuring 140 feet by 75 feet) into centerfield for September's four-game series between the Red Sox and Baltimore Orioles.

Mellor changes the way America watches baseball with his innovative waves, diamonds and other designs etched onto the field at Boston's Fenway Park and other ballparks. In his new book to be released on June 4 (Picture Perfect: Mowing Techniques for Lawns, Landscapes and Sports), Mellor explains how anyone can turn his or her turf into a showplace.

Mellor, now the director of grounds for the Boston Red Sox, first came up with the idea of eye-catching designs in grass in 1993, after a Paul McCartney concert in Milwaukee's County Stadium greatly damaged the field. To draw the crowd's attention away from the worn parts of the field, Mellor, then an assistant at that facility, created a striking design in the ballpark's infield. The innovation quickly caught on in ballparks and fields across the nation. And soon he crafted patterns of greater and greater complexity.

For the Red Sox fans, a little Manny humor:

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/gallery/07_28_08_manny_replacement/' target="_blank">http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...ny_replacement/[/post]

Ok, maybe someone can settle a dispute/bet

The grass designs, for the Sox, Yanks, any natural grass at that... I say they're made with mowing tactics. Mowing this way bends the grass a certain way and when viewed at from further away, you see the design. Is this true and if so, where's some cold hard facts?

Haha, I saw that about the guy getting arrested. Who says all Bostonians are gruff and have no manners? -No answers needed

Cool pics but notice Manny isnt in any of them. How about this one:

BDD_MR_meir_7.28.08.jpg