The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

I don't know how it is going to happen, but Manny cannot stay now. With all these dumb-*edit* comments he's been making I don't see how this can be patched up at all. He keeps saying Sox management starts smear campaigns against great players who they are about to trade in order to keep the fanbase on their side. Pedro wanted more years because he felt they disrespected him by saying he couldn't hold up physically...guess what...he didn't. Nomar was a clubhouse cancer when he realized he wasn't the goldenboy any more. These guys still carry a lot of respect in Boston because they went out with a little of animosity, not a lot and they kept their feelings in check. Manny has burnt his bridges though, he's gone from "I want to retire in Boston" at season's beginning to "they don't deserve me" at season's middle.

His Manny being Manny moments in the past have been minor distractions or funny, but never this bad. Critics of the Sox keep saying that the Sox have enabled this attitude, but this is ridiculous. He's never pushed a 70-something year old traveling secretary to the ground before or made direct comments to the Sox Management.

The only problem is that a trade has to happen, and I'm not sure if the Sox can stay in the race 100% if they trade him. I'm not sure if they can replace his bat. Maybe go with a middle of the order of 3. Drew, 4. Ortiz, 5. Lowell. Maybe Drew can pick up his production again with Ortiz batting behind him. Bay would be a great replacement, but I still think the Sox would want to just get him for this year and then go after someone a little bigger/better in the offseason.

This team's problem can be traced back to when Manny's antics started in Houston. They need this problem to away...and fast. I wouldn't mind packaging Hansen/Coco Crisp somewhere for some BP help as well. Getting a new SS would be great, but I don't know of anyone on the market and I don't know what you would do with a hurt Lugo and his 9 Million Dollar salary.

I don't know how it is going to happen, but Manny cannot stay now. With all these dumb-*edit* comments he's been making I don't see how this can be patched up at all. He keeps saying Sox management starts smear campaigns against great players who they are about to trade in order to keep the fanbase on their side. Pedro wanted more years because he felt they disrespected him by saying he couldn't hold up physically...guess what...he didn't. Nomar was a clubhouse cancer when he realized he wasn't the goldenboy any more. These guys still carry a lot of respect in Boston because they went out with a little of animosity, not a lot and they kept their feelings in check. Manny has burnt his bridges though, he's gone from "I want to retire in Boston" at season's beginning to "they don't deserve me" at season's middle.

His Manny being Manny moments in the past have been minor distractions or funny, but never this bad. Critics of the Sox keep saying that the Sox have enabled this attitude, but this is ridiculous. He's never pushed a 70-something year old traveling secretary to the ground before or made direct comments to the Sox Management.

The only problem is that a trade has to happen, and I'm not sure if the Sox can stay in the race 100% if they trade him. I'm not sure if they can replace his bat. Maybe go with a middle of the order of 3. Drew, 4. Ortiz, 5. Lowell. Maybe Drew can pick up his production again with Ortiz batting behind him. Bay would be a great replacement, but I still think the Sox would want to just get him for this year and then go after someone a little bigger/better in the offseason.

This team's problem can be traced back to when Manny's antics started in Houston. They need this problem to away...and fast. I wouldn't mind packaging Hansen/Coco Crisp somewhere for some BP help as well. Getting a new SS would be great, but I don't know of anyone on the market and I don't know what you would do with a hurt Lugo and his 9 Million Dollar salary.

Bay is actually signed for 3 more years, so whoever get's him will have him for a while. I think the Ray's are out of it, and if Atlanta offers up some better talent they can get him.

What's worse, Sox fans: Nomar sulking in the dugout when Jeter went crashing into the stands to make that catch? Or Manny pinch hitting and leaving the bat on his shoulder for three pitches?

By the way, you guys are much more entertaining when you're angry about something.

Personally, I want the Rays to get him. Rocco Baldelli isn't the one for them. You have Carl Crawford, B.J. Upton and Jason Bay? Nice OF there.

Edit: With backups like Gabe Gross. and the like...

Nomar sulking in the dugout when Jeter went crashing into the stands to make that catch?

The only thing that bothers me about that is we had that game won and then Curtis Leskanic imploded. That catch probably wouldn't have gotten nearly the mileage it did if we win that game.

What's worse, Sox fans: Nomar sulking in the dugout when Jeter went crashing into the stands to make that catch? Or Manny pinch hitting and leaving the bat on his shoulder for three pitches?

By the way, you guys are much more entertaining when you're angry about something.

:lol: Love that... :)

Manny Ramirez - BOS

An AL source told the Palm Beach Post that the Red Sox, Marlins and Pirates have tenatively agreed to a three-team deal.

The source said a tentative agreement was reached about 10 p.m. Wednesday, or essentially the same time Baseball Prospectus reported it. Other sources have since said that a deal isn't done, but since his is a new report saying it's agreed to, we'll add it to the mess. The Palm Beach Post has the Marlins getting Manny Ramirez and a prospect from Boston, the Red Sox acquiring Jason Bay and John Grabow from Pittsburgh and the Pirates acquiring Jeremy Hermida, Ryan Tucker and two prospects from Florida. That makes this the first report to "confirm" that Tucker is in the deal. He's a significantly better prospect than any of the three pitchers the Pirates just acquired from the Yankees.

Posted by Gordon Edes, Globe Staff July 30, 2008 11:57 PM

The Palm Beach Post reported that the Sox had reached a tentative agreement with the Marlins and Pirates in which Manny Ramirez would go to Florida, the Marlins would send OF Jeremy Hermidia to Piitsburgh as part of a multiplayer package, and the Sox would receive OF Jason Bay and LHP Josh Grabow. My sources tell me that is not true, a deal has not been struck, but the sides continue to talk.

It may be getting close.

BTW, ANY blooper clip that shows 3 players running for the ball about to run into each other, and NO ONE catches it... Classic. I will always laugh at that, my team or not. :D

I want the Sox to get more than that for Manny. I say you give us Bay and a GOOD relief pitcher or a good prospect or two then sure, but I've read some bad stuff about Grabow on the Sox board.

The only thing that bothers me about that is we had that game won and then Curtis Leskanic imploded. That catch probably wouldn't have gotten nearly the mileage it did if we win that game.

I totally forgot about that guy.

Glad we can entertain everyone, lol. What else do you do with the ultimate Manny being Manny moment?

Looks like we're getting closer:

Manny Ramirez - BOS

In an article updated at 11:50 pm EDT, SI.com's Jon Heyman says that a deal between the Marlins and Red Sox for Manny Ramirez is close and that the teams have relayed their dealings to the commissioner's office.

That goes along with what Will Carroll wrote earlier. The Red Sox will need Bud Selig's approval since they're expected to pick up the $7 million that Ramirez is still owed as part of a deal. Heyman says it's no lock that the Pirates will be part of the trade, though Pittsburgh is clearly in Boston's ideal scenario. The Red Sox want Jason Bay, but they could try to mix in a different third team. Heyman adds that the Dodgers were willing to part with Matt Kemp for Ramirez, but that those talks are on the sidelines now.

I'd love for Theo to make some other moves as well. This Manny thing is really pissing me off because I think it is distracting Theo from addressing the real needs of the Sox. I really wouldn't mind trading Coco/Hansen and then maybe getting a guy in the mold of Roberts.

Manny Ramirez - BOS

In an article updated at 11:50 pm EDT, SI.com's Jon Heyman says that a deal between the Marlins and Red Sox for Manny Ramirez is close and that the teams have relayed their dealings to the commissioner's office.

That goes along with what Will Carroll wrote earlier. The Red Sox will need Bud Selig's approval since they're expected to pick up the $7 million that Ramirez is still owed as part of a deal.

I would rather the three way between Pitt Florida and us. I would much rather have Bay than anyone Florida could give us, unless they give the other Ramirez back!

BTW, ANY blooper clip that shows 3 players running for the ball about to run into each other, and NO ONE catches it... Classic. I will always laugh at that, my team or not. :D

Sounds as if the '62 Mets, a.k.a. Casey Stengel's "Amazin' " team, would seriously tickle your fancy. That crew had more Keystone Kops-esque gaffes than any in the last half-century, and the 40-120 season record bears out its collective ineptitude.

:P

Jan/GSBG

Manny Ramirez - BOS

That goes along with what Will Carroll wrote earlier. The Red Sox will need Bud Selig's approval since they're expected to pick up the $7 million that Ramirez is still owed as part of a deal. Heyman says it's no lock that the Pirates will be part of the trade, though Pittsburgh is clearly in Boston's ideal scenario. The Red Sox want Jason Bay, but they could try to mix in a different third team. Heyman adds that the Dodgers were willing to part with Matt Kemp for Ramirez, but that those talks are on the sidelines now.

According to Maz TSA, canesnsox, warbird et all

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2008_07_31_Manny_Ramirez_s_act_does_little/srvc=home&position=0' target="_blank">http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...&position=0[/post]

its not as likely as some have led us to believe :angry:

Manny Ramirez

?!?!?! How can anyone hate Pauley?!?

Paul was a crybaby. every time he made an out he

slammed his helmut and kicked dirt.

sorry my humble opinion C23.

Most Yanks I like. Pauly is not one of them.

Manny was way worse than Nomar ever was here.

I can attest, Nomar sulked one season. Manny has been a POG his whole time here.

I like Nomar and always will but his last half year in 04 is what got him out of town

and what helped Boston win their first World Series in 86 years so I will take It. :D

Personally, I want the Rays to get him. Rocco Baldelli isn't the one for them. You have Carl Crawford, B.J. Upton and Jason Bay? Nice OF there.

Edit: With backups like Gabe Gross. and the like...

You have a better chance of Clemens coming back to NY than that happening :P (just joking C23)

as I am impressed with Tampa, They are for real and will be a force the rest of the year.

Good for them and their fans as they deserve a winner at some point as we have all experienced

with most of our teams at least one time.

From Boston.com:

Sometime before now and 4 p.m. (the MLB trade deadline), the Red Sox could have a very important decision to make.

If you were Theo, would you sign off on the rumored 3-team deal on the table -- Manny Ramirez to the Marlins, with the Sox receiving OF Jason Bay (.282, 22 HRs, 64 RBIs) and reliever John Grabow (3.19 ERA) from Pittsburgh?

If the three-team trade that's rumored to be in the works -- Manny Ramirez to the Marlins, with the Red Sox receiving Pirates outfielder Jason Bay and lefthander reliever John Grabow -- ends up on Theo Epstein's desk waiting for his signature, do you think he should sign off on it?

In other words, do you think the Red Sox are a better team with Ramirez, or with Bay and Grabow?

Bay does not have a Hall of Famer's pedigree, but he is more than six years younger (he turns 30 in September) than Ram

I want him out of the AL please.

Heck, Manny makes me wish the Russians would create a pro baseball league and throw a ton of money at him to go over and play there! :P