The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

For once, Im glad Schilling has opened his mouth. Some very telling comments indeed:

Schilling: Keeping Manny could be a problem

Posted by Steve Silva, Boston.com Staff July 31, 2008 09:25 AM

Rehabbing Red Sox righthander Curt Schilling this morning said he thought the Manny Ramirez situation has affected the team and keeping him in Boston for the stretch run could present a problem.

"At the end of the day you're taking the field with a guy who doesn't want to play with you, doesn't want to be there, doesn't want to ... obviously effort-wise is just not there and that's disheartening and disappointing," Schilling said during his weekly appearance on Boston sports radio WEEI's Dennis and Callahan program.

Does he think it's time for Manny to go?

"Would I be the only guy in the New England area that said no if I did?" Schilling replied to the question. "I think I'm probably with the consensus. It's very obvious from anything you see or hear he doesn't want to be here. And anytime that there's a piece of the equation you have a problem, and then not trading and leaving him here is a problem because you don't know what you're going to get."

Schilling was asked if he was insulted by Manny's "the Red Sox don't deserve a player like me" comment.

"I was here for the end of both Pedro [Martinez] and Nomar's [Garciaparra] situation and I'm not sure how there's any parallels there," Schilling said. "... I've always felt the organization extended a lot of courtesy Manny's way and I know Terry [Francona] as a manager, like with everybody else he went that extra mile for Manny. It's disappointing to see that not get recognized, but that happens.

"The hard part for me was this [situation with Manny] derailed into a train wreck so quick, so fast, and so oddly. You had the Buddah Zen Master guy in spring training, reading and 'life is good, don't worry be happy' and it just looked like he was poised to have a monster season. Physically he worked his butt off. Obviously he wants to play longer. Anytime a guy like that is motivated, you get excited. You get a chance to see some stuff...

"We had a conversation a little while back, talking about what he should do and how things are gonna go and there's just really not a reason from a business standpoint for the Red Sox to do anything right now. There really wouldn't. Why would they? Given your age and the contract situations. Why would they not just kind of wait and see how things played out. I think there was, maybe there's some feeling on his part that if he did what he did last winter and he came out and had a monster first couple of months that they'd sit down and say 'OK we want to keep you here the next four years, let's get something done,' and it felt like to me that the second he realized that that was not an option, this just went straight downhill."

Could this situation have caused the Red Sox, losers of 4 of their last 5 on this homestand, to lose its focus?

"Absolutely, absolutely," Schilling said. "This is one of those things ... the trading deadline is always a weird time for everybody, no matter what team you play for but this ... when things are going on with Manny, the fact that Manny's locker was in the back, and not with the rest of the guys, ended up being a thing that worked because media wasn't hovering, there wasn't stuff going on, but it appears to me that he's moved out into the clubhouse now to try and make sure he gets his message broadcast and that's ... it's not fun.

"I would absolutely agree that it's affected this team. I don't question it. I've been around when it did before in '06. These are your teammates and it just makes it hard when every question, you're struggling in a 1-for-14 and grinding your [expletive] off at the plate and every question is about something that you have absolutely no control over..."

Schilling also said would give Jason Bay his No. 38 (and Bay's number with the Pirates) if Bay ends up joining the Red Sox in exchange for someone to give a five-figure donation to his charity, Curt's Pitch. "It pretty much can be had right now... yeah ...we'll work something out," Schilling said.

More from Schilling:

Have any teammates told Manny to knock it off?

Ken Griffey Jr. approved a trade from the Cincinnati Reds to the Chicago White Sox on Thursday, paving the way for the future Hall of Famer to pursue a spot in the World Series for the first time in his career.

The deal is subject to the approval of commissioner Bud Selig's office, said a baseball source, who added that MLB approval is expected to be a "rubber stamp.''

CBS Sports.com reported that the Reds will receive pitcher Nick Masset and infielder Danny Richar in return, but that couldn't immediately be confirmed.

Sources said the Reds and White Sox will essentially "split'' what remains on Griffey's contract this season, along with the cost of his $4 million buyout for 2009.

More on Griffey deal

How much playing time will Ken Griffey Jr. get if he agrees to a deal with the White Sox? Our fantasy spin blog seeks answers. Story

The Reds approached Griffey on Wednesday night in Houston and asked if he would waive his contractual rights to accept a deal to the White Sox, according to a baseball source. Griffey had the right to veto any trade because he has 10 years of major league service time and five years with the Reds.

The trade was first reported by FOXSports.com.

Griffey, 38, is hitting .245 with 15 home runs for Cincinnati this season. On June 9, he joined Barry Bonds, Hank Aaron, Babe Ruth, Willie Mays and Sammy Sosa as the sixth player in history to hit 600 homers.

While the Reds (51-58) languish in their division, the White Sox (60-46) lead the AL Central by 1

Want the Yanks to get one more RP. Someone. We lost Hawkins (not much) and Farnsworth. We have Dan Giese, Jose Veras, Edwar Ramirez and David Robertson, and Marte.

Who??? :blink:

Want the Yanks to get one more RP. Someone. We lost Hawkins (not much) and Farnsworth. We have Dan Giese, Jose Veras, Edwar Ramirez and David Robertson, and Marte.

Who??? :blink:

One of your beat writers (maybe NYTimes) was just on XM praising Brian Cashman for the Marte/Nady deal but blasting him for the Farnsworth for Pudge deal. Said they gave up way too much in Farnworth since they were just starting to reap the rewards for being patient with him. Also thought the defense came down a notch because Molina is one of the best defensive catchers in the league. Pudge's bat was a definate upgrade but the trade off for defense wont be worth it.

Of course only time will tell but I thought they were all pretty good moves, especially with what the Yanks paid for Marte/Nady.

It'll be interesting to see how the Angels handle the Yanks tonight, the Angels are looking scary good.

The Boston Globe's Gordon Edes reports that a Manny Ramirez deal has gotten done.

Edit:

Manny Ramirez - BOS

The Dodgers have acquired Manny Ramirez from the Red Sox, SI.com's Jon Heyman and NESN reports.

NESN believes the Red Sox are getting Jason Bay in a three-team deal. Jul. 31 -

Edit:

Manny to the Dodgers...sorry Medford.

To the Red Sox- Jason Bay

To the Dodgers - Manny Ramirez

To the Pirates - Craig Hansen and Branden Moss from the Sox; Andy LaRoche and Bryan Morris from the Dodgers

SI.com reported that the Red Sox got the OK from Ramirez, who would have had trhe rights to veto any deal. From SI.com: "He signed off on the paperwork, contingent upon the two $20-million team options for 2009 and '10 being dropped. The move will set the stage for Ramirez to become a free agent this winter."

Eeks, Moss too????

Well I didn't even know that Ken Griffey was even up for grabs. I think Adam Dunn is going to fill the Gap as a Red's Favorite

Well I didn't even know that Ken Griffey was even up for grabs. I think Adam Dunn is going to fill the Gap as a Red's Favorite

Griffey Jr deserves a shot at the World Series, Im just not so sure White Sox will get him there.

I hate Manny and he is going to my favorite team now.

I just cant get rid of the POG.

Torre here is some Pepto-Bismol.jpg for you

The only thing is if Manny does not act up the Dodgers should win the West.

that is a big IF

Sorry... I don't see the ChiSox making the playoffs. I see the Angels, Twins, and it's a toss up with the Rays/Sox/Yanks...

Sorry... I don't see the ChiSox making the playoffs. I see the Angels, Twins, and it's a toss up with the Rays/Sox/Yanks...

dont discount the Tigers in the Central as of yet. They still have a load of talent there.

Nice touch ;)

Manny being Manny in Dodger blue. Sorry Med. Hopefully he knocks em out of the park for Torre and you.

Heck, Manny makes me wish the Russians would create a pro baseball league and throw a ton of money at him to go over and play there! :P

To quote myself, Pirate: Manny's the worst toxic-waste accident since Chernobyl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster''>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster' target="_blank">http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernobyl_disaster[/post]).

:P

Jan/GSBG

So Chernobyl II has made its way 40 miles of my home. Freaky. :huh:

The Los Angeles Times (http://www.latimes.com/) has plenty to say about ManRam:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manny1...0,3827406.story

It should be verrrrrry intriguing to see how ManRam gets along with T.J. Simers, the Times' caustic, in-your-face columnist who makes Big Apple sportswriters look like Pollyanna. Bookmark the Los Angeles Times' link, baseball fans, and stay tuned to what should be the beginning of a beautiful friendship, to quote Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca. :P

Jan/GSBG

I'm really sad he's gone because I've really liked him for the past 7+ seasons, but at the same time I'm really happy he's gone. His antics this season have reached a new height and the team just can't take his *edit* anymore.

That being said though I think the Dodgers just got Manny Ramirez for nothing. The Sox got Bay for Manny, and Moss (Trading Hansen isn't even worth mentioning). I think that shows just how badly the front office wanted him gone. Guys in the clubhouse have said they are sad because they know he had a good heart, but I think Schill's comments probably sum up how most of the other guys felt about Manny and what he's done this season. Manny's *edit* has basically made it so the Sox couldn't address their bigger needs in the BP. And all of this came about most likely because that greedy little sob Boras wanted commission on a new deal for Manny. :rolleyes:

I've been a fan of his, and it sucks that he had to be traded, but it had to be done with the things he did this year. It had to be done at this point, and I'm glad that we'll get something back instead of him just walking after this year.

I was hoping we'd get more back than just Bay with what we gave back.

That's the best part... the Sox made their alleged big move and the team isn't a bit better than it was yesterday.

Now Tampa needs to stay hot and extend this division lead before September rolls around. Hopefully the Sox and Yanks can have it out for the WC.

Well, I think the Sox got hosed in this one but it had to be done. According to all the player reports, he had already caused problems within the clubhouse and had definately pushed the final buttons with ownership. If he didnt get traded, chances are pretty good based on past behavior that he would mentally sit out the rest of the season while his teamates killed themselves for a playoff spot.

Sending him out West, paying his salary and giving up two players (well, one good one anyway) was a steep price to pay to see your team get a little worse in the batting order. Of course, things could get better because a lot of teams have been known to rise to the occasion when a bad seed has been removed, and the Red Sox certainly have plenty of talent.

The one plus that no one has mentioned is that with Jason Bay coming to Boston, the Rays dont get any better or deeper either.

The negative, Manny becomes a free agent this winter and could easily end up in NY. Im personally rooting for the Mets to get him.

That's the best part... the Sox made their alleged big move and the team isn't a bit better than it was yesterday.

Now Tampa needs to stay hot and extend this division lead before September rolls around. Hopefully the Sox and Yanks can have it out for the WC.

Bay's numbers are very good, not as good as Manny's, but still up there. He's better defensively, so that's a plus and he also is under contract for the next 3 years, so we'll have him for a while. Hopefully everyone can just move on now, and put it all behind them.

Yes they are. Getting rid of a cancer that KILLED the locker room will be the weight that was lifted

that being said the Sox still have plenty of holes and the Rays and Yanks are not going anywhere. So its

going to be an interesting final 2 months of the season.

and I hate Manny and he is on my favorite team coming from my 2nd favorite team :unsure: