The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Bay's numbers are very good, not as good as Manny's, but still up there. He's better defensively, so that's a plus and he also is under contract for the next 3 years, so we'll have him for a while. Hopefully everyone can just move on now, and put it all behind them.

and he is not a huge distraction. remember I live here and for those who dont dont really understand

the media circus that is the Boston Red Sox. Some can handle it quite well (Big Papi and Lowell) and some

are done in by being here (Lugo, Renteria etc)

Yes they are. Getting rid of a cancer that KILLED the locker room will be the weight that was lifted

that being said the Sox still have plenty of holes and the Rays and Yanks are not going anywhere. So its

going to be an interesting final 2 months of the season.

and I hate Manny and he is on my favorite team coming from my 2nd favorite team :unsure:

If it makes you feel any better Medford, Manny should have a monster finish to his season since he got what he what wanted and he's now playing for a free agent contract. If the Dodgers ever had a chance to make some noise in the post season, this is their chance.

Im personally rooting for the Mets to get him.

That's what I'm banking on. And I have three reasons to back up my opinion:

1. The Mets have money. And even after the Santana deal, I assume they have more to blow.

2. The Mets need outfield help. Fernando Tatis and Marlon Anderson aren't exactly all-stars.

3. The Mets have Omar Minaya. It's well-known that Omar likes to bring in Hispanic players. If Manny's last name was Rogers, the Mets would still be a player, but the name "Ramirez" immediately jumps him up the Mets board.

And truthfully, I think Manny'd be a good fit with the Mets - at least til he flipped out again. At Manny's age, I don't know what kind of contract he's looking for, but if New York can sign him to a 2-3 year deal, I think it's a good move.

If it makes you feel any better Medford, Manny should have a monster finish to his season since he got what he what wanted and he's now playing for a free agent contract. If the Dodgers ever had a chance to make some noise in the post season, this is their chance.

This would be like the Canes aquiring Michael Peca (Peca is not as good obviously as Manny but i

cant stand him just as much) and helping us win but not liking the guy that helped you win.

He is still a jerk though

That's what I'm banking on. And I have three reasons to back up my opinion:

1. The Mets have money. And even after the Santana deal, I assume they have more to blow.

2. The Mets need outfield help. Fernando Tatis and Marlon Anderson aren't exactly all-stars.

3. The Mets have Omar Minaya. It's well-known that Omar likes to bring in Hispanic players. If Manny's last name was Rogers, the Mets would still be a player, but the name "Ramirez" immediately jumps him up the Mets board.

And truthfully, I think Manny'd be a good fit with the Mets - at least til he flipped out again. At Manny's age, I don't know what kind of contract he's looking for, but if New York can sign him to a 2-3 year deal, I think it's a good move.

It was reported he's looking for a 4 year-$200 million contract. Im not even sure the Yankees would pay him that....wait...yes they would.

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

It was reported he's looking for a 4 year-$200 million contract. Im not even sure the Yankees would pay him that....wait...yes they would.

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

It just fees up $20 million for the Dodgers or the Sox to sign Matt Holiday ;)

It just fees up $20 million for the Dodgers or the Sox to sign Matt Holiday ;)

That's what Im banking on. And maybe a new SS too ;)

What would happen to Bay if the Sox did go after Holliday? I was really hoping we'd get a guy in the last year of his deal so it would be easier to acquire Holliday.

One of the best things is that with Mannys 20 million gone, Schill's 8 million gone and possibly a few more here and there we are financially able to dump Lugo and his 9 million salary and sign someone else.

That's what Im banking on. And maybe a new SS too ;)

I'm not sure I see Holliday in Boston. I could be wrong, but dunno....

And Tulo is staying put in Colorado, or he's coming here to NY.

Master plan is to have Cano at 1st, Jeter at second, and have Arod and Tulo anchor 3rd and SS, we'll see how they'll do. I still like Molina behind the plate. Great catcher...

BTW, great game between the Halos and Yanks. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I see Holliday in Boston. I could be wrong, but dunno....

And Tulo is staying put in Colorado, or he's coming here to NY.

Master plan is to have Cano at 1st, Jeter at second, and have Arod and Tulo anchor 3rd and SS, we'll see how they'll do. I still like Molina behind the plate. Great catcher...

BTW, great game between the Halos and Yanks. :rolleyes:

Tulo is overrated IMO. Angels are just brutal right now. Bedises being very good, they're playing with all the confidence in the world.

At least they're helping the RedSox right now ;)

Does this mean that Manny has to get his new Batting Helmet as Dirty as the Old one?(His Batting Helmet looked as if it was caked in some Mysterious stinky brown substance)

Does this mean that Manny has to get his new Batting Helmet as Dirty as the Old one?(His Batting Helmet looked as if it was caked in some Mysterious stinky brown substance)

more important, will Joe Torre make him cut the dreadlocks?

It's pine tar.

And Tulo is a great SS imo. He's had bad luck with injuries and was in a slump when he came back from injury #1. Hopefully, he isn't injury prone like other players. If he became injury prone...

Plan b

Cano 1st, Jeter 2nd, Arod SS, and try to get a new 3rd basemen.

Of course, theres alwasy the ahcen we grow some talent.. but that's OH SO unYankee like. ;)

From Peter Gammons blog, I had a feeling things were a lot uglier than we were hearing through the media and they knew things could only get worse:

The text message from Alex Cora came not long after the deal was done. "I am very sad," wrote Cora, one of the game's best and brightest people. "I am happy for him because he wanted it, but he is a great guy. He taught me a lot. I will miss him."

That is what's so sad about the way the Red Sox had to spend $7 million, and trade two very good young players named Brandon Moss and Craig Hansen, to be able to trade Manny Ramirez to the Dodgers so they could get Jason Bay from the Pirates. But the way the past month had gone, there was no chance -- none, zilch, nada -- that Boston could make the playoffs with Ramirez on the team. In his mind, he had completed his obligation for the guaranteed $168 million the Red Sox paid him, and he was waiting to go on the market and collect the $100 million over the next four seasons he believes he is going to get, which would pay him through the age of 40.

He used sycophants to insult ownership and everyone in authority, and one player who really cares for Ramirez said he knew Ramirez could sit the last two months, collect his final $7 million and ride off into the $100 million sunset. The Red Sox knew that, as well. They already had threatened him with an unpaid suspension, but in a world in which the union fights for those who don't work, the last two months were going to be a living hell of sit-down strikes, followed by suspensions. It would have been a half-season of what the past two weeks have been, namely a choke hold on the team's baseball culture.

I just hope he does not end up back in NY to burn the Sox :blink:

Thats certainly a strong possibility. Who else has $100 million to drop on an ex-Red Sox player over 35 years of age?

It feels really weird to hear Nomar talking about the Sox again and seeing pics of old Manny antics on ESPN. I'm really gonna miss him, but he just couldn't come back from the stuff he had said this year. His Manny Being Manny moments had always been funny, but never something to set the team off course. He had been focused on helping the Sox for so long, but I really do think that it was all about the money this year. Boras strikes again, A-Rod last year by getting him to opt out and Manny this year. At least with A-Rod it was after the season ended.

I still have some respect and thanks for Manny after all he had done in Boston, but I swear if he ends up with the Yanks next year then Manny is worse than Johnny 'Bleepin Damon in my book.

The deal was a steal for the Dodgers but the way I look at it is that we weren't getting him back anyway, Hansen is a complete bust and who knows exactly what Moss will turn into. I just wish we could've addressed our 'pen, but maybe Theo has something up his sleeve. I can't wait for tomorrow though, I'm hoping Jason Bay makes a big difference down the stretch, but we're gonna need Drew to get back to his June form and we need Tek/Ellsbury/Whoever plays SS to step up their game as well....oh well....at least the Yanks lost. ;)

maybe they can bring back Clemens as well :blink::lol:

They Might want to Consider all the "Unusual" things he has been accused of first, I don't think bringing a Steroid using Pedophile back into the game will be a good thing on any team in the Majors.

They Might want to Consider all the "Unusual" things he has been accused of first, I don't think bringing a Steroid using Pedophile back into the game will be a good thing on any team in the Majors.

It is a joke, sarcasm, sorry if it was intperpeted not that way.

I usually dont agree with Gerry Calahan but he hit a grand slam with this article.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...ticleid=1110406

No Dodging it: Manny Ramirez just a bad, bad man

By Gerry Callahan

Friday, August 1, 2008 - Updated 3h ago

A number of Red Sox [team stats] players were asked if they could make the short walk to a tent that was set up just outside the ballpark and say a quick hello to the kids.

There were 32 teenagers on the trip to Fort Myers this year, all big Red Sox fans, all battling cancer. Two of them had just lost a leg to the disease. Many were making their first trip to Red Sox camp, and some would never be back.

Most of the players didn