The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Manny certainly crushed one last night but he just keeps on shooting his mouth off. All the power to him...as long as its across the country and doesn't effect the Red Sox anymore.

I am rooting for the LA Dodgers, not that jerk.

It was like when Shannon Sharpe played for Denver for my favorite team

in sports. I enjoyed the good but never liked that jerk.

I also am so happy for Bay. I want him to go on a tear and hit 15 hr the rest of the

year and lead Boston to a World Series.

Also as an aside, I am so impressed with Jon Lester, boy has he gotten so much

better in one year. Lets hope Bucholtz can do this next year.

Meds dream

Sox vs Dodgers. My head would hurt lol

not likely but one can dream right. ;)

medford: The Blue, as you know, last won a World Series in '88, with a postseason effort -- ironically enough -- highlighted by one of the most memorable offensive feats in the last 30 years of the game: Kirk Gibson's one-legged home run. While Orel and Fernando led the way for most of that year, it was that blast that saved the Dodgers' bacon in that match against the A's.

LOS ANGELES -- Day 1 was hectic. Now that the storm has passed, Manny Ramirez has decided that he wants to end his career as a professional baseball player in sunny L.A.

"I like this city, the environment, the energy in the fans. I think that I'll play here for the remainder of my career," Ramirez said in an exclusive interview with ESPNdeportes.com.

When ManRam (yep, that's what Jim Rome calls our beloved fella :P ) said the same thing during a post-game interview yesterday, I giggled and rolled my eyes in mirth. "Yeah. Riiiiight," I muttered.

Jan/GSBG

P.S. ManRam just doubled in a run against the D-backs, giving the Dodgers a 5-2 lead in the bottom of the second.

And the Rays SWEEP the Tigers in one of the most exciting regular season games I can recall. Tigers escape the 7th with the lead after a Rays rally, pad it in the 8th, Tampa rallies to take the lead anyway in the bottom of the 8th on a homer from Hinske and a BOMB from Upton... only to see Granderson take Percival deep on the first pitch of the 9th to tie it back up again. THEN... Cabrera hits one in the 10th that would've still been flying if not for hitting the catwalk to the dome to give the Tigers the lead, and the Rays avoid further damage with a nice double play. Bottom of the 10th sees an attempted bunt by Bartlett go bad as he gets his finger hit when trying to put down the bunt. He leaves the game and is replaced by Riggans... who IMMEDIATELY gets plunked square int he chest when HE tries to put the bunt down. So Iwamura puts the bunt down to put the winning run at second. A walk loads them up, and Crawford singles to tie it. Longoria K's, but Rodney WALKS PENA to bring Riggans home and give the Rays the dramatic win.

Good teams win games like this, particularly after they blow a 9th inning lead. HUGE morale boost for the Baby Rays, and they maintain the 3 game division lead. This baby's goin down to the wire, folks.

*sigh* most of us knew Manny would have a monster season in LA. Just goes to show how much he had quit on the team in Boston.

Moving on....

Anyone ever see so many of the deals made on trade day work out for both sides?

Nady, Griffey Jr, Manny, Bay, Sabbathia, Teixeira, Blake and some of the others...I cant remember when so many trades have worked out so well. Even the Pirates seem happy with their new young players.

Here's an article from MLB.com that gives all the stats since the trades:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Tarheelmike, that was a great game! I watched the end of your game cause it was much more exciting than the Sox/A's. Doesnt look like any of our teams are budging and this will be an exciting race coming right down to the wire like you said. The first team that hits a snag is going to get left in the dust, unless they all hit snags, lol.

Jan, I thought you were a Padres fan? I may be confused.

*sigh* most of us knew Manny would have a monster season in LA.

Make that a monster weekend, TSA. Ten minutes ago, right after the Dodgers wrapped up their game against the D-backs, ManRam was named the player of the game.

That said, he'll slam the Blue the instant he becomes disenchanted -- a brush with an obnoxious sportswriter (hello, T.J. Simers and Bill Plaschke :P) or an abrasive teammate (that's you, Jeff Kent ;) ), or any one of a thousand scenarios (the freeways, smog, or anything else). Count on it. After all, given his history of saying one thing one day and saying something totally the opposite the next, I'd be astonished if he's as upbeat about his being a Dodger a year from now as he's been this weekend.

Call me extremely skeptical, but I am.

Jan, I thought you were a Padres fan? I may be confused.

I am. However, because I live in Placentia, the only baseball teams available on the two local Fox Sports networks are the Angels and the Dodgers -- they're located, respectively, eight miles northeast and 35 miles west of my home. I'm OK with the Dodgers -- hardly a raving fan, though -- and barely lukewarm about the Halos.

The Padres? That's my real team, the one I've cheered for since 1974. Unfortunately, even though they're only 100 miles south of me, they're out of my TV market -- San Diego stations aren't broadcast north of SD County. (For the last two years, we've been too short on cash to afford a dish or a satellite. :mellow: ) However, because the Pads have been so egregious this year, I don't exactly feel deprived by not seeing any of their games on the tube.

Jan/GSBG

Make that a monster weekend, TSA. Ten minutes ago, right after the Dodgers wrapped up their game against the D-backs, ManRam was named the player of the game.

That said, he'll slam the Blue the instant he becomes disenchanted -- a brush with an obnoxious sportswriter (hello, T.J. Simers and Bill Plaschke :P) or an abrasive teammate (that's you, Jeff Kent ;) ), or any one of a thousand scenarios (the freeways, smog, or anything else). Count on it. After all, given his history of saying one thing one day and saying something totally the opposite the next, I'd be astonished if he's as upbeat about his being a Dodger a year from now as he's been this weekend.

Call me extremely skeptical, but I am.

History tells to sit tight and wait for the honeymoon to be over, we'll see. He is playing for a FA contract now so I expect him to finish big. Good for LA, its nice to see all that excitement there after some dismal years. If it sells more tickets, good for them, although it doesnt speak well for the rest of the team when people werent willing to come out and cheer for them.

History tells to sit tight and wait for the honeymoon to be over, we'll see.

That's exactly what I said, TSA. He's been a beautiful bride this weekend (how's that for an image? :P), and he'll start his baseball honeymoon on a 10-game road trip tomorrow. And what an analogy you mentioned -- ManRam will likely have a lover's quarrel with one of his teammates or a member of the coaching staff rather soon, which'll remove all of the bloom from that romance. Awww ... ;)

Good for LA, its nice to see all that excitement there after some dismal years. If it sells more tickets, good for them, although it doesnt speak well for the rest of the team when people werent willing to come out and cheer for them.

Actually, the Dodgers have been merely mediocre ... not truly horrid, unlike the Washington Senators or, sadly, my Padres. Jose Lima and his funky charisma got 'em into the playoffs in 2004; since then, they've settled back into undistinguished mediocrity. And have no worries about lack of attendance at Dodger Stadium, TSA -- attendance each year has been between 3 and 4 million, with an average of about 43,000 tickets sold every night. (It's easy for attendance to be so healthy, since Los Angeles and Orange counties, where most Dodger fans live, have a combined total about 14 million residents.)

Jan/GSBG

attendance each year has been between 3 and 4 million, with an average of about 43,000 tickets sold.

Numbers that John Henry and Larry Luchinno would sell their souls for, lol. If only Fenway could hold those numbers, I cant imagine how much more money the machine that is the Red Sox could bring in. The Red Sox brand has to be worth billions by now.

... Larry Luchinno ...

The lone reason I know about Larry Lucchino, TSA, is because he was the right-hand man during the '90s for John Moores, the Pads' chairman since 1994.

Seating capacity has plenty to do with those attendance figures, as does the size of Los Angeles and Orange counties combined. Remember that Dodger Stadium, built in 1962, can put 56,000 fannies in their seats, whereas 96-year-old Fenway Park can pack in only 36,108.

Jan/GSBG

Take a few breaths, apostle. As a 13-year teacher, I relate to camp counselors big time -- you need some "down time" to catch up on your world. ;)

All I have to say is the Yanks had a monster inning in the 8th. Great game. Was watching on TBS. :D

I saw that game too, caniac23 on Channel 13-LA, and cheered big time for the Yankees: They needed that one much more than the Halos.

Jan/GSBG

Yeah, we have 2 months to try to get a lead for the division or the wild card.

Yankees offense has come alive for sure. This could end up being one of the most exciting races ever in the ALEast. Good for baseball, not so much for my nerves :lol: .

Post trade deadline.....

I would watch for any of our teams to make a play for either or both of these two players: per ESPN

Should clear through waivers:

Aubrey Huff, DH/1B, Baltimore: Huff is due more than $10 million between now and the end of his contract after 2009, so he should sail through waivers without a claim. He's having his best year since 2003, when he looked like a 26-year-old on the verge of offensive stardom, and he certainly could help a few contenders who aren't getting enough production at designated hitter, first base or corner outfield, like the Twins, Rays or Marlins. The Orioles would have to eat a huge portion of Huff's deal, but general manager Andy MacPhail hasn't been afraid to act boldly to get good young talent in return. The Angels could go for broke and designate Gary Matthews Jr. for assignment to replace him with Huff, but we know that's not happening.

Players who won't clear waivers

Brian Fuentes, LHP, Colorado: The Rockies demanded a high price for Fuentes, and they expressed some reluctance to deal him because they were creeping back into the NL West race. They are eight games behind the division-leading Diamondbacks and 11

Time for KC to try and play spoiler once again, Sox better watch out for Mike Aviles, that kid can really hit.

Aubrey Huff, DH/1B, Baltimore: Huff is due more than $10 million between now and the end of his contract after 2009, so he should sail through waivers without a claim. He's having his best year since 2003, when he looked like a 26-year-old on the verge of offensive stardom, and he certainly could help a few contenders who aren't getting enough production at designated hitter, first base or corner outfield, like the Twins, Rays or Marlins. The Orioles would have to eat a huge portion of Huff's deal, but general manager Andy MacPhail hasn't been afraid to act boldly to get good young talent in return. The Angels could go for broke and designate Gary Matthews Jr. for assignment to replace him with Huff, but we know that's not happening.

If Huff can play even middling defense in left field, it'd be huge if the Padres could snare him. With SS Khalil Greene out for the rest of the season thanks to a self-inflicted broken hand -- he got into a fistfight with a tunnel wall at Petco Park <_< -- the team is now wholly reliant upon all-star first baseman Adrian Gonzalez for offensive punch.

Whaddaya say, Kevin Towers? Make one of those sweet under-the-radar deals you were famous for a decade ago, and grab Huff. Otherwise, be prepared to watch your team lose 100 this year -- a dubious mark that Mr. GSBG and I are pretty sure they'll reach. :mellow:

Jan/GSBG

Man, Nady has been on a TEAR. Great trade. I thought Marte was the steal, we know now it was Nady! :D

4 Homers, 11 Rbi's in 9 Yankee Games.

Edi:t A night to cut the defecit down, and we get SLAMMED, big time.

Man, Nady has been on a TEAR. Great trade.

No doubt the Padres would like to undo his trade to the Mets after the 2005 season: In 326 at-bats for San Diego that year, "X" gave the power-challenged Friars 13 homers and 44 RBIs -- fine numbers in the most pitcher-friendly park in the majors. With A-Gon now the lone power source in a sorry Padre lineup thanks to Greene's season-ending broken hand, "X" would've been a huge boost to the club.

Ah, well ... at least "X" is in a better place by now. ;)

Jan/GSBG

very busy at I have not had time to come here :(

as for the Sox, they are just jeckyl and hyde (home vs road)

also when is Francona going to get Varitek out of the lineup

at the end of the game when Varitek could not hit a good

fastball to save his life. good catcher, God awful hitter now.

I expect better things today with Beckett vs a team that

he should shut down. Sox will be fine.

Can the Dodgers continue their recent resurgence. I still cant stand

Manny but he has helped them out. I like Billinglesy and hope for

another good outing tonight vs a tough Cards team.

and Jan, sorry about them Pads. they might even be more offensively

challenged than the Dodgers. Peavy is still awesome and a joy

to watch when pitching.

and C23 I hope Joba is not hurt bad. I hate injuries to determine

playoff races ever

David Ortiz said that he felt a "click" in his surgically repaired left wrist during his ninth inning plate appearance Monday.

"My last at-bat, it kind of pulled back a little bit," Ortiz said. "You feel that click and you get a little concerned about it." When asked after the game Ortiz wasn't sure whether it would impact his status for Tuesday, but did say that experiencing some instability in his wrist was to be expected following surgery and two months on the sidelines. If the 'click' becomes a significant setback, expect to see Barry Bonds-to-Boston rumors heat up again.

Eeks. :huh:

Sox look good last night.

what a strange play on Bays hit the ball rolling on the wall :lol:

my Dodgers blew a chance last night :( oh well, its another day today.

Medford, that play was even freakier than the one that injured Johnny Damon on the 4th of July. How smart of that left fielder to not only pull the ball off the top of the wall, but actually catch it and try to make a play with it?

Im really happy for the resurgence your Dodgers seem to have found but I cant bring myself to root for Manny to do well. He threw his teammates under the bus by quitting on them so I can only hope that history will not be kind to him someday, regardless of what the stats say. It will be very interesting to see what acts he pulls as his career winds down someday.

Jason Bay seems to have found a home in Boston and although he's no future Hall of Famer (not yet anyway), his production is on track to rival what Manny has brought this season to Boston. I dont know if he can keep it up but being in a playoff race with a contender has to be pretty motivating.

Not looking good for the Yankees if Joba goes down, how many more injuries can they possibly take? If the Yanks make it to the post season, it will truly be an impressive thing. There's probably no way to know, but if rushing him to be a starter precipitated whatever the injury is, there's gonna be a lot of second guessing going on in the Bronx.

Rays are still chugging along and as long as the Red Sox can keep pace, September will end up being a very telling month for the AL East. Kasmir seems to have hit a bump in the road but pitching isnt really a big problem for the Rays. The Rays not getting Jason Bay at the deadline could prove to be the Red Sox's biggest plus heading down the stretch. Though I wouldnt mind two teams coming from the Al East ;) .