The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

I would be ecstatic for the Rays if they made it to the playoffs. No other team (sorry Jays and Os) deserves it more than the Rays after all they've endured. Years and years of embarrasment, torment, frustration... If they even made it to the WS, wow... I couldn't even imagine Tampa.

I would be ecstatic for the Rays if they made it to the playoffs. No other team (sorry Jays and Os) deserves it more than the Rays after all they've endured. Years and years of embarrasment, torment, frustration... If they even made it to the WS, wow... I couldn't even imagine Tampa.

Agreed. Rays have that "something special" thing about them right now, it'll be interesting to see if they can take it right into the playoffs.

Red Sox are holding it together but still have questions with pitching and David Ortiz. At least they seemed to have solved the SS issues with Lowrie, and Ellsbury is starting to heat up again. If Youk can stop getting nailed with pitches, they may actually have the pieces to make a nice run again.

Agreed. Rays have that "something special" thing about them right now, it'll be interesting to see if they can take it right into the playoffs.

Red Sox are holding it together but still have questions with pitching and David Ortiz. At least they seemed to have solved the SS issues with Lowrie, and Ellsbury is starting to heat up again. If Youk can stop getting nailed with pitches, they may actually have the pieces to make a nice run again.

I will be really interesting to see what happens in the playoffs! :huh:

Rotator cuff tendinitis sends Joba to DL

Injury is same as Posada's; Yanks to start Kennedy on Friday

The diagnosis was right rotator cuff tendinitis, the same injury that sidelined catcher Jorge Posada for the entire month of May. Posada eventually returned but never regained full strength in his throwing shoulder, undergoing season-ending surgery on a right shoulder strain last week.

The Yankees can only hope that Chamberlain won't suffer a similar fate.

"To be quite honest with you, you can't sit here and hang your head about it," shortstop Derek Jeter said. "Hopefully, it's not something that goes for an extended period of time."

Chamberlain, 23, was 4-3 with a 2.63 ERA, and 3-1 with a 2.76 ERA since becoming a starter in early June. He joins fellow Yankee starters Chien-Ming Wang and Phil Hughes on the disabled list.

full article here: http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/articl...sp&c_id=nyy

As long as the Yankees don't make it I'm happy, i'd just love to see the reaction if they didn't make the playoffs. Especially during the last seaosn at Yankee Stadium.

I sound evil, but they are the evil empire.

Chad Bradford to the Rays via a waiver deal. Solid bullpen addition for Tampa... which will only get stiffer once they bring up Price.

Interesting pick up indeed. Submariner if I remember correctly from when he was a Red Sox, nasty pitch if he's on.

The Rays are definately going for it and they should. Yanks are down and the Red Sox have plenty of questions so why not take full advantage when it loooks like all the pieces are in place for them. Should be fun.

I dont get this one, the Red Sox dont need anymore outfielders. Unless they're just keeping him away from say......Tampa?

Red Sox Claim Padres Giles off waivers

CHICAGO -- The Red Sox did submit a waiver claim for the Padres' Brian Giles yesterday, according to a source with knowledge of the situation.

That means that the teams can either work out a trade for the outfielder or the Padres can pull him back off waivers within a 48-hour period that ends tomorrow. But there are complications with a trade, given that the Red Sox are one of eight teams to which Giles can block a trade, according to the limited no-trade provision in his contract. Giles is being paid $9 million this season, plus a $2 million increase if he gets traded.

Giles, 37, is hitting .295 this season with six home runs and 37 RBI in 103 games. He also has a .390 on-base percentage this season. He did not start today's game against the Mets, but pinch hit in the eighth inning and grounded into a force out.

The San Diego Union-Tribune first reported that the Sox had put in the claim on Giles.

As long as the Yankees don't make it I'm happy, i'd just love to see the reaction if they didn't make the playoffs. Especially during the last seaosn at Yankee Stadium.

I sound evil, but they are the evil empire.

They were only called the Evil Empire because they had "all the power" supposedly. We also had the money to sign the huge power hitter guys (Giambi) and good pitchers (Mussina) (keep in mind, this was years before steroids were leaked and Giambi was "good" and so was Moose. Moose is still good, but hopefully, for me, this is his last year), and won 4 championships in 5 years (96, 98, 99, 00). Also outbidding the players the Sox wanted. I think the Sox pres. labeled us that one year after outbidding him for a latin pitcher I think... can't remember exactley. We spent 209 mil this year on payroll, Sox spend 133, which is 4th. (2007, Yanks spent 218 mil, Sox spent 155)

Sox also won 2 Championships in 4 years (possibly 3 in 5 years). Also, on the verge of winning their second title, Sox fans were being asked "Are the Sox the New Evil Empire?". They're making a strong run for it.

BTW, Don't ever count the Yanks out. We were 14 1/2 games out last season. 14 1/2 games out and still made the playoffs through the wild card. Rays are making a strong push for it, and I'm happy for them. Plagued with injuries (sound familiar???), we'll probably end up just like the Cane's and miss out by a game or so.

It is now being reported that the commissioner's office is investigating Manny and Boras for their little stunt to get out of Boston. Serves 'em right. Boras pulls this *edit* all the time and it is great he's finally getting called on it.

It is now being reported that the commissioner's office is investigating Manny and Boras for their little stunt to get out of Boston. Serves 'em right. Boras pulls this *edit* all the time and it is great he's finally getting called on it.

MannyGate

"Feeling a little duped, Red Sox Nation? Still wondering if this whole thing was on the level?

"You are not alone. The commissioner's office is investigating the circumstances of Manny's final hours with the Red Sox. The Globe has learned (from a source with direct knowledge of the inquiry) that Bud Selig directed Major League Baseball executive vice president Rob Manfred to contact all parties for an explanation of how things unfolded around last week's trading deadline. According to the source, Manfred has yet to report back to the commissioner.

"Here's why Selig's office is looking into the matter:

"The Red Sox had an option to retain Ram

MannyGate

"Feeling a little duped, Red Sox Nation? Still wondering if this whole thing was on the level?

"You are not alone. The commissioner's office is investigating the circumstances of Manny's final hours with the Red Sox. The Globe has learned (from a source with direct knowledge of the inquiry) that Bud Selig directed Major League Baseball executive vice president Rob Manfred to contact all parties for an explanation of how things unfolded around last week's trading deadline. According to the source, Manfred has yet to report back to the commissioner.

"Here's why Selig's office is looking into the matter:

"The Red Sox had an option to retain Ram

wow, if that is true you really have to wonder about what else he did to try to 'get his point across' but then again you could take the other point and just say that you can't really prove that.....either way i think manny wasn't playing his hardest during his last few weeks as a red sock ( or is it still sox?) either way, I think he should have owed more to boston than taking strikes and jogging to first just because he was unhappy.

All you have to do is look at my signature and avatar

I am a huge Dodgers fan but also like the Sox and

to me the Sox were manipulated by a scumbag.

What a jerk he is.

Go Jason Bay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wow, if that is true you really have to wonder about what else he did to try to 'get his point across' but then again you could take the other point and just say that you can't really prove that.....either way i think manny wasn't playing his hardest during his last few weeks as a red sock ( or is it still sox?) either way, I think he should have owed more to boston than taking strikes and jogging to first just because he was unhappy.

Sadly, nothing can ever really be proved. Selig can say he's concerned about the integrity of the game but without any hard evidence, what can he prove? Scott Boris can claim whatever he wants but he was the hired gun by Manny.

The only person who should be held responsible for this is Manny. The Red Sox did what they had to do to preserve the integrity of their team and Manny forced their hand. If any employee went out and under performed unpurpose just to get fired, is it illegal? Classless, cheap and unethical....but not illegal. The only ground the league has to stand on would be collusion since that's against MLB rules. But can it be proved.

Nothing will come of this IMO, but hopefully Bud Selig's office makes enough noise in disgust to deter the next "Manny" from being able to hold another team hostage by tanking. No way does the league suspend Manny because LA is a huge market in desperate need of what Manny is bringing right now. What would be fair would be to have Manny forfeit the $7 million he's still being paid by the Red Sox. Or better yet, have Scott Boris pay him. <_<

If you read enough of the media reports out today, the players all knew this was going on for some time and thats why finally he had to go. Like I said in an earlier post, I hope history will not be kind to Manny. Having his legacy tarnished will be the perfect punishment for a guy who's all about himself and not the game or his team.

Sadly, nothing can ever really be proved. Selig can say he's concerned about the integrity of the game but without any hard evidence, what can he prove? Scott Boris can claim whatever he wants but he was the hired gun by Manny.

The only person who should be held responsible for this is Manny. The Red Sox did what they had to do to preserve the integrity of their team and Manny forced their hand. If any employee went out and under performed unpurpose just to get fired, is it illegal? Classless, cheap and unethical....but not illegal. The only ground the league has to stand on would be collusion since that's against MLB rules. But can it be proved.

Nothing will come of this IMO, but hopefully Bud Selig's office makes enough noise in disgust to deter the next "Manny" from being able to hold another team hostage by tanking. No way does the league suspend Manny because LA is a huge market in desperate need of what Manny is bringing right now. What would be fair would be to have Manny forfeit the $7 million he's still being paid by the Red Sox. Or better yet, have Scott Boris pay him. <_<

If you read enough of the media reports out today, the players all knew this was going on for some time and thats why finally he had to go. Like I said in an earlier post, I hope history will not be kind to Manny. Having his legacy tarnished will be the perfect punishment for a guy who's all about himself and not the game or his team.

can the unkind tarnishment happen after the Dodgers make the playoffs ;):P

Ok... I'm getting a little annoyed with LA and their "poundings".... <_<

BTW: Nice catch by Brandon Moss! ;)

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Having successfully orchestrated his divorce from Boston and his landing in with the Dodgers, Manny Ramirez would like to make life miserable for the Red Sox during the next few seasons.

According to people who have spoken to the eccentric outfielder since he was dealt to L.A. on July 31, Ramirez wants to sign a free-agent deal with the YankeesNew York Yankees this offseason and get 19 chances a year to punish Boston.

"He wants to play for the Yankees so he can get at the Red Sox," a close friend of Ramirez's told The Post.

No surprise here :rolleyes:

Man... let's hope not. I could only see him being used as a DH. He's not a great outfielder. I would love for the Yanks to get Denard Span. I think with time, and great coaching, that kid is going to be fantastic.

I would be ecstatic for the Rays if they made it to the playoffs. No other team (sorry Jays and Os) deserves it more than the Rays after all they've endured. Years and years of embarrasment, torment, frustration... If they even made it to the WS, wow...

Not even the San Diego Padres, who've been in the National League since 1969? I like the Rays, c23, and am delighted for them and their success, but the Pads have been in the bigs longer by 29 years, involved in postseason play only five times ('84, '96, '98, '05, and '05), and advanced further than the NLDS only twice ('84 and '98).

Sorry, but as a Padre fan since 1973, I'm thinking that the Friars have waited a whole lot longer for a World Series title than the Rays. (Then again, the Cubbies have been searching for one since 1908.)

Jan/GSBG

Not even the San Diego Padres, who've been in the National League since 1969? I like the Rays, c23, and am delighted for them and their success, but the Pads have been in the bigs longer by 29 years, involved in postseason play only five times ('84, '96, '98, '05, and '05), and advanced further than the NLDS only twice ('84 and '98).

Sorry, but as a Padre fan since 1973, I'm thinking that the Friars have waited a whole lot longer for a World Series title than the Rays. (Then again, the Cubbies have been searching for one since 1908.)

Jan/GSBG

The Padres have had respectable runs though. The Rays were basically the laughing stock of the AL East, and to see them emerge and finally above the Sox and Yanks, is really saying something (then again, the Angels aren't having any trouble either)

The Padres have had respectable runs though.

Only a few, c23, but they'd been through many more years reminiscent of the mid- to late-'60s Mets, the crew that made Casey Stengel, the Amazins' first manager, ask his team in disbelief after an especially egregious loss, "Can anybody play this here game?" :unsure:

Bottom line: The Pads have had many more sad-sack years than have the Rays. Let's close this case.

The Rays were basically the laughing stock of the AL East, and to see them emerge and finally above the Sox and Yanks, is really saying something (then again, the Angels aren't having any trouble either)

Agreed. Still, without wishing to argue this point further, it's worthwile to knowing baseball fans to understand the drought the Padres have gone through: five playoff appearances in 40 major-league seasons, without one World Series title to show for it. (And, yes, the Pads have been described as a laughing stock for many seasons more than have the Rays.)

The lack of a championship is truly a painful thing for long-time Friar fans to acknowlege, including this one -- a fan since 1973, Dave Winfield's rookie season.

Jan/GSBG

For the Sox fans here, I think its time for Bucholtz to be sent to AAA

He looks lost out there. Maybe the nohitter last year was the worst

thing that happened to him because it puts unrealistic expectations on him.

I think Masterson should be put back in the rotation with Michael Bowden

coming up. Just what I hope for. We shall see

The Sox better win tonight with Beckett because Tampa is on fire

and they are going to run away with the East if they keep it up.

Focus on the Wild Card, get in the playoffs and see what happens.

As for my Dodgers :mad: they keep choking games away they should win.

I hope for better tonight as they are actually on TV locally for once.

I just wish Kershaw was pitching, I want to watch him in a game

on TV this year. He is going to be very good IMHO

Buchholz just looks like he has ZERO confidence in his pitches. He was sent down in order to learn how use his fastball effectively like he did last year and early this year. He uses his fastball a lot in early innings, but whenever it gets hit just one time he stops throwing it or starts throwing it much slower in order to hit his location. It is horrible to watch him pitch, he can be cruising then if he runs into one ounce of trouble he just shuts down and looks like he doesn't know what the hell he's doing.

If Beckett is back to being Beckett then that would solve one problem. The other one is that Colon looked good in his last start and could be ready to replace Buchholz eventually, but now Wakefield is gone for 2 weeks.

Bodies are dropping everywhere. Rays lost Crawford and Longoria, that's going to hurt them (no pun intended). It's going to be a slugfest for the division/wildcard in the AL East. Either way, I don't quit on my Yanks, but I don't see them grabbing the Division this year. Hughes, Wang, Joba out, who knows for how long...

tonight has been fun watching the Dodgers on TV and them

actually hitting :)

Also hearing Hershiser reminice about the good old days

has been great. I hope there are no Philly fans here

as this has been like A Dodger home broadcast. lol

I just hope they can get some consistency for once.

They need Saito back IMO to make a run at the West

and great win for Boston tonight, focus on the WC

and see if you catch Tampa, which I think its their

season to make the playoffs and rightfully so.

Their fans have suffered for a long time, we as Canes

fans have had success, why not the Rays as well