The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Bodies are dropping everywhere. Rays lost Crawford and Longoria, that's going to hurt them (no pun intended). It's going to be a slugfest for the division/wildcard in the AL East.

HUGE losses there, and both on goofy plays. Good news is that the prognosis for both doesn't seem grim (and it will allow Crawford some time off the bum hammy, too) and that they'll both be back in the lineup by the end of the month. Bad news is the margin for error is slim, especially in this division.

Tampa's still gotta finish out this roadie, in Oakland beginning tonight and then Texas over the weekend. And then a HUGE series back home with the same team that has PLOWED thru Boston and the Yanks here in the past couple of weeks: Anaheim. If they survive that, they only gotta go up to the Southside and deal with the White Sox. Things thankfully seem to slow up a little with the Jays and O's at home to close out the month... and then the fun REALLY begins, with two series apiece with the Yanks and Sox in September.

In short, the Rays have to ride this injury bug out and maintain the division lead into September. They don't wanna be playing catch up when the leaves start turning.

I was very peeved when I heard Sox got Byrd. Why couldn't the Yanks make something happen? Fridays the deadline, and I think our team could use a little help.

The good news is that Hughes is playing in Scranton tonight (aaa) and so far is reported to throw 103 MPH heater, a 99 mph slider and apparently has a knuckler. Now, if he uses any of that in the Majors, that is what will impress me ;). You Sox fans are deservingly enjoying this.

Red Sox-Rangers game was neat tonite. Just goes to show that you really can't put away an opponent after the first inning!!

I guess that's what you get when you put the two highest scoring offenses up against each other with weak starting pitching....it took 37 runs to decide the winner. :blink:

I guess that's what you get when you put the two highest scoring offenses up against each other with weak starting pitching....it took 37 runs to decide the winner. :blink:

Well Texas is used to this sort of thing...I'm not so sure the Red Sox are. But once again they proved just how strong they are by coming back...I mean they could've collapsed after losing the lead but instead they just keep fighting. Impressive.

Meanwhile, the Twins lost tonite to the Yanks, but gave Rivera his first blown save of the season! Woo!?

Well Texas is used to this sort of thing...I'm not so sure the Red Sox are. But once again they proved just how strong they are by coming back...I mean they could've collapsed after losing the lead but instead they just keep fighting. Impressive.

Meanwhile, the Twins lost tonite to the Yanks, but gave Rivera his first blown save of the season! Woo!?

The Yankees always seem to find a way to hang around, dont they <_< .

Sox took some more injuries with Lowell tonight and its looking like the AL East will come down to survival of the fittest. None of three contending teams can use injury as an excuse since they're all banged up and have lost key players at one point or another of the season (although the Yankees definately have lost the most).

The wild card race should be very exciting and will come down to the last week.

The Yankees always seem to find a way to hang around, dont they <_< .

Sox took some more injuries with Lowell tonight and its looking like the AL East will come down to survival of the fittest. None of three contending teams can use injury as an excuse since they're all banged up and have lost key players at one point or another of the season (although the Yankees definately have lost the most).

The wild card race should be very exciting and will come down to the last week.

The Sox showed guts last night. I was very happy

The Yanks are resilient and will not go way. Tampa is on the verge of a special season, deservedly so.

My Dodgers are playing better, (yes we hate Manny but I gotta root for my Team. If Sean Avery was a Cane, I would not root against him) I hope they can continue and at least get in the playoffs.

I am happy Nomar is back and Andrew Jones is on the dl. He has been atrocius this season :blink:

How often will ever see this?

36 runs, 37 hits, 5 home runs, 4 hours of baseball.

08132008scoreboard600.jpg

HUGE losses there, and both on goofy plays. Good news is that the prognosis for both doesn't seem grim (and it will allow Crawford some time off the bum hammy, too) and that they'll both be back in the lineup by the end of the month. Bad news is the margin for error is slim, especially in this division.

Tampa's still gotta finish out this roadie, in Oakland beginning tonight and then Texas over the weekend. And then a HUGE series back home with the same team that has PLOWED thru Boston and the Yanks here in the past couple of weeks: Anaheim. If they survive that, they only gotta go up to the Southside and deal with the White Sox. Things thankfully seem to slow up a little with the Jays and O's at home to close out the month... and then the fun REALLY begins, with two series apiece with the Yanks and Sox in September.

In short, the Rays have to ride this injury bug out and maintain the division lead into September. They don't wanna be playing catch up when the leaves start turning.

crawford is probably done for the season, he is having surgery tomorrow and will be out for a while, i just hope longoria comes back soon!

crawford is probably done for the season, he is having surgery tomorrow and will be out for a while, i just hope longoria comes back soon!

The Rays pitching is their strong point IMO so if they can just keep the hitting steady and get great pitching, they should still hang in there. Kasmir is going to have be better.

Mike Lowell will most likely head to the DL for the Sox which will be a huge loss. Im sure there's a reason that Sean Casey isnt an everyday player but we're gonna need him now with Youk heading to third.

Hank Steinbrenner all but conceeded this season due to all the injuries. I know the Yanks have had more than their share but other teams have lost some really key players for long stretches too. Pavano didnt have a very good outing in the minors but Hughs has looked pretty good.

What a strange year its been, lol.

Hank Steinbrenner all but conceeded this season due to all the injuries. I know the Yanks have had more than their share but other teams have lost some really key players for long stretches too. Pavano didnt have a very good outing in the minors but Hughs has looked pretty good.

Pavano hasn't had a good outting since the Marlins :lol::lol:!!

Hughes and IPK were very disappointing at the beginning of the season, and Hughes went down, which meant we couldn't fine tune it or send him to the minors for work. Wang goes down circling the bases , Posada goes on the DL for the 1st time in his career this season, lost Arod for a few.... you'd think with all this money we have, we could at LEAST have a great training program ;)

Also, while other teams have lost players for some stretches, other players picked up the heat. Ortiz was hurt, Drew picked up the slack for a while. With the Yanks, not so much. And I will have to say and continue to say, it's so great seeing our home town boy Denard Span doing so flippin' great. I truly wish the Yanks could grab him some how, but with how well he's been doing for the Twins, I can't see them trading any body away at this point, or letting them walk after Johan, Hunter, and Silva left.

Anyway...

Nice game today boys, nice...

Thank You Nomar B)

Another great night for Youk as well. He has been en fuego lately for boston :D

9-3 since the cancer was cleansed from the Clubhouse for Boston

and since the jerk has been put in left in LA. they are 8-4 and are a much

better team than before his arrival. remember rooting for laundry

not the fruitcake in LF.

Go Blue and Go Red Sox

The dreads are dead.

Torre won. And Manny may just be okay with it...

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

LOS ANGELES -- After two weeks of lingering questions about his hair, Manny Ramirez finally put an end to "Dread-Gate" by getting about an inch cut off his famous dreadlocks at a Los Angeles barbershop Thursday before arriving at Dodger Stadium. Ramirez joked he was in "the principal's office" after meeting with manager Joe Torre in his office to show him the cut, ordered by Torre per Dodgers policy. The outfielder's dreads now stop around his shoulders and do not cover up the "Ramirez" on the back of his jersey like they did before.

"He took a little bit off," Torre said. "In the initial meeting I had with him when I said, 'How important is your hair?' He said, 'You want me to cut it?' I said, 'Well, I'd like you to clean it up a little bit.' I think he was within the rules of cleaning it up a little bit."

Torre left room for possibly asking Ramirez to get another haircut down the road by saying, "Like Billy Crystal said in 'Analyze That,' 'It's a process.'"

Ramirez, a free agent in the offseason, said his hair will be shorter next season if he returns to Los Angeles, but in any case, he does not plan on getting another haircut before Spring Training.

The Dodgers surely hope Ramirez's haircut does not have a Samson-Delilah effect on the slugger, as Ramirez is hitting .477 with three doubles, five homers, 16 RBIs in 12 games as a Dodger, hitting safely in 11 of them.

Los Angeles is 5-1 at Dodger Stadium since the trade, while Ramirez has hit .571 with three homers, 10 RBIs and a .667 on-base percentage in those six games.

"He haunts me with this," Torre said. "He said, 'It's the hair.' Every time he gets a hit he tells me, 'It's the hair.' He's been funny. I continue to tell him, I say, 'If it was the hair, I would have snuck into your apartment when you were in Boston and shaved your head.' I said, 'It's your ability.'"

Ramirez has hit .321 with 55 homers and 163 RBIs in his career against the Yankees, having recorded more homers and RBIs against New York than any other team, so Torre knows all about that ability having managed the Yankees the past 12 years.

What has surprised Torre most about Ramirez in the two weeks he's been managing the slugger is just how hard he works to be great.

"You knew he had a natural ability, but unless you're in there every day watching the process that he goes through with the tee work and the cage work and all that stuff that he does. you really can't associate the two," Torre said. "Again, it's not a mistake. You're born with it, but what you do with it is the big difference, and he certainly doesn't take the ability for granted, from what I'm seen."

lol Manny is such a fruitcake.

but I guess I have to look the other way as my team is now 9-4 with the manchild there.

the Sox are 10-3 with Bay now. Great for them. I am so happy for Francona

and boy has Youk been en fuego

Also Julio Lugo will not start again for this team. Jed Lowrie has been excellent

what another Theo find.

Before....

BDD_MR_haircut_8.15.08.jpg

After....

BDD_JT_offspace_8.15.08_mb.jpg

Lol, thank goodness the circus has left town (Boston).

C23, so I guess the Yanks have officially threw in the towel. They released Sexon, sent down Melky Cabrerra and brought up 3 prospects. I think they released Guise(spelling) too.

Before....

BDD_MR_haircut_8.15.08.jpg

After....

BDD_JT_offspace_8.15.08_mb.jpg

Lol, thank goodness the circus has left town (Boston).

C23, so I guess the Yanks have officially threw in the towel. They released Sexon, sent down Melky Cabrerra and brought up 3 prospects. I think they released Guise(spelling) too.

TSA I hate manny but the Dodgers are better when he is trying.

(the Sean Avery of the Dodgers I keep telling myself :lol: )

I am so happy that Youk, Pedrioa, Lowrie and Ortiz are all en fuego at once.

I just hope that Bucholtz straightens himself out as he is the only starter that

is dreadful right now. Even Byrd is on fire from when in Cleveland.

TSA I hate manny but the Dodgers are better when he is trying.

(the Sean Avery of the Dodgers I keep telling myself :lol: )

I know, the Dodgers really got lucky with this deal. I think he's the missing piece that was needed to push the Dodgers into the playoffs and maybe make some noise. Good luck to whoever he signs his next deal with.

I am so happy that Youk, Pedrioa, Lowrie and Ortiz are all en fuego at once.

I just hope that Bucholtz straightens himself out as he is the only starter that

is dreadful right now. Even Byrd is on fire from when in Cleveland.

Back end of the rotation and the bridge to Papelbon are the only holes left. If Wake can come back and Colon can pitch in once in awhile, the rotation looks fine. What to do with Timlin though?

Not trading Lowrie for Santana is looking pretty good right now.

I know, the Dodgers really got lucky with this deal. I think he's the missing piece that was needed to push the Dodgers into the playoffs and maybe make some noise. Good luck to whoever he signs his next deal with.

I hope they do make it. Nomar hit a walk off the other day. I was very happy for him.

They need some of their injured players back as well. Their bullpen is hurting. I would love to see

Sato and and their ss Furcal come back. We shall see

Back end of the rotation and the bridge to Papelbon are the only holes left. If Wake can come back and Colon can pitch in once in awhile, the rotation looks fine. What to do with Timlin though

great move to not trade Lowrie. Lugo better get used to the bench.

He is not coming back. As for Timlin its time for him to retire. Great guy but is all done IMHO.

I just wish they would bring up Bowden. Supposedly he has Papelbon stuff. Paps learned in the pennant race in 05

and has done quite well.

We shall see. I just hope the rain holds off for another win tonight, but they do face a much better

staff in Toronto. I did see in todays Herald that Halliday is only like 10-11 with a 4.66 ERA vs

Boston. They got a shot tonight IMO.

Halladay has gotten killed by the Sox in his past 10 games, I think an ERA over 5. Not to mention you guys got Byrd, who just shut us down completely last weekend....also Scott Downs is out I think, who is easily our best reliever.

Halladay has gotten killed by the Sox in his past 10 games, I think an ERA over 5. Not to mention you guys got Byrd, who just shut us down completely last weekend....also Scott Downs is out I think, who is easily our best reliever.

Looks like a rain out :(

NEW YORK -- Hoping to tweak their roster for a final push for the postseason, the Yankees made significant alterations on Friday, demoting outfielder Melky Cabrera and cutting ties with veteran Richie Sexson.

The move installs rookie Brett Gardner, promoted from Triple-A, as the Yankees' primary starting center fielder during a crucial stretch in which they will play 28 of their final 41 games against clubs with winning records. New York also added utilityman Cody Ransom to provide versatility off the bench in Sexson's place.

Cabrera took the move with some surprise, embracing teammates in the clubhouse before packing his belongings. The 23-year-old was New York's Opening Day center fielder, but manager Joe Girardi did not start Cabrera four times over the team's recently completed 10-game road trip to Texas, Anaheim and Minnesota.

"That's their decision, and I'm going to do whatever they say, go down there and work hard and try to come back," Cabrera said through an interpreter. "I started good, but my average went down, and I've just got to go to Triple-A."

Cabrera was batting .242 with eight home runs and 36 RBIs in 117 games. He has regressed offensively from last season, a point that Girardi and general manager Brian Cashman established before making the move.

"We just felt it was time for him to go work on some things," Girardi said. "You can't forget how young Melky is, and sometimes it's difficult to work on things here. We talked about some things offensively, we talked about some things baserunning. We felt that Melky has grown defensively as a player, but we just felt it was time now."

Cabrera had just three hits in his past 26 at-bats for New York, though he said he "never" expected to be sent to the Minors at this point in the season.

"He's a better player than this, and he knows it," Cashman said. "He's struggled, and sometimes the best way to get yourself going is to take a step back. He was working hard up here. The performance just didn't follow. In his case, there was somebody pushing from within."

Gardner, who turns 25 later this month, had appeared in 17 games for the Yankees earlier this season, batting .153 with no home runs, seven RBIs and five stolen bases in 59 at-bats. He was batting .296 with three home runs, 32 RBIs and 37 stolen bases at Triple-A. Gardner said that his prior experience might help him in his second tour of duty.

"I'm obviously very excited," Gardner said. "I've been feeling really good down there and swinging the bat well. Hopefully I can continue some of that success I had down there at this level."

Sexson represented a low-risk acquisition for the Yankees, who signed the veteran to a contract on July 18 after he was cut loose by the Mariners. Primarily assigned to play first base against left-handed pitching, spelling Jason Giambi, Sexson didn't adjust with flying colors to a reserve role, hitting .250 with one home run and six RBIs in 22 games.

"We were going to get more versatile for our club, and we felt it was difficult what we were asking, in a sense, Richie to do," Girardi said. "Richie had never really done that."

Cashman said that he still believed Sexson could be an everyday player elsewhere in the league. If he signs elsewhere, another club would be responsible to pay only the pro-rated Major League minimum, as the Yankees had.

"Sporadic play, I don't think, is conducive to where he's at in this stage of his career," Cashman said.

Girardi said that Gardner will be offered playing time while he is up with the big league club, probably with outfield alignments similar to the one the Yankees used on Friday against Kansas City. Gardner started in center field while Johnny Damon served as the designated hitter, with Xavier Nady and Bobby Abreu manning corner outfield spots.

While on the road trip, Girardi had said that he also believed Damon was healthy enough to play center field on a regular basis as the Yankees try to make up their deficit -- 9 1/2 games behind the first-place Rays entering play Friday -- in the American League East.

It is likely that Cabrera will be recalled when rosters expand to 40 players on Sept. 1, though the Yankees would not rule out bringing him back sooner if necessary. The Yankees held on to Cabrera despite a number of trade proposals over the offseason, most notably in discussions with the Twins for Johan Santana. Cashman said that he did not regret that stance.

"Melky Cabrera, I believe personally, is without a doubt an everyday center fielder in the big leagues," Cashman said. "But he has struggled here for an extended period of time, which placed him in jeopardy to be sent down, because someone else behind the scenes named Brett Gardner has pushed himself into the conversation."

New York also made an additional roster move before Friday's game, placing right-hander Dan Giese on the 15-day disabled list with right shoulder tendinitis and recalling right-hander Chris Britton from Triple-A. Darrell Rasner will start on Tuesday in Giese's place, Girardi said.

Cashman said that the multiple moves were not made as a knee-jerk reaction to the Yankees' trip, on which they were swept in Anaheim and played one of their sloppiest games of the season on Wednesday at the Metrodome. He noted that the Yankees' inconsistencies went beyond Cabrera, the No. 9 hitter, and Sexson, who was brought in as a spare part.

"You can take Melky's name and change it with a lot of guys on this field right now that are making a hell of a lot more money," Cashman said. "They're better than what they've shown, too."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Surprised that they sent Melky down. Guess they had enough of Sexson too. Wonder who will pick him up now.