The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Gardner was groomed to be our ace CF. I always envisioned Melk as Manny in LF Melky... Manny... similar? Similar looking (when Manny was younger)... sometimes similar slumps :)

We try, we try... we'll see. It's looking very bleak, but I think it was a win win over all for NY if they made it or if they didn't make it. They made it, great. If they didn't make it, it was now time to shake up some things. Bye bye Abreu, Pavano, Mussina, Giambi. I'll have to see about some others as well, but thats alot of payroll right there to give some young guns a chance and/or sign someone else who wants to win.

Bartolo Colon reportedly left his rehab start on Friday due to an illness.

Perhaps he hit the pre-game buffet a little too hard. "He pitched one full inning, and he got sick," manager Terry Francona said. "That's all I have right now. We'll get more."

Ouch! Sounds like Francona has lost patience with Colon and his "rehab". He will almost never call out a player in the media like this.

Edit: Looks like Tito has softened hi comment, lol:

Colon is making his way back to the majors, but got sick to his stomach after the first inning last night and had to quit. "If a guy is supposed to throw 65 pitches and throws 15, and throws up, what are you going to do?" said manager Terry Francona.

Paul Byrd gets his Red Sox debut tonight (barring anymore rain).

So if the Yankees end up losing to the royals this afternoon, can we just scratch them off the rac efor the wild card, they could potentially finish like 4th in the East.

So if the Yankees end up losing to the royals this afternoon, can we just scratch them off the rac efor the wild card, they could potentially finish like 4th in the East.

It took them 13 innings but they won it. You didnt expect them to just go away quietly, did you?

I didnt recognize some of the names on the Yanks :huh:. Brett Gardner(?) singled to knock in the winning run.

^ Gardner is suppose to be a great prospect. Again, we'll see. Seeing how NY fired 2 of our scouts, who knows... We live another day... don't know by how much but hey..

Ugh.

The good news: Bay got some good practice in fielding balls off the green monster, and Clay Bucholtz got an audition as a middle reliever.

I think my good luck rubbed off on Adam Lind after I met him last weekend.....Marcum and halladay are a tough duo to beat, but in todays game it didn't matter who pitched for the jays I guess.

I think my good luck rubbed off on Adam Lind after I met him last weekend.....Marcum and halladay are a tough duo to beat, but in todays game it didn't matter who pitched for the jays I guess.

Why are the Jays so bad usually (obviously not today lol)? They're second in the AL for defence and have a great pitching staff. They should be a lot better than the standings say.

Wow, bad couple games for the sox, Byrd was a disappointment in his debut and as usual Beckett gets no run support, even though it wouldn't have mattered haha. Not trying to knock on the Jays, but if we want to get into the playoffs we need to beat them.

I've been in Rhode Island visiting family the past week, so it's been nice to be able to watch the sox on NESN everynight!

Wow, bad couple games for the sox, Byrd was a disappointment in his debut and as usual Beckett gets no run support, even though it wouldn't have mattered haha. Not trying to knock on the Jays, but if we want to get into the playoffs we need to beat them.

I've been in Rhode Island visiting family the past week, so it's been nice to be able to watch the sox on NESN everynight!

Beckett was only the tip of the iceberg of issues today. I just dont the see the Sox doing much in the post season (if they get there) if they dont start pitching better. Its been an issue all season long and I dont see it getting better anytime soon. That said, they certainly have enough starting pitching to carry them through the playoffs (provided Beckett doesnt fold up again), its when they go to the bullpen when I cringe.

NESN is great. I pay extra to get it down here in NC because the total in depth coverage of the Red Sox, Pats and Bruins is amazing. I dont feel like Im missing anything 700 miles away.

My Yanks did an awesome job for Moose today. Grand Slam by Giambi, 5 RBI's for Arod... man... Gardner with a RBI Triple... I watched on gameday, visiting my parents house. If this continues (Yanks win, Sox/Rays losing) who know, it might be a tight race for the AL East. I know,. 8 Games behind... who am I kidding, right? :)

Edit: Oh, and I believe Cody Ransom's first major league hit as a Yankee was a Homerun today. How's that!

Why are the Jays so bad usually (obviously not today lol)? They're second in the AL for defence and have a great pitching staff. They should be a lot better than the standings say.

Yea I always think that, pitching and defense is practically this team. However they are not good in close games, and they were awful offensively under Gibbons, the record under Cito is a lot better. Not to mention all the double plays with RISP (which you can relate to in this series,lol)

Offense isn't usually this good though, the game against Byrd is more typical of our offense, get an early lead and let the defense and pitching do the rest to hang on. But Lind and Rios are on fire, and our weaker hitters managed to get on base surprisingly.

My Yanks did an awesome job for Moose today. Grand Slam by Giambi, 5 RBI's for Arod... man... Gardner with a RBI Triple... I watched on gameday, visiting my parents house. If this continues (Yanks win, Sox/Rays losing) who know, it might be a tight race for the AL East. I know,. 8 Games behind... who am I kidding, right? :)

Edit: Oh, and I believe Cody Ransom's first major league hit as a Yankee was a Homerun today. How's that!

C23 your gutty team is hanging in there. I am impressed :)

As for my Dodgers, not a bad week. They almost choked another game away yesterday

but got the job done. The Can win the NL West but will they?

The Sox will bounce back IMO tonight with their best and most conistent pitcher in Lester.

We shall see.

Also on Tampa, boy am I impressed. You got a believer out of me. I think they will make

the playoffs for sure. They are very gritty and doing a great job. Kudos to them and their

fans that have stuck with them through some tough times over the years. (I know my

Whalers struggled and I even followed them here in NC :P )

It's times like these the Rays are glad they have a dome. They don't have to rain delay a couple of games because of Fay. Keep that hot streak going...

It's times like these the Rays are glad they have a dome. They don't have to rain delay a couple of games because of Fay. Keep that hot streak going...

Hey C23, whats the deal with Fay? Is Sanibel and Captiva going to get it.

Ooh yeah. It's still a tropical storm (60 mph winds, once they hit 75 then it's officially a hurricane). Still, even tropical storms can do damage. Winds strong enough to knock some things down, probably older power lines, storm surge from 5-7 feet... There's a voluntary evacuation for both. Tough to say. I can see some trees going down, which could cause power lines to break, destroy homes, block roadways, things of that nature... I don't expect houses to be blown away, but I'm sure there will be some damage.

As for us... got some water, PBJ and bread, lots of spaghettios, batteries and flashlights. The biggest witch is losing power. UGH! 94 flippin degrees with no air or a pool is NOT comfortable. Especially when you can't do anything because other places have no power. 4 years ago during Charley we lost power for 8 days and water for 5. People would goto work without a shower once they could go back to work. A cold shower was better than nothing in my case. At least with Wilma when the power went out, it was nice and cool. 60's to 70's with nice breezes. I can deal with that. You guys will probably get a lot of water down stuff (bada bing! :lol:) up there

You guys will probably get a lot of water down stuff (bada bing! :lol:) up there

Funny ;) No watered down info here. Remember, NC is hurricane (no pun intended) target too and we're no strangers to high wind, rain and power outages.

Stay safe.

Eh... we'll probably be outside tomorrow, trying to get some good footage, (we got AWESOME video of Charley and Wilma, but that was with our older MiniDV camera, which... has an unfortunate accident). We'll stay in/around/near/not too far from the house..

And yeah, I know you guys are use to them... but when I hear tropic storm, not in that mentality mode yet.. I hear Cat 2, then I start. I know there's not much of a difference, but for our location, we're pretty lucky. We have houses around that block air flow, no large large trees (we have 1 pine tree thats about.. 100 feet? Maybe more, not sure. Never tried measuring it) I know things can fly around and break through the window... but I've always wanted a reason to get new windows, that might work for me. ;)

Dealing with those storms has to be awful for you and your better half, caniac23. I'll keep you two and your fellow Floridians in my thoughts and prayers, the same way that folks on these boards do for me and Mr. G any time an earthquake or a fire strikes southern California.

If nothing else, the Rays weren't bothered by the storms; they just finished disposing of the Angels, 6-4. (Yes, I think the Angels peaked way too early. They're strong, but hardly a juggernaut. Take it from a baseball fan who sees all of their games on TV.) Just as the telecast was finishing, I saw a fan holding a sign that read "Holy Hinske." I agree with plenty of people on this thread: Wouldn't it be sweet to see the Rays make it to the postseason this year? ;)

Jan/GSBG

P.S. The Padres hauled out their fatigue-styled jersey tops yesterday ... just in time for their national appearance on ESPN's Sunday Night Baseball.

Jan, I saw that sign too (game was shown on FSN Florida or ESPN down here, dunno which one..)

Eh, this storms not making me nervous... doors opening bythemselves like the one that just opened by itself right now to my right.... THAT freaks me out! :)

I might be foolish or dumb, but this one doesn't worry me too much. We have 2 more right BEHIND it that worries me. 3 tropical storms/Cat 1/2 could take its toll after a while...

Marcus would be so proud right now. I've finished 1 and a 1/2 2 liters of Coke tonight... Kinda keeping myself awake just to whatever .... but, we saw that weatherchannel.com guy Jim Cantore (sp?) in Naples earlier.. well, south Fort Myers first, but it was too crowded so he "Received" an emptier beach on Naples somewhere. Either way, I didn't know who the heck Jim Cantore was 5 years ago, but now, whenever I see him I'm like "Ah *edit*, another one is coming?!?!?!"

A much needed win by the sox. Lester has a great outing again. Nice to see Bay hitting like that, especially when we needed it. Varitek getting a homer was a pleasant surprise, also nice to see him hitting the ball.

Jan, I saw that sign too (game was shown on FSN Florida or ESPN down here, dunno which one..)

Eh, this storms not making me nervous... doors opening bythemselves like the one that just opened by itself right now to my right.... THAT freaks me out! :)

I might be foolish or dumb, but this one doesn't worry me too much. We have 2 more right BEHIND it that worries me. 3 tropical storms/Cat 1/2 could take its toll after a while...

No matter, caniac23, I'm glad to hear that you two are hanging in there so far. Thanks truly for keeping me posted.

Marcus would be so proud right now. I've finished 1 and a 1/2 2 liters of Coke tonight...

(A note from GSBG: Please take it easy on Coke, as well as any carbonated drinks. My mom, who turned 84 this year, drank soda without abandon during her teens and 20s, and she's lost about four inches of height because of osteoporosis. Since I've now become her part-time caregiver, I'm scared about getting it myself -- that's why I stay off soda. Bottom line: Do yourself and Mrs. Papows the favor of your lives, and ditch cola ASAP. Trust me: My mom wishes she'd never touched the stuff. :( )

Kinda keeping myself awake just to whatever .... but, we saw that weatherchannel.com guy Jim Cantore (sp?) in Naples earlier.. well, south Fort Myers first, but it was too crowded so he "Received" an emptier beach on Naples somewhere. Either way, I didn't know who the heck Jim Cantore was 5 years ago, but now, whenever I see him I'm like "Ah *edit*, another one is coming?!?!?!"

Mr. GSBG is a Weather Channel junkie, so we've become familiar with Cantore here. (No wonder: Every time a 5.0 shaker or an out-of-control wildfire hits SoCal, it's sure to be reported nationwide on The Weather Channel. Bet on it. :P ) Anyway, we've spent many an evening checking out what'll be in store for our region the next week or so. Hang in there, caniac23, and keep us posted on how you and your better half are faring.

Jan/GSBG

Power is starting to go out every now and then... so that'll suck if we have no power for a while.

I'm not usually that much a coke drinker. I prefer pepsi. But I've been big on water for a while now, so thats the good thing. Besides, I think I just wanted the soda out so I could fill the 2liter with water and freeze it.

Power is starting to go out every now and then... so that'll suck if we have no power for a while.

I'm not usually that much a coke drinker. I prefer pepsi. But I've been big on water for a while now, so thats the good thing. Besides, I think I just wanted the soda out so I could fill the 2liter with water and freeze it.

Good luck C23. I hope you dont get hit too hard.