The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

hank821.jpg

lol, Everybody hates the Yankees, including the media... that's why I've got to drink my troubles away.

BTW, Did I mention how he looks like a drunken, staggering idiot in that pic? Moron.

I don't know who this is, but damn he looks like a Steinbrenner. How awful it must be that the look carries over from generation to generation.

That alleged "baserunner interference" call in the 10th inning of the Chicago/Tampa game today is the worst judgment call I've seen this season. Just AWFUL. A.J. Pieceofs***ski is caught in a pickle, and out of desperation, slings his arm out to hit Willy Aybar (unsuccessfully) as he runs him down... and then FALLS DOWN OVER HIS OWN FEET. So what do the umps do? Give him third base.

This call, the bogus call on Upton the other night when he overran first base, and the bang bang play at third when they threw Chone Figgins out the other night (that one I can excuse given how close it was) makes you wonder...

That was a horrible call, period. :rolleyes: AJ Per-howeveryouspellit-inski is like the Sean Avery of the MLB. There's just nothing to like about the guy.

Rays will be fine and I cant imagine them not taking the division. I think they'll do well in the playoffs too cause good pitching wins playoff games. Even if the Sox make it in, there pitching has been too suspect all year and show no signs of straightening anything out.

AL central is definately the hot race to watch.

I see the Rays definatley making the playoffs. They have been awesome all season

and for the Rays fans good for you. You DESERVE a playoff team.

I just want to see the Sox get in as well, but if not, (to me at least)

no biggie as we are becoming spoiled with all the success around here.

Some fans around here are so negative around here. I try to tell them

that you could be a fan of say the Pittsburgh Pirates or KC Royals that

are bad every year since the early 90s etc.

be grateful when you have a good team. ( I am and was when the Broncos

used to be good, now they are average at best )

on another front, I just hope my inconsistend Dodgers can win

one game in a row tonight (on espn2) for me.

they are frustrating lateley and have blown chances to move

up as the D backs have given them some openings.

Some fans around here are so negative around here. I try to tell them

that you could be a fan of say the Pittsburgh Pirates or KC Royals that

are bad every year since the early 90s etc.

Or the Padres? :lol:

on another front, I just hope my inconsistend Dodgers can win

one game in a row tonight (on espn2) for me.

they are frustrating lateley and have blown chances to move

up as the D backs have given them some openings.

They're as consistent as any players young enough to feel more comfortable at triple-A can be, medford. Have patience, and know that they're dang lucky to be a .500 crew with so many guys in their regular lineup just removed from the Las Vegas 51s, as well as a starter (Clayton Kershaw) barely old enough to shave.

Jan/GSBG

Or the Padres? :lol:

They're as consistent as any players young enough to feel more comfortable at triple-A can be, medford. Have patience, and know that they're dang lucky to be a .500 crew with so many guys in their regular lineup just removed from the Las Vegas 51s, as well as a starter (Clayton Kershaw) barely old enough to shave.

Jan/GSBG

I understand Jan as you see them much more than I do. ;)

Here are my points, however:

their lineup has plenty of veterans to get the job done.

btw I love Kershaws talent very much so and wished he was pitching

tonight when I actually get to see LA for a change.

Manny, Blake, Nomar, Jeff Kent, Kemp (3rd season) Russel Martin (3rd full season)

should be more consistent, especially on the road where they look like the

are using wiffle ball bats the last week, vs not a great Philly pitching staff

and definatley not a great Rocky staff

its their bullpen that is bad. They miss Sato so much. Broxton is a heart attack every time he pitches.

he is why you dont have to throw 100 MPH to be a great closer. Rivera to me the best closer of all time

throws 95 mph but with movement and never walks anyone. Heart attack Broxton is all over the place

and has not been good as a closer. He is better as a set up for the more consistent Sato.

Also Furcal being hurt has killed them.

I am just sad because the NL West is very winnable and with a healthy Dodger team

I felt they would have done that. Now they will be lucky to be 500 :(

I understand Jan as you see them much more than I do. ;)

I do, medford -- 162 times a year, all on the tube.

Here are my points, however:

their lineup has plenty of veterans to get the job done.

Kent is obviously looking at these final five weeks of the regular season as his five final weeks of his career. Sadly, his bat speed has slowed dramatically the last couple of years; it's clear that the addition of ManRam has rejuvenated him for his personal final stretch drive.

btw I love Kershaws talent very much so and wished he was pitching

tonight when I actually get to see LA for a change.

That's all he is right now: talent. It'll take him some years to put things together. Remember, of course, he is 20.

its their bullpen that is bad. They miss Saito so much. Broxton is a heart attack every time he pitches.

That's 'cause Big John is meant to be a setup guy, not a closer. He's the best option (for realsies) the Dodgers have until Saito returns. (Sheesh, I think Big John's about to have a heart attack himself on the hill -- he's that hefty. :o )

he is why you dont have to throw 100 MPH to be a great closer.

Don't forget vintage Trevor Hoffman, medford: At his zenith, he tossed his "Bugs Bunny" changeup at a blazing 77 mph. ;)

I am just sad because the NL West is very winnable and with a healthy Dodger team

I felt they would have done that. Now they will be lucky to be 500 :(

I hear you, brother baseball fan; it's never fun when your club stumbles onto itself all year long. But ponder an alternative: being me, a Padre fan since 1973.

Fans on the Pads' message board (which I really hope you've read in my aforementioned link ;) ) are cheering for their boys to reach 100 losses this season. :o One line from a poster named aardvark6 made me laugh so hard I nearly spat a piece of chewed-up sandwich onto my computer screen: "They really need to step it up (down) to reach that peak (valley)." Priceless gallows humor! :lol:

Jan/GSBG

NEW HAVEN, Conn. -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out. The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

Officials for the three-year-old league, which has eight teams and about 100 players, said they will disband Jericho's team, redistributing its players among other squads, and offered to refund $50 sign-up fees to anyone who asks for it. They say Jericho's coach, Wilfred Vidro, has resigned.

But Vidro says he didn't quit and the team refuses to disband. Players and parents held a protest at the league's field on Saturday urging the league to let Jericho pitch.

"He's never hurt any one," Vidro said. "He's on target all the time. How can you punish a kid for being too good?"

The controversy bothers Jericho, who says he misses pitching.

"I feel sad," he said. "I feel like it's all my fault nobody could play."

Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

Jericho instead joined a team sponsored by Will Power Fitness. The team was 8-0 and on its way to the playoffs when Jericho was banned from pitching.

"I think it's discouraging when you're telling a 9-year-old you're too good at something," said his mother, Nicole Scott. "The whole objective in life is to find something you're good at and stick with it. I'd rather he spend all his time on the baseball field than idolizing someone standing on the street corner."

League attorney Peter Noble says the only factor in banning Jericho from the mound is his pitches are just too fast.

"He is a very skilled player, a very hard thrower," Noble said. "There are a lot of beginners. This is not a high-powered league. This is a developmental league whose main purpose is to promote the sport."

Noble acknowledged that Jericho had not beaned any batters in the co-ed league of 8- to 10-year-olds, but say parents expressed safety concerns.

"Facing that kind of speed" is frighteneing for beginning players, Noble said.

League officials say they first told Vidro that the boy could not pitch after a game on Aug. 13. Jericho played second base the next game on Aug. 16. But when he took the mound Wednesday, the other team walked off and a forfeit was called.

League officials say Jericho's mother became irate, threatening them and vowing to get the league shut down.

"I have never seen behavior of a parent like the behavior Jericho's mother exhibited Wednesday night," Noble said.

Scott denies threatening any one, but said she did call the police.

League officials suggested that Jericho play other positions, or pitch against older players or in a different league.

Local attorney John Williams was planning to meet with Jericho's parents Monday to discuss legal options.

"You don't have to be learned in the law to know in your heart that it's wrong," he said. "Now you have to be punished because you excel at something?"

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=715040

I do not understand how they can punish a little boy like that just because he is to good. I thought you were suppos to be good to play sports. Maybe that is just me thow.

Hmmm, Dodgers are really struggling as of late. Could it be that the "Manny Honeymoon" is over? He went the big 0-4 tonight and has left countless guys in scoring position over the last few games. Where's Mr. Clutch now? Does he still love LA, or is he already setting his sights on the Big Apple?

Sorry Medford, but I'd be lying if I didnt admit to enjoying this a little. I do think Kemp and Ethier are the real deals, Id love to see them in red someday. ;)

Hmmm, Dodgers are really struggling as of late. Could it be that the "Manny Honeymoon" is over?

Doubtful, TSA: I watch all of the Dodgers' 162 games on the tube (I'd just said that to medford earlier today), and can point out that Manny's attitude is as upbeat as ever.

To a major extent, it's his younger teammates who are melting in these humid dog days -- and, yes, SoCal has become extremely muggy this summer <_< guys who seem, IMHO, who seem to be a bit intimidated with the notion of taking the NL West lead. The kids are talented; however, with the exception of all-star catcher Russell Martin, they're still pretty raw ... including starter Clayton Kershaw, who's 20 but looks 15.

I, too, am disappointed to see the Blue faltering like this, but their slide can't be placed on ManRam's shoulders. (By the way, he's cut his dreds about six inches shorter.)

Jan/GSBG

Doubtful, TSA: I watch all of the Dodgers' 162 games on the tube (I'd just said that to medford earlier today), and can point out that Manny's attitude is as upbeat as ever.

Oops, forgot my sarcasm warning. I realize that Manny isnt going to carry the Dodgers into the post season single handedly. Im still pretty peaved about the fact that Manny has gotten away with a breach of contract by withholding services. And it appears he'll have no consequences. It would give me great pleasure to see him fail in LA ( though I highly doubt that will happen).

tonights the big series,,,

Kinda nervous for both sides, the reprecussions for the loser aren't pretty.

From the Globe:

Tonight (7:05): RHP Tim Wakefield (7-8, 3.67 ERA) vs. LHP Andy Pettitte (13-9, 4.17).

Tomorrow (7:05): RHP Paul Byrd (8-11, 4.61) vs. RHP Sidney Ponson (7-4, 4.67).

Thursday (1:05): LHP Jon Lester (12-5, 3.49) vs. RHP Mike Mussina (16-7, 3.45).

Head to head: The teams have split 12 games this season; they will play at Fenway in the last series of the regular season, Sept. 26-28.

Miscellany: Twelve of the Yankees' remaining 32 games are against Boston and Tampa Bay . . . New York is 20-15 since the All Star break, but 11-11 in August . . . Before Derek Jeter's 0 for 5 Sunday against the Orioles, he had hit in nine straight games, batting .463 during that stretch.

The Red Sox have had production issues in the outfield, and then they lost one of their best bats on Tuesday. They may be addressing those issues.

Sources told ESPN's Peter Gammons and ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Tuesday that the team is on the verge of acquiring center fielder Mark Kotsay from the Atlanta Braves.

Boston is talking to Kotsay, who was held out of the Braves lineup on Tuesday, about his limited no-trade clause. ESPN.com has learned that Kotsay cleared waivers earlier this month, so the Braves can trade him to any team.

The 12-year veteran is batting .289 with six home runs and 37 RBIs this season. His on-base percentage is .338, compared to .319 for Red Sox center fielder Coco Crisp, who is batting .257.

A move for Kotsay could be in response to earlier news on Tuesday that right fielder J.D. Drew was heading to the disabled list with a lower back strain. The All-Star was batting .289 with 19 homers and 64 RBIs.

The Red Sox entered Tuesday's play 4

YEAH! THAT'S why Molina is catching, and not Irod! Lo-jacked Coco! ;) (hey, we're losing 7-3 right now, I need SOMETHING to cheer about! :) )

^^Saw that on dirtdogs. Drew is on the DL now effective Aug 18th and will be eligible for return in a week. Bartolo Colon is a waste of space and has been transferred to the 60day DL. Beckett will be ready on Friday. Brandon Moss would have looked pretty good about now. <_<

Here's the latest on Kotsay:

ESPN.com reports that the Red Sox are close to a deal with the Braves for Mark Kotsay.

It sounds like a trade might have been agreed to. However, Boston is in Kotsay's limited no-trade clause and still needs to get him to accept a deal. Kotsay would probably get playing time over Coco Crisp while J.D. Drew is out if he accepts the deal. He'd stand to receive fewer at-bats when everyone is healthy. The Phillies are also believed to be interested in him. If the Braves move him, they'd likely play Brandon Jones in left field, with Gregor Blanco in center for now. They could call up Jordan Schafer next month to start.

Come on guys! Let's hear the chant! "Let's Go Yang-Keys!" (clap. clap. clap clap clap)

Come on... Bases loaded for Arod, I have to cheer somehow... ;)

And just like A-Rod to choke :lol:

Come on guys! Let's hear the chant! "Let's Go Yang-Keys!" (clap. clap. clap clap clap)

Edit: Nevermind that... Masterson silences Arod, and 55k people with just 2 pitches. Genius.... I'll be gone for the remainder of the season, drinking...

Arod sure gets a lot of boos lately from Yankee Universe. :o

surrender.gif

Not a good night for you at all. Great emo, lol.

At least we have the marquis match up of Ponson/Byrd tomorrow :P

surrender.gif I think we've surrendered this year to you, Boston...

Of course.... this has been me all night... soapbox.gif

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Really gotta give it to the Yank offense tonight.. Sox weren't bad taking every advantage they could get...

Is it possible that Arod got more boos than Papelbon tonight?

Kotsay scratched from lineup Tuesday

No medical explanation given, outfielder may be Boston-bound

By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

ATLANTA -- When the Braves scratched Mark Kotsay from Tuesday night's lineup against the Marlins, they didn't provide a medical explanation, but there's certainly a chance they could make another announcement about him later in the night.

The Red Sox are among the teams that have shown interest in acquiring Kotsay, and they decided to place right fielder J.D. Drew on the disabled list with a lower back strain on Tuesday.

When told early Tuesday evening that the Red Sox were close to announcing Drew had been disabled, Kotsay responded by saying he wouldn't be surprised if a trade was completed within the next couple of hours.

Kotsay has hit .305 with five homers and 29 RBIs in 79 games with the Braves this year. During a five-hit performance against the Cubs on Aug. 14, the 32-year-old outfielder became just the second player in Atlanta history to hit for the cycle.

Edit: Yahoo is reporting its a done deal pending a physical. Kotsay in exchange for a minor league pitcher un-named. Are they giving up on Buchholtz???

NEW YORK – The Boston Red Sox acquired outfielder Mark Kotsay from the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday night pending a physical, according to a baseball source with knowledge of the deal. The Braves will receive a minor-league pitcher in return.

The Red Sox acquired Kotsay, who had cleared waivers, as outfield insurance. Earlier Tuesday they placed right-fielder J.D. Drew on the 15-day disabled list with a herniated disk in his back.

Kotsay, 32, is batting .289 with six home runs and 37 RBIs in 318 at-bats this season. The Red Sox will be his fifth team in his 12-year career.

Officials from both teams would not confirm that the deal was complete.