The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Edit: Yahoo is reporting its a done deal pending a physical. Kotsay in exchange for a minor league pitcher un-named. Are they giving up on Buchholtz???

Can't believe they'd do that. It's gotta be some B-level guy like Hansack or David Pauley or someone like that.

Can't believe they'd do that. It's gotta be some B-level guy like Hansack or David Pauley or someone like that.

Mark Kotsay - ATL

A source told Gordon Edes of Yahoo! Sports that the Red Sox have acquired Mark Kotsay for a minor league pitcher.

The deal is pending a physical, but Edes doesn't seem to think there are any NTC issues that will cause a holdup. Kotsay has hit .289/.338/.418 this year, and he still plays a fair center field when his back is healthy. He'll be decent to have around as insurance if the Red Sox aren't giving up anything of consequence, but it's doubtful that Boston is looking at him as anything beyond a stopgap for the final five weeks.

Double-Play Rod Helps Sox take down the Yankees

New York Daily News

"It was an awful night. For me, personally, it was a long night. I pretty much screwed it up any way you can screw it up." -- 08.26.08, Alex Rodriguez

Rodriguez went 0 for 5 with two double plays, two strikeouts and a throwing error in the Yankees

THAT'S why Molina is catching ...

When in catching need, call on a Molina. :)

The Angels were lucky enough to have the oldest two of The Three Flying Molinas, Bengie and Jose, on their roster for several years. I'm a huge fan of terrific defensive work behind the plate -- always have been, and always will be -- so it's great to see one of the brothers getting noticed for his defense in the majors' brightest spotlight. ;)

Jan/GSBG

Red Sox get Kotsay

The Red Sox today officially acquired outfielder Mark Kotsay from the Atlanta Braves in exchange for minor league outfielder Luis Sumoza.

Kotsay is expected to join the team in New York and will wear No. 11. According to MLB.com, he was hoping to make it to Yankee Stadium in time for tonight's game (he was trying to catch a flight from Atlanta to New York).

The 32-year-old is batting .289 with 6 homers and 37 RBIs in 81 games this season.

"To be with the Red Sox will be cool," Kotsay told MLB.com. "I've always said there were a couple of teams I'd like to play for, with Atlanta being one of them. But I'm looking forward to joining the Red Sox and being in the pennant race."

According to Foxsports.com, Kotsay will receive a $325,000 bonus for agreeing to waive his no-trade clause for the Red Sox, one of eight teams reportedly on his no-trade list.

The Kotsay deal gives the Red Sox some needed depth in the outfield. Right fielder J.D. Drew went on the disabled list yesterday with a back strain, retroactive to Aug. 18. He came out of a game on the 17th after injuring himself backing up Jacoby Ellsbury in the field.

The 20-year-old Sumoza is hitting .301 with 11 homers and 38 RBIs for the Single-A Lowell Spinners.

Hey the Twins beat the M's!

:rolleyes:

Thank God. For a team doing as well as the Twins have been doing, the M's have really handled us at their park. Losing streak was 4 games coming into today; so odd considering our great fifteen game roadtrip start against the A's where we won the first two.

Then again, all season long we've been much better at home than on the road...and that my friends is a good measure against which teams are really playoff teams and which are not. We've exceeded expectations this year, but I don't think that we're gonna make it.

It'll be close though. Fun (and nerve-racking) to watch. Baseball at its best, I guess. The pennant races.

but that's okay because it's awesome

I agree, Im all for replay. The war room for MLB will be in NY and the crew chief reserves the right to ask for the review.

What Im wondering is what exactly will Ozzie Guien have to throw a hissy fit about if a call gets reviewed?

I said it last night, and I was right. Ponson went 4 and 2/3 innings... Once bay got that double, dassit. 8th inning was HORRENDOUS! How terrible could 2 pitchers be?!?!And Jeter/Abreu/Arod... ground out, ground out ground out... and Abreu "hitting" the wall.... Elsbury was perfect in getting that ball. Same with the Rays outfielder who slammed in the wall and caught the final out.

Drop the dead weight, get guys who are STARVING! Bye Abreu, Giambi (he hits homers, but that's it, I want defense WITH offense, not offense without defense.) Melky. I see the Yanks getting Sabathia any way possible.

I agree, Im all for replay. The war room for MLB will be in NY and the crew chief reserves the right to ask for the review.

What Im wondering is what exactly will Ozzie Guien have to throw a hissy fit about if a call gets reviewed?

I that "because its awesome" line in the first post a long time ago actually. Never bothered to edit it. I'm pretty ambivalent about the way they're implementing it. But I'm pretty staunch that it shouldn't be expanded beyond what it is. This would be a slippery slope and the last thing we need is games to be even longer than they are. Just think, Yankee-Red Sox games could take six hours instead of the usual four.

I that "because its awesome" line in the first post a long time ago actually. Never bothered to edit it. I'm pretty ambivalent about the way they're implementing it. But I'm pretty staunch that it shouldn't be expanded beyond what it is. This would be a slippery slope and the last thing we need is games to be even longer than they are. Just think, Yankee-Red Sox games could take six hours instead of the usual four.

What I dont get is why they chose now. I like the idea of getting the calls right but why implement it now when its probably going to need to get the kinks worked out, when the games all mean the most this time of the year? And what about all those blown calls that could have changed the outcome of some games?

What I dont get is why they chose now. I like the idea of getting the calls right but why implement it now when its probably going to need to get the kinks worked out, when the games all mean the most this time of the year? And what about all those blown calls that could have changed the outcome of some games?

Yeah, IMO the timing smacks of this being very reactionary. They've been against replay for so long, then there are a few highly publicized missed calls and all of a sudden they're all gung-ho about it.

I said it last night, and I was right. Ponson went 4 and 2/3 innings... Once bay got that double, dassit. 8th inning was HORRENDOUS! How terrible could 2 pitchers be?!?!And Jeter/Abreu/Arod... ground out, ground out ground out... and Abreu "hitting" the wall.... Elsbury was perfect in getting that ball. Same with the Rays outfielder who slammed in the wall and caught the final out.

Drop the dead weight, get guys who are STARVING! Bye Abreu, Giambi (he hits homers, but that's it, I want defense WITH offense, not offense without defense.) Melky. I see the Yanks getting Sabathia any way possible.

C23 it tough when the Yanks gotta depend on a stiff like Ponson. He is dreadful

and there is a reason why he has bounced around so much.

NY has made the playoffs since 1994 every year was due to have at least one

year of a bit of a struggle IMHO. Like I told my dad tonight they will be back

and awesome next year when they do get a Sabbathia and get Wang, Posada back

and maybe Hughes deveolps like we all expect him too.

at least your team is not a choking Dog like my pathetic Dodgers who cant even

beat the bad Nationals. They are cooked like burnt toast :(

and on my Bronco board I was accused of not being a real fan becuase I tell the

truth, I hate blind homers more than anything that root for laundry and dont

critique their teams based on performance not . I love my team even if they

lost 20 in a row, I support them bla bla bla. Dont get me wrong I support my team

but if they are crappy I say it.

Taking 2 out of 3 from the Yankees was all well and good, but Beckett is now being pushed back again. DiceK is being moved up and David Pauley might get a start.

We go nowhere in the post season without Beckett :(.

Taking 2 out of 3 from the Yankees was all well and good, but Beckett is now being pushed back again. DiceK is being moved up and David Pauley might get a start.

We go nowhere in the post season without Beckett :(.

BOSTON -- All things considered, from Red Sox manager Terry Francona's perspective, Josh Beckett's trip to see orthopedist Dr. James Andrews in Birmingham, Ala., for his ailing right elbow could be summed up in one word.

"Awesome," Francona said with a smile. "I guess from our standpoint. I don't know if he used that word."

The Red Sox announced on Friday that they placed their ace right-hander on the 15-day disabled list with a right elbow strain, retroactive to Aug. 18 -- one day after the righty allowed eight runs over 2 1/3 innings to the Blue Jays. That means he's eligible to come off the DL on Wednesday, and Francona said he hopes Beckett can start next Friday on the road against the Rangers.

Beckett arrived back to Fenway Park just before Boston's Friday tilt against the White Sox, and he was thoroughly happy with his trip to see Andrews. He went through the gauntlet: stress tests, a dye injection, MRI, etc. Everything came back clean.

"It was a big relief," Beckett said. "I don't trust anyone more than I trust him when it comes to this stuff."

The move opened up a roster spot for catcher David Ross to join the club before Friday's contest with Chicago. Ross was slated to arrive on Friday afternoon and be ready for the game, meaning Boston will have three catchers on its roster for the time being.

Francona said that Beckett recently threw a side session before heading to see Andrews, and the Red Sox skipper was rather pleased with the result. Still, the team wanted to make sure all doubts were out of Beckett's head before it moved forward with his recovery.

No one blamed Beckett for his concern.

"I think he just wanted to go down there and reassure himself that he's OK," Red Sox left-hander Jon Lester said. "I don't blame him at all. He makes his living off his arm. You want to make sure everything is OK."

Beckett is having a rather unconventional year by his standards, given his 11-9 record and 4.34 ERA. But no one will dismiss how valuable he can be to the Red Sox in their quest to go deep in the postseason.

Lifetime in the playoffs, Beckett is 6-2 with a 1.73 ERA. During last season's postseason run with the Sox, the right-hander went 4-0 with a 1.20 ERA.

"Fair scenario -- he throws that first day in Texas, a week from today," Francona said. "Looking at the rest of the year, that'd be a great day to start him back up and get back into the rotation."

Will this give Beckett peace of mind moving forward that his arm is ready to compete again?

"He said my ligament looked fine," Beckett said. "That's what I was afraid of, my ligament. Tommy John surgery, obviously a lot of people come back from it, but it takes a long time. That's what I was afraid of, with the stuff I was having going on."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080829&content_id=3385591&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb' target="_blank">http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb[/post]

Well atleast there is some good news on Beckett.

I'm really quite baffled how the.... I'm speechless, as I have been the last couple of months. In a sense, I hope we don't make the PO's... this way the FO will see what's going on, get rid of some dead weight, and get some hungry players.

Good first win for Bowden.

Theo has done such a wonderful job bringing in young players to play on the Sox.

Pedrioa, Papelbon, Lester, Lowrie, Ellsbury, Masterson and now Bowden.

This bodes well for the future for the Sox as they dont have to try to just bring in FAs.

Bard from AA is coming next season as well. He throws fire and would be a welcome addition to the bullpen.

and tonight is looking so good that my Dodgers might win one in a row lol