The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Can I ask a question?

How can a team that got swept by the pathetic Nationals beat Haren and Webb on back to back nights.

boy are the Dodgers inconsistent but it was fun to see them tonight.

I hope for the best, we shall see.

Sox are still in good shape but the Rays are on a roll now and seem like to have a lot of magic this

year. they are not losing the East IMO. I feel that the Rays will play the Angles in the ALCS

Meds, watching the game on ESPN the other for a little bit, I still couldn't gather that NY/BOS dodgers... Forget the L.A. Dodgers, it's now the New Bost Dodgers. Lowe, Ramirez, Nomar, Torre (hey, that's ALOT of NY there)...

Some posters at the Yanks board have gotten an idea for trading Cano to LA for Matt Kemp. I'm not a huge fan of either, but then I don't know Kemp that well. Not straight forward trade, but maybe Cano, Kennedy + for Kemp +. I don't see it happening, but hey... Do team Blue (Yanks, Dodgers, Rays)

Meds, watching the game on ESPN the other for a little bit, I still couldn't gather that NY/BOS dodgers... Forget the L.A. Dodgers, it's now the New Bost Dodgers. Lowe, Ramirez, Nomar, Torre (hey, that's ALOT of NY there)...

Some posters at the Yanks board have gotten an idea for trading Cano to LA for Matt Kemp. I'm not a huge fan of either, but then I don't know Kemp that well. Not straight forward trade, but maybe Cano, Kennedy + for Kemp +. I don't see it happening, but hey... Do team Blue (Yanks, Dodgers, Rays)

I love Cano and would welome him to LA. Kemp has tons of potential and has somewhat fulfilled it this year but

still needs to grow. Team Blue is okay by me ;) (also for my uncle the Cubbies as well)

(but I do like the Sox still, dont hold it against me ;) )

I've been off the grid for a couple days so I'm a bit out of the loop, but has anyone seen the Instant Replay system in action yet? How did it go?

warbird, I have not seen it as of yet.

They should have used it for that pathetic call of a hit on Sabbathias near no-no at Pitt.

He fumbled that swining bunt and would have throw out the runner easily IMO.

but it is only for HR calls. MLB is in the dark ages compared to the NFL and NHL when it

comes to replay. They should have a challenge like the NFL does and it works well IMO.

Yeah, I think IR should be involved in everything possible. Not so much with balls and strikes because then why would we need umpires? Close plays at the bases, yeah, controversial calls (a la A.J. Pierzynski and Tampa Bay) and what not.

Good night for Med. The Sox are looking good with Pedroia having another awesome day at the plate with 5 RbI

and the Dodgers with their schitzoid tendencies have climbed back to 1 1/2 games with their 4th win in a row. Whoda thunk it. They are not that great but the NL West is putrid so they might still steal the division just yet.

I've officially decided that whatever happens this season for the Red Sox, I'll be satisfied as a fan. The gutsy and gritty play has not only kept them in the race while several of the veterans are down, but has given so many of the young players a chance to prove themselves at the MLB level. The drafting and development is unbelievable and the Sox keep churning out kid after kid who find ways to contribute when needed the most.

If you told me that after losing Lowell, Youk, Beckett, Papi, Lugo, JD and Manny that they'd be in 1st for the wild card and still maiking a run for the division, Id think it was crazy. These guys never stop playing and will do anything for the win.

The pick ups by Theo of Bay, Byrd and Kotsay have all paid dividends and the players that needed to step up like Pedroia have been impressive to watch. I dont know how far they will go this year but seeing this kind of baseball being played in a race this tight has sure made it fun to be a fan. This division should be very exciting and tight for years to come.

I've officially decided that whatever happens this season for the Red Sox, I'll be satisfied as a fan. The gutsy and gritty play has not only kept them in the race while several of the veterans are down, but has given so many of the young players a chance to prove themselves at the MLB level. The drafting and development is unbelievable and the Sox keep churning out kid after kid who find ways to contribute when needed the most.

If you told me that after losing Lowell, Youk, Beckett, Papi, Lugo, JD and Manny that they'd be in 1st for the wild card and still maiking a run for the division, Id think it was crazy. These guys never stop playing and will do anything for the win.

The pick ups by Theo of Bay, Byrd and Kotsay have all paid dividends and the players that needed to step up like Pedroia have been impressive to watch. I dont know how far they will go this year but seeing this kind of baseball being played in a race this tight has sure made it fun to be a fan. This division should be very exciting and tight for years to come.

I could not agree with you more TSA. As a hugh Red Sox fan I would love to see them repeat this seasn. I know they will not but like you said for all the injurys they have had this season with key players being out they have to be giving alot of credit to be even in the hunt for a playoff spot. I too will be satisfied.

I could not agree with you more TSA. As a hugh Red Sox fan I would love to see them repeat this seasn. I know they will not but like you said for all the injurys they have had this season with key players being out they have to be giving alot of credit to be even in the hunt for a playoff spot. I too will be satisfied.

I still think they can repeat if Beckett comes back healthy and

Lowell and Drew contribute some.

California and Tampa will be tough but the Sox are well rounded and very experienced as well.

We shall see. Great win again today as well. :D

ps that blue team out West has looked better as well. ;)

I still think they can repeat if Beckett comes back healthy and

Lowell and Drew contribute some.

California and Tampa will be tough but the Sox are well rounded and very experienced as well.

We shall see. Great win again today as well. :D

ps that blue team out West has looked better as well. ;)

That Blue team out west is that the team that one player went to darn what is his name oh Manny Ramirez :lol: Just kidding.

That Blue team out west is that the team that one player went to darn what is his name oh Manny Ramirez :lol: Just kidding.

That blue team out west with the player we wont speak of is doing a little better lately. The Red Sox have gone 21-9 since losing that player we dont speak of. Just saying..... ;)

That blue team out west with the player we wont speak of is doing a little better lately. The Red Sox have gone 21-9 since losing that player we dont speak of. Just saying..... ;)

You mean M____ R_____:lol::lol:

Said player is still someone that I dont like but root for the team colors. Like Sean Avery being on the Canes

or even Rodney Harrison being on the Broncos :lol:

as Craig Mustard of EEI says. "We root for laundry" Aint that the truth. ;)

MILWAUKEE -- After further review, the ruling on the field stands.

Major League Baseball's scoring review committee convened Wednesday and upheld a call by official scorer Bob Webb during Sunday's Brewers-Pirates game at PNC Park, denying the Brewers and left-hander CC Sabathia what would have been a strange, retroactive no-hitter. The Brewers appealed for Andy LaRoche's infield hit -- Pittsburgh's only hit off Sabathia in the game -- to be changed to an error.

Instead, Sabathia will have to settle for a one-hit shutout. Left-hander Juan Nieves retains the distinction as the only Brewer to pitch a no-hitter.

According to MLB's statement, "The committee held an extensive and constructive discussion after viewing footage of the play in question and considering the documentation presented by the Brewers. It was the collective decision of the committee that the judgment of the scorer was not 'clearly erroneous,' which is the standard set forth in Official Scoring Rule 10.01(a), and thus did not meet the criteria for League reversal of the call."

Sabathia did get good news on Wednesday, when he was named the National League's Pitcher of the Month for August. He won the same award in July after a trade from Cleveland to Milwaukee.

Brewers officials had more in mind. They sent a package to MLB's offices in New York that included footage of the play in question -- a slow roller to the third-base side of the pitcher's mound that was fumbled by Sabathia -- and a written explanation of why the play should have been called an error.

"Major League Baseball appreciates the work that official scorers do throughout the season," said Phyllis Merhige, MLB's senior vice president for club relations. "Bob Webb is a 20-year veteran scorer who is held in high regard. This play is a reminder of the difficult decisions that official scorers face."

Brewers general manager Doug Melvin responded to the ruling in his own statement.

"We appreciate the opportunity offered by the league to have plays reviewed," Melvin said. "While we had hoped for a different outcome, we understand that an official scorer's role is very difficult. We thank Major League Baseball and the committee for taking the time to consider our request, and we continue to move forward with a focus on winning games down the stretch."

Since Sunday's win, the Brewers were swept in a three-game series against the Mets. Sabathia's next start is Friday against the Padres

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

I do not know about you guys but I agree with this decsison. I thought it was a hit from the moment I saw it. What do you guys think.

Tough call, its hard to make an assumption about something that didnt happen. I understand why the call stands but it did look suspect. At least he blew the no-no himself and one of his teamates didnt do it to him.

Yanks/Rays draw the first crack at instant replay..... does Arod get his homerun which will make the score 8-3?

Review took 2 minutes and Arod gets his HR....yay! (closet Yankee fan till tomorrow)

It's fair-looking to the FSN feed for Tampa..

That's the same feed Im watching on DTV.

First time all season the Rays are looking frustrated.

Edwin Jackson pitched a nice game, as the announcers were saying. Just some very bad breaks. I mean, great for Yanks... but would definitley have me PO'd.

Kazmir Only gave up one hit the whole night. Relivers gave up 5 runs in the 9th. Maybe the good bull pen JuJu is coming over to their Starters.

Jays = Twin killers

6-0 vs. the Twins this year. I just hope we can finally take a series from the rays, it really bothers me., We are holding our own against every team in the east but them. It would also be nice if we could get a run off Garza.

Anywho the AL looks so set, i've been watching a lot of NL baseball lately.Brewers look like they are starting to choke and the Cubs are now having troubles at the same time. Meanwhile Mets are looking the strongest now after sweeping the brew crew.