The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Jays = Twin killers

6-0 vs. the Twins this year. I just hope we can finally take a series from the rays, it really bothers me., We are holding our own against every team in the east but them. It would also be nice if we could get a run off Garza.

Anywho the AL looks so set, i've been watching a lot of NL baseball lately.Brewers look like they are starting to choke and the Cubs are now having troubles at the same time. Meanwhile Mets are looking the strongest now after sweeping the brew crew.

Im hoping the AL East isnt set just yet ;)

Its beginning to look a lot like October! Sox are getting healthy and heating up at just the right time. I just hope its not too much/too late for the division. I feel pretty good about the wildcard but would rather the division now because the LAA are going to be tough in the 1st round. Neither the Twins or White Sox seem to want to take their division although I think the Twins will do better after this road trip.

Rays are still playing good but are missing Eva and Crawford. The race to the finish is on.....

Medford: Dodgers are gonna make it, dispite that player we dont speak of. Eithier is an exciting player to watch.

C23: Yanks are done. 14 years of post season play and all their championships is really something. I wonder if Brian Cashman will be back and what your team will look like next season. I have a feeling it'll look very different, especially since the division is looking very competetive now.

JayCane: I still dont get how the Jays arent better than they are.

Its beginning to look a lot like October! Sox are getting healthy and heating up at just the right time. I just hope its not too much/too late for the division. I feel pretty good about the wildcard but would rather the division now because the LAA are going to be tough in the 1st round. Neither the Twins or White Sox seem to want to take their division although I think the Twins will do better after this road trip.

Rays are still playing good but are missing Eva and Crawford. The race to the finish is on.....

Medford: Dodgers are gonna make it, dispite that player we dont speak of. Eithier is an exciting player to watch.

C23: Yanks are done. 14 years of post season play and all their championships is really something. I wonder if Brian Cashman will be back and what your team will look like next season. I have a feeling it'll look very different, especially since the division is looking very competetive now.

JayCane: I still dont get how the Jays arent better than they are.

With Carlos Quentin out, gonna really be tough for the White Sox. Also Evan Longoria was activated off the DL today, he's available for pinch-hitting in todays game from what I heard during the jays telecast.

With Quentin out i guess AL MVP race is down to...

1) K-Rod

2) Hamilton

3) Pedroia

4) Dye?

Am i forgetting someone?

With Carlos Quentin out, gonna really be tough for the White Sox. Also Evan Longoria was activated off the DL today, he's available for pinch-hitting in todays game from what I heard during the jays telecast.

With Quentin out i guess AL MVP race is down to...

1) K-Rod

2) Hamilton

3) Pedroia

4) Dye?

Am i forgetting someone?

Yoooouuuuuuuuk! I dont think he'd be close though.

Greg Zaun coems out of nowhere, with the bases loaded 2 outs bottom of the 13th with a grand slam for the most clutch hit by a Jay in quite a while. nice story for a guy who lost his starting job this year and the Jays were thinking about releasing him.

Our always scary closer (not scary like Mariano Rivera , the not so good scary), BJ Ryan, blows a 3-run lea din the 9th, and the Rays ex-closer blows a 1-run lead in extra innings and gives up 4-runs.

Greg Zaun coems out of nowhere, with the bases loaded 2 outs bottom of the 13th with a grand slam for the most clutch hit by a Jay in quite a while. nice story for a guy who lost his starting job this year and the Jays were thinking about releasing him.

Our always scary closer (not scary like Mariano Rivera , the not so good scary), BJ Ryan, blows a 3-run lea din the 9th, and the Rays ex-closer blows a 1-run lead in extra innings and gives up 4-runs.

That was an ugly loss for the Rays. Could have been a huge confidence builder to come from behind and win but instead, it was a tough loss.

I hope the Red Sox take full advantage of this.

Ugh, Wakefield's 500th game turns ugly fast. Things are not going well when you get pulled in the 2nd inning :(

Fortunately there's still plenty of time to come back.

Edit: Yooooooouuuuuuuk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit again: Ugh, nice 9th inning rally but Wake's hole was just too deep. Missed opportunity...

how about that crybaby Ramriez. He is helping my Dodgers.

i will be happy until he is NOT on the Dodgers.

I still think he is a jerk but am glad LA looks like a real team again finally

in the very very weak NL West

Youklis Needs a special award for the way he Bats

The "butt wiggle and bounce" is much better in person.

Well, the Red Sox don't have to worry anymore about not getting the wildcard. Twins keep falling off, like a young, inexperienced team would do. It's either AL central for us or bust, and I think it's gonna be the latter this season. Stupid bullpen, so rare for us to be bad with it.

Is little as there is, there's still hope for WC for the Yanks.

While I hope they certainly make it, I also hope that we fail miserably and the Front Office makes a few drastic changes. Get rid of some of these mega contracts that we didn't need, and plan accordingly. If you have to get a free agent, do it smartly. If it's C.C., don't offer him 10/200.

But I do see a big free agent signing for our rotation. After the amount of injuries towards our rotation, it was ridiculous. I thought I was watching the Canes after a while. I unerstand every team has injuries, but geez. You'd think with billions of dollars, the Yanks could get a great conditioning/strength program.

Although I'm glad the Jays are winning, I don't want our gM back, and people are starting to back him now and forget how poorly we have sucked before the break, and it was his decision to back our ex-coach Gibbons.

Purcey looked great JayCane.

Well he deserved it, cause last time we faced the rays, he shutdown every ray but Pena, and well you know what Garza does against the jays this season. Two great young pitchers dueling it out, the last two series between the two teams has been great baseball with nail-biting finishes.

of course I always root for the jays to win, but if the yankees were close to Wild card by any means, it would be a bittersweet sweep, rays need to get in the playoffs and shakeup the AL East for good.

I know no one cares but my Dodgers just won their 8th in a row today

and look much much better than a week ago. Can they win the west.

they beat haren and webb twice in a week. that is impressive.

but can they sustain on the road where they are bad?

I hope so.

oh btw Sox are looking great and might be poised to go on another run.

the rays better be careful that they keep winning enough or they might even struggle

to make the playoffs... I hope they get in as they deserve it with this great turnaround.

Well, with my Pats in serious trouble and the Canes still weeks away, its time to turn my total focus on the Red Sox. BIG series starts tonight and the winner will be atop the the AL East when its done....for now.

The view from Tampa Bay

Adam Kilgore, Globe Staff September 8, 2008 07:27 AM

The Rays come to Boston today, clinging to a 1 1/2 game lead over the Red Sox, to play "hopefully some of the most exciting baseball of the year," Sox manager Terry Francona said yesterday. The Red Sox, 10-3 in their last 13 games, are playing perhaps their best all season. The Rays, just swept in Toronto, have given their detractors reason to puff their chest for the first time all year.

Both teams are six-for-six at home against the other, and if the Red Sox continue that trend, they'll be in first place by the time they go to bed Tuesday night. Here's a look at the state of the Rays from the beat writers who cover them:

David Singh writes the first portion of the most important road trip in Rays history began on a bad note. Marc Lancaster writes that the Rays wasted another great start from Matt Garza. At the end of this Lancaster story, Joe Maddon calls the series

cool record by red sox fans.

On to the series. I don't know what to think of the rays, did they just lose to good teams, or are they just getting edge dout by other desperate teams.

Yankees were desperate in the series against them, Jays are just on fire. I think Rays will come out with a good game tonight, maybe they are finally feeling the effects of missing crawford and Longoria. ....but Iwamura, Upton, Navarro, those are guys who can help in this situation with small ball.

Of course I favor the Sox to win this series, but Rays do still hold an edge in pitching, their pitching hasn't exactly let them down lately.

also I disagree with maddon putting Percival back as closer, Wheeler has been excellent, Percival just blew a save in his last outing.

Epic fail by Papelbon. What a series and what a gutsy game from both sides. Good win for Tampa, I hope it doesnt give them too much confidence.

This is playoff baseball!

Somehow, Tampa just won that game. I'm not quite sure how it happened except that Sonny Crockett tied it with a bomb off Pap in the top of the 9th. I can't take this anymore - I'm too old for this.