The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Somehow, Tampa just won that game. I'm not quite sure how it happened except that Sonny Crockett tied it with a bomb off Pap in the top of the 9th. I can't take this anymore - I'm too old for this.

tampa has shown resolve all season and to me and will be in the playoffs for sure.

Great win.

and now for the team that most dont care about, my Dodgers, they have a 2.5 lead with 17 to play.

I hope they get in after this frutrating season. They are not a great team but since getting the spoiled

great hitter, they do look a lot better. We shall see.

I have to admit I got a chuckle out of this one:

Red Sox decide to muzzle Schilling during playoffs

BY SEAN McADAM:Provivence Journal

BOSTON

Man, Dan Johnson and Fernando Perez. I feel like we just got beat by the Bulls.

We did.

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timlin??????? What was Tito thinking??????? Anyone BUT Timlin!!!!!!!

epic-fail.png

Man.... Bizarro World :wacko:

Rays are sure to win the division, and the Yanks are sure to be OUT of the playoffs for good.

Go Rays! Hey Steinbrenners, maybe we can fanangle a way to get Kazmir and Longoria over to the Yanks??? ;)

The good news: according to this site, the Red Sox still haved a 96.7% chance of making the post season.

The bad news: the Rays have conquered their last demon, winning in Fenway Park.

BTW: Yanks arent officially out yet, they have a .02% chance of making it.

You have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Timlin??????? What was Tito thinking??????? Anyone BUT Timlin!!!!!!!

epic-fail.png

understood TSA but his bullpen was spent.

focus on the bigger prize and Boston will be fine ;)

I know you hate Manny and rightfully so but he has helped

my Dodgers with his 14th dinger in the NL. I dont like him

but without that brat, the Dodgers would never be 3.5 games up with 16 to go.

also Derek Lowe, whom I know you like I would think won again for the Dodgers.

Med is happy right now with the baseball team, I just hope it continues.

Jays ended a 10-game winning streak last night, falling short to the White Sox.

All the wins were against teams over.500 (TB, White Sox, Yanks, Twins), I like the fact they are playing spoiler, after this game tonight though, guess they can only try and spoil whats left of the AL East.

understood TSA but his bullpen was spent.

focus on the bigger prize and Boston will be fine ;)

I know you hate Manny and rightfully so but he has helped

my Dodgers with his 14th dinger in the NL. I dont like him

but without that brat, the Dodgers would never be 3.5 games up with 16 to go.

also Derek Lowe, whom I know you like I would think won again for the Dodgers.

Med is happy right now with the baseball team, I just hope it continues.

I'd have put Aardsma in before Timlin. I respect what Timlin has done for this team over the years but its time to retire. He just doesnt come up with the big outs anymore and I dont get why Tito keeps hoping itll change.

Toronto has been on fire and always plays the Sox very tough so if I was Tito (thankfully Im not), Id be throwing all my big bats into the line up and sitting the quiet ones. Yeah...Im looking at you Papi. I love the guy but he's done jack this season and its coming down to the wire. When the meat of the order gets not 1, but 2 chances to close it out and doesnt, something is lacking. Bay gets a pass from me for last night because he's been great since the day he arrived, and he was bound to have a quiet night at some point.

The Sox had ample opportunities to close out that game last night and the one before it. They played well and didnt give these games away, and certainly the Rays earned these two huge wins with their resiliency but the Red Sox didnt help themselves either. Both teams played amazing but the Ray's pitching won in the end. I'd say the Rays are the favorite heading into the post season for sure. I keep telling myself its good for baseball :mellow:

I'd have put Aardsma in before Timlin. I respect what Timlin has done for this team over the years but its time to retire. He just doesnt come up with the big outs anymore and I dont get why Tito keeps hoping itll change.

Toronto has been on fire and always plays the Sox very tough so if I was Tito (thankfully Im not), Id be throwing all my big bats into the line up and sitting the quiet ones. Yeah...Im looking at you Papi. I love the guy but he's done jack this season and its coming down to the wire. When the meat of the order gets not 1, but 2 chances to close it out and doesnt, something is lacking. Bay gets a pass from me for last night because he's been great since the day he arrived, and he was bound to have a quiet night at some point.

The Sox had ample opportunities to close out that game last night and the one before it. They played well and didnt give these games away, and certainly the Rays earned these two huge wins with their resiliency but the Red Sox didnt help themselves either. Both teams played amazing but the Ray's pitching won in the end. I'd say the Rays are the favorite heading into the post season for sure. I keep telling myself its good for baseball :mellow:

IMHO the Angels are the favorite in the AL Still due to experience etc

The first game the Rays play in October will be their first EVER

IDC what anyone says, experiece does help. Good luck to Tampa

we shall see when it counts what happens. I still like Bos.

So does no one want to win the AL Central??? I wish the White Sox would just pull ahead so MN can fade away, lol.

Tough series starting for the Sox tonight. Toronto has been a big spoiler and Im sure they'd like to keep it going this weekend. I'd like to see Boston bounce back after dropping two tough games to the Rays at home. It doesnt feel dire but it would be nice to get some breathing room, even if its for the WC.

Rays are in NY and Im hoping the Yankees are going to come up big since their time in Yankee stadium is nearing an end. Even though they're unofficially out, winning their final couple of home series is as important as a pennant race right now to save face. Tough season for them but it just wasnt in the cards this year.

Go Yankees! :ph34r:

Yanks come home, possibly for last time

09/10/2008 10:03 PM ET

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

ANAHEIM -- When it comes to the season's late months, the Yankees have a mark more indelible than any other franchise. The organization conjures thoughts like the one Reggie Jackson had in Anaheim, joking to reporters that if someone wanted to learn about October baseball, they should just type his name into Google and be content with the search results produced.

These Yankees, the 2008 version, may not have the opportunity to create their own Mr. October moments. As the club returns to New York to open a 10-game homestand at Yankee Stadium, it is confronted with the very real probability that the games will be the final ones played before the club moves across 161st Street into a state-of-the-art facility for next season's campaign.

"Not good. Now we've got to go home and put together a good homestand," Derek Jeter said. "That's the only way you can look at it. We need to win games. I feel like I'm giving the same answers every day, but that's just the bottom line."

Though their chances at making the playoffs were whittled to a sliver by splitting a 10-game, four-city road trip to Detroit, Tampa Bay, Seattle and Anaheim, the Yankees are not ready to declare their season over and done with.

"I think we have to keep going out there and playing hard," Johnny Damon said. "We need all of those other teams to lose each and every single one of their games, so that's all we can do -- go out there and play hard and see what happens."

"We're back, you know?" Jeter said. "We've been in a position where we need to win every day. We can't sit around and worry about what other teams are doing, because unless we win, it really doesn't make a difference. We can't afford to lose anymore."

Yankees manager Joe Girardi said that until the day the team is mathematically counted out, he is counting on his players to leave the same effort on the field.

"I still think we have something to play for," Girardi said. "You play and play and play. You have pride in what you do. There's no 'X' by our names, so there's still a lot to play for."

The final regular-season homestand at Yankee Stadium brings in the upstart Tampa Bay Rays, a club that New York took two of three from at Tropicana Field in the teams' last meeting this season.

Before Wednesday's series finale at Anaheim, Girardi said that he had not considered the fact that he might be walking from the parking lot and along the blue line that leads to the Yankees' clubhouse for the final 10 games ever played at the current facility.

"I haven't taken time to think about it," Girardi said. "I'm sure I'll think about it on the plane today. It's unique -- you think about all the history there and what happened there. To think that it might be the last time we play there, that's kind of different."

The number of double headers tomorrow.... sheesh. Hope the Yanks can take it to the Rays, and somehow get a 10 game winning streak going here. :)

The number of double headers tomorrow.... sheesh. Hope the Yanks can take it to the Rays, and somehow get a 10 game winning streak going here. :)

I hope so too ;)

I hope LA keeps winning, they look very good now. I never expected this.

I hope they get healthy as well, or at least somewhat healthy. Go blue.

Looks like this day ends up a wash. Thanks you Mariano for closing the door, thank you Papelbon for not blowing the save and congrats to "Pedroia the destroya" for his 200 hit this season. Very classy of Lyle Overbay to get the ball and throw it into the Red Sox dugout.

Tomorrow should be a nail biter, Lester vs Halliday.

Looks like this day ends up a wash. Thanks you Mariano for closing the door, thank you Papelbon for not blowing the save and congrats to "Pedroia the destroya" for his 200 hit this season. Very classy of Lyle Overbay to get the ball and throw it into the Red Sox dugout.

Tomorrow should be a nail biter, Lester vs Halliday.

Great comeback win last night for Boston. I was thrilled.

I am also thrilled for a team that has won 12 out of 13, who are they again ;):lol:

never never did I expect this. I still think LA will lose in the first round of the playoffs but you never know.

Go Sox, Dodgers and Cubbies :)

Man. You'd like the Yankees to win, just because there's a chance. On the other hand, you want the Rays to Go All the Way!

:(

Man. You'd like the Yankees to win, just because there's a chance. On the other hand, you want the Rays to Go All the Way!

:(

Depends who "you" are ;)

Were "you" not just rooting for the Yankees a little bit ago? :)
Why, yes I was, lol. Arod's grand slam was a thing of beauty. ;)