The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Were "you" not just rooting for the Yankees a little bit ago? :)
I think most Red Sox fans were rooting for the Yankees this weekend. Most will not admit it but most were :lol:

What a rare night, Kazmir is in lala land. Good for the Sox but he looks like he needs rescuing.

He's given up 4 HR's and made some very strange plays.

I think most Red Sox fans were rooting for the Yankees this weekend. Most will not admit it but most were :lol:

I always root for NY, unless they play Boston ;) or it helps Boston out :P

or LA out :P

So far so good tonight for the Sox smoking Kaz and my Dodgers winning 5-0 vs Pitt.

even though I hate Manny, he has 43 RBI with the Dodgers, boy has he helped them win

like a deal with the devil i guess :unsure:

I was going to say the same thing about Kazmir. I never remember him looking so bad. He just looked outright horrible tonight. Thankgod for the Red Sox thow. What an awsome game so far. But very stragin to see Kazmir look so bad.

Not to sound ungrateful for DiceK's about to be 17 wins but when the guys give him a 13 run cushion, you'd think he could give them at least 6-7 innings.

Has the guy pitched past 6.....ever this season?

Ok, good game for the Sox...big statement.

Edit: Has this game become excruciatingly boring to anyone else?

Edit again: Magic # to clinch wildcard is 6.

That has drove me nuts also with DiceK. Glad he is 17 and 2 now but would love to see him be able to get deeper into games.

Not to sound ungrateful for DiceK's about to be 17 wins but when the guys give him a 13 run cushion, you'd think he could give them at least 6-7 innings.

Has the guy pitched past 6.....ever this season?

Ok, good game for the Sox...big statement.

Edit: Has this game become excruciatingly boring to anyone else?

Edit again: Magic # to clinch wildcard is 6.

lol Dice K has pitched more than 6 a few times.

He is kind of frustrating but IMHO is the third starter on this team

behind Lester and Beckett (if healthy) So not bad for a 3rd starter right ;)

lol Dice K has pitched more than 6 a few times.

He is kind of frustrating but IMHO is the third starter on this team

behind Lester and Beckett (if healthy) So not bad for a 3rd starter right ;)

I guess. But still would like to see him get depper into games. But I guess as long as he is winning games that is all that matters.

Theo get extention:

Henry: Epstein has new deal

Dan Shaughnessy, Globe Staff September 16, 2008 03:12 PM

Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein has agreed to a contract extending beyond this season, but the deal has not yet been formalized or signed, according to owner John Henry.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

NEW YORK -- Derek Jeter notched his 1,270th career hit at Yankee Stadium on Tuesday, moving past Lou Gehrig for the most all-time hits in the Bronx.

After logging nine hits in the first three games of New York's final homestand, Jeter went hitless on Monday before surpassing Gehrig's mark with a hard ground ball off White Sox right-hander Gavin Floyd in the bottom of the first inning.

The hit shot through the legs of third baseman Juan Uribe, who was playing in near the grass, and was reviewed by official scorer Bill Shannon while the Yankee Stadium crowd cheered. In the press box, Shannon announced, "Base hit," and the Yankees' second hit clicked onto the scoreboard in left-center field, drawing another roar from the fans as they saluted Jeter.

Most of the Yankees' roster moved to the top step of the dugout to applaud Jeter, and standing at first base, the shortstop doffed his batting helmet to a loud ovation as his image was displayed on the video screen in right-center field.

"I've been fortunate enough to play my whole career here," Jeter said this week. "They've pretty much seen me grow up. The fans here have always been great. They always appreciate people when they play hard, and this is great timing with it being the last season at the stadium."

In Yankee Stadium's final homestand, Jeter caught the Iron Horse with seven games to spare. Jeter stroked three hits in each game of a day-night doubleheader on Saturday and then drilled another three in a Sunday afternoon game against the Rays.

The hit to tie Gehrig was a home run on Sunday off Rays rookie David Price -- making his Major League debut. Yankees employees retrieved the ball from a family in the bleachers, and Jeter said he traded a signed bat and ball for the milestone hit ball.

Jeter's at-bat in the first inning on Tuesday also marked his 8,002nd at-bat at Yankee Stadium, also passing Gehrig. Gehrig had held sole possession of first place on the Yankees' all-time hits list since Sept. 6, 1937, according to the Elias Sports Bureau

Did anyone else think that the final 2 innings of the Sox/Rays game tonight was horribly officiated. Ellsbury called out at 2nd, I think he was safe, but it was close. Then the guy gets "hit in the hand" even though the ball shot off foul in a way that it had to have hit lumber and then the ball rolling down the baseline negates Pena's swinging strike and Masterson is squeezed from there on out. I have not been happy with how these umps have handled this series, also to warn the teams when Kazmir hit the Sox player on Monday was ridiculous. Best news of the night is that Beckett is back. Come on WAKE!!

Did anyone else think that the final 2 innings of the Sox/Rays game tonight was horribly officiated. Ellsbury called out at 2nd, I think he was safe, but it was close. Then the guy gets "hit in the hand" even though the ball shot off foul in a way that it had to have hit lumber and then the ball rolling down the baseline negates Pena's swinging strike and Masterson is squeezed from there on out. I have not been happy with how these umps have handled this series, also to warn the teams when Kazmir hit the Sox player on Monday was ridiculous. Best news of the night is that Beckett is back. Come on WAKE!!

There were some interesting calls but Masterson lost that game. I was wondering about the missed called strike on Pena but read that it was all Oki's fault:

"Up came Pena; in the middle of his at-bat, Hideki Okajima uncorked a wild pitch from the bullpen, and it rolled into the infield, negating a strike."

That strike gets called and most likely we go to the 10th inning. Beckett looked like Beckett and unfortunately left 1 pitch up and it cost him. 1 bad pitch in most games wont cost you the win, and the Rays were impressive how they capitalized on it. I read that Bartolo Colon is being moved to the pen but they're not sure what role he'll play. Pretty frustrating with 2 weeks to go in the regular season, they're still trying to figure out the bull pen and who can fill that dreaded 8th inning bridge to Papelbon. Please rest Mike Lowell. I was hurting just watching him limp across the diamond. :(

Looks like both the Sox and Rays are in right now and it would take a major collapse to change that. I dont think the battle for 1st in the division is close to being over yet though.

There were some interesting calls but Masterson lost that game. I was wondering about the missed called strike on Pena but read that it was all Oki's fault:

"Up came Pena; in the middle of his at-bat, Hideki Okajima uncorked a wild pitch from the bullpen, and it rolled into the infield, negating a strike."

That strike gets called and most likely we go to the 10th inning. Beckett looked like Beckett and unfortunatley left 1 pitch up and it cost him. 1 bad pitch in most games wont cost you the win, and the Rays were impressive how they capatalized on it. I read that Bartolo Colon is being moved to the pen but they're not sure what role he'll play. Pretty frustrating with 2 weeks to go in the regular season, they're still trying to figure out the bull pen and who can fill that dreaded 8th inning bridge to Papelbon. Please rest Mike Lowell. I was hurting just watching him limp across the diamond. :(

Looks like both the Sox and Rays are in right now and it would take a major colapse to change that. I dont think the battle for 1st in the division is close to being over yet though.

But I would have to agree that I thought the umps were a little off tonight also. They showed the replay of the ball rolling into the infield and that ball did not come in untill Masterson had the ball back from Pena swining and missing that pitch. Not to say Masterson was not bad tonight because he was but that should have been a strike if you ask me.

Very cool for Jeter. Ive always thought he was all class.
As have I. I do not like the Yankees but I do like Jeter. He is one of the best shortstops to ever play the game.

The umpiring has been awful both ways for the last two months. I'm fairly sure they've all evened out.

As have I. I do not like the Yankees but I do like Jeter. He is one of the best shortstops to ever play the game.

I'm still of the opinion that if Jeter played for the Blue Jays or the Reds, he'd be just another guy - a good SS that can hit for average and who is a bit of a defensive liability. But he's a class guy, so no hate intended.

Last night Masterson lost the game when he it Pena. He was in control until then.

TB deserves credit. Todays game is huge.

Also that blue team out west is getting it done now. I just hope for a chance when they most likely

make the playoffs now.

Go Cubbies as well. B)

Enjoy the rest of the week and a half, It will be a hell of a ride.

Glad to see Ortiz showed up tonight up to this point. Think the rest of the Red Sox did not get the message that there was a game tonight. Think they all look horrible up to this point except Ortiz.

MIAMI -- The Astros are stepping up following Hurricane Ike.

On Wednesday, it was announced that the Houston franchise has donated $1 million to support the relief efforts of the devastating hurricane, which ravaged a big chunk of Texas and left many without electricity.

The donation was a combined effort between Astros chairman and CEO Drayton McLane, the Astros in Action Foundation and Astros players and staff.

"Hurricane Ike has had a devastating impact on a significant area of the Houston community and the Gulf Coast region," McLane said. "We care deeply about our fans and our community. One of our missions at the Astros has always been to make a positive difference in the community, and we hope that this donation will assist in what will be a very difficult and lengthy recovery process.

"I want to particularly commend our players and staff for their willingness to contribute to those in need."

Proceeds will go directly toward the Gulf Coast Ike Relief Fund through the Greater Houston Community Foundation.

The Gulf Coast Ike Relief Fund is the official relief fund, established by Houston's mayor, Bill White. The Greater Houston Community Foundation will administer this fund at no cost, so 100 percent of all donations will go to where it is needed.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

Very nice thing for the Astros to do for there community.