The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

it aint over yet. The Rays have 8 road games still.

you never know. but the Sox must get better out of wake, maybe he

is all done finally :(

They need Bay, Lowell and Drew back but I think thery're only going to get Bay. The starting pitching is an enigma to me, probably to Francona too.

Wow...does anyone want the AL central, seriously. I wish the Jays could take a year off from the AL East and have a shot at the playoff sin the AL Central,lol.

Whoever wins the AL east will be fortunate enough to face either the Sox or Twins in the first round, which is way easier than facing the Angels or Red Sox/Rays.

TORONTO -- Bartolo Colon's mostly injury-plagued run with the Red Sox all but came to an end on Friday, when the team placed the big right-hander on the suspended list.

Colon went to the Dominican Republic earlier this week to tend to a personal matter and expressed a preference to stay there, rather than return to the Red Sox and serve as, at most, a long reliever or spot starter for the rest of the regular season.

It's doubtful that Colon -- who made seven starts for the Red Sox -- would have factored into the team's postseason plans.

"He got home for the personal stuff and decided that he just wasn't real comfortable [returning]," said Red Sox manager Terry Francona. "He was either going to be in the bullpen or back up a starter here."

When none of the other 29 teams made a run at Colon over the offseason, the Red Sox took a no-risk flyer on the 2005 American League Cy Young Award winner and signed him to a Minor League deal in February.

Colon suffered an oblique injury in April, but entered the Red Sox rotation for a six-start run on May 21, breaking out to a 3-0 start. But his good fortune ended when Colon tweaked his back while taking a big swing in an Interleague game against the Phillies on June 16.

He finally made it back to Fenway on Sept. 13, earning a no-decision in the second game of a doubleheader against the Blue Jays. Colon went 4-2 with a 3.92 ERA in 2008.

With five able starters healthy (Josh Beckett, Jon Lester, Daisuke Matsuzaka, Tim Wakefield and Paul Byrd), there was not much of a role left for Colon.

By putting him on the suspended list, the Red Sox don't have to pay Colon for the rest of the season.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=bos

Anybody need a pitcher :lol:

Nice save by Papelbon. I thought for sure with Wilkerson on 2nd, none out, they'd tie the game. Should have bunt and hope for a pop fly... but hey, good game for Yanks/Sox

Nice save by Papelbon. I thought for sure with Wilkerson on 2nd, none out, they'd tie the game. Should have bunt and hope for a pop fly... but hey, good game for Yanks/Sox

Nice to see Papelbon get his head straight. When he threw that ball away to first, I was worried he was going to melt down.

Lowell shut down for 4-5 games :(

Nice to see Papelbon get his head straight. When he threw that ball away to first, I was worried he was going to melt down.

Lowell shut down for 4-5 games :(

I was thinking the same thing when I saw him throw that ball away. I was sitting there cursing at the T.V. :lol:

ST. PETERSBURG -- The Rays are going to the playoffs.

Saturday's emotionally-driven 7-2 win over the Twins in front of a home sellout crowd of 36,048, clinched the Rays' franchise-first postseason appearance. Additionally, the win -- coupled with Boston's loss to Toronto -- extends Tampa Bay's lead atop the American League East to 2 1/2 games.

The Rays' Division Series playoff destination will shake out in the final week of the season. Assuming the Rays win the AL East and Boston wins the Wild Card, the Rays will open at home against the Central winner, either the White Sox or Twins, while the Red Sox would open at the Angels, who have the AL's best record. Should Boston win the East and the Rays get the Wild Card, the Rays would open at Anaheim, while the Red Sox would host the Central Division champion. The Division Series is a best-of-five set.

Carlos Pena's two-out double in the third inning wasn't just clutch -- it had some luck involved, as well. Initially, it appeared the Tampa Bay first baseman popped up to Minnesota catcher Joe Mauer, but the ball hit Tropicana Field's catwalk in foul territory and per the dome's ground rules, was a dead ball. After working the count full, Pena laced a double hit into center field to plate the Rays' first pair of runs.

The offense padded starter Scott Kazmir's cushion with three runs in the fifth inning and a pair of solo homers from Fernando Perez and Cliff Floyd in the sixth and seventh frames, respectively.

Kazmir cruised early, but hit a snag in the fourth inning when he allowed Minnesota to load the bases with no outs. The Rays' defense -- dazzling all season long -- picked up its ace pitcher with a rare outfield double play off the bat of former Ray Delmon Young. Center fielder Perez caught Young's fly ball and tossed the ball in to cut-off man Pena. Pena then threw a strike to Jason Bartlett, who put the tag on Twins baserunner Justin Morneau, who had a large lead off second base. Kazmir got Brendan Harris to fly out to leave the Twins scoreless. Kazmir exited after six scoreless frames, notching his 12th win of the s

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/gameday_recap.jsp?...sp&c_id=mlb

Congratulations to the Rays on finally clinching a playoff spot.

ALRIGHT! Good for those guys! They and Joe Madden deserve this right now!

Played guitar for a while, fingertips aren't use to typing now. :)

Not a baseball fan, but big Congrats to the Rays for thier first playoff berth in franchise history.. way to go!

I do follow the Braves on occasion and I'm dissappointed they are missing the playoffs AGAIN... when did the wheels fall off of that franchise.. what was it like 17 straight division titles or something? and now like 3 years in a row out of october... wow.. bad juju in Atlanta..

ALRIGHT! Good for those guys! They and Joe Madden deserve this right now!

Yes, they certainly earned their playoff birth with an impressive run all season. Good for them :)

I know it's early, but for us Yanks, we're kinda looking forward to next season already. ;) At least I am anyway. I think Steinbrenner is going to try to sign Sabathia, Burnett, and/or Sheets. I really think he's going to throw/waste alot of money. I understand getting an Ace besides Wang, but I see nothing but badness this offseason because of money.

I know it's early, but for us Yanks, we're kinda looking forward to next season already. ;) At least I am anyway. I think Steinbrenner is going to try to sign Sabathia, Burnett, and/or Sheets. I really think he's going to throw/waste alot of money. I understand getting an Ace besides Wang, but I see nothing but badness this offseason because of money.

Sorry C23, but I think it may take a couple of seasons to dig out of this mess for the Yanks. They're gonna have to do it from within if they want to get back to the consistency they've had in the past. I forget where I read it but the percentage of success from signing high $ free agents is pretty low, as compared to the success of drafting and developing your own players.

In Red Sox news:

According to the Boston Herald, Julio Lugo (quadriceps) suffered another setback while fielding ground balls Saturday.

The newspaper speculates that "he can be eliminated from making a return to action before the regular season ends and at least through the first round of the playoffs."

Poor guy, sorry he's still hurting.

*hides behind the couch while cheering loudly*

Sox finish season with 39-42 road record. They better work on taking the division since they cant even play .500 on the road. Not good.

Sox to retire Pesky's number

Globe Staff September 23, 2008 01:22 PM

A team source confirmed to the Globe that the Red Sox will retire Johnny Pesky's No. 6 this weekend, during the final series of the year with the New York Yankees. The official announcement could come as early as today. The Boston Herald first reported on their website this afternoon that the Sox were expected to retire Pesky's number.

The Red Sox will break their traditional requirements for a player's number to be retired: that he is in the Hall of Fame, that he ended his career with the club, and that he played at least 10 seasons for the Red Sox. Pesky is not in the Hall of Fame.

Pesky, who will turn 89 Saturday and still maintains a locker in the Red Sox clubhouse, will join Bobby Doerr (1), Joe Cronin (4), Carl Yastrzemski (8), Ted Williams (9) and Carlton Fisk (27) as players whose numbers have been retired. (The Red Sox created a loophole for Fisk, who ended his career with the White Sox.)

Pesky has been in some way connected to the Red Sox for 57 of the 69 years in baseball. Red Sox lore is incomplete without him. The right-field foul pole will forever be known as "Pesky's Pole" -- standing 302 feet from home plate, it was the only place, teammates used to joke, Pesky could hit a home run. He hit 17 in his career (only six in Fenway Park).

Pesky played for the Red Sox in 1942, then again from 1946 until he was traded to the Tigers during the 1952 season. The shortstop missed the 1943-45 seasons because of World War II, during which he was enlisted in the Navy. Pesky batted .331 as a rookie in '42, and finished with a career .307 average in a career that ended in 1954.

Pesky managed the Red Sox in 1963-64, and later served in a number of other roles, including as a coach and a broadcaster. He remains a consistent presence at Fenway as an unofficial ambassador.

With Pesky's No. 6 apparently headed for the right-field facade, there will be much speculation regarding the next players to be honored if and when the new retired-number policy is implemented. Among possible candidates:

Jim Rice (No. 14)

Roger Clemens (No. 21)

Luis Tiant (No. 23)

Dwight Evans (No. 24)

Tony Conigliaro (No. 25)

Sox to retire Pesky's number

Globe Staff September 23, 2008 01:22 PM

A team source confirmed to the Globe that the Red Sox will retire Johnny Pesky's No. 6 this weekend, during the final series of the year with the New York Yankees. The official announcement could come as early as today. The Boston Herald first reported on their website this afternoon that the Sox were expected to retire Pesky's number.

The Red Sox will break their traditional requirements for a player's number to be retired: that he is in the Hall of Fame, that he ended his career with the club, and that he played at least 10 seasons for the Red Sox. Pesky is not in the Hall of Fame.

Pesky, who will turn 89 Saturday and still maintains a locker in the Red Sox clubhouse, will join Bobby Doerr (1), Joe Cronin (4), Carl Yastrzemski (8), Ted Williams (9) and Carlton Fisk (27) as players whose numbers have been retired. (The Red Sox created a loophole for Fisk, who ended his career with the White Sox.)

Pesky has been in some way connected to the Red Sox for 57 of the 69 years in baseball. Red Sox lore is incomplete without him. The right-field foul pole will forever be known as "Pesky's Pole" -- standing 302 feet from home plate, it was the only place, teammates used to joke, Pesky could hit a home run. He hit 17 in his career (only six in Fenway Park).

Pesky played for the Red Sox in 1942, then again from 1946 until he was traded to the Tigers during the 1952 season. The shortstop missed the 1943-45 seasons because of World War II, during which he was enlisted in the Navy. Pesky batted .331 as a rookie in '42, and finished with a career .307 average in a career that ended in 1954.

Pesky managed the Red Sox in 1963-64, and later served in a number of other roles, including as a coach and a broadcaster. He remains a consistent presence at Fenway as an unofficial ambassador.

With Pesky's No. 6 apparently headed for the right-field facade, there will be much speculation regarding the next players to be honored if and when the new retired-number policy is implemented. Among possible candidates:

Jim Rice (No. 14)

Roger Clemens (No. 21)

Luis Tiant (No. 23)

Dwight Evans (No. 24)

Tony Conigliaro (No. 25)

I like the idea of them doing this for Johnny. He sure deserves it. And if they do decided to reitre another numbder after this I think it should be Jim Rice.

Yeah, Pesky without a doubt deserves it. With how much he's involved with the Sox still? Roger Clemens I think you can scratch off that list now. :rolleyes:

Whew! Finally! With all the chances they've had to clinch, who'd have thought they'd beat beat Cliff Lee(22-3) to finally get that playoff berth?

Good for Wake, Im glad it was him that got the final win. Now, can they get through the week without anymore catastrophic injuries....please.

And so, all good things must come to an end. The end of the Torre era, also the end of Yankee stadium, which leads us to the end of the 13 playoff appearance streak.

:(

"Next year" :lol:

I was really surprised that the Sox handle Lee the way they did tonight. I thought for sure that tonight was not going to be the night they clinched. Glad they did thow and got on Lee like that.