The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Most interesting comment of the day:

$800 million dollars in payroll the last two seasons between the Mets and Yanks and only 1 playoff round to show. :o

Sorry Quince :(

It's ok the sun still came up today...well actually it didnt because I live in Buffalo haha

No bullpen and you get a combined 4 runs in two games they don't deserve to go.

I'm liking Angels vs Cubs

Angles win

It's ok the sun still came up today...well actually it didnt because I live in Buffalo haha

No bullpen and you get a combined 4 runs in two games they don't deserve to go.

I'm liking Angels vs Cubs

Angles win

You need to move south Quince, lots of sunshine here ;) .

Agreed, it feels like the Angels year to me too. They have all the pieces to finally get over that hump, and with the depleted state the Red Sox are in, conquering the demons and taking them out in the first round might just be whats needed to carry them all the way through.

ChiSox knock off the Tigers, force a one game playoff tomorrow against the Twins--John Danks vs Nick Blackburn. I'm guessing this'll be a pretty high scoring affair. Blackburn has been terrible on the road and Danks was hit hard in his last start and is going on three days rest. I'm betting on Chicago though. Winner earns a trip to Tampa.

ChiSox knock off the Tigers, force a one game playoff tomorrow against the Twins. Winner earns a trip to Tampa.

Grand Slam for Ramirez! (not the Ramirez we dont speak of)

I personally dont care who wins the central but I was hoping for the tie breaker tomorrow. I need something to do before Wednesday. ;)

You need to move south Quince, lots of sunshine here ;) .

Agreed, it feels like the Angels year to me too. They have all the pieces to finally get over that hump, and with the depleted state the Red Sox are in, conquering the demons and taking them out in the first round might just be whats needed to carry them all the way through.

Hey hey now... You guys can't claim that one, that's designated for Florida, and parts of California. :)

Hey hey now... You guys can't claim that one, that's designated for Florida, and parts of California. :)

I said sunshine, not "rays". :P

Speaking of Rays, Asylum44 must be drooling watching the White Sox and Twins duke it out till the last minute.

Hope you have a good birthday! Id say your Rays winning the AL East is a pretty good birthday present. ;)

Sunshine State... not Rays State (even though Rays of Sunshine are everywhere in Florida. :D)

It was crazy... I went to Busch Gardens this past weekend in Tampa... Rays stuff EVERYWHERE. I've been an annual pass holder for years, and I've NEVER seen this much stuff ... I'd see a green rays shirt here and there... but Lots of blue and white this past weekend. New Rays shirts, hats, jerseys... it was crazy. Exceeded the Sox and Yanks galore.

Terrible shame the game is in Chicago. Twins are like 1-8 there this season. Both of these teams have mimicked each other for long enough though...it's time to settle this.

Oh, and go Joe Mauer and Justin Morneau for AL MVP. Especially Mauer. Best catcher in the game and has offense to go along with it. So under-appreciated.

One run.

One run.

And we have the AL Central division champion. I wish I could say that the Twins deserved it more (because of the extremely low expectations coming in), but really neither team deserved this. It was a fraud all season long...no one stepped up to win the division.

Here's looking forward to the Tampa Bay sweep.

One run.

One run.

And we have the AL Central division champion. I wish I could say that the Twins deserved it more (because of the extremely low expectations coming in), but really neither team deserved this. It was a fraud all season long...no one stepped up to win the division.

Here's looking forward to the Tampa Bay sweep.

That was a heck of a win last night for the White Sox. That felt a game #7 win that could easily carry them into the playoffs with a lot of momentum and confidence against the Rays who have sat idle now. Im not sure who Id give the edge to because both teams have shown amazing resiliency.

Red Sox have set their http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/10/sox_roster_is_s.html' target="_blank">roster now[/post] and thankfully Tito hasnt ruled out the possibility of pinch hitting for Tek. Love the guy but when the chips are down, Im not so sure he can get the job done anymore.

By carrying a third catcher, the Sox suggest that they will hit for Varitek if and when the situation calls for it. Francona has refrained from doing so during the regular season, but the postseason is obviously a different matter. If necessary, the Sox could subsequently hit for Cash and put in Ross, who is regarded as a solid defensive catcher.

"You put the roster in best position where [it] can succeed," Francona told WEEI. "You have to consider, 'Does a third catcher allow you to pinch run, to pinch hit?' It puts you in a position to maximize your roster."

And Sox fans can breath a big sigh of relief because Timlin was left off the round #1 roster.

Rays starting line up for game #1 was released, but not the full roster:

1. Akinori Iwamura-2B

2. B.J. Upton-CF

3. Carlos Pena-1B

4. Evan Longoria-3B

5. Carl Crawford-LF

6. Cliff Floyd-DH

7. Dioner Navarro-C

8. Gabe Gross-RF

9. Jason Bartlett-SS

SP James Shields

Yankees agree to three-year deal with GM Cashman

Associated Press

NEW YORK -- Brian Cashman figures he has more work to do with the New York Yankees. After a sustained run of success, he wasn't about to leave on the heels of a failed season.

Cashman is staying on as general manager of the Yankees, agreeing Tuesday to a three-year contract that runs through 2011.

Despite the Yankees missing the playoffs this season, Brian Cashman is on board for three more years to try and turn things around in New York.

"I've got a job to finish here," Cashman said in a statement. "That's the bottom line."

New York missed the playoffs this year for the first time since 1993. Cashman took over as GM in 1997 and his current deal was set to expire at the end of October.

He was expected to re-sign, especially after Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner told Cashman earlier this season that the team wanted him back. But there had been rumblings that Cashman might be interested in running another club -- perhaps one without such a vocal, hands-on ownership group.

"I consider coming off a season where we didn't reach the playoffs for the first time since 1993 as a personal challenge. I've never been one to run from a challenge, and I look forward to having the chance to go after this thing again," Cashman said. "It's an incredible opportunity and honor to hold the title of general manager for the New York Yankees. With it comes a great responsibility to ownership, the people who wear the uniform and our fan base."

He has plenty of work to do. Beset by injuries, a mediocre pitching staff and a disappointing offense, New York (89-73) finished third in the AL East this season, six games out of playoff position.

Cashman was criticized for turning down a deal that could have brought ace Johan Santana to the Yankees last winter. He chose instead to stick with a plan of valuing young players, but it backfired when pitchers Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy combined to go 0-8 and failed to stay healthy.

New York is expected to make a strong push for several stars who can become free agents, including ace CC Sabathia. First baseman Mark Teixeira and pitchers Ben Sheets, A.J. Burnett and Derek Lowe could be targets, too.

"Before we could move forward as an organization this offseason, we needed to come to a resolution on the person who would hold the important position of general manager and allow us to make another run at a 27th world championship," co-chairmen Hank and Hal Steinbrenner said in a statement. "We are thrilled that Brian has accepted to renew his commitment to this organization for at least three more years."

The Yankees could have nearly $90 million in salaries coming off the books. Mike Mussina, Andy Pettitte, Jason Giambi, Bobby Abreu and Ivan Rodriguez are unsigned for next season, and center field is an uncertainty.

"Brian has shown throughout his Yankees career that he has the dedication, integrity and know-how needed to perform -- and succeed -- in this environment," the Steinbrenner brothers said. "Having him in place allows us to begin an offseason of hard work, and we are pleased he will be working hand-in-hand with us to bring the New York Yankees back to the postseason."

Im really suprised at this one. Hank and Hal arent going to change, therefore, Cashman will always be undermined in every decision he makes.

I said sunshine, not "rays". :P

Speaking of Rays, Asylum44 must be drooling watching the White Sox and Twins duke it out till the last minute.

Hope you have a good birthday! Id say your Rays winning the AL East is a pretty good birthday present. ;)

hey thanks TSA! i would say that works as a pretty good present too! i can't wait for playoffs to fully take effect!

I know no one cares but Med is happy today

I love it when the little guys get the job done.

Troy Loney with a grand slam for LA

and Jacoby Ellsbury with 3 hits and on base 5 times.

also what a play by Youk throwing Vladdy out.

great night that is for sure.

now Go Blue get up by 2 tomorrow.

I'm still seriously hoping for Dodgers/Cubs vs Rays in World Series. It's a shame the Dodgers and Cubs had to duke it out in 5 games rather than 7. We'll see if the Rays can hold their own in the post season. ;)

I'm still seriously hoping for Dodgers/Cubs vs Rays in World Series. It's a shame the Dodgers and Cubs had to duke it out in 5 games rather than 7. We'll see if the Rays can hold their own in the post season. ;)

I am glad I got someone on my side ;) thanks C23

and if the Cubs do win, I will root for them in the NL no matter what.

If the Dodgers can beat Zambrano tonight, the series is OVER.

As for more pertinent matters... LET'S GO RAYS! I hope Pierzynski comes down with food poisoning, or the bird flu, or SARS and has to miss the series. Or the rest of his career, for that matter.

If the Dodgers can beat Zambrano tonight, the series is OVER.

As for more pertinent matters... LET'S GO RAYS! I hope Pierzynski comes down with food poisoning, or the bird flu, or SARS and has to miss the series. Or the rest of his career, for that matter.

If I didn't know better I'd say you don't like AJ Pierzynski..... ;)

Anyway the Sox game last night was great. We needed at least one game out in LA and now we have Dice K, who is normally great on the road, followed by Beckett at home. I'm so pumped for the game on Friday.

If I didn't know better I'd say you don't like AJ Pierzynski..... ;)

Anyway the Sox game last night was great. We needed at least one game out in LA and now we have Dice K, who is normally great on the road, followed by Beckett at home. I'm so pumped for the game on Friday.

Im not so sure his own mother likes him :lol: .

Update: Shields just gave up a 3 run homer, White Sox up 3-1.

Longoria is a STUD.

That is all.

Yes he is. He hasnt skipped a beat since returning.

Like I said, no one but maybe C23 is happy but me but but the Dodgers

have played very well so far and the Cubs have been sloppy.

I hope it continues.

good win for Tampa as well yesterday.

Go Sox tonight and Go Blue

Man, I was hoping for either or in the Dodgers/Cubs matchup, and it looks like the Dodgers are going to it. Cubs played ridiculously last night.

Rays White Sox... Cabrera vs Balfour is one of the ages from now on. I think everytime Cabrera steps up later in the game, they're going to bring in Balfour. EXPLICIT CENSOR TIME! ;)