The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

We still have Wakefield and Byrd. Maybe one of them two.

I know that, lol, I was wondering who they'll choose.

Good thing I'm not a Yankees fan, or I'd be hurt right now. ;)

But seriously, the Rays cinderella story is incredible. I'd loveee to see them make it all the way. Should be a good series...I think the BoSox have the experience to pull it out though. They just always seem to make the key plays at the right times.

Man what a game. I woulda let Lester at least start the 8th, but at least the end result was positive. Great job by Jed jumping on Shields' curveball, that had been a filthy pitch for him.

So who starts game 1 in Tampa? I assume they won't bring back Lester on three-days rest, so that means Beckett or DiceK. My guess is it'll be Beckett since he has the resume, even though his game 3 start wasn't much different than a typical DiceK start.

See here why Francona removed him.

http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/baseball/red_sox/view/2008_10_07_Tito_s_call_on_Jon_Lester:_Lifts_starter_after_seven/' target="_blank">http://www.bostonherald.com/sports/basebal...er_after_seven/[/post]

on schedule now for Sox vs Dodgers. Med is hoping ;)

I'd like to see the Phillies in the world series against the Rays.

Rays against Boston is sure to go 6 or 7 games and will be an excellent series.

Just for some fun...

BDD_cherubs_10.6.08_SN.jpg

BDD_JB_ang2_10.6.08.jpg

BDD_JB_oldseason_10.3.08.jpg

BDD_JMTF_finish_9.21.08_sg.jpg

And the Manny Ramirez look alike contest winner...

BDD_MR_lookalike_9.21.08.jpg

Here's the simple explanantion from Adam Kilgore:

When Lester got Mike Napoli out on that fly to the warning track in left to end the seventh, in his mind, he thought he was done. When pitching coach John Farrell asked Lester if he was done, Lester, without giving it much thought, replied, "Yes." Even though Lester later said he could go back out, Terry Francona thought it was dangerous to take a pitcher who mentally turned it off and then send him back out, anyway. Plus, he had thrown 109 pitches -- only a hyper-quick inning likely would have prevented a mid-inning pitching change. Let there be no mistake: Jon Lester has been the best player in these playoffs, on any team in any league. I don't see how you could argue otherwise.

Im glad it worked out because if Masterson gave up the go ahead run, we'd be talking about game #5 in LA.

ALCS starting pitchers for Boston: (As it stands today)

#1 Josh Beckett

#2 Jon Lester

#3 DiceK

#4 Tim Wakefield- because of his 19-2 record against the Rays

I'd like to see the Phillies in the world series against the Rays.

Rays against Boston is sure to go 6 or 7 games and will be an excellent series.

I also feel the LA series will go 6 or 7 games.

as no one but me and c23 care, the Dodgers are playing great

and capable of beating anyone left. I probably jinxed them

now but I hope for the best.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona today announced his rotation for the ALCS:

Game 1: Daisuke Matsuzaka

Game 2: Josh Beckett

Game 3: Jon Lester

Game 4: Tim Wakefield

Game 5: Matsuzaka

Game 6: Beckett

Game 7: Lester

Still waiting on the Ray's rotation...

In Manny news:

Agent Scott Boras has let it be known through his media outlets that the expectation is for at least five years and $85 million in a deal for Ramirez.

Red Sox have fan in Manny-

LOS ANGELES -- Three days away from playing in his new franchise's first National League Championship Series in 20 years, Manny Ramirez had no reason to believe the Dodgers could not continue to win with the loose clubhouse atmosphere he's helped create.

After all, he's still on vacation. "That's right," Ramirez said. "The Red Sox are paying my salary."

As long as that's the case, Ramirez spent his Sunday night off watching the Red Sox in Game 3 of their American League Division Series against the Angels, rooting on his former teammates with whom he spent so many grueling playoff runs.

"I've got my boy David Ortiz and [Mike] Lowell and all those guys," Ramirez said. "I'm pulling for them."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

May all the cover jinx come his way:

BDD_MR_sicover_10.13.08.jpg

(nice to see the NHL is getting a little coverage too- see top right corner of cover)

I also feel the LA series will go 6 or 7 games.

as no one but me and c23 care, the Dodgers are playing great

and capable of beating anyone left. I probably jinxed them

now but I hope for the best.

Med, don't worry I'm rooting for the Dodgers too and I like your chances.

I'm looking for Billingsly to shutdown the Phils. IMO probaly the most overlooked pitcher in Major League baseball because he doesnt play in Boston or New York.

Red Sox manager Terry Francona today announced his rotation for the ALCS:

Still waiting on the Ray's rotation...

In Manny news:

Agent Scott Boras has let it be known through his media outlets that the expectation is for at least five years and $85 million in a deal for Ramirez.

Red Sox have fan in Manny-

LOS ANGELES -- Three days away from playing in his new franchise's first National League Championship Series in 20 years, Manny Ramirez had no reason to believe the Dodgers could not continue to win with the loose clubhouse atmosphere he's helped create.

After all, he's still on vacation. "That's right," Ramirez said. "The Red Sox are paying my salary."

As long as that's the case, Ramirez spent his Sunday night off watching the Red Sox in Game 3 of their American League Division Series against the Angels, rooting on his former teammates with whom he spent so many grueling playoff runs.

"I've got my boy David Ortiz and [Mike] Lowell and all those guys," Ramirez said. "I'm pulling for them."

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081006&content_id=3598845&vkey=ps2008news&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb' target="_blank">http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb[/post]

May all the cover jinx come his way:

BDD_MR_sicover_10.13.08.jpg

(nice to see the NHL is getting a little coverage too- see top right corner of cover)

That is not nice TSA the SI jinx to the Dodgers. :P (yes I know you hate Manny but

I cant go against my team :unsure: I dont like him either )

Med, don't worry I'm rooting for the Dodgers too and I like your chances.

I'm looking for Billingsly to shutdown the Phils. IMO probaly the most overlooked pitcher in Major League baseball because he doesnt play in Boston or New York.

Thanks Quince. I hope you are right. :)

That is not nice TSA the SI jinx to the Dodgers. :P (yes I know you hate Manny but

I cant go against my team :unsure: I dont like him either )

Its not personal Med nor is it to the Dodgers, just to that player we dont speak of.

If the Dodgers won Id be happy.....as long as you know who had nothing to do with the win.

Edit: Kiss of death for the Red Sox :(

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2008/10/world_series_ti_2.html' target="_blank">http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/reds...eries_ti_2.html[/post]

So.....guess who's going to game 3 of the ALCS on Monday............ ;)

I have the sox in 6. I know they havent faired vey well vs. Rays this year but I think with the playoff experience the sox have they will be able to pull out 4 wins and move on to the Series. But I agree , the Rays are tough, and most of all, they are hungry.

So.....guess who's going to game 3 of the ALCS on Monday............ ;)

You lucky guy!!!!! Where are your seats?

Welcome Smittyfan, I like you already ;)

The Red Sox didnt fare too well against the Angels either but limped right into Anaheim and took down the #1 team in MLB, on their home field with a wounded line up. Anything is possible.

On paper, I like the Rays better and think their pitching is superior to the Red Sox. If Beckett is healthy, I think Beckett and Lester are stronger starters but the Rays's have more starters that are consistent. The Rays bullpen is way better than the Red Sox but for a closer I'd take Papelbon anyday.

X-factor for the Red Sox- If David Ortiz can hit.

X-factor for the Rays- how will they handle Fenway. I know they took 2 out of 3 in the final series there but the ALCS is a whole different animal. Just ask the Angels ;)

You lucky guy!!!!! Where are your seats?

Welcome Smittyfan, I like you already ;)

Thanks TSA. Great to be here. I have been a Sox fan all my life, inherited that from my grandpa lol. I finally got to go to Fenway Park Labor Day Weekend, awesome place to see a game. I felt like a kid again watching the games. Simply awesome!

Thanks TSA. Great to be here. I have been a Sox fan all my life, inherited that from my grandpa lol. I finally got to go to Fenway Park Labor Day Weekend, awesome place to see a game. I felt like a kid again watching the games. Simply awesome!

I inherited my fandom from my Grandpa too. Not to sound like a snob (I guess if I have to qualify that, I am a snob :huh: ) but there's no better place to take in a ballgame and get the full effect of an intimate classic old time ballpark, with it's own block party outside before an after every game.

I inherited my fandom from my Grandpa too. Not to sound like a snob but there's no better place to take in a ballgame and get the full effect of an intimate classic old time ballpark, with it's own block party outside before an after every game.

I know what you mean. Yawkey Way was always hoppin! We would get there 2 1/2 hours before the game and just take it all in. great place. I think we are gonna try to make Fenway and Boston an annual trip.

I would've gone Beckett-Lester-DiceK. Having Lester lined up for Game 7 could be a good thing, but I don't like the thought that we might lose in six games while using our best pitcher only once.

I would've gone Beckett-Lester-DiceK. Having Lester lined up for Game 7 could be a good thing, but I don't like the thought that we might lose in six games while using our best pitcher only once.

I was thinking the same thing, if the sox are facing elimination should they start lester in game 6? I think so.