The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Guess the ump was tired and decided to put the squeeze on Timlin. Then again, I'd be curious to hear why Tito went with Timlin over Byrd there. Timlin should be the option of last resort.

I think he had to go with Timlin now or never because if they didnt, why did they add him to the roster at all. I would have preferred Byrd too cause when Timlin came out, I groaned. But he did get squeezed bad and didnt really give up the game. Drew could have thrown out Fuentes if his throw was on target.

Oh well, Im happy with a split coming out of Tampa but I have some real concerns with Beckett moving forward. Fortunately we can have Lester go twice if needed for the series. Never would have known that last nights starting pitchers were both the aces.

Scott Kazmir is a walking home run at this point. I think he's nicked up as is Beckett.

And I don't know if it's the TBS telecast or what, but I think the strike zone's looked small for both teams both games. And "pitchtrax" is a joke.

And I don't know if it's the TBS telecast or what, but I think the strike zone's looked small for both teams both games. And "pitchtrax" is a joke.

Last night's strike zone was small all along and then was about the size of a shoe box by the end. And yeah, pitchtrax is useless.

While at the game last night, is was odd. Everybody there, Bolts and the few Canes fans, were all excited to see Tampa win/winning... the rink stayed open and we watched the game until it ended. Didn't know it was going to do that long. We left not too far after the Canes game, and they had it playing inside on the Jumbotron, and outside on the wall of the parking garage. Everyone (except for the Sox fans :P) were in unison when we were winning (we being Rays ;))

Close pitches cause benches to clear

Martin plunked, buzzed before Kuroda nearly hits Victorino

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

LOS ANGELES -- Benches cleared moments after warnings were issued to both teams in the top of the third inning of Sunday night's Game 3 of the National League Championship Series at Dodger Stadium, with the Dodgers leading, 6-1.

Dodgers catcher Russell Martin, hit with a curveball in the first inning by Phillies starter Jamie Moyer, had a Clay Condrey fastball buzz under his chin in the bottom of the second inning before grounding into a double play. An angry Martin slammed his helmet and pounded a cooler in the dugout.

With two outs in the top of the third inning, Dodgers pitcher Hiroki Kuroda threw the first pitch behind the head of former Dodgers farmhand Shane Victorino, who yelled at Kuroda, pointing at his head while plate umpire Mike Everitt issued warnings to both benches and Kuroda.

Victorino grounded out to first base to end the inning. When the play ended, Victorino continued complaining to Kuroda, who was nearby having come off the mound to cover first. Kuroda took a step toward Victorino and both benches and bullpens emptied.

No contact was made, but Dodgers left fielder Manny Ramirez had to be restrained from going after Phillies reliever J.C. Romero, and first-base coaches Mariano Duncan of the Dodgers and Davey Lopes of the Phillies had to be restrained by their respective club personnel.

Umpires met between innings but nobody was ejected.

The incident was a follow-up to the first inning of Game 2, when Phillies starter Brett Myers threw under Martin's chin and behind Ramirez's head in the first inning of Philadelphia's 8-5 victory.

Hmmm....so he's even sticking up for teamates now? And the Academy Award goes to......... <_<

I was just reading that TSA, on the mlb.com website. Heh. Oh well, Dodgers are taking care of them at the moment. :) Go Med!

I was just reading that TSA, on the mlb.com website. Heh. Oh well, Dodgers are taking care of them at the moment. :) Go Med!

Thanks C23 the Dodgers needed that game. The xtra curriclar stuff was well :rolleyes: who cares

I just hope for another win to square the series at 2. Go Blue

Sox game was well.....not good with Beckett looking lost and Timlin pitching when he should be

a bench coach at this point. Bring in Wake before him or at least Byrd.

oh well.........

What was so important that Red Sox Nation fled Fenway in the 8th inning today? Was there a bomb scare? A Monday Night Football viewing party? Oh, I know... everyone wanted to be home to see OMG~MANNY play on Fox this evening.

That was the worst game I've ever been to. Oh my gosh that was awful. I've never been that bored at a sporting event in my life. As much as I love Lester, he was just depressing to watch tonight. After he gave up that first run he just looked defeated, like he didn't care. Also as much as everyone wanted Ellsbury to replace Coco last year, we need Coco to start in CF now. He looks just terrible. And thank GOD that Cash is playing instead of Tek tomorrow.

I wish I'd just gone to the Canes game tonight. I loved getting back to Fenway after 3+ years (I actually met Luis Tiant and saw Peter Gammons) and the atmosphere before the game was unreal, but that game ruined this whole little mini-vactation of mine.

I want to see a line up tomorrow of: Coco (CF), Pedroia (2B), Ortiz (DH), Youkilis (3B), Bay (LF), Lowrie (SS), Kotsay (RF), Casey (1B), Cash ©

Drew, Ellsbury, and Varitek don't deserve a spot in the lineup anymore. I would try and put someone in for Ortiz, but I don't know if anyone else is actually left on the bench. He's been dreadful as well, it hurts to watch but he's just not right.

Oh MAN what a night. I couldn't believe my eyes when I turned on the tube. 5-0?!?! Wow, that shocked the living bejeebies out of me. Off of Lester no doubt. In Fenway....

:o

Glad I went to the Canes game. I dont know what happened and I dont care, I just hope it doesnt happen again, lol.

Upton, Longoria, and Baldelli happened. B.J.'s homer went about 900 feet, and Rocco's would have had it not hit the Sports Authority sign over the Monster.

I missed the first half of the game, but Lester didn't have his stuff. Byrd was serviceable and just made one bad pitch in the 8th. The Sox fans I deal with think they're cooked. I don't see it, personally.

As much I'm telling myself this series is a long way from over, today was really discouraging, no two ways about it. We ought to be able to hit Sonnanstine, yet he shut us down twice in September.

I'm with you on Ellsbury, c'nb. He needs to sit. You can't have a black hole at the top of the your lineup and that's what he is right now.

As much I'm telling myself this series is a long way from over, today was really discouraging, no two ways about it. We ought to be able to hit Sonnanstine, yet he shut us down twice in September.

I'm with you on Ellsbury, c'nb. He needs to sit. You can't have a black hole at the top of the your lineup and that's what he is right now.

We have one batting 3rd too.

We ought to be able to hit Sonnanstine, yet he shut us down twice in September.

Sonnanstine is deceptively effective. He's been that way since he was down here in AA two years ago, where he was an automatic W seemingly every time he went out. He doesn't have electric stuff, but he's a very smart pitcher who is really tough to hit if he's hitting his spots. And he thrives on big games like this - of course, tomorrow is the biggest game of his young career.

I'm just hoping the Rays don't get psyched out by Wake's knuckler. I'm hoping they're just too young and clueless to think about these things and just go out and play. That's when they're at their best.

Bottom line is the Red Sox arent getting consistent pitching or hitting and the Rays are. If Boston doesnt find a way to get either of these tomorrow, they could be toast. If we lost a close game where we were just out pitched or out hit, it would different but you cant compete without pitching or some timely hitting.

In other news, it looks like Manny may not be getting there either.

Bottom line is the Red Sox arent getting consistent pitching or hitting and the Rays are. If Boston doesnt find a way to get either of these tomorrow, they could be toast. If we lost a close game where we were just out pitched or out hit, it would different but you cant compete without pitching or some timely hitting.

In other news, it looks like Manny may not be getting there either.

Very true on Manny but to me as a Dodger fan that was frustrating. They had a million chances to score

more runs and did not do it. Matt Stairs HR is still going.

I am just hoping to get it to a game 6 now. Otherwise it was a nice run for a dinged up LA team. (no Penny, Saito

Schmidt etc)

The Sox have to win tonight forget yesterday its over. This series is far from over if Boston wins today.

Not even close man... 11-2?!? Wow, best bud who is a Sox fan wants Philly to win and destroy the Rays when they make it to the World Series... he's jumping to conclusions too soon... I mean, theres a chance the Dodgers could still make it. ;):D:lol: