The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

Gotta love waking up to this headine this morning on dirtdogs:

"Night of the Living Dead!"

According to the Elias Sports Bureau, the comeback was the second largest in postseason history, eclipsed only by the Philadelphia A's rallying from 8-0 down to beat the Cubs in the 1929 World Series. But no team facing postseason elimination has ever come back from seven or more runs down.

Anyone else exausted this morning? And the Canes have a late night one tonight :o

Anyone else exausted this morning, lol? And the Canes have a late night one tonight :o
A late night for the Canes, indeed. And what fool did you get to do the post game analysis...? :rolleyes:

A late night for the Canes, indeed. And what fool did you get to do the post game analysis...? :rolleyes:

Hehe, did you get your instructions? ;)

Don't ask me why, but I've got a good feeling about Beckett. If they say he's really not hurt then he's gonna step it up big time, big stages present themselves for the big time pitchers. He's got to locate his fastball though.

I actually felt great today. Had a bit too much adrenaline after the game last night and guess it carried over. ;)

This post game blog is worth the read: (Joe Posnanski is a sports writer in KC)

Unbelievable

Joe Posnanski

I had another post more or less ready to go, a congratulatory post to the Tampa Bay Rays. It dies in the same trash bin where my Yankees win the 2001 World Series column, my Memphis wins the national championship column and my Greg Norman wins the Masters column now have book club meetings.

So this post won

I'm still stunned about last night's game. I didn't watch it, simply because it was 6-0 Rays in like the sixth inning or something. Then, at approx. 12:03 am this morning I saw the score in the bottomline, and I thought it was a joke lol. Boy was I wrong.

I think the BoSox comeback was ridiculous, but not surprising...if that makes any sense. Like, we all know that Boston does this just about every postseason now...so it's almost expected, for me at least. Idk...still a stunner.

Cant stop laughing over this one:

Papelbon also maintained his stance that there was never a doubt last night, despite the fact that winning a game in that manner had not been accomplished since Herbert Hoover was in office. (It's like that old saying goes, every time the global economy crumbles, a baseball team comes back from seven down to win a playoff game.) But even Papelbpon seemed awed by the Red Sox rally.

"After last night," Papelbon said. "you've seen it all."

But my memory reminds me: I was there in St. Louis two days after Albert Pujols hit the most staggering home run imaginable off Brad Lidge. And I watched Houston’s Roy Oswalt stick it in the Cardinals ear. It wasn’t just that St. Louis lost the game … the Cardinals were never even in it. And I told myself then to not forget that momentum in baseball is probably 85% myth. And realistically, the Rays have been close to invincible at home, they still have the destiny thing going, and they’re too young to know any better anyway.

Agreed with this passage 100%, re: momentum in baseball. I think there can be momentum within an individual game (and yes, I already thought that before last night), but not really one game to the next. Momentum is as good as your next starting pitcher, and Shields is really good, while Beckett (if he's the version we saw in game 2) isn't so much.

I actually turned it on in the 7th, and I'm sure glad I did! Papi finally hit one out, 61 at bats, way too long. It's a very tough call for who to pitch, if you do Beckett first and he wins, it's a great move. If he gives up 5 in 5, we'll always remember we should have pitched Lester. I say we go with Lester then Beckett, better chance of actually forcing game 7, and we could give the bullpen a rest if it goes well so they'll be there for game 7.

ST. PETERSBURG -- Enigmatic slugger Manny Ramirez spent 109 games with the Red Sox this season before his July 31 trade to the Dodgers. That equates to him spending slightly more than two-thirds of the regular season in Boston.

And according to the Boston Herald, that's the logic Ramirez's former teammates used in deciding to vote him a two-thirds playoff share after holding several meetings on the matter in late September.

It is common practice for teams to give partial playoff shares to players who don't spend the entire season with the team.

Only players who spent the entire season with the Red Sox were allowed to vote. The Herald reported that there was some debate about the matter before finally settling on a figure for Ramirez, who hit .299 with 20 homers and 68 RBIs before the trade.

Interestingly, in 2004, the Red Sox gave Nomar Garciaparra a three-quarters share, and he was traded on the same date -- July 31 -- to the Cubs.

The Herald added that Jason Bay -- the player the Red Sox acquired for Ramirez -- was voted more than a one-third share, meaning that he likely received anywhere from one-half to a three-quarters share.

Ramirez, who earned $20 million this season, will also get some type of share from the Dodgers, who were bounced by the Phillies in Game 5 of the National League Championship Series.

When the Red Sox won the World Series last year, a full share was $308,235.75 -- based on the fact that the players had a pool of $18.9 million.

The Red Sox trail the Tampa Bay Rays, 3-2, in the American League Championship Series. Game 6 will take place Saturday night at Tropicana Field.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20...sp&c_id=mlb

I actually turned it on in the 7th, and I'm sure glad I did! Papi finally hit one out, 61 at bats, way too long. It's a very tough call for who to pitch, if you do Beckett first and he wins, it's a great move. If he gives up 5 in 5, we'll always remember we should have pitched Lester. I say we go with Lester then Beckett, better chance of actually forcing game 7, and we could give the bullpen a rest if it goes well so they'll be there for game 7.

Can they hold the thunder for the next two games?

Starting Line ups:

Red Sox line up:

1. Coco Crisp, CF

2. Dustin Pedroia, 2B

3. David Ortiz, DH

4. Kevin Youkilis, 3B

5. J.D. Drew, RF

6. Jason Bay, LF

7. Mark Kotsay, 1B

8. Jed Lowrie, SS

9. Jason Varitek, C

SP -- Josh Beckett

Rays line up:

1. Akinori Iwamura, 2B

2. B.J. Upton, CF

3. Carlos Pena, 1B

4. Evan Longoria, 3B

5. Carl Crawford, LF

6. Cliff Floyd, DH

7. Dioner Navarro, C

8. Gabe Gross, RF

9. Jason Bartlett, SS

SP: James Shields

And for your viewing pleasure: :D

and..

http://link.brightcove.com/services/link/b...bctid1863282402

Gotta love TBS having "technical difficulties" in what is sure to be the highest rated game of the playoffs thus far.

You're handling this much better than I am. Bloopers...seriously???

TBS... very funny.

Are you getting the rolling message about the technical difficulties? Good thing MLB contracted this series with TBS.

SARCASM WARNING!!!!!

YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOUUUKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Rays are cooked. Done. Toast. Finished. Through.

Maybe if I say that, they'll miraculously turn things around inexplicably. Not that something like THAT hasn't happened before... or even this week.....

*sigh*

burnttoast.jpg

even though I am not a fan, good luck to the Rays in the W Series. I think

it has the potential to be a very good one.

I hope all of you are happy.

Anything can happen in a game #7.

Rays are going to feel their first game #7 pressure of elimination, it'll be interesting to see how they do. If they win, they'll take it all the way, but if they lose, they'll be one step closer for next season and no one can say they're inexperienced anymore.

I really would have been ok with the Sox losing tonight after that performance they turned in for game #5...but this is fine too ;)

Oh, and TBS gets a big FAIL from me for that broadcast. Note to MLB: only sign contracts with legitimate stations.

The Rays are cooked. Done. Toast. Finished. Through.

Maybe if I say that, they'll miraculously turn things around inexplicably. Not that something like THAT hasn't happened before... or even this week.....

I hope all of you are happy.

Technically, I didnt really "say" it. :lol:

I will never doubt Beckett in the post season again. I do like our chances with Lester, especially coming off of one of his worst outings of the year.

This is EXACTLY why I hated the Sox. They get down, get up and take it all. Sox = Roaches. They never go away. Oh, you think you've got them after dropping some boric acid, placing some motels here and there..... you don't worry about them for a while, and then what is this?!?!?!?

THEY COME BACK!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: