The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

This is EXACTLY why I hated the Sox. They get down, get up and take it all. Sox = Roaches. They never go away. Oh, you think you've got them after dropping some boric acid, placing some motels here and there..... you don't worry about them for a while, and then what is this?!?!?!?

THEY COME BACK!!!!! :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Yes, when an meteor hits the earth and kills us all, the only things that will survive will be fungi, maggots, and the Red Sox.

Don't get me wrong. I would still like to have Pedroi and Bay on the Yankees, even Lester.

The Sox will win tonight now. It's been determined. God is tired of the Steinbrenners, and will not let them win anymore , or their fans for that matter, until they leave the Yankees.

Sox, stay tuned. This too will happen to you. Maybe not this year or within the next 5 years, but sooner or later, you'll start losing, and Toronto, Baltimore and Tampa will be the kings of the ALEast, laughing at Sox and Yanks fans alike...

Maybe I've done enough venting? :):lol:

you'll start losing, and Toronto, Baltimore]/strike] and Tampa will be the kings of the ALEast, laughing at Sox and Yanks fans alike...

We already won the division title this season... with all that young talent. It's gonna happen sooner rather than later. No matter what happens tonight.

Regarding tonight... who knows? I can see anything happening tonight. 15 innings, a Red Sox blowout, a Rays blowout, a nailbiter, a beanball war breaking out, TBS showing Frank TV reruns rather than the game...

Either way, I'll be in the fetal position.

We already won the division title this season... with all that young talent. It's gonna happen sooner rather than later. No matter what happens tonight.

Regarding tonight... who knows? I can see anything happening tonight. 15 innings, a Red Sox blowout, a Rays blowout, a nailbiter, a beanball war breaking out, TBS showing Frank TV reruns rather than the game...

I was hoping for more bloopers and Steve Harvey :rolleyes:

I'm watching the game tonight. Last night, I didn't watch it hoping that would help the Rays win. And yeah, the Rays have won the East. Forgot about that in the midst of all this LCS drama. I'm hoping for the rays to win it, but if they don't, I am VERY proud of them. They kicked the Yanks behinds, they kicked the Sox behind. I hope they continue to be a dominating presence in the East (second to the Yanks :P) for years to come.

I'm watching the game tonight. Last night, I didn't watch it hoping that would help the Rays win. And yeah, the Rays have won the East. Forgot about that in the midst of all this LCS drama. I'm hoping for the rays to win it, but if they don't, I am VERY proud of them. They kicked the Yanks behinds, they kicked the Sox behind. I hope they continue to be a dominating presence in the East (second to the Yanks :P) for years to come.

Dont worry C23, the Yankees are still making headlines. I had to hear about Joba Chamberlain's DUI on XM today about 50 times. Jeez, those Steinbrenners will do anything to keep the attention on them. :P

Im just waiting for Scott Boras to interupt tonight's game to make an announcement about Manny signing with the Yankees :rolleyes:

The only way the Rays stay like this is if they spend some $$. The young guys are going to want

to get paid and sadly Tampa will probably not be able to pay them.

good luck tonight. It has been a great year baseball wise no matter what. :)

Sox Game 7 lineup : Lowrie out, Cora in

1. Coco Crisp CF

2. Dustin Pedroia 2B

3. David Ortiz DH

4. Kevin Youkilis 3B

5. J.D. Drew RF

6. Jason Bay LF

7. Mark Kotsay 1B

8. Jason Varitek C

9. Alex Cora SS

-- John Lester, SP

Rays

1. Akinori Iwamura, 2B

2. B.J. Upton, CF

3. Carlos Pena, 1B

4. Evan Longoria, 3B

5. Carl Crawford, LF

6. Willy Aybar, DH

7. Dioner Navarro, C

8. Rocco Baldelli, RF

9. Jason Bartlett, SS

-- Matt Garza, SP

Gabe Gross has been benched.

Tito Francona has posted a different line up for all 7 games. Papelbon is available and go 2 if needed.

Congrats Rays fans, well deserved win. Bringing in Price was a great move.

Take down Philly ;)

This is the cool thing about not being a big baseball fan. I dont have a team that I follow thats already been eliminated.. so I dont care who wins the World Series.. just get to sit back and watch, and the cool thing is I have reasons to root for both teams. My in-laws are from Philly so we will be rooting for the Phillies, but at the same time, I'd love to see the Rays make history and win a world series on thier first ever trip to the playoffs in franchise history. Should be a heck of a Series... Go Phillies! Go Rays!

Tip of the cap and congrats to the Rays. Lester was good, but Garza was better. We were outhit and outpitched (though not outdefended) for seven games.

In the end, the differences were starting pitching (as it usually is) and the fact that Tampa could get production from up and down their lineup, whereas ours had too many holes that prevented us from being able to string together rallies. Between Ortiz, Ellsbury and the weak bottom third of order, we had to rely too much on the quartet of Pedroia, Youk, Drew and Bay. Whereas Tampa got big hits from guys like Bartlett and Aybar to go with Longoria, Pena and co.

We only got two quality starts from our starters (6 IP or more & 3 ER or less), those being games 1 and 7. Tampa got five, those being every game except games 2 and 6. Not to mention that our starters gave up about 800 home runs in this series.

Take down Philly ;)

I'm not with you there. Sorry Rays fans, but I've never been able to bring myself to pull for a team that knocked out one of my teams (in any sport), and that isn't changing now. Go Phils.

Tip of the cap and congrats to the Rays. Lester was good, but Garza was better. We were outhit and outpitched (though not outdefended) for seven games.

In the end, the differences were starting pitching (as it usually is) and the fact that Tampa could get production from up and down their lineup, whereas ours had too many holes that prevented us from being able to string together rallies. Between Ortiz, Ellsbury and the weak bottom third of order, we had to rely too much on the quartet of Pedroia, Youk, Drew and Bay. Whereas Tampa got big hits from guys like Bartlett and Aybar.

We only got two quality starts from our starters (6 IP or more & 3 ER or less), those being games 1 and 7. Tampa got five, those being every game except games 2 and 6. Not to mention that our starters gave up about 800 home runs in this series.

I'll reitrate what I said after game #5. Whatever the outcome, Im proud of the team and what they got done this year. Limping into the playoffs with half an Ortiz, half a Beckett, half a Drew, no Manny after weeks of a useless Manny, no Mike Lowell and Ellsbury basically being MIA, was pretty impressive. Like Warbird said, they got no production from the 1 and 3 hitters and very random production from 7-9. They had their 1st baseman playing 3rd, their outfileder playing 1st and the bullpen only discovered their consistency in the post season. Would have been real interesting to see what a semi healthy team would have done during both the season and the post season.

You cant win every year but they sure came close.

Congrats to the Rays as they played more consistent and better and they deserved to win this.

Good luck to them vs Philly. I am sure they will represent the AL well. I give them full credit from bouncing

back when full momentum seemed against them (kind of like our Canes in 06)

They have a great shot of winning this. Good luck.

Congratulations to the Rays and to those of you guys who are Rays fans. They were the better team in this series. And they sure deserve to be there. As much as it pains me that the Sox lost I have to agree with what TSA has said. I am proud of this team for even getting as far as they did with all the injurys they had this season and some inconsistant play. I am proud of them.

I probably should've said as much in my last post, but I am proud of the Sox. They showed a champion's fight and took the Rays to the wire with a makeshift lineup. If both teams were 100% healthy, I'd be more than willing to take my chances with the group we assembled. I knew we were better than we showed in games 2-4 and I'm proud of how they responded.

I'm just glad to be in a place where the Red Sox fans aren't a bunch of jerks... like some other places I frequent on these here internets.

I was rocking back and forth like Rain Man the entire game - and Kotsay's harmless flyout nearly gave me a heart attack - until Maddon summoned Price in. And then everything was okay. David Price was the ONLY guy available (save for starters Sonnanstine and MAYBE Kazmir) that I trusted to slam the door. Makes me wonder even more why he wasn't brought in during Game 5.

Credit to the Red Sox: the champs aren't supposed to be KO'ed in the middle rounds of a title fight. They're SUPPOSED to get back up off the canvas, against all odds, no matter how dinged up they are, and come back punching, and punch back they did. I was completely terrified. Boston fans have nothing to be ashamed of.

I'm happy the Rays won, because had they not, all they would've been remembered for is the Game 5 collapse. And this team is too special for that to be their legacy. I don't know what happens from here. I think Tampa Bay is better than the Phillies. Hamels is better than any pitcher the Rays have, but I'll take any Tampa starter ahead of anyone else Philly throws. If we can hit Lester, Beckett, and Dice-K... we can hit these guys easy. Rolins, Utley, Howard, and Burrell makes a nice offense, but the Rays have proven they can score from all over the lineup. Philly definitely had the bullpen edge until last night, and I think if Maddon can use Price like Mike Scioscia used K-Rod in the Angels' 2002 run (where Maddon was an assistant) the bullpen woes may solve themselves.

The Rays looked into the mirror last night, and just like the champs they had knocked down, they themselves got back to their feet and brought the fight back to the Sox. This team has all sorts of character and they're gonna win the World Series. To paraphrase Vin Scully after Gibby beat the A's in '88:

In a year that has been so improbable, the impossible will happen. Rays in six.

I know the Sox lost last night, but I'm really proud of how this team competed this year. Beckett has been hurt off and on all year, Ortiz has been hurt since May, Lowell missed most of the playoffs and most of September, Drew missed most of September and played hurt in the playoffs, Julio Lugo has been hurt since June (that may have actually helped), and Dice K was on the DL once. Couple those with the absolute ineffectiveness of Ellsbury, Cora, Lowrie and Varitek and that was what the Sox were dealing with. I'm amazed that these guys were able to take a team as talented as the Rays to 7 games.

They played most of the playoffs on grit and heart and because of that I'm not that upset about last night. Lester was obviously at the end of his rope, I just wish he hadn't been so burned out so we could've seen him match Garza in Games 3 and 7. I'm amazed that with the all the guys they had that were hurt that they could take the Rays to 7 games.

I'm hoping that they can get Ortiz, Beckett and Lowell healthy for next year. Also as much as I absolutely love Jason Varitek, it is obvious he simply doesn't have any batting skill left, he's the definition of a guaranteed out. I would love to see the Sox go after a power hitting catcher like Saltalamacchia from the Braves and a new shortstop who's a more consistent hitter. I liked Lowrie, but he was so hot for a long time, and then bombed for the last part of the year and the playoffs, plus he is more of the build of a 2B man and we've already got a pretty good one. ;)

I want to see the Phillies win the Series just because I can't stand some of the guys on Tampa's team like Garza, Shields, Gomes, Bartlett and Longoria and I can't stand to see a team who knocked one of my favorite teams out end up succeeding.

One thing about this loss is that maybe some of the ridiculous bandwagon fans for the Sox will get off the train. At least I'm hoping so. Actually right now I've been hearing a lot of bandwagon Rays fans around my school. That is kind of pissing me off too.....I hate bandwagoners.

Have to say that though I don't care about baseball too much, (the cubs have beat the life out of me as a baseball fan), I will be rooting for the Rays just because I have seen so many of their players here in Durham. So I think I am really rooting for the Bulls to win a world series.

Theo Epstien on Mike Lowell:

Third baseman Mike Lowell's surgery this morning was "a complete success" and his doctors were "pleasantly surprised" with the condition of Lowell's labrum in his right hip, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said this afternoon.

Doctors removed two bony lesions and some tiny portions of the labrum in his hip. "It was a complete success, and they'll start his recovery tomorrow," Epstein said. The recovery is expected to be 3-4 months, but it could be less than that, Epstein said. Doctors also released an abductor in his labrum, which has to do with his tendons. Epstein is confident Lowell will be back at full strength by the time spring training begins.

On Jason Varitek:

I'm sorry guys, but during the game last night, I too was doing my best impression of Rain Man. Back and forth, clapping, hooting... I enjoyed the series, it was a great series. BoSox gave a great run for it.. but like I said, I was happy not to hear other BoSox fans saying "Yeah, Bostons the best, we beat the Yanks, Indians, and the Rays and came back from 3-0 and 3-1 deficits!! Yeah!" Poor Tampa would never ever hear the end of it.... so I was gloating, cheering, calling ALL my Sox friends last night (and here in Ft. Myers, there are MANY Sox fans due to the Spring Training Facility) at midnight. They were PISSED beyond means and measures.... Lester was good, but Garza was better. And Price... man, he was astounding. 3 k, 1 BB and 1.1 innings of work. Saved the game. He might be the closer for the rest of the series. After this year, I will try to work hard on supporting the Yanks, Rays and Red Sox. Now that Manny's gone, the Sox haven't won back to back years, and Schilling is more than likely done... possibly Tek too, I think I can truly root for the Sox at times. Not your typical Yanks fan, but hey, I'm not your typical Yanks fan.

Ok, I think I've vented enough. Congrats to the Rays and a big thank you for a great ALCS. How come it's usually the ALCS that brings the most drama, most nerve racking games??? The WS has been swept back and forth, but the ALCS has really done it for me the past few years. Not since Houston/St Louis NLCS championship have I really noticed a great series. Maybe it's just me.

I dont really understand how any Red Sox fan could feel pissed beyond means with this. Disappointed maybe, but anger for a team who fought through everything and never gave up, even when things looked the absolute worst? I dont know anyone who's angry over this and Ive talked to a lot of Sox fans today. Pretty much everyone shares the same sentiment that all us Sox fans here have posted.

Well the way I felt even for us to make the playoffs this season was amazing I think. With all the injurys that the Sox had and all the stuff that went on with Ramirez and how inconsistant some players were like I said I think us even making the playoffs this year was amazing. Then when we had to play the Angels in the first round I figured well the Angels will just walk all over us and sweep us right out of the playoffs. I mean so for us to get as far as we did I am so proud of this team. Am I disapointed. Of course I am because you always want to see your team win a championship but like TSA said how can you really be mad at the Sox for losing. And for us to even take the Rays who have been one of the toughest teams in the Majors this season to 7 games. I am very disapointed but proud of my team for getting how far thay did.

Ok, I think I've vented enough. Congrats to the Rays and a big thank you for a great ALCS. How come it's usually the ALCS that brings the most drama, most nerve racking games??? The WS has been swept back and forth, but the ALCS has really done it for me the past few years. Not since Houston/St Louis NLCS championship have I really noticed a great series. Maybe it's just me.

The Mets-Cards LCS in '06 was good. But this year's playoffs have felt a ton more dramatic after last year's sweepfest. And here's hoping for a long series here, since the WS hasn't gone more than five games since 2003.

Oh yes, thats right warbird. I SOOOO thought Mets were going to win when Endy Chavez made that leaping catch at the wall to rob the Cardinals of a homerun! Man, man man... that was crushing as well.... But yea, this years WS hopefully will be eventful and great, but I ultimately hope the Rays win.