The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
Sign in to follow this  
warbird-1

MLB Thread: Offseason

I will be rooting for the Rays just because I have seen so many of their players here in Durham. So I think I am really rooting for the Bulls to win a world series.

This is PRECISELY the reason I am a Rays fan. I could've cared less about Tampa's pathetic little team until the AA team moved from Orlando to Montgomery in 2004 and re-christened themselves the Biscuits. Sure, the name was/is absolutely ludicrous, but all that was out the door the first time I went to the park that May. Good luck finding a finer minor league establishment than the yard built into the old train station in downtown Montgomery, because Riverwalk Stadium is fabulous.

Been a season ticket holder for, yes, a minor league baseball team for the past four years now. And when you see Shields, Kazmir, Upton, Sonnanstine, Riggans, Ruggiano, Longoria, Perez, Price and the other spot guys that have had a cup of coffee with the big club like Hammel and Brignac come play for your team and help them win back to back Southern League titles, the team those guys wind up with - the Rays - sorta become your defacto favorite team. The 4x6 of me and Perez by the dugout that I keep on my desk at home is one of my favorite pictures.

No, I haven't suffered thru the decade of destruction that was the Devil Rays. But this is still my team....

AND THAT'S WHY IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII.... LOVE... THIS... TOWN!

Edited to add: If the Rays beat Hamels tonight, look out for the sweep.

The Phils have to win Hamels' starts. That's their only chance: win both of his starts and hope they can scrap together two other wins from their other starters. Hamels is murder on lefthanders, so the Rays will need their righthanded bats (Longoria and Upton, namely) to come through tonight.

And fwiw, I'll take the Rays in 6.

Wow. If it wasn't for Utley homering off Kazmir, Rays would of had this one. One swing does that though. I think Rays will come back strong tomorrow night though. They faced a GREAT pitcher in Hamels.

The Phils have to win Hamels' starts. That's their only chance: win both of his starts and hope they can scrap together two other wins from their other starters. Hamels is murder on lefthanders, so the Rays will need their righthanded bats (Longoria and Upton, namely) to come through tonight.

And fwiw, I'll take the Rays in 6.

Hamels was great but Lidge was just filthy. Kazmir did fine and they were set up with the big bats in the bottom on the ninth but Lidge was scary good. If the Rays want to win one, they're going to have to have the lead and avoid Lidge.

Philly has the best bullpen in the Majors, but Tampa has the better overall pitching. I think Lidge threw a slider on every pitch last night when I watching which is rediculous however Garza, Sonnastine, and Shields > Myers, Moyer, and Blanton.

The Phils won't any more games 3-2. They've got to score more. Can't keeping winning when you go 0-for-whatever with men in scoring position.

No kidding, just ask David Ortiz. :P

A rainout is good for the Phils. It would allow Hamels to pitch Game 4 on normal rest. However, that would leave him on only two days rest supposing the series goes seven and there isn't another rainout. If we get two rainouts in Philly, the Rays could be in trouble.

All that being said, the Rays HAVE to beat Moyer. I don't like the thought of the Rays having to face Hamels when trailing in the series or even tied. Get up 2-1 or 3-1 and deal with Hamels when there is some cushion. Make Philly throw him on short rest because they have no other choice.

So did no one else stay up last night?

Anyway, that doesn't bode well for the Rays. Garza vs. Moyer figured to the matchup where they had the biggest advantage. Now they really have to win tonight, don't want to face Hamels in an elimination game.

yeah im anxious to see the game tonight, if we could just get our offense clicking again and tighten up a little with our bullpen i think the rays will do alright.

The delay, and the wind, didn't help the Rays. Longoria had a shot last night stay in the park due to the wind I thought. And Garza being the way he is didn't help himself.. He was ready at 8:35, had to wait an hour and ahalf ... sure they took his edge off, whatever...

Just checking in and it doesnt look good for the Rays tonight right now. Their bullpen has been having a tough time keeping them in games. Im not sure how the Rays will respond if they go down 3 games to 1 but so far they've responded well to everything all season.

Philly in 6.

I DUNNO... I'm hoping the Rays sneak back into this one. Hoping Phillies bullpen implodes and Rays secure the deal.

I DUNNO... I'm hoping the Rays sneak back into this one. Hoping Phillies bullpen implodes and Rays secure the deal.

you and me both....not looking good for us....but neither has the last ten years i guess.

:lol: Either way, you've gotta be proud of the Rays. From worst to 1st, and going to the WS?! I want to see what happens next year... but I still want to enjoy seeing the Rays now though. ;)

:lol: Either way, you've gotta be proud of the Rays. From worst to 1st, and going to the WS?! I want to see what happens next year... but I still want to enjoy seeing the Rays now though. ;)

Regardless of the outcome of this series, the Rays have had a great year and there's no reason they shouldnt play as well next year.

Philly is just playing some great baseball right now.

Some great baseball, some great weather for the Phils, and some great umpiring.. <_<

Dont both teams have to contend with the same weather during the game? Playing in a dome has its disatvantages too. ;)

Rays are toast for this game, lets see what they come back with next game...

Both teams play in the weather, yes, but much like the Rays have the advantage of the Dome, the Phils are probably enjoying the cold weather than the Rays right now

(Speaking of which, it's suppose to dip down to 56 tonight! Woohoo! Opening the windows for that one ;))

Phils have done a good job though, and Blanton and Moyer were the biggest surprises of the series so far. Everyone was saying Hamels this and Hamels that... Blanton and Moyer have stolen the game for the Phils, plain and simple. Longoria has been shut out, and BJ and Crawford have been held back by good pitching.

Both teams play in the weather, yes, but much like the Rays have the advantage of the Dome, the Phils are probably enjoying the cold weather than the Rays right now

(Speaking of which, it's suppose to dip down to 56 tonight! Woohoo! Opening the windows for that one ;))

Phils have done a good job though, and Blanton and Moyer were the biggest surprises of the series so far. Everyone was saying Hamels this and Hamels that... Blanton and Moyer have stolen the game for the Phils, plain and simple. Longoria has been shut out, and BJ and Crawford have been held back by good pitching.

I wonder what Maddon has up his sleeve now? Is this their first elimination game? I bet Maddon does something completely out of the box to spark the team. If it wasnt Hamels pitching, Id say the Rays bring it back to Florida for one more, but I dont know.....